REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #16201
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I'm not a big fan of posting pictures of myself online. Plus I also don't have that many. I found one from last summer. This was offseason for me as I was on vacation.

Advertisement
Wild_Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #16202
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
shadows are cool
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #16203
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
holy fuck... you literally ARE built from the back haha.... those lats and traps are deadly...

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #16204
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
I read an article a while back where a guy who is a pro (not mutant pro) BBer was talking about what he did a long the way. He said he always had skinny legs no matter what he did until one day he said to himself "Ive never seen a guy who can squat 4 plates with skinny legs" so he started squatting heavy like a mad man and put like 3" on his legs.

I agree with mike that there is an enormous difference between lifting for strength and lifting for size/show. I switch it up for a few months from time to time going from low 3-5 rep sets to higher 10-15 rep sets really focussing on the movement and using the muscles properly. You definitely get a better pump doing that which leads to more growth.

However 80% of the people in this thread are at 2 years or less in the gym. And imo, at that point you should just be lifting everything you can and not focus on "BB" or "power lift". Im a firm believer in that your body has what I call a 'baseline build' meaning the build you will naturally put together and then plateau at and for most guys thats like 2-3 years of lifting. Beyond that, you can adjust your workouts depending on which way you decide you want to go.

And to be honest, if you cant bench 2 plates, squat 3, and deadlift 4 at MINIMUM, your lifts are garbage and you shouldn't be worried about doing concentration curls to 'work your bis to get them more swoll BB style'.

I really think theres a difference in the look of a guy who lifts heavy and hard and a guy who lifts for show. the heavy hitter has that full body strong as hell, raw power, could chop down a forest of trees with an axe, body looks like it works together like a machine, chizzled from rock look; and the other guy is just a guy with swole balloon looking muscles. Like training to have a thick back top to bottom from heavy rows and deadlifts vs training to have an aesthetic V taper. Id take man over model any day.

/end rant

No homo

edit: of course there are BBers who look like strongmen, but im generalizing for the everyman here
Old 04-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #16205
RS Operative (G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal0g0dv2 View Post
yesssssssssss

sitting around 260 last summer

for people who missed

yea h i quote myself
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #16206
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
dem lats
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #16207
RS Operative (G)

what you said rrxtra is very very very true

i remember when i was bulking 2 years ago ish and so on, my compounds lifts were insane and i was putting so much size on my tall ass, if i did not do that i would not have the mass i have today, and now i work out like a bb for the past year and a bit and it totally shows.
I have always told nubs to focus on the the big lifts and worry about tricep kick backs later
Old 04-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #16208
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

damn halo youre HUGE..
if there was ever a flood youd be the only one that could fly away
howd you get your back that big?
alwayslive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2012, 09:00 PM   #16209
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
theres so many examples.

doing heavy military press vs front, rear and lateral raises. the raises will build your anterior, lateral, and posterior deltoids and youll get a good pump from them. but heavy military presses will build mass in the shoulder.

the best example is squats vs leg extensions and hammy curls. from experience, i get way more jam in my quads, especially the lower end near the knee, from leg extensions, but squats pack so much meat on your legs, not just the front of the quad, but the inside and outside a ton (not to mention everything else a squat works)

heavy compound shit builds mass not muscles

for example you can do flies for chest and raises for shoulders and have defined shoulders and chest, but if you do heavy military presses and heavy bench (incline), you put meat into that area in front of your arm pit that isnt really your shoulder or chest, but connects the 2 to your arm.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #16210
McFogg The Dawg is my homeboy

Thanked 1,130 Times in 286 Posts
Recently my routine has been based off grey skull lp
alternate between:
A: Barbell bench, incline db bench, dips
B: Military press, face pulls, db rows

chins everyday.
squats 3x5 monday friday, deadlift 1x5 wednesday

input, rrxtar? basic enough imo

i'm kinda wondering what type of rep scheme i should go with for the A and B's. i have been doing 3x5 for bench and military, 4x8 for incline, face pulls and db rows, dips ill do 5 sets to fail. same with chins. looking to put on some size now
kevin7352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #16211
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal0g0dv2 View Post
dinner carbs yes

800-1000g
ok i really need to up my carbs then.

i just dont want it going to my stomach, been working on abs for a while
wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #16212
RS Operative (G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckless View Post

but u want to bulk ?
i want to look like phil heath but i dont want to inject myself please help
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2012, 09:37 PM   #16213
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Recently i've been worrying about "cutting for summer" and wanting to look lean and lose that extra bit of fat, just being self conscious. (stupid, i know, as i am pinner af)

But thanks for the extra input guys. Really enforces the fact that i need to just stick with 5x5 and a high calorie diet, and not worry about my looks this summer. I just need to keep up with what im doing, gain a decent amount of mass and strength, then decide what i want to do.
Just wait till next summer

Thanks for all the advice all these months, these hundreds of pages, thanks guys. If it wasnt for you guys id still be doing bicep curls and tricep kickbacks all day

Last edited by Phozy; 04-17-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #16214
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Exactly why 5x5 is great for beginners. Build a good base.

Damn I want 2/3/4 plate. Done 2, almost 3, and no where near 4 dl lol
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #16215
RS Operative (G)

^^ no problem dude
Old 04-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #16216
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phozy View Post
Recently i've been worrying about "cutting for summer" and wanting to look lean and lose that extra bit of fat, just being self conscious. (stupid, i know, as i am pinner af)

But thanks for the extra input guys. Really enforces the fact that i need to just stick with 5x5 and a high calorie diet, and not worry about my looks this summer. I just need to keep up with what im doing, gain a decent amount of mass and strength, then decide what i want to do.
Just wait till next summer

Thanks for all the advice all these months, these hundreds of pages, thanks guys. If it wasnt for you guys id still be doing bicep curls and tricep kickbacks all day
Haha, I've been having the same exact thoughts recently but now I know what I'm gonna do.
mrclean604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #16217
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
theres so many examples.

doing heavy military press vs front, rear and lateral raises. the raises will build your anterior, lateral, and posterior deltoids and youll get a good pump from them. but heavy military presses will build mass in the shoulder.

the best example is squats vs leg extensions and hammy curls. from experience, i get way more jam in my quads, especially the lower end near the knee, from leg extensions, but squats pack so much meat on your legs, not just the front of the quad, but the inside and outside a ton (not to mention everything else a squat works)

heavy compound shit builds mass not muscles

for example you can do flies for chest and raises for shoulders and have defined shoulders and chest, but if you do heavy military presses and heavy bench (incline), you put meat into that area in front of your arm pit that isnt really your shoulder or chest, but connects the 2 to your arm.
I thought mass was muscle....

BlAh~
LC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #16218
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts

think this explains this well enough..
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2012, 10:58 PM   #16219
My homepage has been set to RS

Good info from rrxter. And for me prersonally I do heavy ass for the big 3 and shoulder press for powerlifting comps and to build mass but I also add accessory bbing type of excerises to sculpt the muscles. IMO you cant have the best of both worlds, youre either a fit strongman (heavy weights low reps) or a bodybuilder (moderate weights high reps). Unless you ride a cycle.

MY FEEDBACK
jimzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:44 PM   #16220
Treasure Chest MOD

If you guys search up tuan tran, thats a guy whos able to do em all. He played college football, set records for powerlifting, won the cronus for bodybuilding, does marathon running, and also does martial arts as a hobbie.

@ LC21, mass does not always equate to muscle. Pure lean muscle mass is metabolically active tissue. The mass that you put on from compounds will generally target the bigger muscle groups and will increase lean mass in those areas. Thats why powerlifters will have slightly more adiposity compared to the bodybuilder. The bodybuilder works on isolations that will let them target specific muscles that they want to bring out. Theyre trying to get rounder and fuller muscles.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:53 PM   #16221
McFogg The Dawg is my homeboy

Thanked 1,130 Times in 286 Posts
not to mention his clean is not bad

Last edited by kevin7352; 04-18-2012 at 12:01 AM.
kevin7352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:00 AM   #16222
Treasure Chest MOD

I can bench 2, squat 3, but im lagging way behind on my deadlifts... My lower back is probably the weakest of them all, so hopefully doin isolations will let me break from this plateau... But for a guy who weighs 165lb to deadlift 4 plates, its quite the task.. Ive stopped doing deadlifts for awhile noe cus the owner is always being a fucking dick about the plates clashing together when i deadlift...
Old 04-18-2012, 12:01 AM   #16223
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Did deads today and couldn't do shit. My legs have been stiff for the last couple of weeks, even though I stretch out before every workout.

Managed to get 385lbs for 5 reps and moved on to 405lbs, but only got 2 in. I usually hit atleast 5.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:09 AM   #16224
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckless View Post

Fuck abs bro... Real men go for strong arms, chest, back and legs... Abs are for the girls lol... Unless you got those, abs are only for extra seasoning

Jokes aside, remember to eat complex carbs and lean protein, those are the ones that are gonna work your metabolism

Last edited by instantneedles; 04-18-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:44 AM   #16225
RS Operative (G)

back today fuck yeahhhhhhhhhh