REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #13601
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
my friend forgot his camera was gonna film for u nigs , barefoot is money yo

bunch of warmup deadlifts
5plates x 6
4plates x 11
ended with 30 min cardio

beta alanine+ creatine money
Advertisement
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #13602
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I bet you'll see big gains in your first few months if you have the right diet. If you ever get self-consious about the relatively low weights you're at right now, just remind yourself that even the biggest guy in the gym was at one point where you are now. Tall guys like Berz, Halo, you and I have much greater ranges of motion making our weights a bit lower than a short guy with comparable strength as well.
Posted via RS Mobile
im 6'6, and when i started my stronglift, this is how i started. imagine what people thought

squat : 80
bench : 140
row : 75
dl : 100
oh press : 50

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #13603
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Couldn't figure out how to do reverse deadlift, everytime i got up i just ended up hitting my ass with bar, causing me to do some weird motion.

Just a little hip drive makes a biggg difference in squating.. i learned that the hard way LOL

by the way, going to have and extra tub of muscle milk and orange triad after i order(notsurewhen), anyone is interested pm
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #13604
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strykn View Post
my friend forgot his camera was gonna film for u nigs , barefoot is money yo

bunch of warmup deadlifts
5plates x 6
4plates x 11
ended with 30 min cardio

beta alanine+ creatine money
going to take a rain check for that
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #13605
-Stare-

Thanked 8,013 Times in 648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
im 6'6, and when i started my stronglift, this is how i started. imagine what people thought

holy sht bro
6'6

lol
im 6'3 and I just started squat, benc and dl too
squat:105
bench:105
dl:105

see people that is 5'7 relatively slim doing 3 plates of 45
ShadowBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #13606
I LOVE SQWAT

You guys can get stronger but I will never get taller. =(
red_sir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #13607
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_sir View Post
That's the thing, people fixate on weight as a measure of strength, but it's inaccurate. I could be just as strong as a 5'2 guy, but at 6'4 my range of motion is so much longer I can lift less. Increasing range of motion is similar to increasing reps, I think.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #13608
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
we all fixate too much on comparing numbers to other people. height, weight, bf%, weights, miles, minutes...

you do you, and ima do me.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #13609
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_sir View Post
How tall are you? Im relatively happy being 5'7, ill probably still have room to grow.

Does lifitng TOO heavy (2-3x bodyweight) stunt growth, or what is it? just a myth?
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #13610
I bringith the lowerballerith

excuse for lazy asses not to work out
i been training 15 months and grew 3"
Posted via RS Mobile
PK6o4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #13611
Throw yo paws in da air!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
we all fixate too much on comparing numbers to other people. height, weight, bf%, weights, miles, minutes...

you do you, and ima do me.
this. honestly my weight to me doesnt mean a whole lot. i just wanna look healthy

1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
Old 02-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #13612
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
maybe if you break your back or something but no it doesn't stunt growth at all, it might even make you taller in the growing phase since you'll have more growth hormones from stuff like squats and deadlifts
Posted via RS Mobile
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #13613
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:

I remember when I started lifting I got so discouraged because I felt I was weak as shit. I could run for ages but I couldn't lift at all, lol. It was so hard to keep motivated at the start but consistently coming and seeing gains week by week kept motivating me...

I remember I started out benching with the bar only and getting super fucking tired lol. For my dumbell bench I remember starting with 25s on each hand and struggling...the humiliation I saw in myself was so hard on my ego . Then I realized that if I wanted to get genuinely strong, there shouldn't be any room for ego at all in training. I threw that shit away!
neggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #13614

i will never forget my first day in the gym. i sorta bench pressed 25lb dumbells, shoulder pressed 22.5lb dumbells, and curled 20s for like half an hour after. and looked at all the guys benching like 50lb dumbells thinking they were gods among men. and i remember my buddy saying something about benching a plate per side as the goal everyone wants to reach. i thought that was for 'the big guys' not for me. lol
Old 02-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #13615
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,397 Times in 910 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBun View Post
holy sht bro
6'6

lol
im 6'3 and I just started squat, benc and dl too
squat:105
bench:105
dl:105

see people that is 5'7 relatively slim doing 3 plates of 45
Not alone then LOL

my overhead press at 50 too LOL looks so stupid but whatever

After 3 weeks im at
80lbs bench still
140 DL
120 squat

i went from 70lbs assist on pull up to 40 lbs
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #13616
Throw yo paws in da air!

guys question for you about squats, so getting into heavy squats now (for me, my legs have always been neglected) so im reaching 200lbs for squat, but lately i haven't been able to complete the 5x5 for stronglift on squats, more like 3x5 and last 2 are just garbage lol what should i do ? lower to comfortably-heavy (185 probably) weight and do 5x5 or continue my increase of 5lbs every day i go but only be able to REALLY hit 3x5

1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
Old 02-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #13617
I LOVE SQWAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phozy View Post
How tall are you? Im relatively happy being 5'7, ill probably still have room to grow.

Does lifitng TOO heavy (2-3x bodyweight) stunt growth, or what is it? just a myth?
5'10.5 and I'm happy too.

Also agree with others, lifting won't stunt growth so no excuses! =)
red_sir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #13618
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
i will never forget my first day in the gym. i sorta bench pressed 25lb dumbells, shoulder pressed 22.5lb dumbells, and curled 20s for like half an hour after. and looked at all the guys benching like 50lb dumbells thinking they were gods among men. and i remember my buddy saying something about benching a plate per side as the goal everyone wants to reach. i thought that was for 'the big guys' not for me. lol
Yeah, I remember even before I started working out I was constantly mirin all those muscular guys that could lift all heavy, thinking to myself that even if I could be one of those guys that could lift even 50lb dumbells and squat with a plate on each side, I'd be happy as hell lol.

Time ends up flying and you don't really realize how much you've progressed and how an active lifestyle changes EVERYTHING. Feelsgoodman.

Do you guys ever see people who used to work out like crazy before and stop and you see them down the road and they aren't the same anymore? Either they end up being super fat or lose all their mass? It's kind of scary because I never want to end up like that. I always hope to keep an active lifestyle NO MATTER WHAT because I never want to go back to being obese again. I think for me, constantly mirin people like I did when I first started keeps the fire going...I just hope it never ever burns out.

Sometimes, though, I see people so dedicated and they stop and I'm like...
neggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #13619
-Stare-

Thanked 8,013 Times in 648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
Not alone then LOL

my overhead press at 50 too LOL looks so stupid but whatever

After 3 weeks im at
80lbs bench still
140 DL
120 squat

i went from 70lbs assist on pull up to 40 lbs
its just harder for taller guys to do heavier weights and look buffer
ShadowBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #13620
McFogg The Dawg is my homeboy

Thanked 1,130 Times in 286 Posts
Quote:
guys question for you about squats, so getting into heavy squats now (for me, my legs have always been neglected) so im reaching 200lbs for squat, but lately i haven't been able to complete the 5x5 for stronglift on squats, more like 3x5 and last 2 are just garbage lol what should i do ? lower to comfortably-heavy (185 probably) weight and do 5x5 or continue my increase of 5lbs every day i go but only be able to REALLY hit 3x5
if you want to continue on with your 5x5 program then maybe step back 5-15lbs and progress from there again. this is called deloading. or else just change it to a 3x5 program like what I'm doing.
i find myself not linearly progressing as much anymore. i hit 235lb squat 3x5 monday and haven't had the intensity/balls to go up another 5lbs so i just did 225lbs for reps today. actually didn't feel as easy as it did a week ago.
diet and sleep has been complete crap this week and i felt it.
on the bright side i got a new PR for deadlifts. 245lbs for 3 reps.
still not improving on bench wth is wrong with me
kevin7352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #13621
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
Or you could take the 5x5 principle and apply the work load across more sets.

In other words, you are aiming for 25 reps total, but can only do 3 good reps at a time. Instead of going backwards and lowering weight, just do as many sets as it takes to hit 25. Lower your rest times if you do this
Posted via RS Mobile
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #13622

Quote:
Originally Posted by neggo View Post
Do you guys ever see people who used to work out like crazy before and stop and you see them down the road and they aren't the same anymore? Either they end up being super fat or lose all their mass? It's kind of scary because I never want to end up like that. I always hope to keep an active lifestyle NO MATTER WHAT because I never want to go back to being obese again. I think for me, constantly mirin people like I did when I first started keeps the fire going...I just hope it never ever burns out.

Sometimes, though, I see people so dedicated and they stop and I'm like...
yea it happens. life changes and priorities change. some people just lose interest. it seems to be right around the time you have a kid that you start not worrying about the gym anymore. but then you get guys like berz who fire out a kid and hes lifting harder now than ever before.

imagine all this work and then you quit what youd be like in 10 years... ahh.. but what if you keep goin for 10 years. then what would you be like.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #13623
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

so I was wondering about something and would like some opinions....
I normally rotate couple routines for each part whenever I workout
For example, on one week on sunday, I would do bench, fly, etc and do a different routine for chest after 2 weeks.......
I was wondering if it would be better to just work on like 2 or 3 routines every 2 weeks and just push more on those 2 instead of doing like 4 routines. So for example, doing bench and fly only for like 10 sets or something with reducing weights as you go along for like 2 weeks and change to another 2 different routines....
mowontech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:46 PM   #13624
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
My current state right now, will post pictures on the BB club as well.

Was at 145 lb at the beginning of september... I bulked up till december, and started cutting. Now currently at 166 lb with BMI of 26.
Max bench: 225 Max squat: 310

Spoiler!

This one when I was at 155 lb

Spoiler!

Last edited by instantneedles; 02-04-2012 at 12:40 AM.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2012, 12:00 AM   #13625
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin7352 View Post
if you want to continue on with your 5x5 program then maybe step back 5-15lbs and progress from there again. this is called deloading. or else just change it to a 3x5 program like what I'm doing.
i find myself not linearly progressing as much anymore. i hit 235lb squat 3x5 monday and haven't had the intensity/balls to go up another 5lbs so i just did 225lbs for reps today. actually didn't feel as easy as it did a week ago.
diet and sleep has been complete crap this week and i felt it.
on the bright side i got a new PR for deadlifts. 245lbs for 3 reps.
still not improving on bench wth is wrong with me
What I find is true for most people for bench, is that when they work with lower weights and increase their rep count, their strength increases and lean muscle mass density around the chest area also increases. This lets them break free from their plateau and move up higher even if its like 30 lb. Doing multiple sets of pushups within the day also really helps too. Main thing I find helpful is to get the blood rush going, and to feel the pump within your muscle after every set.. If you don't get that pump, it could mean one of two things 1) the weight is too light for you, and its not exerting enough pressure/work on your muscles or 2) the weight is too heavy for you, and you're exerting and overcompensating too much of the weight on your tendons and ligaments which could potentially cause alot of tissue damage

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote