REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #226
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
its the same guy, he even admitted he knew amanda.. got a friend who met this kody guy before and supposedly he was a "hacker" so i can see some connection, (i am being a rs conspiracy theorist, innocent until proven guilty) but if that guy is the perpetrator to this, hes gonna be a fucking beating in jail, hes gonna be someones bitch for sure

some evidence that anon has that somewhat links em together
Advertisement
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #227
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
The news claims the RCMP who is investigating this case has come out and said this person is not the one who posted the boobie picture from when she was in grade 7.

Supposedly, that guy is getting cyberbullied since his name has been mentioned by Anomymous and the police is asking people to let them do the investigation and not to take things into their own hands.

That being said, supposedly someone who posted a troll post on FB was fired from his job because an email was sent to his employer by some mom who didn't like the post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #228
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
^which I do not agree with. I am a believer in free speech, which sadly we do not have in Canada. You can hate the guy, and you want him to be fired, but unless its proven in a court of law that its hate speech(dubious definitions itself)then I don't think he should be fired for it.

He wasn't on company time or a company computer.
Posted via RS Mobile
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-16-2012, 07:32 PM   #229
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Irony is completely lost on this mob.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2012, 09:03 PM   #230
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
^which I do not agree with. I am a believer in free speech, which sadly we do not have in Canada. You can hate the guy, and you want him to be fired, but unless its proven in a court of law that its hate speech(dubious definitions itself)then I don't think he should be fired for it.

Posted via RS Mobile
Then we can all openly insult whoever we please, even dead people who cannot defend themselves, and not receive any repercussion? If he said something terrible enough to get fired then he used his free speech in a poor manner. Let us not forget that free speech does grant us the privileged to say whatever we want, but that does not mean we should say whatever we want in public. This is how this crap all started, people using their free speech on the internet to kick dirt in someones face. This isn't right and the people doing it should feel the consequences personally. Whatever offensive shit this guy said it probably put him and whoever is associated with him a bad name. I know I wouldn't want to work with someone who is so completely ignorant that they think they can offend something so sensitive and get away with it. Hell I've shunned former co-workers for being racists and I think we all should.

Use that free speech power with great care. I have a feeling if they pass a cyber bullying bill you can be held accountable for ANYTHING offensive you post or say on the internet. Who knows what kind of privileges of free speech that could take away from us.
Everymans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #231
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:

Posted via RS Mobile
You don't need to prove it in a court of law, free speech is a charter right which basically protects you from the government but not private companies.
There are employment standards and company policies that the fired employee might be able to use to his benefit but charter rights most likely don't apply.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #232
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
If you chose to work for a company, you need to reflect their company values and standards. Everyone applauded the company that fired the girl who while intoxicated, hit and killed a pedestrian in Surrey a few years back. Everyone applauded the company who fired the kid who took part in the Canucks riots 2 summers ago. They were based on the same issue. Their characters did not reflect well on the company and the companies did not want that image to be tarnished with that type of character.

Like it or not, even if you own your business, what you say and do outside of work, ends up being a reflection one way or another on the company you own/work for. Not to mention if it's on social media like Facebook, if you're saying things that are extrinsically offensive and in bad taste towards the general public, AND you have your employment history right above your posts on your Facebook profile, that image ties in together fairly easily.

At the end of the day, you're free to say whatever you like, legally. The consequences in the real world are simply something you'll have to deal with if you chose to be so extrinsically offensive.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #233
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:

Posted via RS Mobile
and therefore the company, which is either owned by public shareholders or a person who makes the decisions, has a right to freely fire someone for stating things that go against their code of conduct, as signed by the employee

bad pr affects business. Siding with the majority on a negative issue retains business
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #234
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:

Posted via RS Mobile
I find it ironically amusing that here "we" are, and by we I mean you, are promoting anti-bullying and calling other people heartless for not caring as much and advocating people to be "aware" and be active in the fight against bullying...

So when someone actually does do this..."A mother and anti-bullying activist in Calgary saw the comment and traced it back to the man's Facebook page, which listed his occupation. She then emailed the company, prompting the individual’s dismissal.

Read more: Employee fired over offensive comment about dead B.C. teen | CTV News

"A mother and anti-bullying activist in Calgary saw the comment and traced it back to the man's Facebook page, which listed his occupation. She then emailed the company, prompting the individual’s dismissal."

This lady straight out stood up against a bully and took action. Now we don't want consequences for bullying? Let's make up our minds on what we want to do. It's SUCH a waste of time and energy sitting here arguing with people who are so openly and strongly advocating anti-bullying and yet their own words and actions speak on the contrary.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #235
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
^ nailed him
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2012, 09:49 AM   #236
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:

Posted via RS Mobile
woah... doesnt matter if he was on or wasnt on company's time or computer.. if it effects the image of the company in a negative way, it does matter to the company.

I mean, its the obvious choice, either suck up and protect the employee and watch your sales go down to zero or fire him and hope sales wont be effected...
Old 10-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #237
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
Quote:

Posted via RS Mobile
I Agree, I think it's absolutely wrong to fire this guy for something he did outside of work.

Giving a company the power to terminate an employee because it may "affect the company's image" is a pretty broad stroke of power.

Say an employee likes participating in the gay pride parade in their spare time, but the company thinks that "reflects poorly". Is it OK to fire the employee then?

Or another employee likes participating in Pro-Abortion rallies. Does their company have the right to fire them because they may think it "reflects poorly" on them?
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions

Last edited by Great68; 10-17-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #238

We Were Bullied

Some people are submitting their stories of being bullied.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 10-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #239
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
I Agree, I think it's absolutely wrong to fire this guy for something he did outside of work.

Giving a company the power to terminate an employee because it may "affect the company's image" is a pretty broad stroke of power.

Say an employee likes participating in the gay pride parade in their spare time, but the company thinks that "reflects poorly". Is it OK to fire the employee then?

Or another employee likes participating in Pro-Abortion rallies. Does their company have the right to fire them because they may think it "reflects poorly" on them?
The Gay Pride parade is a worldly thing, this doesnt count as negative image for a company..
Saying shit like what that guy said is just a shameful thing on his part, even tho the girl did start it...

so let me ask you if you think this is ok.. A guy is off work, walks around the street in front his work place and go nude, then proceeds saying that he works at this company.. Hes technically off work, so does that mean his company cant fire him?
Old 10-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #240
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
A guy is off work, walks around the street in front his work place and go nude, then proceeds saying that he works at this company.. Hes technically off work, so does that mean his company cant fire him?
In my opinion, Yes.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #241

Quote:
In my opinion, Yes.
Misconduct During Non-Working Hours By Employees — Grounds for Dismissal?

Quote:
The bottom line is that an employee’s conduct in non-working hours must damage the employee’s ability to perform their job or undermine their credibility in the workplace to such an extent that it is not reasonable for them to continue.
In my opinion, I don't think it was wrong for the guy to be fired for what he posted on FB.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 10-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #242
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:

There is no company that can be against homosexuality because that's illegal, so no, it wouldn't be okay to fire someone for participating in the gay pride parade.

But yes, I think there could be appropriate grounds for dismissal for someone participating in a pro-abortion rally if their company is anti-abortion.

Apparently you can even be fired for something as simple as drinking a Pepsi when you work for Coke.

The cola wars get personal - Jun. 16, 2003
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #243
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
I understand the perspectives of Gridlock and Great68, but let's be real:

In today's economy and social environment, once you agree to work for any organization and they pay you a salary for your services, they own you.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #244
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
The Gay Pride parade is a worldly thing, this doesnt count as negative image for a company..
Saying shit like what that guy said is just a shameful thing on his part, even tho the girl did start it...

so let me ask you if you think this is ok.. A guy is off work, walks around the street in front his work place and go nude, then proceeds saying that he works at this company.. Hes technically off work, so does that mean his company cant fire him?
In your example, he is now disparaging his company through his actions, and associating those actions with himself and his place of work. His actions are bringing a negative impact to his employer-on company time, or off.

Let's change it up to something more reasonable...he's on some random street corner, naked, and his name becomes known. Someone then needs to go online, look him up and find out where he works in order to bring it to the attention of his employers.

I would say he should not be fired.

My concern here is the slippery slope that it presents.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #245
Banned By Establishment

PLUS-I wanted to add, if a company wants to play this game, then the time to tell me is upon hiring me. I can make the call of whether I want to, or am desperate enough to work for you that my lifestyle, thoughts and opinions need to line up with that of the organization that apparently^^owns my soul in perpetuity.

This type of bullshit is exactly why I quit working for others. And if a client wants to fire me because I said "fuck you motherfuckers" on revscene-have at it
Old 10-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #246

Quote:
Let's change it up to something more reasonable...he's on some random street corner, naked, and his name becomes known. Someone then needs to go online, look him up and find out where he works in order to bring it to the attention of his employers.

I would say he should not be fired.

My concern here is the slippery slope that it presents.
Well, is it illegal to be standing on a street corner naked?
If the answer is yes, then precedent has shown they will be fired.

While not naked, she was on her own personal time enjoying the riots while trying to save a tree.

If the answer is no, then it depends on what the person is doing.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 10-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #247
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
once you agree to work for any organization and they pay you a salary for your services, they own you.
Posted via RS Mobile
The #1 reason why I couldn't write the book I wrote with a regular job without worrying about being fired, too true
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #248
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason00S2000 View Post
The #1 reason why I couldn't write the book I wrote with a regular job without worrying about being fired, too true
I admire people who take chances and go into business for themselves. If your shit doesn't sell (your opinions, your take on life, your skills, your experience, etc.), then you have nothing else to fall back on. And if you what you attempt to sell and subsequently fail to sell is controversial, your chances of getting hired to do anything beyond menial work are minimal also.

There is a price to be paid for everything, including "freedom."
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #249
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
I admire people who take chances and go into business for themselves. If your shit doesn't sell (your opinions, your take on life, your skills, your experience, etc.), then you have nothing else to fall back on. And if you what you attempt to sell and subsequently fail to sell is controversial, your chances of getting hired to do anything beyond menial work are minimal also.
Posted via RS Mobile

I sell porn on the internet and support myself while I pursue art, writing being one form of it
Old 10-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #250
Banned By Establishment

Back on topic, I think her parents should have just pulled her out of school entirely and, perhaps, focused on helping her regain her self-esteem.

I dropped out after going to 11 different schools, and I found some hope in hanging out with people older than me. Life was much better after I was free from my peers.

Amanda would probably still be here today if she had been guided towards some hobby or job that she could have found pride in, IMO.
This post thanked by: