REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:55 PM   #801
Need my Daily Fix of RS

^^^does anyone know if fast food and coffee shops count as restaurants?
Advertisement
ray666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 12:28 AM   #802
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray666 View Post
^^^does anyone know if fast food and coffee shops count as restaurants?
Fast food -- definitely. At least McD, A&W, KFC / Taco Bell, Wendy's, Subway, etc. all count as restaurants.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 04:04 AM   #803
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
I have a Triangle World Elite Mastercard and it gives me 3% back in Canadian Tire Money for groceries. However, it doesn't work at Walmart and Costco. I also get 4% at any of the Canadian Tire family of stores. 1% everywhere else. The 24 month no interest or fees on purchases over $200 at CT stores comes in handy.

For restaurants, I use the Costco Mastercard. It gets me 3% back at restaurants. That's the only time I use it. I use my PC World Elite at Costco. I get 1% back, which is better than the 0.8 I get from using Costco's own Mastercard, gulolol. For any place that takes it, which is few and far between, I use the American Express Card.

I also have a More Rewards Visa card, a Bay Mastercard and a few others. The More Visa card is pretty much useless. The points you earn are pretty much useless. It's there in case I ever go to Price Smart or Save-On Foods to get 7 times the points.

I would like to get the Simplii Cashback Visa, but I think I've got enough credit cards. 10% for for months of restaurants and bars, and 1.5 % in groceries sounds really good. Argh........

Oh, the Home Trust Visa is my go to card when shopping in the US.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 04:16 AM   #804
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
Just got the Home Trust Visa after about 3 weeks. PIN came about 3 business days before the card itself. Wasn't aware that it has a 10 transaction limit, so I guess I have to take it easy when on vacation.
Has anyone tried calling them prior to going on a vacation to the US? I used to call Amazon/Chase Visa each time I went on a long trip to the US to avoid any declined transactions. I tell them where, when, and how long.

If they know that information, they may increase or even waive the limit???

I haven't been gone for long enough in the US since getting the HT Visa to go over that ten transaction limit.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 07:34 AM   #805
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,420 Times in 5,101 Posts
Can’t speak for each company, but phoning in pre-trip has not done much for me before... sometimes they still cut it sometimes they didn’t.

TD never cuts my First Class card no matter what, no idea what their algorithms are, but travelling flags is definitely not one of them lol... CapitalOne or Alaska? Not so much, they don’t even like me buying from foreign websites Alaska (MBNA parent company) cuts m my card every single time I buy from amiami (Japan hobby site) and I have to call in every time, no matter how many notes they put on my account that I frequently buy from there. Gave up and do it through PayPal now, ironically onto the same credit card lol
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:05 AM   #806
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Has anyone tried calling them prior to going on a vacation to the US? I used to call Amazon/Chase Visa each time I went on a long trip to the US to avoid any declined transactions. I tell them where, when, and how long.

I haven't been gone for long enough in the US since getting the HT Visa to go over that ten transaction limit.
I didn't call when I used my HT card multiple times on vacation, did not have any issues. I did not have a problem with the apparent 10 transactions a day limit or low spending limit.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:27 AM   #807
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:

I didn't before I went to Vegas for a weekend. Used the card a few times without issue. I did however get an email citing possible fraudulent activity on my card once I got home for the period I was in Vegas.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:23 PM   #808
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Quote:

There used to be an option online (Capital One) where I can indicate that I'm travelling and about a year ago I noticed it was gone so called them and they said there is no need to anymore.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-02-2018, 02:35 PM   #809
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

off topic question. does anyone know if i can pay using my td debit/access card and charge to my us chequing account while i'm in the states or do i need a separate us visa/us debit? thanks!
yameen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:52 PM   #810
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

a lot of pages to scroll through

looking for a cash back card on groceries / restaurants as that's where majority of my spendings go towards

can anyone sum up maybe top 3-5

much appreciated
m4k4v4li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:28 PM   #811
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4k4v4li View Post
a lot of pages to scroll through

looking for a cash back card on groceries / restaurants as that's where majority of my spendings go towards

can anyone sum up maybe top 3-5

much appreciated
No annual fee:

1) Simplii Cash Back VISA -- 4% on restaurants, 1.5% on gas / groceries / drug store, 0.5% on others

2) Tangerine Mastercard -- 2% rebate on up to 3 categories, 0.5% on others . Many of us would appreciate an offer to send you a referral, since both parties would benefit.

Annual Fee:
1) Scotiabank Momentum Visa Infinite - 4% on gas / groceries, 2% on drug store / recurring bills, 1% on everything else
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2018, 09:19 PM   #812
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
I just got my Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite card - $139/yr but no FX charges and equivalent to 2% cash back (travel points). Handy for me as I spend upwards of $10K/yr in the US for work and work gives me the 2.5% back so it turns out to a huge bargain to have this card.

If you've got the spending habits then this one is pretty nice.
Any updates from this card use? I was thinking of getting it since I go to US frequently and UBER is included in usage.

Also unlimited use unlike the Home Trust Visa which caps at 10 transactions a day.

The Rogers WE MC has 4% cashback but charges the FX fee (usually around 2.5-3%) so 1-1.5% cashback.

The $139 dollar AF is a bit steep but 6 free PP a year is a nice catch. You could do better with other cards or a mix of cards but I just want 1 card (for now..)
l2_narain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:35 PM   #813
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Get the Rogers WE with no annual fee for foreign spending. No fx card can beat that one.

The Scotia Passport is a shit card. Who pay $139 a year for terrible rewards? Lounge passes are gimmicks.

My current combo is Rogers WE + Amex SCP. Retired the MBNA WE because of the nerf (what a great card that was). Would go with the Rogers WE as a single card but the credit limit is so pathetic I'd have 100% utilization every month.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:54 PM   #814
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
Get the Rogers WE with no annual fee for foreign spending. No fx card can beat that one.

The Scotia Passport is a shit card. Who pay $139 a year for terrible rewards? Lounge passes are gimmicks.

My current combo is Rogers WE + Amex SCP. Retired the MBNA WE because of the nerf (what a great card that was). Would go with the Rogers WE as a single card but the credit limit is so pathetic I'd have 100% utilization every month.
If it was a VISA I would jump on it.

I'm going to cancel my current MNBA Platinum Plus MC since the balance transfers are at a higher rate now and get the ROGERS WE MC.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:22 PM   #815
RS controls my life!

Hey guys,

Any AMEX card to recommend? I was looking at the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express
Old 01-03-2019, 10:18 PM   #816
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
what's a good replacement for MBNA World Elite? they raised the fee

Quote:

i called in and was concious about the limit, was able to go over it in LA

I usually carry a backup card on the road anyways

HT is nice in that if they suspect susp activity, they'll e-mail you for verification
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:10 AM   #817
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
There is no good VISA rewards card that can match Mastercard's and Amex's products. Visa cards have annual high fee, shit rewards or have lame ass restrictions like Home Trust Preferred. Just look at card portfolio of banks that have strictly VISA like RBC. What a joke.

Amex SPG Starwood used to be a great card but I think that got devalued a few months ago? Anyways most people use AirBnB nowadays... Amex Cobalt and Simply Cash Preferred would my choices.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2019, 07:31 AM   #818
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by l2_narain View Post
Hey guys,

Any AMEX card to recommend? I was looking at the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express
What do you want it for? Travel, cash back, rewards/exclusivity?

I'm a big fan of the Amex Membership Rewards Gold Card, it's a really good card for travel with great insurance policies. Otherwise the Simply Cash Preferred is a great every day CB card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
There is no good VISA rewards card that can match Mastercard's and Amex's products. Visa cards have annual high fee, shit rewards or have lame ass restrictions like Home Trust Preferred. Just look at card portfolio of banks that have strictly VISA like RBC. What a joke.

Amex SPG Starwood used to be a great card but I think that got devalued a few months ago? Anyways most people use AirBnB nowadays... Amex Cobalt and Simply Cash Preferred would my choices.
The Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite is a pretty good cash back card IMO, especially with the current 10% bonus CB.

Amex SPG got devalued simply because SPG merged with Marriott. What a loss of a great hotel program.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2019, 10:04 AM   #819
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
What do you want it for? Travel, cash back, rewards/exclusivity?

I'm a big fan of the Amex Membership Rewards Gold Card, it's a really good card for travel with great insurance policies. Otherwise the Simply Cash Preferred is a great every day CB card.

The Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite is a pretty good cash back card IMO, especially with the current 10% bonus CB.

Amex SPG got devalued simply because SPG merged with Marriott. What a loss of a great hotel program.
I wanted the AMEX for the rewards/exclusivity. Another card I was looking at was the American Express AIR MILES Credit Card with no annual fee.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:45 AM   #820
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by l2_narain View Post
I wanted the AMEX for the rewards/exclusivity. Another card I was looking at was the American Express AIR MILES Credit Card with no annual fee.
Air Miles is trash skip that card. Exclusivity/rewards... Amex Platinum is actually very good if you can get past the costs. The business version costs less but has the same perks. Again, recommend the Membership Rewards Gold or Simply Cash Preferred depending on whether you want travel miles (convertible to airline miles which can be great value depending on usage) or cash back. Can usually find FYF deals on those.

Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts is great for hotel perks/benefits, and Amex Travel is very very good. Competitive prices and their call centre agents are 99% competent. I love Amex CS - they really treat you well and go above and beyond.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2019, 11:55 AM   #821
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
I have simply cash preferred. It helped offset our crappy exchange rate when I was in the promo period - I maxed out on cash back before the time period ended.

5% cb, no complaints here. I used it as the card to buy car parts.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2019, 09:53 PM   #822
My homepage has been set to RS

I got that new canadian tire card. Free road assistance on the black card, and great benefits/rewards with ct money, and sportschek, marks.

I shop at those stores and figure its' a solid card to have.

I alternate from that and the PC World Elite
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:59 PM   #823
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
I got that new canadian tire card. Free road assistance on the black card, and great benefits/rewards with ct money, and sportschek, marks.

I shop at those stores and figure its' a solid card to have.

I alternate from that and the PC World Elite
Just got the PC World Elite since I shop at Super a lot but what a brutal card to deal with online. Over 2 weeks now and still can't register an account online and reading online there are hundreds of complaints since they swapped to the new site. Some people even reporting it's been months and still can't get back online to view their activity. Call them and all they say is i'm not in the system yet that's why I can't verify? Like wtf really not in the system? I've been using the damn card for over 2 weeks now.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:16 PM   #824
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Just got the PC World Elite since I shop at Super a lot but what a brutal card to deal with online. Over 2 weeks now and still can't register an account online and reading online there are hundreds of complaints since they swapped to the new site. Some people even reporting it's been months and still can't get back online to view their activity. Call them and all they say is i'm not in the system yet that's why I can't verify? Like wtf really not in the system? I've been using the damn card for over 2 weeks now.
I agree with you. I'm a long time member and when the new site came, it's been a pain in the ass.

Sometimes it keeps asking me to verify.

The card is great though, with the points and occasional shoppers drug mart bonus days i.e/ 300 points to 450 redemption. Since signing up, I've probably got about 600? bucks back in points. Since over a year ish.

If you have a family, the PC Insider program at 50% often is great. A friend saved a bunch during a diaper deal they had.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:02 PM   #825
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
SimplyCashTM Preferred Card from American Express

Earn 5% cashback in your first 6 months

2% back thereafter.

its the new cash back card since mastercard lowered their 2% to 1.67%.

Last edited by Ulic Qel-Droma; 01-05-2019 at 09:54 PM.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: