REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #16176
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
Just curious, but anyone here every competed at bodybuilding shows before? Seeing as how most of you guys lift super heavy and do lots of 5x5s I'm assuming most of you here are powerlifters as opposed to bodybuilders..
My girlfriend and I are both members of the BCABBA. Her show is on may.19, and I'm doing BC Provincial Championships June 30.
Advertisement
Wild_Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #16177
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar_boy View Post
My girlfriend and I are both members of the BCABBA. Her show is on may.19, and I'm doing BC Provincial Championships June 30.
Pics plz....

Berz out.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #16178
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Anyone do Ab ripper X?

Is it a myth that ab work is pointless if u have a belly? My guess is ab works is equivalent to bicep curls for the arms, or shoulder presses for shoulders .. In that it will help shed fat in that specific location.

Others say do abs once your belly is gone? ...
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #16179
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
You can't spot reduce and ab's don't grow like arms and shoulders. You want abs get rid of your fat. Period. You can do ab ripper as a cardio workout if you want but you can do a 1000 situps and crunches a day and you'll never get abs unless you lean the fuck out.

I have a wicked 6 pack and I haven't done a single ab specific workout this year. I actually couldn't tell you the last time I did an ab specific workout.

Berz out.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #16180
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
You can't spot reduce and ab's don't grow like arms and shoulders. You want abs get rid of your fat. Period. You can do ab ripper as a cardio workout if you want but you can do a 1000 situps and crunches a day and you'll never get abs unless you lean the fuck out.

I have a wicked 6 pack and I haven't done a single ab specific workout this year. I actually couldn't tell you the last time I did an ab specific workout.

Berz out.
Thx .. This is what I was looking for. But, how broscience is this loll?
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #16181
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafanculo View Post
Thx .. This is what I was looking for. But, how broscience is this loll?
It's not broscience. Abs are there because of low body fat, low body fat results from catabolic processes like burning fat/caloric deficits etc.

Strength training for the abs will just make them stronger/bigger but not more defined
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #16182
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,506 Times in 1,688 Posts
Quote:
I was thinking about doing this show as well, you doing the physique show?
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #16183
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
I was thinking about doing this show as well, you doing the physique show?
Yup I'm in physique. I'm glad that canada has it now. Plus I may do the Sandra Wickham Fall Classic just for fun. I'm hoping to get within the top 100 in physique.
Wild_Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #16184

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I disagree. Berz, halo, and mike are the only ones that stand out to me as being into bb regimes. The rest are building for power, like the guys showing crazy dl videos that do not look like BBers at all.

Of course I could be missing some, but based on my recollection, most here are more into strength than looks.
You're probably right there Skinny. Though of course we want to get stronger, we're definitely more on BB routines.

I think the number one thing everyone should understand in this thread, something that a lot of new guys in the gym seem to have problems grasping.

Bigger weight does not equal more muscle.

I can say for a fact that is the number one thing people do wrong in the gym, something I myself had problems grasping when I started lifting way back.

It's all about how you're lifting. There are quite a few guys in this thread with very solid lifts, but do not have much in terms of muscle. These guys are strong, and are lifting lower reps and not concentrating on the contraction and squeeze of the muscle.

A guy who can bench 315 for reps can have a smaller chest than a guy benching 225 for reps.

If you're trying to get stronger more power to you, concentrate on upping that weight. But if you are looking to build muscle, you need to think less about the actual size of the weight, and more about the type of reps you are doing.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #16185

Quote:
Yup I'm in physique. I'm glad that canada has it now. Plus I may do the Sandra Wickham Fall Classic just for fun. I'm hoping to get within the top 100 in physique.
That's dope man, I'll probably see you there. I hate the idea of board shorts though.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #16186
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Dat dere Craze is somethin else
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #16187
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Hah, I have a big six pack but it's mostly covered by body fat and really I don't care.
Strength is all that matters. Also, when training for strength I can eat whatever I want. Which is great. I don't really eat any junk, either.

I've read a few books and strength is not all about muscles. You need to lift heavy in order to put stress on the ligaments, tendons, and sinews in order to force them to grow.

It's all about enabling the grow or die response in your body
Old 04-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #16188
I am Hook'd on RS

Hate doing cardio like me? I switched to jumping rope (yeah, otherwise called skipping). Because 10 minutes of jumping rope is equal to = 30 minutes of running. Because of the higher intensity. I'd rather get it over with in 10 minutes. It can be tough at first, but after the first couple workouts, it gets easier. Also try changing the surface. Concrete tires your legs out real fast. Gym floors are a little more forgiving.
mbrodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #16189
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
Quote:
pics?
of you i mean no homo
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #16190
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 3,267 Times in 547 Posts
Brb focusing on strength atm but I can shoot two birds with one stone.
Brb making good gains lifting and eating heavy being an ecto.
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #16191
Banned (ABWS)

how many grams of carbs do you guys eat per day when bulking?

also, is it ok to eat all of your carbs before dinner and none with dinner? or should dinner always include a carb?
wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:18 PM   #16192
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
I was just wondering, because I've looked through a number of different videos online of bodybuilding contestants that are around my weight division, i weigh 165 lb atm, so it'd be around lightweight to middleweight... Basically, I look at them and I look at myself in the mirror, and I think proportion-wise, I got what it takes... My joints are relatively smaller, but looking at their body proportion, I think working on rounding off my muscle belly is what will give me an extra edge... Cougar Boy, I might actually send you a few pics so you can tell me what u think..

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #16193
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
You're probably right there Skinny. Though of course we want to get stronger, we're definitely more on BB routines.

I think the number one thing everyone should understand in this thread, something that a lot of new guys in the gym seem to have problems grasping.

Bigger weight does not equal more muscle.

I can say for a fact that is the number one thing people do wrong in the gym, something I myself had problems grasping when I started lifting way back.

It's all about how you're lifting. There are quite a few guys in this thread with very solid lifts, but do not have much in terms of muscle. These guys are strong, and are lifting lower reps and not concentrating on the contraction and squeeze of the muscle.

A guy who can bench 315 for reps can have a smaller chest than a guy benching 225 for reps.

If you're trying to get stronger more power to you, concentrate on upping that weight. But if you are looking to build muscle, you need to think less about the actual size of the weight, and more about the type of reps you are doing.
+1 for this. To add on to this, there are varying levels of intensities and reps/sets that are recommended to achieve each different goal. For muscular strength, its recommended that you go at 85-100% of your 1 RM at 1-6 reps with 3-5 minute breaks. This is probably for those powerlifters out there. For hypertrophy, its recommended that you go at 65-80% of 1 RM at 8-12 reps with 1-3 minute breaks. This is why bodybuilders look bigger but are less strong.

Personally, I do a mix of both because I like to experiment with things and I'm not really training for a powerlifting meet or a bodybuilding show at this point in time... And like I said, I'm pretty sure most of you here are working to up your muscular strength because you're always comparing to see who can lift more...

Let's take Jimz for an example. He can lift a shit ton of weight for his bodyweight. But I can bet you, if he worked on a lighter load/intensity at a higher rep, he can up his bodyweight to around 230-250 and pack on even more muscle mass than he does right now. That's another thing too.. it's alot easier for people with good tendon strength & muscular strength in general (people who do powerlifting) to transition to become a bodybuilder because they are better able to neurally activate a bigger number of muscle fibers...

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #16194
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
Today at the gym was bad.

2 dumbasses were doing curls in the squat rack.

Then they did standing skull crushers in the squat rack.

Worst part ? They were standing on a sideways dumbell while doing it.

I was so hoping they would fall, snap their leg and the bar would come down and crush their skulls.
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #16195
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
I like the idea of building a base of strength before moving on to bbing. If you can squat and DL 2x bodyweight, you are going to have kick ass workouts. If you are just a noob, build strength to nearly that point first.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #16196
RS Operative (G)

Quote:
I was just wondering, because I've looked through a number of different videos online of bodybuilding contestants that are around my weight division, i weigh 165 lb atm, so it'd be around lightweight to middleweight... Basically, I look at them and I look at myself in the mirror, and I think proportion-wise, I got what it takes... My joints are relatively smaller, but looking at their body proportion, I think working on rounding off my muscle belly is what will give me an extra edge... Cougar Boy, I might actually send you a few pics so you can tell me what u think..
just work on posing, many tricks to make your self look bigger on stage under the light, look at some you tube videos on bb posing, and shows are won from the back
Old 04-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #16197
RS Operative (G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckless View Post
how many grams of carbs do you guys eat per day when bulking?

also, is it ok to eat all of your carbs before dinner and none with dinner? or should dinner always include a carb?
dinner carbs yes

800-1000g

Last edited by hal0g0dv2; 04-17-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #16198
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I like the idea of building a base of strength before moving on to bbing. If you can squat and DL 2x bodyweight, you are going to have kick ass workouts. If you are just a noob, build strength to nearly that point first.
Yeah, it's actually recommended that you work first on aerobic capacity (mostly endurance) and then progress to anaerobic capacity (mostly strength)... And that's exactly why noobs should start off with multi-jointed compound exercises first because it works all the big muscles and get them all jacked up first... If they start with isolations, it'd take a lot longer to progress...

Old 04-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #16199
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal0g0dv2 View Post
just work on posing, many tricks to make your self look bigger on stage under the light, look at some you tube videos on bb posing, and shows are won from the back
Just like your signature claims

Old 04-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #16200
RS Operative (G)

Quote:
Just like your signature claims
yesssssssssss

sitting around 260 last summer

Last edited by hal0g0dv2; 04-17-2012 at 08:42 PM.