REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The Official 2012 Jeremy Lin Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/663106-official-2012-jeremy-lin-thread.html)

bballguy 02-24-2012 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanHibiki (Post 7807709)
Why would they have two teams in the same arena. I find that extremely weird.

Can anyone explain it all to me?

Nothing to explain really...There is a market big enough for 2 teams to play right in the heart of LA so that's what they'll do...it's that simple...NY Giants and NY Jets both play in MetLife Stadium.

DanHibiki 02-24-2012 01:57 AM

^So that small % of Clippers fans (assuming the majority are Laker fans) is enough to sustain a 2nd team there? Man that's crazy

bballguy 02-24-2012 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanHibiki (Post 7807724)
^So that small % of Clippers fans (assuming the majority are Laker fans) is enough to sustain a 2nd team there? Man that's crazy

That "small %" is probably significantly greater a % than you think...There are A LOT of Clippers fans in LA and I'm talking even before Chris Paul came over this year. Also, LA is one of the most populated cities in NA...almost twice as many people as Vancouver + they have highly populated nearby cities.

In the 2011-2012 season:
Clippers are currently averaging 19,268 fans per game in the stadium...
Lakers are currently averaging 18,997 fans per game in the stadium...

So Clippers are doing better this year not just in the standings, but also in selling tickets!

DanHibiki 02-24-2012 02:56 AM

^whoa crazy. I used to be a huge bball fan back in the Grizzlies days and from what I recall back then, the Clippers were ass and they barely filled the seats. Good to see them doing well but I'm surprised they are bringing in more fans than the Lakers. I mean....it's the Lakers!!

So what does the home team dressing room look like?

7seven 02-24-2012 06:39 AM

I travel to LA a lot for work and to visit and before this season you basically had to give away Clippers tickets. I remember anytime I was at the studio, there were sets of Clippers tickets for free, all you would have to do is ask one of the admin girls. The Lakers where/are the hot ticket in LA, the demand was high and thus making Lakers tickets unaffordable to some and for some people who just wanted to watch some basketball, Clippers tickets where cheap, and with the huge population in the surrounding LA area, attendance usually was decent.

Quote:

So what does the home team dressing room look like?

There are I believe 6 locker rooms at Staples, the Lakers, Clippers and the Kings all have their own dedicated locker rooms, along with a visitors room for hockey and basketball.

Quote:

I never understood why LA had two teams playing in the same arena.

Now I know it's common for big markets to have two teams. But teams like the NY Rangers and NY Islanders at least play in separate arenas on the opposite side of the city which makes sense to me.

Why would they have two teams in the same arena. I find that extremely weird.

Can anyone explain it all to me?

The Lakers/Clippers and Giants/Jets play in the same city, so financially it makes more sense to play out of the same arena. It'd costs too much to build a second pro stadium for the same purposes and this way the arena gets to book more dates and rake in more money through concessions, parking, booking fees, etc....

The Rangers and Islanders don't play in the same city, Rangers are in Manhattan and Islanders are in Uniondale, bascially like Vancouver and Langley for reference, about an hours drive apart.

GLOW 02-24-2012 06:51 AM

I wonder if clippers home games are cheaper than Lakers and part of the reason for higher sales.

411ken 02-24-2012 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 7807795)
I wonder if clippers home games are cheaper than Lakers and part of the reason for higher sales.

ding ding ding.. we have a winner :D

Tickets for clippers lower bowl behind the net (i think it's section 116 or whatever) is 65.00$ each.. the lakers under the same section is 115$.

So it's understandable for regular ball fans to watch the clippers instead now cuz 1. they have a pretty good team this year thanks to CP3 and 2. cheaper tickets.

411ken 02-24-2012 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballguy (Post 7807746)
That "small %" is probably significantly greater a % than you think...There are A LOT of Clippers fans in LA and I'm talking even before Chris Paul came over this year. Also, LA is one of the most populated cities in NA...almost twice as many people as Vancouver + they have highly populated nearby cities.

In the 2011-2012 season:
Clippers are currently averaging 19,268 fans per game in the stadium...
Lakers are currently averaging 18,997 fans per game in the stadium...

So Clippers are doing better this year not just in the standings, but also in selling tickets!

Clippers attendance last year was about 17000 so CP3 and griffin having a great season prior to this one has put them over the top which is great to see for once.. and who knows.. maybe because it's a short season that people were able to afford to go to more games :D

TRDood 02-24-2012 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 411ken (Post 7807807)
ding ding ding.. we have a winner :D

Tickets for clippers lower bowl behind the net (i think it's section 116 or whatever) is 65.00$ each.. the lakers under the same section is 115$.

So it's understandable for regular ball fans to watch the clippers instead now cuz 1. they have a pretty good team this year thanks to CP3 and 2. cheaper tickets.

Clippers tickets used to be cheap. Not this season.

Went to the home opener against the Bulls, sold out, tickets are comparable to Laker prices in the resale market.

Clippers girls stand around the entrance/concession pre-game to take pictures with fans. :alonehappy:

411ken 02-24-2012 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRDood (Post 7807814)
Clippers tickets used to be cheap. Not this season.

Went to the home opener against the Bulls, sold out, tickets are comparable to Laker prices in the resale market.

Clippers girls stand around the entrance/concession pre-game to take pictures with fans. :alonehappy:

Oh.. I actually just based my $ if I were to buy from their actual site (I chose the Twolves) and that's the prices they showed... Not sure how much it would be in the resale market.

It's no doubt the Bulls vs Clippers would bring the price up as that's a no brainer for sellers (paul vs rose + home opener) . But the question is.. how much would those tickets cost for face value

iwantaskyline 02-24-2012 10:30 AM

Damn, I thought I clicked on the Jeremy Lin thread. Whoops.

joquio 02-24-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-spec (Post 7807680)
did you guys notice how the two steals from Lin by Chalmers and Cole were finished off by dunks from both of them, that really was an obvious statement letting him know whassup, these two guys never dunk and they're both like 6 foot roughly.... somebody from the Knicks should have pushed back, thought it would be Stat first Melo second

lol. I noticed it too when I was watching the game yesterday day.......
I was like HOLY FAWK! After Chalmers made the dunk, he never/rarely dunks!!!
He even stared down Lin after his dunk.

I'm sure he was like :fuckyea: :smug: "Your move, Lin"

411ken 02-24-2012 11:06 AM

Last night was the best . thing that cudve happened to Lin imo. Now this calm things down a bit for him. Kenny smith was right last night tho. Carmelo n amare shudve taken over to ease things off for Lin. Also. It shows how much they miss shumpert.
Posted via RS Mobile

InvisibleSoul 02-24-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballguy (Post 7807746)

The difference is WAY greater than that.

Vancouver proper: 600k
LA proper: 3.8m

Vancouver metro: 2.3m
LA metro: 15.3m

So... LA basically has more than 6x the population of Vancouver.

Alpine50 02-24-2012 11:42 AM

Chalmers fucked this guy up last night, stealing and dunking on him, as for cole.
Posted via RS Mobile

Obsideon 02-24-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul (Post 7808068)
The difference is WAY greater than that.

Vancouver proper: 600k
LA proper: 3.8m

Vancouver metro: 2.3m
LA metro: 15.3m

So... LA basically has more than 6x the population of Vancouver.

Off-topic but sort of related:

The state of California alone has a higher population then ALL OF CANADA COMBINED!

Canada - 34,108,752
California - 37,691,912

So now you have a better understand of why LA can easily accomodate 2 teams, also they were thinking of even having 3 teams because Sacramento was on the verge of moving to Anaheim which is basically like where Burnaby is to Vancouver.

DanHibiki 02-24-2012 06:42 PM

With your population combined...I am CAPTAIN CALIFORNIA!

pastarocket 02-24-2012 07:46 PM

Jeremy's press conference before the All Star Rising Stars Challenge. Impressive.

-love his modesty, team-first mentality.

If Schumpert was healthy, having Lin on the couch with Schump dunking over him would have been hilarious:

see.lai 02-25-2012 11:03 AM

^ haha the last question was funny

Not really racist! 02-25-2012 02:06 PM

pastarocket 02-25-2012 04:40 PM

Wow, this sale brings Linsanity to a whole different level. A seller made over twenty grand U.S. on eBay after selling Lin's rookie card. He's laughing all the way to the bank. Linning! :)

Lin Rookie Card Brings $22K After $1K Purchase - Bloomberg

Gh0stRider 02-25-2012 05:37 PM

nice shirt spike

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/96...832_medium.jpg

willystyle 02-25-2012 08:22 PM

^ Thats a sick shirt.

Nightwalker 02-25-2012 08:40 PM

The graphic is cool, but it's printed on his goddamn belly. So the shirt is terrible.

spoon.ek9 02-25-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastarocket (Post 7809404)
Wow, this sale brings Linsanity to a whole different level. A seller made over twenty grand U.S. on eBay after selling Lin's rookie card. He's laughing all the way to the bank. Linning! :)

Lin Rookie Card Brings $22K After $1K Purchase - Bloomberg

holy shit...