REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The Official 2012 Jeremy Lin Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/663106-official-2012-jeremy-lin-thread.html)

dinamix 07-17-2010 12:11 AM

Jeremy Lin vs. John Wall (NBA)

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/26...emy_BC_005.JPG

Quote:

John Wall earned a huge ovation from the crowd at Cox Pavilion during introductions Thursday night, easily the biggest cheer for any of the Wizards or Mavericks players. By the end of the game, the crowd had turned on Wall and was cheering for Dallas's Jeremy Lin, the undrafted point guard out of Harvard who scored nine fourth-quarter points.

When Lin split two defenders and was called for a charge, the crowd erupted in outrage, and media members joked that it finally sounded like an NBA game, what with fans yelling at refs. When Lin later guarded Wall closely and was called for a foul, someone screamed out "quit protecting him!"
There were also a couple times when Lin scored, and Wall seemed to attempt an immediate offensive response on the other end.

"I wasn't getting into no back and forth," Wall said. "He was just making great plays coming off pick and rolls and getting into the paint and making shots."

And if you watch the video above, a great many of Lin's highlights didn't actually come against Wall. Still, for a third game of Summer League, it offered a nice little diversion, and Chris Webber certainly seemed to enjoy the matchup. So did Zach Harper of Hardwood Paroxysm, who wrote (via True Hoop):

"The kid from the Ivy League refused to back down from the YouTube sensation and while Wall walked away with the highlight reel, Lin walked away as the fan favorite.

I saw this on the score highlights yesterday.i have so much more respect for chinese b-ball players cuz of this guy. We'll see this kid in the NBA for sure. check out the move at 3:06

twitchyzero 07-17-2010 12:15 AM

it'll be neat seeing a taiwanese guy on nba

Ikkaku 07-17-2010 12:26 AM

good to see an asian player who can play inside (without being a behemoth), instead of being a small guy who does nothing but shoot

Kaolinite 07-17-2010 12:27 AM

yeee jeremy lin!

Qmx323 07-17-2010 01:13 AM

been watching his numbers on espn since his junior year lol

he is heavily favored to be signed

and also, SUN YUE is on the wizards summer league team (but he's not getting any playing time)

this dude is my inspiration

mqr03 07-17-2010 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 7031749)
it'll be neat seeing a taiwanese guy on nba

More like a bench warmer.
There hasn't been any skilled Asian basketball players.
The only reason Yao Ming is so popular is because of his height but even he's injury prone and not very good.
This guy will be lucky to get any playing time since he isn't even drafted.

Qmx323 07-17-2010 01:32 AM

^ even so, its just the fact that hes on the team and even playing (even if its garbage time) that is pretty cool

mqr03 07-17-2010 01:34 AM

Not if you consider how many Asian there are in this world.
If anything there should be more talented Asian players playing in the NBA.
Its not like basketball isn't popular in Asian. I see like tons of fobs playing in Vancouver

raygunpk 07-17-2010 01:38 AM

do you play?

mqr03 07-17-2010 01:40 AM

yup. Not the best but I can hold my own on the court.
Use to be point guard for my high school team went to provincials
Could have gotten a scholorship if I spent more time practicing

Qmx323 07-17-2010 01:44 AM

True but you have to see that the NBA isn't just 'talent' defined as being able to shoot well and dribble well, these guys in the NBA are also athletic as fcuk, combine that skill with athleticism and you get the average NBA player

Jeremy is considered an explosive athlete in Asian standards, and is outplaying many other PG's at the summer league level, hes giving himself a chance to play professional sports which is already extremely difficult, let alone possibly being the first NBA player from TW (Chen Hsin-An played with the kings summer league team way back in 02 and 03, his performances were not even close to Jeremy's performances)

It's just something that is considered neat to certain people

Manic! 07-17-2010 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mqr03 (Post 7031803)
yup. Not the best but I can hold my own on the court.
Use to be point guard for my high school team went to provincials
Could have gotten a scholorship if I spent more time practicing

I call :bullshit: Asians can't ball.

:rolleyes:

G-spec 07-17-2010 02:08 AM

wow, this kid Lin got some serious game... very active feet, great ball handling and athletic enough to hang with the brothas which is nuts... and he has excellent reflexes around defenders which is very important for a point guard because you can have the best ball handling ability in the world, but if you ain't got the reflexes good enough to react to your defenders and pick and roll situations, you ain't playin no PG at any professional level

MQR just racking up the fails... have you even seen Yao Ming play ? already one of the best centers of all time, and I know a little somethin about basketball because I actively play unlike a "use to be point guard"

Qmx323 07-17-2010 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-spec (Post 7031823)
wow, this kid Lin got some serious game... very active feet, great ball handling and athletic enough to hang with the brothas which is nuts... and he has excellent reflexes around defenders which is very important for a point guard because you can have the best ball handling ability in the world, but if you ain't got the reflexes good enough to react to your defenders and pick and roll situations, you ain't playin no PG at any professional level

MQR just racking up the fails... have you even seen Yao Ming play ? already one of the best centers of all time, and I know a little somethin about basketball because I actively play unlike a "use to be point guard"

Yao's great and all but hes not one of the greatest centers of all time yet,
definitely in the modern era though. If he can play for 3-4 more years at his level now and stay away from injury (can't really blame him for being 7'6, it must be hell on the knees/ankles) then I would put him in the top 10 all time.

Ronin 07-17-2010 03:05 AM

That guy wont make it in the NBA but damn that was a nice bounce pass...

mqr03 07-17-2010 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-spec (Post 7031823)

Of course I have, who hasn't. Other than being a decent post player there's nothing really different to him like other gigantic freaks from the past.
Shawn Bradley, Manute Bole(rip), Gheorghe Muresan all have one thing in common tall, slow, injury prone, not athletic. Being over 7"0 is hard on the body and NBA is really physical game.

G-spec 07-17-2010 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mqr03 (Post 7031849)
Of course I have, who hasn't. Other than being a decent post player there's nothing really different to him like other gigantic freaks from the past.
Shawn Bradley, Manute Bole(rip), Gheorghe Muresan all have one thing in common tall, slow, injury prone, not athletic. Being over 7"0 is hard on the body and NBA is really physical game.

I can't believe you just compared those guys to Yao just because they're similar height. Their only claim to fame is a few awkward blocks per game. That's the ONLY thing they were good for, they were never scorers or defenders, just guys who had a presence in the lane to disrupt opponents get a few blocks a game and that's it.

Yao is much more than a "decent post player" he's a "dominant center" and this is acknowledged by all of the basketball world. He has an amazing skill set especially when you consider his height, from his co-ordination to footwork, his post play and his defensive presence and let's not forget his shooting, he's got one of the smoothest midrange jumpshots of any bigman in the NBA. None of those guys you just listed could do anything you see in this clip. I was watching this game last year too goin nuts, he blew up in the start of the game.

MoBettah 07-17-2010 11:37 AM

Whose the best center in the league if Yao isn't? Dwight? HA!

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...y.cgi?id=OZjEz

Nuff said.

Porschedog 07-17-2010 12:31 PM

oh shittt jeremy lin!

raygunpk 07-17-2010 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mo_bettah (Post 7032077)
Whose the best center in the league if Yao isn't? Dwight? HA!

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...y.cgi?id=OZjEz

Nuff said.

Bryant Reeves.

MoBettah 07-17-2010 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raygunpk (Post 7032188)
Bryant Reeves.

Of course, how could i forget... though imo Robert "Tractor" Traylor was and is always GOAT to me.

tacobell 07-17-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mo_bettah (Post 7032207)
Of course, how could i forget... though imo Robert "Tractor" Traylor was and is always GOAT to me.

i like how you think, mateen cleaves, GOAT point guard

dinamix 07-18-2010 02:35 PM

jamal mashburn

Meowjin 07-18-2010 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mqr03 (Post 7031798)
Not if you consider how many Asian there are in this world.
If anything there should be more talented Asian players playing in the NBA.
Its not like basketball isn't popular in Asian. I see like tons of fobs playing in Vancouver

fishing666 go away

FerrariEnzo 07-18-2010 05:04 PM

man i would love to see more Asian players in the NBA...
in highschool, all i see in the courts are asian guys... and man they got skills...

but there arent many in college so its hard for asians to get noticed enough to get drafted..