REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:09 PM   #13476
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
^ good that the developers are taking note...

I still rmb shopping for a condo and seeing the Richmond Concord presale prices in 2017...

I was so close to pulling the trigger on Concord at the peak.
Advertisement
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:20 PM   #13477
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Province moves forward on condo, strata assignment register

Quote:
The British Columbia government has released regulations to create a new condo and strata assignment register.

This register is designed to crack down on tax evasion and make B.C.’s real estate market more transparent and fair for British Columbians.

“We will not allow real estate speculators and tax frauds to take advantage of loopholes in the system any longer, and this register sends a clear message. The days of avoiding taxes through condo flipping are over,” said Carole James, Minister of Finance. “This register will help bring fairness and integrity back to B.C.’s real estate market, so that people can afford homes in the communities where they live and work.”

The existing real estate regime in British Columbia was vulnerable to those involved in flipping pre-sale condo assignments without paying the appropriate taxes. To crack down on tax evasion, the B.C. government is creating the Condo and Strata Assignment Integrity Register (CSAIR). The government will collect comprehensive information on condo and strata assignments through the register and help tax authorities find people who are not paying the appropriate taxes.

Effective Jan. 1, 2019, developers who sell strata lots in development properties must:

include terms and a notice in their contracts to inform buyers of the new collection and reporting requirements;
collect information, including the terms of the assignment and the name and social insurance number or business information of the parties to the assignment; and
report this information in the online register.

The B.C. government will provide this information to the Canada Revenue Agency so that transactions can be traced back to the assigner’s income tax return. This will ensure that people who assign condos are paying the appropriate income taxes.

The government will use this information to ensure that buyers accurately report the final purchase price of a condo unit, including all assignment amounts, and pay the appropriate property transfer tax. The government will also use the information to inform future housing and tax policy.

The Land Title and Survey Authority of British Columbia will manage the online register system. In order to comply with the new assignment reporting requirements, developers must update their contracts by Jan. 1, 2019, and must have a myLTSA Enterprise account by March 31, 2019. The first assignment reporting period ends March 31, 2019, and the report is due on April 30, 2019.

The register is one part of the B.C. government’s 30-Point Housing Plan to address housing affordability. Already, the government has taken several actions to address tax fraud and close loopholes in the real estate market, including:

Convened an Expert Panel on Money Laundering in Real Estate to identify systemic risks that leave the real estate and financial services sectors open to money laundering.
Consulting on legislation to establish a new, publicly accessible registry of beneficial owners of real estate in B.C.
Updating the property transfer tax return to uncover beneficial owners behind corporations and trusts.
Enacting legislation to allow information sharing on the homeowner grant with federal tax officials to improve tax enforcement.
Strengthening property transfer tax auditors’ ability to take action on tax evasion.
Establishing a federal-provincial working group on tax fraud and money laundering.

Learn More:

Read the regulation: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content?i...13F9409C154127

Information on the Condo and Strata Assignment Integrity Register for developers:
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/g...al-estate/news

30-Point Plan for Housing Affordability: http://bcbudget.gov.bc.ca/2018/homes...mes_For_BC.pdf
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2018, 05:18 PM   #13478
G
Banned (BBM)

There was a unit that was on the same level and same floorplan as mine when I listed my property (1 BR - 600 SQ.FT at Ormidale WCCP) in June/July.

Started off at 600k, dropped to 580, then dropped to 550. His listing said something about wanting to complete in October, and I am assuming that he had another property lined up etc. Well, October rolled around and no offers, dropped down to 499 and sold a few days later at 488..... what a steal? Totally skews the value in the building though IMO.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2018, 08:48 PM   #13479
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
A friend has been listing at Highgate Esprit Building for the last 3 months. Listed for $699k 2 BR 2 BA 849 Sqft. Highest floor + 2 parking spots. Apparently highest offer so far was $580k. Would it be a good buy at $600k :thinking:
More realistic is around 650k.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2018, 06:43 AM   #13480
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
A friend has been listing at Highgate Esprit Building for the last 3 months. Listed for $699k 2 BR 2 BA 849 Sqft. Highest floor + 2 parking spots. Apparently highest offer so far was $580k. Would it be a good buy at $600k :thinking:
Your friend is giving you the inside scoop of offers eh. He can probably tell his client that your 600k offer would be the best theyll get then ; )
Acurapinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2018, 09:35 AM   #13481
My homepage has been set to RS

People have to remember that November is a terrible time for real estate sales no matter the market. Unless you have to sell right away, I would wait for March to roll around, the market typically picks back up.

A 2 bed 2 bath property in my building got listed for $1,000 a square foot. I think it is crazy high... it has already had 2 open houses. Will be interesting to see what happens with it. Hopefully it doesn't sell for too low and kill the values of the building itself.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2018, 11:51 AM   #13482
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
People have to remember that November is a terrible time for real estate sales no matter the market. Unless you have to sell right away, I would wait for March to roll around, the market typically picks back up.

A 2 bed 2 bath property in my building got listed for $1,000 a square foot. I think it is crazy high... it has already had 2 open houses. Will be interesting to see what happens with it. Hopefully it doesn't sell for too low and kill the values of the building itself.
Wait til March and expect less, even if it's not typically the best time to sell right now. By then, interest rates will be up again, maybe twice and it might be even harder to sell. It's a race to the basement.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2018, 12:21 PM   #13483

Interest rates might rise, but you also will have more people looking.

Depending the neighbourhood and supply it might be better to sell now, especially in lower-demand markets.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:25 PM   #13484
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
Wait til March and expect less, even if it's not typically the best time to sell right now. By then, interest rates will be up again, maybe twice and it might be even harder to sell. It's a race to the basement.
Second this.

In a market with a negative outlook (which YVR certainly is in now), CASH is king.

With rate going up, all newly elected officials willing to put more pressure on the housing market, China tightening the outflow of capitals... etc, we are in a perfect storm.

If you can get an offer now that's reasonable and not lowballing, I'd suggest to take it.

Detached are already selling at big discounts for motivated sellers. It's only a matter of time the rest of the market catches up.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:36 PM   #13485
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Second this.

In a market with a negative outlook (which YVR certainly is in now), CASH is king.

With rate going up, all newly elected officials willing to put more pressure on the housing market, China tightening the outflow of capitals... etc, we are in a perfect storm.

If you can get an offer now that's reasonable and not lowballing, I'd suggest to take it.

Detached are already selling at big discounts for motivated sellers. It's only a matter of time the rest of the market catches up.
Agreed, been watching detached closely all year and they are not selling atm almost at all. Same inventory just sitting and reducing and sitting some more.

I'm waiting until spring and I'll evaluate then what I'm going to do.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:43 PM   #13486

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Agreed, been watching detached closely all year and they are not selling atm almost at all. Same inventory just sitting and reducing and sitting some more.

I'm waiting until spring and I'll evaluate then what I'm going to do.
Worse off to keep the house on the market for months and continually reduce. That only invites lowball offers. No offers? Pull it off the market and try again after Christmas.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:36 PM   #13487
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Worse off to keep the house on the market for months and continually reduce. That only invites lowball offers. No offers? Pull it off the market and try again after Christmas.
Agreed, it's why I've held off listing mine. I think prices are going to continue to drop and since we're buying a more expensive house the drops are to our benefit overall.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:20 PM   #13488

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Does anyone know how many developments / suits will be up and running in the next 4 - 5 years? Seems like there's a tons of new development West of Richmond's #3 Road.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:28 AM   #13489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Second this.

Exactly. I've doubled up in 2.5 years (TH). If I have to take a bit of a hit, I'm still way up and I'm liquid. The flexibility of being able to put in a subject-free offer (including possession dates, since I'm also renting), in this market, will be pretty enticing for sellers. The discount I'll have to give on my TH is far less than the discount I'm going to get, buying a detach. The juice is definitely worth the squeeze.

fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol

RSUV #7
Old 11-08-2018, 09:01 AM   #13490

Quote:
Exactly. I've doubled up in 2.5 years (TH). If I have to take a bit of a hit, I'm still way up and I'm liquid. The flexibility of being able to put in a subject-free offer (including possession dates, since I'm also renting), in this market, will be pretty enticing for sellers. The discount I'll have to give on my TH is far less than the discount I'm going to get, buying a detach. The juice is definitely worth the squeeze.
Yeah. I think what we are currently in can be similar to what the US had a few years back.

I was all cash, and a commercial property came along. The seller was already taking a huge hit on its asking. But since I was the only one willing to offer an offer WITHOUT subject to financing, even though my offer wasn't the highest, I was able to buy the property for a sweet deal.

By being all cash, you'd be in a much stronger position should the CRASH really comes along. I've heard stories in the US that people were able to pay pennies on the dollar for properties simply because the seller had to sell.

My parents who invest heavily in commercial RE ALWAYS buy in a recession. That's basically their secret to accumulate wealth.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:45 AM   #13491

Thanked 2,755 Times in 701 Posts
Quote:
Interest rates might rise, but you also will have more people looking.

Depending the neighbourhood and supply it might be better to sell now, especially in lower-demand markets.
More people looking doesn't really mean anything.
Most of the people interested right now can't afford the juice on the mortgage as it is. If the rates continue to rise, it squeezes them more and they'll have to look at cheaper units.

The interest increases are only advantageous for those people luckily enough to have cash ready to go, which is not many.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:51 AM   #13492

The price peak was also about 3 years ago (for detaches in my neighborhood at least). Depending on their term, I'm sure a lot of them are going to be due to refinance soon, at a much higher rate. Couple that with the fact that a lot of them are fully leveraged, means they'll be hard pressed to make payments at the new rates.

RSUV #7
Old 11-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #13493
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

-
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:36 AM   #13494
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
The price peak was also about 3 years ago (for detaches in my neighborhood at least). Depending on their term, I'm sure a lot of them are going to be due to refinance soon, at a much higher rate. Couple that with the fact that a lot of them are fully leveraged, means they'll be hard pressed to make payments at the new rates.
How big of a difference would it be from years before to today’s interest rate. Im guessing it’ll be roughly 50$ more biweekly? Of course this depends on the home value
Acurapinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:16 PM   #13495
I am Hook'd on RS

prices are definitely dropping for detached but pre sales dont seem like they are slowing down at all. Burnaby, Richmond, Coquitlam, Surrey, all new developments that are packed on the opening days (I have been keeping an eye out)
d1gbick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:33 PM   #13496
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
Anyone on here recently rent out their current home, and purchase a second home?

PM me, got some questions.

Looking to rent out my condo in pomo and move closer to work. I sent an email off to my bank to see what the total scoop is, would love to hear from someone that has gone through it.

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:02 PM   #13497
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,309 Times in 2,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
Anyone on here recently rent out their current home, and purchase a second home?

Looking to rent out my condo in pomo and move closer to work. I sent an email off to my bank to see what the total scoop is, would love to hear from someone that has gone through it.
What exactly are you looking to do / to ask?

As far as mortage application is concerned, you can use the proposed rental income as part of your income in the mortgage application to qualify for a higher mortgage amount. If you were dealing with a mortgage broker, he can easily arrange to hire an external and supposedly independent appraiser to assess the rental value for you -- you'd just have to pay for the service, which I think is ~$200. If you are dealing with the bank directly, you might have to find that appraiser that yourself.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:15 PM   #13498
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post

Unless you have your condo paid off or have an insignificant mortgage balance, it might be difficult to get a second mortgage as the big banks only take 1/2 of your rental income in their calculations. They don't seem to have the appetite for individuals who are already levered.
soymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2018, 04:51 PM   #13499
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1gbick View Post
prices are definitely dropping for detached but pre sales dont seem like they are slowing down at all. Burnaby, Richmond, Coquitlam, Surrey, all new developments that are packed on the opening days (I have been keeping an eye out)
By the time a pre sal hits public over 70% is already purchased by VIP, friend and family of the developer etc etc…… so the public is left with the crappy units.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:13 AM   #13500

I think what many people fail to see in a down market is about the cashflow and opportunity cost.

Sure that in the very long term, RE always goes up because it adjusts itself to inflation.

However, if it costs you say $2000 per month on mortgage and the unit is generating 0 cashflows, then one should calculate to see if the opportunity cost of ownership outweighs the potential benefit.

With this, one could get a very good idea whether to sell or to buy into the market.