REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #15426
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,605 Times in 536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Because you already know everything?
this
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Rippetoe also believes that stretching is a myth and even believes it makes you more susceptible to injury.
Posted via RS Mobile
Ive torn my calf muscle 3 times and I can confidently attribute these tears from lack of stretching. Once I started stretching fully for a generous amount of time, I havent had a problem since.
Advertisement
Old 03-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #15427
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,051 Times in 676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK6o4* View Post
damn i took 8 days off, during those days i ate very low calories and protein, 2 of which was a detox diet so i ate like 400 calories a day, overall dropped from 158 - 150lbs and strength and size dropped a lot..

flat db press 80 x 5 >> 65 x 10
dumbbell shoulder press 70 x 6 >> 60 x 5
deadlift 295 x 8 >> 275 x 3

hoping to get back quick, question is does having carbs in the day help with strength in your workout or just energy levels?

I'm in the same situation as you. Took a week off, and didn't care for my nutrition. First day back today, and decided to see where my big 3's were at.

Deadlift: From 335lb, to failing 315lb
Bench Press: Went from 185 for 10 to 185 for 7
Squats - Didn't really evaluate, but struggled squatting 275lb when I usually wouldn't.

Fcukedd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #15428
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Situation View Post
this

Ive torn my calf muscle 3 times and I can confidently attribute these tears from lack of stretching. Once I started stretching fully for a generous amount of time, I havent had a problem since.
Sounds like you're getting stretching mixed up with warming up. Of course if you had actually read the post, you'd know this already
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #15429
McFogg The Dawg is my homeboy

Thanked 1,130 Times in 286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Mar 21, 2012 11:45am | Facebook

My buddy doing a 5 plate deadlift. Terrible form though.
kevin7352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #15430

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Sounds like you're getting stretching mixed up with warming up. Of course if you had actually read the post, you'd know this already
I actually did read the post and no warming up wasnt a factor. I was well warmed up during these incidents.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #15431

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Situation View Post
I actually did read the post and no warming up wasnt a factor. I was well warmed up during these incidents.
Well it's settled then. All those studies are wrong, the 100's of test subjects they used were wrong.. Because you tweaked a calf muscle without stretching. CASE CLOSED!

Sorry for the ish behavior.. but come on man
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #15432
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fcukedd View Post

I'm in the same situation as you. Took a week off, and didn't care for my nutrition. First day back today, and decided to see where my big 3's were at.

Squats - Didn't really evaluate, but struggled squatting 275lb when I usually wouldn't.

great minds think a like

Spoiler!

hoping what they say about muscle memory is true
PK6o4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #15433
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
are we really gonna argue that stretching is BAD?

youve gotta be kidding me.

if you dont want to stretch, go right ahead and be stiff. ill take increased ROM and flexibility any day. im almost certain my squat increasing recently is directly related to the fact that ive been spending time stretching my hips and hammies. both began at the same time.
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #15434

Studies can tell me that squats are bad for me knees as well, but I'll still do it cause it works for me. I go by what my body tells me and not by what someone on lifehacker wrote online.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #15435

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
are we really gonna argue that stretching is BAD?

youve gotta be kidding me.

if you dont want to stretch, go right ahead and be stiff. ill take increased ROM and flexibility any day. im almost certain my squat increasing recently is directly related to the fact that ive been spending time stretching my hips and hammies. both began at the same time.
Who said stretching is bad?

The argument is that it doesn't prevent injuries. That is a very specific thing, and has been studied at length. Stretching hammies before squats can help performance, but that has nothing to do with preventing injuries.

And again, you're confusing stretching with mobility training, which are two different things. I do mobility training during my warmups, and I am very flexible. I used to do stretching after workouts too, but they turned out to be a waste of time.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #15436
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
anywayssssssssss while you guys sat here and debated, i went and demolish my chest n tri's. i must say, the pump of a tricep > bicep ANY MOTHERFKIN DAYYY

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #15437
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Question to all the former fatty's or in the transitioning from fatty to slim......

Which part of you're body did you guys first start seeing definition after you started losing weight? Im finding that my arms, lats, shoulders and traps are showing some good definition and the chest is really starting to fill in, just can't stand how some parts of my body are starting to look really good but my stomach and lower chest is
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #15438
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 3,267 Times in 547 Posts
I think I might have torn/stretched a muscle in my trap.
Deadlifted today mixed grip and I felt a weird burning sensation in my upper trap near the lat/delt. Will be using double overhand and going lighter for now.

Hopefully it feels better tomorrow.

Also I overhead pressed 110 x 5 today
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #15439
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Hey guys I have an important question..

I am having surgery in a few days so I have been told that I will be unable to lift weights for 3 months.

I will be able to do light jogging after 1 month, but absolutely no weightlifting.

What can I do to maintain current muscle mass for those 3 months?

I will be keeping my diet in check and making sure I don't deviate during the recovery time.

Thanks in advance!
evo08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #15440
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 3,267 Times in 547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo08 View Post

I am having surgery in a few days so I have been told that I will be unable to lift weights for 3 months.

I will be able to do light jogging after 1 month, but absolutely no weightlifting.

I will be keeping my diet in check and making sure I don't deviate during the recovery time.

Thanks in advance!
What is the surgery for exactly?
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #15441
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fcukedd View Post

good read

Spoiler!
PK6o4* is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #15442

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo08 View Post

Thanks in advance!
You can maintain as much as possible by making sure your protein intake is high. I would recommend supplementing Leucine. Like take 5-10g with EVERY meal.

Hmb was shown to prevent muscle loss without exercise, and Leucine is basically the replacement to that.

So eat lots, add protein shakes daily, and supplement Leucine. That's probably your best bet in terms of diet.

You could also add "cycling" if you're willing to go that route.

How big are you anyway?
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #15443
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbyboi View Post
Question to all the former fatty's or in the transitioning from fatty to slim......

Which part of you're body did you guys first start seeing definition after you started losing weight? Im finding that my arms, lats, shoulders and traps are showing some good definition and the chest is really starting to fill in, just can't stand how some parts of my body are starting to look really good but my stomach and lower chest is
First thing to go was bitch tits, Now the heads of my triceps are starting to stick out more + more vascularity in my forearms. Traps are definitely looking more defined, but not bigger

Last thing to leave for me is always the belly and love handles .. but not this time, losing em for good!

I just wanted to shed some BW at first, but then I read a quote from JBW,
"Most people die without seeing their abs" ... well ... don't wanna die without seeing em.
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:03 PM   #15444

Quote:

For me it starts at the extremities and works inward. The last to go is the belly and lovehandles, and inner thighs

Thankfully one of the first is also the most important : facial fat
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #15445
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:

When I lost weight I didn't have any definition at all since I wasn't doing any weights, lol...if I had to choose I supposed it'd be my legs because of all the cardio.

Once I started lifting I started finding definition in my arms, upper back and shoulder first...chest came after and it started filling out gradually.

I've been bulking for the past few months and the body parts that were lacking are filling in even more now. I'll see how it goes once I go back to cutting...

Anyway, been in Vegas for the past 5 days. It was absolutely awesome and I feel I gave my body a well deserved rest that I never really get the chance to do...that and fill myself up with some awesome food. Can't wait to get back and lift.
neggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:38 AM   #15446
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Just to chime on the stretching convo. Stretching will give you MORE range of motion and increase flexibility. IMO it WON'T prevent injury. Warm up will get the muscles ready for work, not stretching. I never stretch specifically (unless I'm doing martial arts) but on my warm up sets I take special care to do as full range of motion as possible. This is my "stretching" before lifting.

Berz out.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #15447
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Yes. I should mention that when I do stretches, its usually at home on different time than the gym. And warm up is always max ROM.

I think of it this way, injuries happen at the extreme end of your ROM. so if you increase your ROM and your working range stays the same, you are working in a 'safer' range of motion.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #15448
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Speaking of stretching and inuries..

My worst fear happened other day. Came up on a deadlift, not sure if it was bad form, or if wasn't warmed up, but I felt a sharp pain in my back like a knife stab.. Dropped what I was doing and headed straight to the doctor.

Whole time there I was worried about something seriuos, hernia, spine, etc, and swore I'd stop doing deadlifts (kinda risky excersize if done wrong). Turns out its more of a pulled muscle thing.

Now I can't lift for a week, and my diet been shit the last 2 days. Moral of the story? I'm scared to do deadlifts now.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #15449
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Wanting to try the reverse deadlift....but dont wanna kill myself in the process.....but surprised myself in the gym yesterday....120lb tricep pulldowns...wooo!
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:46 AM   #15450

I've been living abroad for the last 6 months and haven't any gyms near by. I bought a pull up bar online, and started doing narrow and wide pull ups, push ups, dips on a chair and sit ups. Kind of funny becasuse I am in the best shape I've ever been in, and I used to hit the gym regularly at home. Just goes to show me how much time I was wasting.

When I get home it's going to be squats, weighted pull ups and bench press. That's it.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote