REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 03-06-2023, 07:47 PM   #3126
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,806 Times in 8,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender Unit View Post
Lamar is done with Baltimore

Baltimore is waiting teams to offer their First Round Picks to them
According to whom?

IMO the most likely scenario (not guaranteed, since I don't know, but this is going off what he has said over the last 5 years) is they tag him, and he goes for another pre contract SB win (which was always his goal since day 1) and if he gets it, they sign him to the ridiculous deal. If they don't make it, they tag him again next year and try again. I don't see them taking draft picks, since they have a franchise guy already, and any draft pick will be a downgrade.

After that, if they fail again, I have less ability to predict. I guess it was never meant to be, in that case.

Lamar hasn't really been secretive about his goals at all. He's said it since 2018: Try to win a SB on his rookie deal, then sign a ludicrous contract. If they want to give him the money first he'll take it. But if they don't, he'll wait and keep trying to win. It's always been like that, on the rare occasion he did talk.
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 04:40 AM   #3127
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,959 Times in 1,891 Posts
^ nobody knows so everyone is taking their best guess, even you. And if they do tag him, exclusive, or non?

But there are those who might have connections with the Ravens Mgmt and leaking that they are willing to take picks for Lamar because the Ravens just aren't stupid enough to pony up Deshaun Watson guaranteed money on a player that has injury issues. And if Ravens did give him fully guaranteed money, everyone, including yourself, should conclude that the Ravens Mgmt team is incompetent.

Last edited by whitev70r; 03-07-2023 at 05:40 AM.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 04:44 AM   #3128

In other news, good for this guy!

This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2023, 05:45 AM   #3129

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
^ nobody knows so everyone is taking their best guess, even you. And if they do tag him, exclusive, or non?

But there are those who might have connections with the Ravens Mgmt and leaking that they are willing to take picks for Lamar because the Ravens just aren't stupid enough to pony up Deshaun Watson guaranteed money on a player that has injury issues. And if Ravens did give him fully guaranteed money, everyone, including yourself, should conclude that the Ravens Mgmt team is incompetent.
Right, nobody knows, that's what I'm saying. But if you go by what Lamar has said over the last 5 years (the very few times he says anything) and what EDC says, you should come to a conclusion similar to mine. It might or might not happen, but that's the way I see it. And it's not just being a fan - I don't think it's the best scenario whatsoever. But it's how I see it working out.

I don't think they're going to play games with a non exclusive contract. They're going to tag him and play a season with him again, and try again next year. It's not the most exciting outcome, and not one that people on ESPN and twitter want to see, but again if you listen to the few times Lamar has spoken, and the few times EDC has spoken, this should be what they do. Anyone who says he'd sit out a tag doesn't pay attention at all.

I agree that they don't want to give him guaranteed money for non guaranteed results. But I think they'd be willing to pay him after the fact (after a Super Bowl). We shall see... The defense is SB level at least, the offense needs work, even with Lamar.
Old 03-07-2023, 05:54 AM   #3130

One weird feeling I have is that if they do just blow it up and trade him for picks, I see them trying to bring in Justin Fields. I don't know why, it's just a weird gut feeling. I really don't think they want to trade him, even for 3 first rounders. He IS the Ravens. It would be a huge change for the entire team, not like losing Tyreek or something.
Old 03-07-2023, 11:29 AM   #3131
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I guess we'll see his worth is in the open market, they went Non-Exclusive franchise tag which is kind of surprising. Other teams can make offers, Ravens can match or take compensation draft picks.

I'm curious to see if there are teams out there willing to give him the full guarantee of what he's looking for and the 2 first round draft picks required to get him. He's a good player but I think it would be a bad move for most teams even if your willing to give him the money and take the risk, losing two first round picks on top is kind of huge.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 12:38 PM   #3132

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post

I don't think they're going to play games with a non exclusive contract. They're going to tag him and play a season with him again, and try again next year.
So ... not what you thought.

Let's see if any teams will go after him.
Old 03-07-2023, 02:05 PM   #3133

The Ravens sub is filled with statements from teams saying they are not going to pursue him. So it looks like there's some weird conspiracy with at least these owners. Some are saying the NFLPA are trying to use him as a way to reset the QB market even further than Watson did.

On a non exclusive you have to expect someone to offer a crazy deal like Watson got. If they don't, it's pretty weird and NOW this thing may become the strange situation people have been treating it as too early.

Hopefully it works out "normally" and the best deal is similar to the ones the Ravens were offering in the first place, and he signs it and everyone can stop going crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
So ... not what you thought.

Let's see if any teams will go after him.
Not the exclusive part no, but the rest of my prediction is looking likely to happen. We'll know more on Monday once teams can start making offers (if any do)
Old 03-07-2023, 03:10 PM   #3134

The fact that they are putting it out there immediately is what's weird to me. They can't even talk to him until Monday

But maybe it's just a matter of fact that truly no team is as bad as the Browns, and it's not just a meme. Might as well put it out there... I dunno though, there has to be some teams as bad as them. Right?

Old 03-07-2023, 06:52 PM   #3135

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I guess we'll see his worth is in the open market, they went Non-Exclusive franchise tag which is kind of surprising.
This explains why

Also they have to be confident nobody is going to stink things up like the Browns did with Watson. Maybe it's collusion, maybe it's just them being smart.

We shall see!
Old 03-09-2023, 11:40 AM   #3136
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,683 Posts
-might be plenty of player movement once NFL free agency starts on March 15th.

I heard rumours from a colleague (He's a 49ers fan) that the Pats might want to try to sign Jimmy G.

The Pats will release the destroyer Hoyer.

Of course, Mac and the backup Bailey Zappe are the QBs.

Is Belichick trying to make cap room to sign Garoppolo? Jimmy G would play for New England again?
Old 03-09-2023, 03:36 PM   #3137

Whoever signs Jimmy G is gonna regret it
Old 03-10-2023, 07:56 PM   #3138

Panthers trade a whole wack of picks & WR D.J. Moore to Chicago Bears for the the No. 1 overall pick.

Old 03-10-2023, 08:22 PM   #3139

Smart of the Bears to do, they already have their guy. And getting DJ Moore on top of picks? Insane
Old 03-13-2023, 09:38 AM   #3140

NFL free agency begins!

The 49ers defence got even better. -signing defensive tackle Jevon Hargrave to a four year contract. $84 million.

The New England Patriots are expected to re-sign cornerback Jonathan Jones to a two-year deal, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday.

This is an important signing for the Pats given that Devin McCourty announced his retirement recently. Jones could slide over from cornerback to safety now that McCourty is not gonna play football anymore.

Jimmy G plays for the Raiders now.

SkinnyPup, your Ravens also made a move today:

https://www.nfl.com/news/ravens-rele...alais-campbell

Last edited by pastarocket; 03-13-2023 at 09:57 AM.
pastarocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 09:42 AM   #3141

Your thoughts on free agency so far?
Old 03-13-2023, 03:42 PM   #3142
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Jimmy G to the Raiders based on what they paid is a really good signing for a bridge QB, they need to draft someone to learn behind him and probably fill in for him when he's injured like usual. That said, I think it was a good move by the Raiders.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2023, 03:54 PM   #3143

I have my doubts about Jimmy G without Shanahan. We shall see

No other big signings yet
Old 03-13-2023, 04:22 PM   #3144

Jimmy G in Las Vegas with Josh McDaniels

Old 03-14-2023, 05:21 PM   #3145

Old 03-14-2023, 07:35 PM   #3146

He's saying that the $200m guarantee is bullshit because the remaining $66m it can be canceled if he gets cut. So it's effectively $133m guaranteed. If he had an agent, his side would leak the number, so he did it himself.
Old 03-14-2023, 08:14 PM   #3147

When it gets to the point where either party has to use the SM to make their point, it has really soured the relationship.

First, the Ravens (very prudent on their part) kinda insults Jackson with just the non-exclusive tag vs. the exclusive. Then there are whispers of 'collusion' ... no team yet pounced on this, only ones saying they are out. Then Jackson leaks this through Twitter.

Think it's time that they find a mutual parting. Maybe try the Huntley experiment.
Old 03-14-2023, 08:27 PM   #3148

Huntley ain't it lol

If they don't get Lamar, it means a team gave up picks for him and they'll probably draft a QB, maybe moving up.

I really think both sides respect each other, and are "just doing business". Jackson went after the media, not the team. The non-exclusive wasn't an insult, it was "just business". Jackson has said this several times. The team has said "he's different but we REALLY like him and want him on our team". It's just a tough, weird situation with how he wants to do this. If Lamar was going to hold out, the time to do it would have been last year. There were talks of collusion at first, because nobody really understood how it works. Once they figured it out, nobody really says that anymore.

I personally expected him to get a crazy offer from some trash team like the Browns, but it looks like the Ravens expected nobody to really be interested because they know if they offer anything reasonable, the Ravens are just going to match it anyway. And if they offer something outlandish like the Browns did, other teams might not take it so well (and that's where the idea of collusion comes in, but it's not like it's a conspiracy - it's just how things are).

NFLPA sees this as a way to completely reset how contracts are done, and are using this situation to get the best for the players. They want guaranteed to actually be guaranteed. $200 means $200, not $133 plus maybe more.

None of us know for sure how they think, all we have to go by is the few times either side says anything. And if you go by that, they respect each other and just view this as a tough negotiation. When it comes to playing, and teammates, that is all separate. Anyone saying otherwise, I'd like to know what they're basing that off other than their imagination.

I'm not complaining about any of this, it's just how it is... I see the point of view from both sides. On one hand, I want Lamar to make as much money as he can. On the other hand, I want the team to be able to move forward towards winning a Super Bowl with him. But I'm not about to cape for a billionaire owner, or millionaire player. It's just how it is
Old 03-15-2023, 08:33 AM   #3149

Wow, the Buc signed Baker Mayfield.

He's going to be Brady's successor. One year, 8.5 million.

https://www.nfl.com/news/buccaneers-...-one-year-deal
Old 03-15-2023, 10:37 AM   #3150
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,550 Times in 1,705 Posts
I totally thought people would be throwing offers at Lamar, the guy is a stud, he's a big upgrade for most of these teams that don't have a QB, even with picks having to be offered.

I have a feeling he'll get paid and end up staying with Baltimore, but damn would it be neat to see him head over to Atlanta.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote