REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 11:11 PM   #1601
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseBlue View Post
i don't see any issues with the way av coaches...put yourself in his position...he cares about the wins...if a vet will give him a better chance at winning, he'll use him...this talk of using rookies and letting them develop/grow, should be done in the ahl. every coach knows that they will get fired for losing...looks like a double edged sword
What do you do when your veterans aren't productive? Keep them on the ice and play a short bench or do you change it up and give your younger players a shot?

It's not like the Canucks are guaranteeing themselves a win by playing veterans either. Not being afraid to play young players late in tight games will help them learn and gain experience. You won't be able to simulate this in the AHL.

There have been many players who played well in the AHL but didn't/haven't had the same success in the NHL. Search Jason Krog, Alexandre Giroux, Darren Haydar, Peter White. Look up any AHL records or top point scorers in each year and they're mostly no names. The more successful players may have a start in the AHL but they develop by playing NHL minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
lol canucks fans too spoiled and canucks players are overly confident at times and have missed opportunities...

AV usually out coach the opposition because everyone buys into the coaching system but other players usually out play the vancouver canucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
canuck fan logic:

coach gets out-coached by the coach who had his team playing unstoppable hockey and absolutely dominated every team in the playoffs to win the cup faster than any team in god knows how long.... fire top 5 coach in the NHL to replace with..... no better coaches available.
When has AV ever out-coached the opposition? Other than the constant line juggling, what changes does he make to his game plan to out-coach an opponent? He has one game plan and abides by it religiously regardless of how ineffective it may be.

The Canucks had trouble scoring goals during the SCF and in the first round of the 2012 playoffs. He kept the same game plan and it simply didn't work. I mentioned the 2006 Oilers here before. MacT introduced a defence first system when the Oilers barely squeezed into 8th place ahead of the Canucks and they took out the President Trophy winning Red Wings.

AV just luckily caught on with the Canucks when they had the most talented roster in the team's history. You can put anyone behind this bench and get similar results.

If something isn't working then you need to make changes to make it work. You can't keep beating it with the same hammer and expect a different result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
Adaptation...AV's weakness.
Best description of his style... or lack of.
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2012, 06:03 AM   #1602
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Teggie View Post
Does anybody remember a big ticket UFA like a Suter, Parise, Richards, Drury, Gomez, Hossa etc ever stay with their old team after July 1st? It seems like if they don't have a contract with their old teams by July 1st, you can pretty guarantee they're leaving. Dunno why Poile or Lamorello actually thinks they have a chance their guys will actually sign with them. They're only fooling themselves. Those GMs owe it to their fans to either trade them at trade deadline or trade their rights for a draft pick instead of losing them for nothing.
well to be fair both New Jersey and Nashville were gearing up a cup run, nashville went all in at the deadline, and jersey went to the cup finals. You would think a cup might have made them stay so I guess it was worth a shot. No one would have given them much a garunteed pick for the rights to a UFA, they would have been conditional so unless they were traded to minny they woulda gotten nothing anyways.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:13 AM   #1603
UFO

^not fully true. Hamhuis' rights were traded twice before the Canucks signed him. The Pens gave up a 3rd rounder I believe. Philly gave up Ryan Parent for his rights. Neither of these deals were conditional on Hamhuis signing.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #1604
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts
"You know, we'll stick to the process here.."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #1605
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
AH, so now I finally realized - the Canucks have been winning all these games, coming within 1 win of having it all, IN SPITE of their coach. Damn if only we'd realized this sooner!
Old 07-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #1606
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Ted Nolan is probably one of the better coaches who's not coaching somewhere in the league.
Why so high on Nolan? Didn't do much when he was with the Islanders.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #1607

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
AH, so now I finally realized - the Canucks have been winning all these games, coming within 1 win of having it all, IN SPITE of their coach. Damn if only we'd realized this sooner!
The Canucks were lucky they even got 3 wins in the SCF. All 3 were games were won by 1 goal while Boston absolutely massacred them in their 4 wins.

The Canucks could only score 8 goals in the entire series. .. Bruins scored 8 in game 3 alone. Vancouver had two opportunity to close out the series and win the cup and it didn't happen.

No changes were made to their game plan despite not being able to score or stop goals. Their style of play couldn't match up to the size of the Bruins and AV made no changes to even try and combat this.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #1608
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
How do you combat size if you don't have players to go toe to toe?

As for Ted Nolan, he's fucked up pretty bad both times he's been to the NHL, he won't have another gig in the big leagues
Old 07-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #1609
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts
I don't think AV is to blame for us not winning the cup. You'd have to be a fool to think that IMO. Coaches provide game plans, strategies etc but its the player who has to match the effort level and sheer determination to win. Canucks didn't do that if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
Old 07-06-2012, 09:02 AM   #1610

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
The Canucks were lucky they even got 3 wins in the SCF. All 3 were games were won by 1 goal while Boston absolutely massacred them in their 4 wins.

The Canucks could only score 8 goals in the entire series. .. Bruins scored 8 in game 3 alone. Vancouver had two opportunity to close out the series and win the cup and it didn't happen.

No changes were made to their game plan despite not being able to score or stop goals. Their style of play couldn't match up to the size of the Bruins and AV made no changes to even try and combat this.
So basicaly you think AV should have gone on the ice himself after Rome got suspended or something like that?
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-06-2012, 09:08 AM   #1611
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Regardless of what happened the previous 6 games of the SCF the nux had a chance to close out on home ice and didn't. Boston was the better team that night and arguable throughout the whole series. AV is a great coach but does have some problems adapting while in game like others have mentioned. He WILL take us to the SCF again .. hopefully sooner then later. As for this off season we are going need more then Garrison to fill the roster. Another top 6 FWD and hard nosed defencemen would be nice. Luongo trade rumours continue, who knows what we could get for him in trade value.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #1612
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
It doesn't matter what happened over a year ago... There has been a whole season since then and there isn't a point of talking about it because everything has changed since then...
Old 07-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #1613
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
No real surprise

Roberto Luongo’s writing appears to be very much on the wall in Vancouver | Backhand Shelf | Blogs | theScore.com
Old 07-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #1614
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
I just don't read anything by anyone that thinks AV is a bad coach. It's always absolute crap.
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #1615
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
I just don't read anything by anyone that thinks AV is a bad coach. It's always absolute crap.
I just don't read anything by anyone who makes remarks about how no top notch free agent will sign in Minnesota

This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #1616
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
in that interview, lu sounds so sad to leave. but eager to leave because he feels no one in the city wants him anymore.

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
Old 07-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #1617
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
The series against Boston was the final straw for me on AV and the Sedins. Seeing those guys get punched in the face was biggest insult and disrespect for the club. That was terrible for team morale.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #1618
I don't get it

The interview:
The Jeff O'Neil Show VS Roberto Luongo by 993thefox on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 07-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #1619
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
he didnt say yes or no to @strombone1
and peeing in the shower..
HHA
Old 07-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #1620
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0unce. [?] View Post
in that interview, lu sounds so sad to leave. but eager to leave because he feels no one in the city wants him anymore.
And that's pathetic. I've got one photo for everyone criticizing his play and calling for his trade:

He did more for this city than any goaltender ever will.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #1621
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
trade #35 for a powerforward and make another run for the cup, 1 more yr... :')
Old 07-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #1622
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,257 Times in 1,621 Posts
I truly hope the fans will do something to show their gratitude when Lu ends up leaving. Even seeing him off at the airport and thanking him for his hard work would be a nice, respectful gesture.

Love him or hate him as a Canuck, he is the winningest goalie in our team's history.
Spoiler!
Old 07-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #1623
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post
I truly hope the fans will do something to show their gratitude when Lu ends up leaving. Even seeing him off at the airport and thanking him for his hard work would be a nice, respectful gesture.

Love him or hate him as a Canuck, he is the winningest goalie in our team's history.
yea by whining more
thats how this city is
Old 07-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #1624

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDął View Post
And that's pathetic. I've got one photo for everyone criticizing his play and calling for his trade:

He did more for this city than any goaltender ever will.
What you can't even see Crosby in that picture
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #1625
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
A skill team that is the league's best PP goes 2/33 in seven games.
No Shit Boston was like and gooning.
Retaliate or not, canucks game plan was to remain composed and score on the powerplay,
But obviously that strategy went to shit.

Critics won't shutup just because of Luongo's gold medal.
Its still too easy for them to debate that he was behind the worlds best players
And that any backup goalie could have won too.

Haters gonna hate.
This post thanked by:
Closed Thread