REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #251
Director of RS Cares
 
miss_crayon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Crayon Box
Posts: 5,173
Thanked 600 Times in 281 Posts
Although you guys have good points on why someone shouldn't be fired from their job from something they do during their personal time....I, myself agree with Mr Big and Tall's decision. A line was crossed in this case IMO. What kind of employer wants to have a member on their team/business with that kind of mindset?!

The fact is, the comment was "Thank God this bitch is dead," to a dead 15 year old girl all because of something stupid she did when was 12! How is she a bitch and what the fuck did she do to be celebrated that she's dead? It boggles my mind how people are faulting her and saying she deserved all this shit over one mistake she made when she was a child who didn't know any better. Can everyone honestly say they never did something they regretted over the span of their life? I know I can't!
Advertisement
__________________
tiptronic: getting cut off by bicycles since 2007
miss_crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #252
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy
 
snails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: in a shell
Posts: 2,598
Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
i dont mind that he was fired for something like this, consequences to douche bag actions help moderate the population a bit, if there was no consequence and people abused their freedom of speech i could imagine bullying on the rise as it wouldnt be frowned upon.

this wasnt freedom of speech, this was a disrespectful piece of garbage trying to get attention, and he did.

lets say this was your daughter and a random man who has never met her was to applaud her death publicly, do you feel there should be no consequence?
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #253
I have named my kids VIC and VLS
 
Hondaracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Off-Topic
Posts: 30,478
Thanked 10,045 Times in 3,590 Posts
welcome to the internet...shit aint all fucking daisy's and rainbows unfortunately
__________________
Dank memes cant melt steel beams
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #254
resident Oil Guru
 
LiquidTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,716
Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove View Post
this pretty much sums it up,

Any info on the story on the guy? That's sad too.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #255
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,378
Thanked 435 Times in 189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_crayon View Post
The fact is, the comment was "Thank God this bitch is dead,"
Totally uncalled for. I'd fire someone for that, too.
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #256
RS controls my life!
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 722
Thanked 599 Times in 165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
I Agree, I think it's absolutely wrong to fire this guy for something he did outside of work.

Giving a company the power to terminate an employee because it may "affect the company's image" is a pretty broad stroke of power.

Say an employee likes participating in the gay pride parade in their spare time, but the company thinks that "reflects poorly". Is it OK to fire the employee then?

Or another employee likes participating in Pro-Abortion rallies. Does their company have the right to fire them because they may think it "reflects poorly" on them?
What if that worker is a KKK member and openly speaks out negatively towards minorities? nothing wrong with gay rights or the abortion debate, really only the religious demographic dislikes those subjects. But pure hate thrown out to the masses for no good reason is hard to stand up for. This is seriously getting out of hand, how can you defend a fool who is still openly bullying people online? This is why this is getting so huge, people are hiding behind their keyboard saying such slanderous things yet never take responsibility beyond that because they can remain anonymous. In a case like this, action needs to be taken. People cannot be so ignorant just because it's online. This stuff affects people in all sorts of ways.
Everymans is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #257
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 12,484
Thanked 2,090 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_crayon View Post
Although you guys have good points on why someone shouldn't be fired from their job from something they do during their personal time....I, myself agree with Mr Big and Tall's decision. A line was crossed in this case IMO. What kind of employer wants to have a member on their team/business with that kind of mindset?!

The fact is, the comment was "Thank God this bitch is dead," to a dead 15 year old girl all because of something stupid she did when was 12! How is she a bitch and what the fuck did she do to be celebrated that she's dead? It boggles my mind how people are faulting her and saying she deserved all this shit over one mistake she made when she was a child who didn't know any better. Can everyone honestly say they never did something they regretted over the span of their life? I know I can't!
blame 4chan generation.

just like the idiots who are claiming that /r/creepshots and /r/jailbait is ok on reddit

i deal with neckbeards on a daily basis and i'm so sick of their shit.

Last edited by Meowjin; 10-17-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #258
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS
 
pinn3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vαncouver
Posts: 1,509
Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
my psychology teacher was talking about Amanda Todd today and how her topless photo was distributed when a fag kid in the back was like "oo do you have a picture??" and laughed to himself
wasnt funny in the slightest
nobody laughed
awkward silence among class
fuckin guy
__________________
pinn3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #259
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
Great68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Victoria
Posts: 8,938
Thanked 3,020 Times in 1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everymans View Post
What if that worker is a KKK member and openly speaks out negatively towards minorities? nothing wrong with gay rights or the abortion debate, really only the religious demographic dislikes those subjects. But pure hate thrown out to the masses for no good reason is hard to stand up for. This is seriously getting out of hand, how can you defend a fool who is still openly bullying people online? This is why this is getting so huge, people are hiding behind their keyboard saying such slanderous things yet never take responsibility beyond that because they can remain anonymous. In a case like this, action needs to be taken. People cannot be so ignorant just because it's online. This stuff affects people in all sorts of ways.
Hate speech is not free speech.

I never defended the comments this guy made you assfuck. I stated my opinion that I think it's wrong for an employer to punish someone for something outside of work.

While the guy who made the comments is an idiot, I highly doubt anyone thought that the Big & Tall store this guy worked for shared his opinion.
__________________
1968 Mustang Coupe
2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3
1997 GMC Sonoma ZR2
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions

Last edited by Great68; 10-18-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #260
My homepage has been set to RS
 
drunkrussian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,308
Thanked 824 Times in 340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowjin View Post
blame 4chan generation.

just like the idiots who are claiming that /r/creepshots and /r/jailbait is ok on reddit

i deal with neckbeards on a daily basis and i'm so sick of their shit.
lol neckbeards
Posted via RS Mobile
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #261
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.
 
SumAznGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Hongcouver
Posts: 7,775
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,092 Posts
Anonymous names second alleged stalker in Amanda Todd case

Second alleged person named.

Also, the news mentioned there are lots of fake Amanda Todd charities/donation sites.
__________________
Originally posted by Iceman_19 you should have tried to touch his penis. that really throws them off.
Originally posted by The7even SumAznGuy > Billboa
Originally posted by 1990TSI SumAznGuy> Internet > tinytrix
(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #262
Banned By Establishment
 
Gridlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New West
Posts: 3,998
Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Hate speech is not free speech.

I never defended the comments this guy made you assfuck. I stated my opinion that I think it's wrong for an employer to punish someone for something outside of work.

While the guy who made the comments is an idiot, I highly doubt anyone thought that the Big & Tall store this guy worked for shared his opinion.
The true irony. He worked at a clothing store. I mean, I know they have job interviews there, but do they really count?

Sometimes its ok to tell Miss. Neighborhood Watch to go fuck herself. politely of course.

Sample dialogue:

"Hi, I want to bring to light the comments that so and so made here about something completely unrelated to your business. I don't need to tell you that public perception is important and by continuing to employ him, its effectively saying that you agree blah blah blah..."

And sample response:

"Hey. I'll remind him that sometimes saying shit behind a keyboard gets people all riled up and while I agree with you that what he said was fucking disgusting, I'm not going to take his job for it just yet. I'll tell you what, you wait a week, and if it still gets under your skin enough that you can remember to get back in contact with me, I'll promise you to re-examine my decision. In the meantime, I'm going to continue with my assessment that I can't teach someone a lesson by firing them. I can by teaching them."
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #263
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
parm104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,806
Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
The true irony. He worked at a clothing store. I mean, I know they have job interviews there, but do they really count?

Sometimes its ok to tell Miss. Neighborhood Watch to go fuck herself. politely of course.

Sample dialogue:

"Hi, I want to bring to light the comments that so and so made here about something completely unrelated to your business. I don't need to tell you that public perception is important and by continuing to employ him, its effectively saying that you agree blah blah blah..."

And sample response:

"Hey. I'll remind him that sometimes saying shit behind a keyboard gets people all riled up and while I agree with you that what he said was fucking disgusting, I'm not going to take his job for it just yet. I'll tell you what, you wait a week, and if it still gets under your skin enough that you can remember to get back in contact with me, I'll promise you to re-examine my decision. In the meantime, I'm going to continue with my assessment that I can't teach someone a lesson by firing them. I can by teaching them."
...yes but in this particular situation, he straight out said it was a blessing that the little girl took her own life...I'm not sure about you, but I think there is a difference...
__________________
Clicky Clicky For my Feedback
parm104 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #264
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,378
Thanked 435 Times in 189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
lol neckbeards
Posted via RS Mobile

There are so many fucking loser geeks out on the internet these days, I wish I could beat so many people up. YouTube comments are the worst.
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #265
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,378
Thanked 435 Times in 189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
The true irony. He worked at a clothing store. I mean, I know they have job interviews there, but do they really count?

There's nothing I say on a keyboard that I wouldn't say in person.


Imagine showing up where "Glad that bitch is dead" works, looking him in the eye, handing him a printout of what he said, and asking him to read it.


I'd love to see the look on that blubbering cunt's face. He's probably a complete beta male, pudgy geek who can't get laid. I loathe people like that. Absolutely loathe them.
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #266
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: eVan
Posts: 228
Thanked 42 Times in 27 Posts
would I get banned if I posted an Amanda Todd meme?
Isaiah11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #267
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy
 
snails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: in a shell
Posts: 2,598
Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
^ i cant fail... so FAIL!
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #268
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: surrey
Posts: 48
Thanked 11 Times in 5 Posts
I am curious as to why this Amanda Todd situation is a huge hit. I mean, I am sorry she took her life (such a tragedy) but what about everyone else? I had a friend commit suicide in 03, but that didn't make the papers or the news. What about the soldiers overseas fighting? they come back and in some cases take their own lives, what about them? What I am saying is yes, this whole thing with cyber bullying and any form of bullying need to be addressed and ended. My personal belief is that a lot of parents are teaching their kids to be strong independent individuals, that ask what can you do for me? not what can I do for you? If we all went back to that instead of the new way, we all would be better off. DO TO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO TO YOU! Thank you.

PS. just my $0.02
CRXED9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #269
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy
 
snails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: in a shell
Posts: 2,598
Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXED9 View Post
I am curious as to why this Amanda Todd situation is a huge hit. I mean, I am sorry she took her life (such a tragedy) but what about everyone else? I had a friend commit suicide in 03, but that didn't make the papers or the news. What about the soldiers overseas fighting? they come back and in some cases take their own lives, what about them? What I am saying is yes, this whole thing with cyber bullying and any form of bullying need to be addressed and ended. My personal belief is that a lot of parents are teaching their kids to be strong independent individuals, that ask what can you do for me? not what can I do for you? If we all went back to that instead of the new way, we all would be better off. DO TO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO TO YOU! Thank you.

PS. just my $0.02

first flaw is that your friend did this in 03... there was hardly anything for social media, pretty hard for something to blow up on the internet with somewhere for that to happen, the reason i think this got so much attention is that there was a video for people to sympathies with that touched many hearts and made people feel like taking action "like kony video"

tragic none the less, nut things like this happen daily with little notice by anyone, a few things lined up well for this to become as huge as it has, social media obviously, the fact that its a young girl, she had previously made a video reaching out, all worked together to make this huge
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #270
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,378
Thanked 435 Times in 189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXED9 View Post
My personal belief is that a lot of parents are teaching their kids to be strong independent individuals, that ask what can you do for me? not what can I do for you?

Here's my theory:


In communities like the taliban, I bet there is next to no bullying, because everyone knows what society expects of them. Also, without entertainment to distract them and the luxuries of modern life, people have to get along better to survive. Everyone loves each other and tows the line, because if you don't, you'll get fucking beheaded or whipped, or you might get excluded from the group and you'll starve.(conform or physical violence) These punishments are probably handed down by elders who adhere to religious or tribal laws.

In our western, fame and status obsessed culture, our lives are a lot more convenient, safe, and easier. Nobody starves. We have endless entertainment and we're probably a helluva lot more independent of each other. In this society, physical violence is probably a lot less likely to happen as ridicule and bullying are the preferred methods of social correction. Physical violence breaks out less, but there are many MORE ways to attack people via the internet, gossip, or whatever. There is no real leaders or rules to the bullying, rather just random little cliques or pockets of people who dole out their own form of social correction as to whatever whim they feel like on that particular day. Don't like someone's hair? Call them a fag and push them into a locker. If they don't fight back and your friends laugh and high-five you for harassing that loser, you'll get status in the group for doing that to another person, and you'll do it again.

Something like that.
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #271
My homepage has been set to RS
 
drunkrussian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,308
Thanked 824 Times in 340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason00S2000 View Post
There are so many fucking loser geeks out on the internet these days, I wish I could beat so many people up. YouTube comments are the worst.
i actualy never heard the term before/had to urbandicitonary it lol...just found the term itself funny...

but i definitely agree with you,youtube comments are terrible...worldstar comments are up there as well tho...or jsut the idea of what worldstar is/has become perhaps...4chan is just scary and creepy as fuck, i've never been and would never go

in our generation, picking up a phone is for emergencies, and for teenagers, txting is as personal as it gets, followed by facebook. Even email is unheard of nowdays. But i'm not going to go on about how this cultural shift contributed to the suicide, because there are a million things that contributed and there's enough of that here...
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #272
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,378
Thanked 435 Times in 189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
...4chan is just scary and creepy as fuck, i've never been and would never go

4Chan is, essentially, the place on the internet for outcasts.
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #273
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!
 
SpartanAir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,820
Thanked 4,518 Times in 691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason00S2000 View Post
There are so many fucking loser geeks out on the internet these days, I wish I could beat so many people up. YouTube comments are the worst.
Wow. You sound like a bully to me.
__________________
1999 Nissan Stagea RSfourS, White
1994 Honda CB1000, Black
Previous Rides:
1992 Nissan President Sovereign, Black
1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black
1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black
1986 Porsche 944, Black
SpartanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #274
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,378
Thanked 435 Times in 189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanAir View Post
Wow. You sound like a bully to me.
I'm like Riddick VS the Necromongers, sometimes you have to fight evil with a different kind of evil
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:33 AM   #275
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
will068's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: van
Posts: 3,407
Thanked 491 Times in 212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
^which I do not agree with. I am a believer in free speech, which sadly we do not have in Canada. You can hate the guy, and you want him to be fired, but unless its proven in a court of law that its hate speech(dubious definitions itself)then I don't think he should be fired for it.

He wasn't on company time or a company computer.
Posted via RS Mobile
His company got a complaint about the employee. It's bad press that the employee's behaviour can somehow be linked to the employer. That's damage to the employer. Therefore, that could be used as grounds for termination.

Yes it's free speech. He won't go to jail for it. But he better be prepared for the consequences for his actions.
__________________
RS Buy&Sell Rating
will068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net