REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-24-2021, 06:48 PM   #926
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
When was the last time when you applied for a credit card (before the TD card application)? Was that before or after you've taken on the mortgage for your new apartment?

Assuming that your last credit card application was before you having the mortgage, and now your TD card application is after you have your mortgage, I would not at all be surprised by the delay. Having a mortgage totally changes your credit history. It is only sensible that the banks have to check more thoroughly.
Advertisement
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:12 AM   #927
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
When was the last time when you applied for a credit card (before the TD card application)? Was that before or after you've taken on the mortgage for your new apartment?

Assuming that your last credit card application was before you having the mortgage, and now your TD card application is after you have your mortgage, I would not at all be surprised by the delay. Having a mortgage totally changes your credit history. It is only sensible that the banks have to check more thoroughly.
My last credit card was about 1.5-2 years ago before having a mortgage. I applied for this new card after the mortgage. Today they sent me an email and declined to approve, well that's a loss on TD card. I'll just keep using my current credit card, just a bit extra work to split out home expenses that is all. I simply wanted another card to strictly keep home being home, and my personal. Didn't want fiancee/wife to see statement and be like, WTF is this and that I spend on personally lol.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:13 AM   #928
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
RBC avion is a complete joke and I’m dumping them after this trip I booked through them

Every single time booking travel with them nothing but a headache compared to dealing directly with an airline or vacation operator. And of course their credit card support etc. picks up right away where now I’m at 4 hours+ on hold with the “rewards travel line”

I’ve booked travel now 5 times through their portal and not once has it been smooth
Old 12-01-2021, 11:41 AM   #929
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
As an additional thing to mention, when I took on the current mortgage for my dump of a house, the Big 5 bank threw in an offer for a credit card that I wouldn't have qualified for, and I have been using it ever since. Perhaps you can go back to your bank's mortgage person and ask them about something similar?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
My last credit card was about 1.5-2 years ago before having a mortgage. I applied for this new card after the mortgage. Today they sent me an email and declined to approve, well that's a loss on TD card. I'll just keep using my current credit card, just a bit extra work to split out home expenses that is all. I simply wanted another card to strictly keep home being home, and my personal. Didn't want fiancee/wife to see statement and be like, WTF is this and that I spend on personally lol.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 04:11 PM   #930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
As an additional thing to mention, when I took on the current mortgage for my dump of a house, the Big 5 bank threw in an offer for a credit card that I wouldn't have qualified for, and I have been using it ever since. Perhaps you can go back to your bank's mortgage person and ask them about something similar?
I'm thinking to lay low for awhile and then re-attempt this method, since I don't want too many inquiries into my credit history when applying again?? Not sure if it's a myth or fact, too many inquiries into your credit history isn't good?
Old 12-21-2021, 08:47 PM   #931

Well a few weeks ago TD declined me on a new credit card. Today I get in the mail one of those "you're pre-approved" for one of their other credit cards.

Okay WTF? Fucking stupid TD time wasters. I applied for a card that had a lower limit and then they send me mail for a higher limit card offer. Makes no fucking sense. When I have time, gonna call and bitch at them.
Old 12-22-2021, 06:57 AM   #932
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
Well a few weeks ago TD declined me on a new credit card. Today I get in the mail one of those "you're pre-approved" for one of their other credit cards.

Okay WTF? Fucking stupid TD time wasters. I applied for a card that had a lower limit and then they send me mail for a higher limit card offer. Makes no fucking sense. When I have time, gonna call and bitch at them.
Please don't call and bitch at some poor CSR who's just trying to do their job. They have no control over whether you get approved or not. It's a computer algorithm that does it.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2022, 04:27 PM   #933
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
Hey, I'm going to pay for a wedding, I want to use the best credit card for the best cash back. What would be ideal?
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 04:50 PM   #934

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
Hey, I'm going to pay for a wedding, I want to use the best credit card for the best cash back. What would be ideal?
AMEX simplycash preferred 10% CB on first 4 months, cap is $400 so $4000 of spend. 2% CB following that.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||

Last edited by BIC_BAWS; 02-15-2022 at 05:00 PM.
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 05:00 PM   #935
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
Amex Plat has cashback now..? I've been holding Plat for awhile now, it's just MR.

Edit: If anyone needs an Amex Gold/Plat referral, feel free to PM me.

Last edited by HonestTea; 02-15-2022 at 06:31 PM.
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 05:01 PM   #936

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestTea View Post
Amex Plat has cashback now..? I've been holding Plat for awhile now, it's just MR.
Fixed. Oops brain fried. Don't @ me plat finance bros

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 07:47 PM   #937
in the butt

Thanked 3,217 Times in 1,181 Posts
Thanks to this thread, I just went down the rabbit hole of credit cards again.

Currently have RBC cashback 2% groceries and 1% all other with 0 fee.
Looked into the 4% grocery, 2% dining gas and recurring, 1% all else CIBC card, with 120$ yearly fee

After thinking about it and doing the calculations, will probably pocket an extra 200-300$ a year if I change cards, but not worth it for having an extra account, following up on payments, and the overall hassle / convenience

Easier to simply spend 200$ less per year or work a couple more hours and call it a day

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 01:59 PM   #938
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
I might be getting myself a separate card to use for work stuff (flights, car rentals, etc) just to keep things simple. How do cash back vs points currently stack up? A quick check and a Westjet points card worked out to ~2.3% back but then it's only travel points, whereas cash back I could get 1.5% back and use it for anything.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 02:02 PM   #939
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
The new TD travel cards seem pretty good. First Class and Privilege; just applied for the Privilege myself for 105K AP
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2022, 09:09 AM   #940
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,758 Times in 3,869 Posts
Bump

Y’all following the news? Merchants can now charge us up to 2.4% on our bill to account for processing fee’s. Great! Just what I want to see. So my 2% cash back card is now useless?

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6610356
Old 10-11-2022, 09:26 AM   #941
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,408 Times in 5,094 Posts
I was eating at home making my own food almost exclusively all week long while working... and food court type stuff on weekends as a "treat"... maybe the odd actual sit down dinner here and there...

But holy fuck recently I been out at a lot of restaurants and the costs are just insane... and yes like was mentioned in another thread the tipping expectations are out of control.

Another 2% on top now too most likely??? Need to get back to making stuff at home, can't sustain the type of expenditures going out for meals consists of now.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2022, 09:57 AM   #942
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,453 Times in 987 Posts
cash and debit are gonna make a comeback now.
no rewards card can offer 2% back in cashback or equivalent to make up for this.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 10:39 AM   #943
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
cash and debit are gonna make a comeback now.
no rewards card can offer 2% back in cashback or equivalent to make up for this.
There are cards that offer 3% rewards, so you'll still come out a little bit on top.

Costco card is 3% at restaurants
TD is 3% gas and groceries. Anything else now sounds like a fee for our convenience.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 10:50 AM   #944
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,453 Times in 987 Posts
yep but usually only for certain categories like you said. also usually the best cashback cards have annual fees, and sometimes they have cashback limits.

vendors still have the option not to charge the fee though, so at least for now they have to opt in. i suspect that eventually most vendors will charge the fee to the customer though.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 10:59 AM   #945
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
American Express Cobalt Card, folks.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2022, 11:05 AM   #946
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I was eating at home making my own food almost exclusively all week long while working... and food court type stuff on weekends as a "treat"... maybe the odd actual sit down dinner here and there...

But holy fuck recently I been out at a lot of restaurants and the costs are just insane... and yes like was mentioned in another thread the tipping expectations are out of control.

Another 2% on top now too most likely??? Need to get back to making stuff at home, can't sustain the type of expenditures going out for meals consists of now.
Absolutely insane, I'm seeing most places have tip options starting at 18%, like wtf
G0rilla is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2022, 11:42 AM   #947
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
From a banks point of view they probably DGAF. Customers like myself and probably many of you who use our credit cards for the rewards and pay them off monthly not paying any interest and only the fees of the card if there are any probably aren't the people they want using those reward cards anyway, we're edging out the house.

The ones who don't pay it off monthly probably won't care or have a choice and continue using the cards because generally a lot of people in that camp are all about, can I make the minimum or a smaller payment to continue living that life I can't pay for in cash and continue kicking the rock down the road. These are the people the bank wants using their credit cards.

I'll start using my debit card more, doesn't really affect me other than I'll lose out on some reward miles.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2022, 12:01 PM   #948
RS Veteran

While I agree (and you are not wrong in any way) you have to keep in mind that the Canadian consumer debt is pretty high, so a lot of these consumers are holding on to debt and paying interest to scrape by and likely, they make up the majority.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2022, 12:27 PM   #949
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
While I agree (and you are not wrong in any way) you have to keep in mind that the Canadian consumer debt is pretty high, so a lot of these consumers are holding on to debt and paying interest to scrape by and likely, they make up the majority.
I don't disagree, I think I'm lucky enough to be in the minority that way and I think a lot of people in this forum are also in the same boat. I guess what I was trying to say is the bank doesn't really care for us that are taking advantage of those cards strictly for the rewards and rightfully so.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 01:43 PM   #950
RS Veteran

On the opposite end of the spectrum, you have high rollers (looking et EvoFire and guys like Badhobz) who have an American Express Platinum card which comes with an annual fee of $695/year with (now reduced) amount of benefits. These charge cards require you to pay off the entire balance within I believe 15 days or else the interest rate is in the mid to high 20% range. And if you fail to pay that off, they'd probably kick you off and send someone to break your knees aka RS Beat Down Crew haha

This post thanked by: