REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   NHL IS BACK! The Official 2012/2013 Canucks & NHL Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/669494-nhl-back-official-2012-2013-canucks-nhl-thread.html)

UFO 09-23-2012 08:32 PM

Random exercise:
If the top 5 profit generating teams in the NHL were willing to contribute half of their profits to an imaginary league profit-sharing plan, they would be able to cover the losses of every team that is currently losing money (except for CBJ and PHX which lost a combined 38M last season)

If 18 of 30 teams are not turning a profit it makes you wonder why the owners, most who are astute business people, would unanimously decide to extend Bettman's contract. Maybe the money they lose on the toy that is their NHL team doesn't really matter to their overall worth, they see it as cost of business/depreciation?

Ronin 09-23-2012 08:49 PM

HOW ABOUT WE FUCKING MOVE TEAMS OUT OF SHIT MARKETS LIKE PHOENIX AND COLUMBUS!?

Sorry, I just feel like the answer is obvious. Stop putting teams in shitty markets and move them to good ones. A second team in Toronto would be profitable. A team in Quebec would be profitable. A team in Windsor, Ontario would be profitable. A team in Seattle might have a shot.

How about we stop putting teams where people don't care about hockey and STOP COMPLAINING THAT THE NHL IS LOSING MONEY, YOU STUPID FUCK BETTMAN.

I'm pissed I'm not watching hockey right now and I might not get to this whole fucking year. I want to hit Bettman right in the mouth with a sock full of nickels.

BigTrollFace 09-23-2012 08:58 PM

Rollback bettmans salary see how he feels lol.

Honestly any canadian city has a shot at being profitable. Fuck even Nunavut

CRS 09-23-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTrollFace (Post 8037370)
Rollback bettmans salary see how he feels lol.

Honestly any canadian city has a shot at being profitable. Fuck even Nunavut

:badpokerface:

Weren't paying much attention in social studies, were we?

TheKingdom2000 09-23-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFO (Post 8037350)
Random exercise:
If the top 5 profit generating teams in the NHL were willing to contribute half of their profits to an imaginary league profit-sharing plan, they would be able to cover the losses of every team that is currently losing money (except for CBJ and PHX which lost a combined 38M last season)

If 18 of 30 teams are not turning a profit it makes you wonder why the owners, most who are astute business people, would unanimously decide to extend Bettman's contract. Maybe the money they lose on the toy that is their NHL team doesn't really matter to their overall worth, they see it as cost of business/depreciation?

Maybe they use it for tax purposes?

rsx 09-23-2012 09:38 PM

When the season ...if the season starts, fans should LOCKOUT and only come back when Bettman gets fired.

hotjoint 09-24-2012 09:49 AM

Some highlights from Malkin's and Ovi's game.

MR_BIGGS 09-24-2012 10:34 AM

Bettman thinks David Stern caved in to save the 2011-12 season by giving the players between 49 and 51 percent of basketball revenue as part of the agreement that ended the lockout. Bettman is against giving more than 48 percent to the union over the life of the next NHL agreement.

Expresso 09-24-2012 11:57 AM

I think this will play out exactly the same way as last year. Owners will wait till the players cave.

kristianhay 09-24-2012 12:17 PM

Doesn't seem like the players are willing to cave anytime soon either.

Quote:

Detroit Red Wings forward Danny Cleary warned today that the lockout that is threatening the start of the NHL season might linger on and on.

"I think people don't think it can go a year," Cleary said after several Wings held an independent skate at Troy Sports Center. "As players, we think it can. Maybe longer."

The NHL shuttered Sept. 16, when owners locked out players the day after the collective bargaining agreement between the NHL and the players' association expired. The last time the league went into lockout mode, it wiped out the entire 2004-05 season. This time around, the trend among pundits has been predicting a 60-game season that will start around Thanksgiving. But that hope might be fading.

"Just trying to be realistic," Cleary said. "I think the league is waiting for us to make the move, and we're waiting for them to move. So someone has to move. And I don't see it coming from our end. We've given them a couple of good options that they can work with, and they, obviously, feel it's not good enough.

"We're at a stalemate, I guess you can say. We're stuck in the middle right now."

The NHL already has canceled exhibition games through September and is likely to cancel October's slate this week. The Wings are scheduled to start the 2012-13 season Oct. 16, but Cleary doesn't see it happening.

"It's not going to start on time," he said. "No way."

Cleary, Henrik Zetterberg and Johan Franzen were among the Wings who wore their regular team sweaters during the informal skate. Niklas Kronwall opted for a youth hockey sweater, while Drew Miller wore a Team USA sweater. So did Jonathan Ericsson, despite being Swedish. His sartorial choice prompted Franzen to yell out "traitor" at Ericsson, but Ericsson had good reason to choose a U.S. sweater. Seems he wasn't allowed to take his Wings one with him when he left Joe Louis Arena on Sept. 14, though he was allowed to leave with his skates and sticks.

"We don't have any jerseys," Ericsson said. "They didn't let us keep any jerseys."

Ericsson joked that the guys who did have Wings jerseys on "must have stolen them. No, I'm just kidding. I don't know how they got a hold of them, but I didn't get one in my bag. I had to borrow a jersey. It's a nice jersey."

All of the veterans skating say they plan on doing so for the foreseeable future, as none is in a rush to go overseas to find a place to play. The only Wings to have done so at this point are Pavel Datsyuk, who went to Russia, and Valtteri Filppula, who went to Finland.

One of the biggest NHL names to have signed in Russia is Alex Ovechkin, the Washington Capitals superstar. Over the weekend, he hinted that players like him might not return to the NHL if the owners succeed in implementing a salary rollback again.

Wings players said that's within his right.

"They have all rights to play wherever they want to play," goalie Jimmy Howard said. "If that's with them staying over and playing in the KHL, then they'll have to deal with it."

The overwhelming sentiment among the Wings is a desire to see this lockout end.

"You would think there would be a little urgency to get together, but that's just the way it is," Kronwall said. "I know they're planning to meet this week, so hopefully, we can have some good talks and go from there."

Asked about the possibility of the entire season being lost, Kronwall said, "Well, it could be. It could be two years. If you look at it that way, anybody can just put things out there. But I think everybody is looking to end this sooner rather than later."
Red Wings' Danny Cleary: NHL lockout could last a year or more | Detroit Red Wings | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

That being said, it seems that the owners are really trying to force the NHLPA's hand here.

Quote:

Allan Walsh ‏@walsha
NHLPA asked to resume talks on multiple occasions over 2 weeks. Daly says NHL not interested unless players accept huge cut. @reporterchris

fsy82 09-24-2012 12:42 PM

I think Bettman is under estimating the players this time around. I can see the whole year being lost but if it goes onto two years I would assume the actual owners might push to get it done faster.

Mike Oxbig 09-24-2012 01:40 PM

LOL players are will to do anything but take pay cuts, good luck NHL.

kwy 09-24-2012 03:06 PM

I'm fucking sick of this NHL bureaucracy already. Looks like my money will be going to watch AHL games.

Mike Oxbig 09-24-2012 03:16 PM

Abbortsford heat meet anyone? We can go olive garden for pre game meal :lol

Mike Oxbig 09-24-2012 03:24 PM

NOV 9 friday and 10 saturday vs the OKC barons, RNH Eberle schultz MPS maybe hall in action.

hockey night in abbortsford :fuckthatshit:

MR_BIGGS 09-24-2012 04:52 PM

This affects the players more than the owners. A salary for an NHL player is his livelihood, owning a sports franchise is a hobby. That being said, these owners are astute businessmen and would prefer a system that works for them. This isn't their main money maker, but it is for the players.

The NHLPA will crack. There will be a fringe player who speaks out, saying that it wouldn't be so bad if they only got xx% instead of xx%. Look at the guys they are quoting in stories. Cleary is a dinosaur whose been in the league for some time now.

I don't know if Id turn to WHL games, but it would be cool watching the players I drafted in my pool (Rielly, Dumba).

Eastwood 09-24-2012 05:07 PM

Too many players remember the last lockout. They didn't win then, and they're not going to win now. The longer this goes, the more likely that the players will accept less.

Vansterdam 09-24-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Earl (Post 8038006)
Abbortsford heat meet anyone? We can go olive garden for pre game meal :lol

im down... mainly for olive garden :troll::fullofwin::fuckyea:

kwy 09-24-2012 05:53 PM

I'm down for the Wolves games and the Barons games.

UFO 09-24-2012 06:42 PM

Oilers moving to Seattle? Not a chance this happens IMO, just a scare tactic to extract more out of taxpayers

Oilers in Seattle to consider possible relocation - sportsnet.ca

AzNightmare 09-24-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotjoint (Post 8037725)
Some highlights from Malkin's and Ovi's game.

Ovechkin and Malkin in KHL - YouTube

lol, what's with the Call of Duty music.

willystyle 09-24-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFO (Post 8038209)
Oilers moving to Seattle? Not a chance this happens IMO, just a scare tactic to extract more out of taxpayers

Oilers in Seattle to consider possible relocation - sportsnet.ca

As much as EDM being the last choice for many NHL players to play for. There's no way in hell they are moving.

Hondaracer 09-24-2012 09:20 PM

thats the dumbest shit ever.. i cant belive bmac and taylor tried to run with it

bmac and taylor is the worst fucking sports show on the radio these days, fucking hell it's bad, one day i'm gonna phone in and just rip bmac a new asshole regarding dumping pratt for him

spideyv2 09-24-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8038388)
thats the dumbest shit ever.. i cant belive bmac and taylor tried to run with it

bmac and taylor is the worst fucking sports show on the radio these days, fucking hell it's bad, one day i'm gonna phone in and just rip bmac a new asshole regarding dumping pratt for him

please do it

highfive 09-24-2012 10:59 PM

^ Plus let us know date and time.