REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #51
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
it was just a really bad combination of everything imo

Parents were divorced (assuming that's what she meant by 'staying at my moms')
Online bully pressuring her for sexual favors
Guy takes her virginity for fun
Gets beat up by the guy (indirectly) who took her virginity, at the same time it was probably announced to the entire school what went down between the 2 of them
On antidepressants and anxiolytics which has shown a link in increased suicidal tendencies in youth.

Poor girl, just had way too much stuff going against her. RIP .. video is heartbreaking

How can you guys blame the parents? They probably work full time, and while they're at work she was unsupervised. The parents were caught in the middle of trying to keep a roof over their heads and raise a troubled child. And I'm pretty sure most teens aren't very open about their sex lives with their parents (which was kind of the last straw for her). Unless you're blaming the parents of the other kids?
Dad finds her beaten up in a ditch, takes her home where she proceeds to drink a bottle of bleach in an attempt to kill herself. At what point here is the dad not to blame? What part of that day was not a small warning sign that, hey, hmm, maybe something is bothering my daughter....

*edit*

Not saying the parents are 100% the cause, but I think they could have done a whole lot more to protect their daughter. Jesus. If I had a child that attempted to end their life, you can bet your fucking life I would be doing EVERYTHING to find out what the hell was the cause of it, and when I did, because I would NOT let that shit go, I would go to the ends of the earth to make that shit right.
Advertisement
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #52
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

RIP, watching this video made me sick and upset. It's a shame it took this tragedy to bring light to her situation. I'm sure there are more then enough people out there willing to reach out and help not only her, but people in situations similar to hers.
fuhkyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #53
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,657 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-19 View Post
Dad finds her beaten up in a ditch, takes her home where she proceeds to drink a bottle of bleach in an attempt to kill herself. At what point here is the dad not to blame? What part of that day was not a small warning sign that, hey, hmm, maybe something is bothering my daughter....

*edit*

Not saying the parents are 100% the cause, but I think they could have done a whole lot more to protect their daughter. Jesus. If I had a child that attempted to end their life, you can bet your fucking life I would be doing EVERYTHING to find out what the hell was the cause of it, and when I did, because I would NOT let that shit go, I would go to the ends of the earth to make that shit right.
And what makes you think that her father didn't do everything he could of to protect his daughter? I think people are making too many assumptions here... No one knows what exactly happened between her and her parents, or what her parents did to try to help.

Also something to think about; when you guys were around her age in grade 9 or 10 and if you were bullied, how open would you be to your parents about it? Most people that I knew (myself included) didn't think that telling parents would help at all, so we didn't tell them.

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread
NA6 Miata (Budget) Build Thread

Current: 09 370z, 07 E92 328xi, 16 R6
Past: 09 Civic Hybrid, 93 EG Si, 94 Integra GSR, 02 WRX, 99 NB Miata, 01 E46 325ci, 90 NA Miata, 03 CBR600RR
Limitless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #54
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
im actually starting to kinda wonder why this is getting so much media hype?

how many teens commit suicide each day? and how many call the helpline? and were only hearing about this one?

Being bullied, drugs, alcohol, sex, all that shit is all a recipe for disaster, and all the students at cabe do it, thats why their there.

It would be much more heartbreaking if the girl went to a normal school, had a normal upbringing, and just kept it all to herself.

But in this case, her parents fucked up, divorced, raised a child in all the wrong ways, didnt restrict internet time, got her a webcam, and EVEN after they got her titty pictures emailed to them, they did nothing. She tried to kill herself multiple times, and instead of helping her they throw her into cabe for 8 hours a day.

Wtf did anyone expect to happen? it was innevitable.

100% parents fault

cant really blame cabe teachers because they have a classroom full of delinquients, how can they discerne the suicidal ones from the regular clowns.
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #55

rip so friggin heartbreaking

especially tough for me to hear because my sister is this age. Thankfully she doesn't get bullied and goes to a more decent school, but of course this can happen anywhere to anyone. i know that if i heard anyone was bullying her in this matter or anything like that, i wouldn't think about age, legality, or anything else remotely logical. I would do everything in my power to fuck those kids the fuck up.
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #56
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
I would do everything in my power to fuck those kids the fuck up.
this kind of mind set is what starts bullying in a lot of situations. For all we know the girl may have been a trouble starter(not saying she was). Many bullies have problems of their own. They need to be dealt with but violence is never the answer. Have to understand the kids are only 15 years old.
blakgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #57
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-19 View Post

*edit*

Identifying is not as easy as you think. Individuals with suicidal ideations often hide them. Because suicidal individuals hide their ideations, they are often "diagnosed" with improvements, meaning they are less likely to suicide but, their suicidal ideations may have remain the same or escalated. She already said, counselling and anti-depressant drugs. That means she is having treatments with a psychiatrist. With that escalated level of suicidal ideation, the psychiatrist should have contacted the police and hospital and she would have been hospitalized, but this is not the case. That means even the girl has fooled the psychatrist that she making good progress. So simply blaming all on the parents is pointless. Even with improvements in depression and reduced suicidal ideations, attempting for complete suicide is still a possibility.

What reinforced her depression or triggering her negative perception/schemas toward life is facebook. I have no idea why the psychiatrist did not tell her to stop using facebook. Without facebook, she will be less likely to trigger these negative schemas leading to depression thus, suicide.
poopyiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #58
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakgtp View Post
this kind of mind set is what starts bullying in a lot of situations. For all we know the girl may have been a trouble starter(not saying she was). Many bullies have problems of their own. They need to be dealt with but violence is never the answer. Have to understand the kids are only 15 years old.
Also have to remember she was Gr 7 when an act of naive fun started this nightmare.

To all of RS, for your future children's sake, remember this video and raise them up properly. Should I have daughters, they will be the most conservative girls ever.

No need to blame ANYONE in this situation, what has happened has happened, people should just learn from it.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #59
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I can't say its 100% the parents fault, every one here was a teenager once and I for one never communicated with my parents as I do now. It was a different mindset when I was a teen and that talking to my parents was the last thing I would do or even listen to them.

I was not a delinquent or anything, but I rather talk to my uncles or friends about my problems. Having someone you can trust and talk to is very important.

In Amanda's case she had no one to express her feelings to, being on anti depressants can only worsen things. She felt alone but maybe if some open up to her, maybe this could have been avoided.

RIP Amanda
extracrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #60
Banned (ABWS)

There's been a plethora of occurrences where putting out nudes of yourself comes back to haunt you later. This teenage girl from Maple Ridge should have known better. She is solely to blame.

In the video she admits to cutting and drinking bleach, both of which are psychotic behaviors. In addition to antianxiety drugs, she should have been loaded with psychotropic drugs until her mouth foams and this wouldn't have happened. Then her parents would have had a much more obedient pet.
slnna6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #61

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
I know many people in this thread have been failed for their remarks blaming poor parenting. I was going to comment on the CTV's website in regards to this but using my better judgement, decided not to as it would be insensitive in case a family member reads the posts.

Let's look at reality and logics here because after all, living in a "la-la land" certainly won't get us anywhere. The real world has terrible, heartless people in it. The real world is full of people who enjoy tormenting others and THRIVE off the misery of others, might I even say, the helpless. That's the cold facts and nothing we do will change that. No matter what PINK movement you want to take part in, it's a frivolous effort in overcoming something that has existed, I'm sure, since the dawn of time. So long as there are differences amongst people, there will be bullies and victims.

That being said, focus on what CAN be done and what COULD'VE been done, REALISTICALLY. Catching these bullies would require a police effort, perhaps a community shunning, and might I say parents who pay attention to their kids? In a two-fold manner, if your child is so depraved of heart that he or she is tormenting another child, YOU, as active, caring parent, who wants your child to grow up as a positive member in our society, SHOULD and MUST make an effort to be involved with their lives and their activities (to a reasonable extent.) Just like ignorance of the law is not an excuse for breaking it, ignorance of your child's activities is no excuse for their misconduct. Parent's are RESPONSIBLE for the upbringing of their children and that is not something that can be done sitting on a couch.

On the other hand, the parents of a bullied child need to be involved to. How do you not know if your child is being bullied to this extent...And if you do, how do you not take precautions to prevent your child from being exposed to harm. CLEARLY this girl was unable to use the internet responsibly. After the first incident, the internet should have been cut off from her immediately. Why did she still have a Facebook account? Why did she have a YouTube account and was able to make a video trying to "provoke change." Help yourself first before trying to help and warn others. Her parents should've never giving her the opportunity to access these technologies. THEY are what aided in her pain and suffering. She went to go see a boy who had a girlfriend? Where did her parents think she was going? How did they let her go to boy's house after a boy had already tricked her into flashing them?

WHO gives their child full access to the internet at home, after they've been caught FLASHING themselves to strangers?? I just don't understand...

This is a very bizarre story and the fact that this little girl made a video showing the entire world what she was going through and what she was doing to herself and her parents STILL didn't have her on lockdown, is absolutely amazing.

Last edited by parm104; 10-11-2012 at 09:15 PM.
parm104 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #62
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
WHO gives their child full access to the internet at home, after they've been caught FLASHING themselves to strangers?? I just don't understand...
well kids these days would have access to facebook and msn, both seem like a way to connect with friends.

Msn has webcam abilities, so its a possibility none the less, unless you dont let them use internet at all.
extracrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by extracrunchie View Post
well kids these days would have access to facebook and msn, both seem like a way to connect with friends.

Msn has webcam abilities, so its a possibility none the less, unless you dont let them use internet at all.
...that's EXACTLY what I suggested. If you child has not been able to use the internet responsibly, then you as a parent need to disable the access. It's a simple solution and anyone who argues "well kids these days find access to the internet anywhere" doesn't understand how ridiculous that sounds.

Who buys the computers and cell phones that kids use to access the internet? - Parents
Old 10-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #64
Banned (ABWS)

Restricting her internet use won't help things. She could use a friend's comput... wait I don't think she had any of those. Or maybe the school computer. From what I've heard, she had access to drugs and alcohol (and bleach). Getting her paws on a computer wouldn't be that hard.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #65
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
This all started because she flashed her tits in front of a stranger (fact).

What the real problem here is that moral fundamentals weren't instilled in her. That's the parents fault. Parents need to teach their kids about values and consequences. Her parents failed.

Why is it that when a dog bites a person the owner gets in trouble? But when an under-aged teen does something horrific the parents aren't responsible? They need licensing and educational programs on how to become a parent before they let you have a kid.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by slnna6 View Post
Restricting her internet use won't help things. She could use a friend's comput... wait I don't think she had any of those. Or maybe the school computer. From what I've heard, she had access to drugs and alcohol (and bleach). Getting her paws on a computer wouldn't be that hard.
...Just because something can still happen means that you shouldn't make efforts to mitigate the opportunity? A child can still go to their friends house and take out their mom's car, so that means you shouldn't worry about giving your keys to your vehicle? There's ALWAYS a way around it...But there is also always a way to minimize the opportunity...it's really quite simple.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #67
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
I do blame the parents. They definitely had part in helping, but obviously didn't do enough, if anything.

But none the less, really sad story of another case of bullying.

Watching this video was really tough, and I got overwhelmingly upset by the time I was done.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #68
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
This post isn't directed towards anyone in this thread...

I find it funny and disgusting that everyone starts posting on fb and twitter on this subject and how hurt they are because it's the "trending" topic for today but forget that this person did try to reach out for help but was ignored until she committed suicide and now these trolls open groups and go status update crazy and act like they gave shit about the victim or about bullying. Like seriously stfu with your phony internet sympathy and maybe, just maybe get your ass off the computer and try to do something like go volunteer with one of many free hotlines that deal with depressed teenagers.

/end of rant.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #69
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
...Just because something can still happen means that you shouldn't make efforts to mitigate the opportunity? A child can still go to their friends house and take out their mom's car, so that means you shouldn't worry about giving your keys to your vehicle? There's ALWAYS a way around it...But there is also always a way to minimize the opportunity...it's really quite simple.
I realize that. The parents really should have done something. Personally in this case I think that loading her on psychotropic drugs to make her more docile would have done the trick. Some of these teenagers can be really stupid with the most minimum opportunities, especially in that community.
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Dean View Post

I find it funny and disgusting that everyone starts posting on fb and twitter on this subject and how hurt they are because it's the "trending" topic for today but forget that this person did try to reach out for help but was ignored until she committed suicide and now these trolls open groups and go status update crazy and act like they give a shit about the subject at hand with his bullying. Stfu with your phony internet sympathy and maybe actually try to do something like go volunteer time and hotlines that deal with depressed teenagers.

/end of rant.
All of a sudden people are acting like they were best friends with the girl and felt for the girl. Fuck that, you feel for her because it's VIRAL. It's the flavour of the week as shitty as it sounds. I'm not trying to be a dick, but it's the Kony 2012 of bullying.

BRB gonna change the world one like and status at a time.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #71
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Holy shit, it's like a room full of kids.

Are we going to talk about "parenting" or are we going to talk about "bullying"? I thought this side-topic would just be a passing-mention at best but the considerable amount of attention it's getting, it's starting to sound like people believe that the inadequate-parenting is the bigger evil out of all this.

Getting back to bullying. Fail me all you want but remember a few years back, a kid shot his bully (i think in his own porch); I was completely in support for that and if luck would have it that the bully here would share the same fate... I would gladly state that this world is a little bit of a better place with one less person of that sort.

Here's an interesting fact (regarding how big "bullying" is as a societal issue):

Bullying is a lot more vast than your stereotypical image of highschool hooligans. I have seen that bullying is ALSO quite common in workplaces. Bullying also exists at home. Bullying also exists between married couples.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #72
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:

I find it funny and disgusting that everyone starts posting on fb and twitter on this subject and how hurt they are because it's the "trending" topic for today but forget that this person did try to reach out for help but was ignored until she committed suicide and now these trolls open groups and go status update crazy and act like they gave shit about the victim or about bullying. Like seriously stfu with your phony internet sympathy and maybe, just maybe get your ass off the computer and try to do something like go volunteer with one of many free hotlines that deal with depressed teenagers.

/end of rant.
I'll be honest here and agree considering that my Facebook feed is flooded. While the circumstances of her death are absolutely terrible, people will forget this within the next month or so, unless a stronger bullying awareness campaign is started. And no, a "flashmob" where kids go and dance in a mall courtyard, does not count and that isn't technically a flashmob on top of that.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #73

Quote:
All of a sudden people are acting like they were best friends with the girl and felt for the girl. Fuck that, you feel for her because it's VIRAL. It's the flavour of the week as shitty as it sounds. I'm not trying to be a dick, but it's the Kony 2012 of bullying.

BRB gonna change the world one like and status at a time.
Quote:

/end of rant.
It takes many personal experiences for a person to get off their ass and do something, and it starts with a few eye opening situations, whether through personal experience or some internet flavour of the week. I'd rather be a bandwaggoner ANY day than a miserable, negative, close-minded hater
Old 10-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
It takes many personal experiences for a person to get off their ass and do something, and it starts with a few eye opening situations, whether through personal experience or some internet flavour of the week. I'd rather be a bandwaggoner ANY day than a miserable, negative, close-minded hater
To each their own, and it's your life and you are welcome without criticism to do exactly that. And of course, I truly hope that it does make a difference.

But by inferring that people who disapprove of "bandwagoning" on movements are haters, miserable and negative...aren't you hating right back? Aren't you doing exactly what we're trying to abolish here? Calling people miserable, close minded and haters? Just saying...
Old 10-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #75

^to clarify, i didn't mean "miserable, close minded and haters" as a way of putting people like that down. Yes these are negative words, but i literally meant that i think some people are sad, stressed, stubborn - these are their personality traits and these traits lead them to have a de-sensitized and critical sort of attitude about these type of stories a lot of the time...myself included
This post thanked by: