REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #226
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
Just to be clear, this is not a "shit on dead peoples' lives" thread. Discuss the incident, not the decedents.
Agreed. This thread was made to discuss this issue with fellow members and community. I'm not pointing out fingers but I'm pretty sure this thread wasn't made to figure out who the guy is and what he has done to end up like this. A dead person should receive some respect. Even if he deserved it or not, I wouldn't care because I can bet 100% the people around him feels even worse than I do for him at the moment. So RIP and some respect is in order.

My 2 cents.
Advertisement
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #227
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
=/

drive safe everyone.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #228
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imp_squared View Post
Just gonna wait for more info/data to come up.
The only thing the cops are saying is "speed is a factor".

Let the experts deal with the "what happened that night and how it happened"

I'm just guessing here.. but hydroplaning?
Are there large water puddles on LGB?
The last time I recall being on LGB when it was raining, (long time ago btw) the bridge deck drained water well and no puddles.
"FYI: You can hydroplane without a puddle (just with rain), but you are far more likely to hydroplane over standing water."

"If you’re caught speeding up to 20 km/h over the limit in your community or on a highway, the fine is $138. If you’re caught doing more than 60 km/h, the fine is $483."

all I know for sure I would've been on the right lane and let you pass me.

so many "what-ifs" in driving.
-if there was a speed check on the bridge everyone would slow the f-down.
-what if something happened.. hydroplane and lost control, etc...

I like being 10kp/h or under the posted speed limit. Plus I don't like paying fines.
i'm pretty sure over 40km/h over you get an arse fucking and your car taken away (which i still don't know how they can do, legally, innocent until proven guilty and all, and it's not like you're impaired) - on a 60 bridge, 95 is 35 over, so it wouldn't have been a big deal (i believe <$200 ticket - i've been caught and ticketed for 96 on a 60 bridge (granville) - again this was at 8 am on a weekday and i was going with the flow of traffic, and i got a $13x ticket, they could have given me a slightly higher one, but not hugely more - i won't be found guilty so really, it's a $0 ticket and a waste of an hour of my time - which, honestly is getting to become worth more than $13x, but still...)

and if you were driving at 70km/h tonight or this morning, you would have been holding up traffic - remember there are only two puny lanes on that stupid bridge, this morning i had a big merc SUV up my backside - there's always someone wanting to go faster (and yes, as soon as i could get over i did, even at 80 or 90, whatever i was doing at that exact time)

if you're not comfortable in being able to slow down sufficiently at 80 when EVERYONE ELSE IS GOING 80, you're either way too close to the person in front or you're not paying close enough attention to the road

learn to drive people, put your coffees, phones, food, etc. down, two hands on the wheel at 9 and 3, 100% concentration on the road, and get going!
i'd also suggest you all drive manuals - actually makes you learn to drive, rather than just bumper cars we get in vancouver (i mean that figuratively and literally)
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #229
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
i'm pretty sure over 40km/h over you get an arse fucking and your car taken away (which i still don't know how they can do, legally, innocent until proven guilty and all, and it's not like you're impaired) - on a 60 bridge, 95 is 35 over, so it wouldn't have been a big deal (i believe <$200 ticket - i've been caught and ticketed for 96 on a 60 bridge (granville) - again this was at 8 am on a weekday and i was going with the flow of traffic, and i got a $13x ticket, they could have given me a slightly higher one, but not hugely more - i won't be found guilty so really, it's a $0 ticket and a waste of an hour of my time - which, honestly is getting to become worth more than $13x, but still...)

and if you were driving at 70km/h tonight or this morning, you would have been holding up traffic - remember there are only two puny lanes on that stupid bridge, this morning i had a big merc SUV up my backside - there's always someone wanting to go faster (and yes, as soon as i could get over i did, even at 80 or 90, whatever i was doing at that exact time)

if you're not comfortable in being able to slow down sufficiently at 80 when EVERYONE ELSE IS GOING 80, you're either way too close to the person in front or you're not paying close enough attention to the road

learn to drive people, put your coffees, phones, food, etc. down, two hands on the wheel at 9 and 3, 100% concentration on the road, and get going!
i'd also suggest you all drive manuals - actually makes you learn to drive, rather than just bumper cars we get in vancouver (i mean that figuratively and literally)
haha.. yeah man.. understood... freaking weekend traffic is the same as weekday traffic these days.. no difference between the two. where as years - years - years ago weekend traffic would be less than weekday traffic.

anyway partly off topic?
I believe it was loosing control at high speed and probably hydroplaning, gonna wait to found out what they say about the accident, see what they find out.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #230
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 3,712 Times in 467 Posts
Mayor calls for overnight closure of Lions Gate middle lane - British Columbia - CBC News
Old 12-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #231
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
^ I actually really dont mind that. As long as they dont close it before 10 then who really cares? There is going to be traffic at those time but not most likely not enough to cause backups. I feel safer in the outermost lanes anyways.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #232
I don't get it

Don't know these 2 guys, but they keep being mentioned on FB and IRL... RIP anyhow.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #233
Driving around in circles

Thanked 1,370 Times in 272 Posts
From my late night drives. They have been closing the middle lane for the longest time.

I think riding a scooter on the Oak street bridge is more scary then riding it on the Lions Gate Bridge. Lions gate bridge is already pretty wide compare to Pattullo bridge and Oak street bridge.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #234
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Kodamu View Post
From my late night drives. They have been closing the middle lane for the longest time.

I think riding a scooter on the Oak street bridge is more scary then riding it on the Lions Gate Bridge. Lions gate bridge is already pretty wide compare to Pattullo bridge and Oak street bridge.
"Late at night to early morning hours" could mean from 10pm to 6 am. It will decrease the efficiency of the crossing tremendously. Imagine being stuck behind some bozo doing the speed limit or less through the entire section of the bridge. Unintended consequences would be passing unsafely in the closed middle lane.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #235
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
"Late at night to early morning hours" could mean from 10pm to 6 am. It will decrease the efficiency of the crossing tremendously. Imagine being stuck behind some bozo doing the speed limit or less through the entire section of the bridge. Unintended consequences would be passing unsafely in the closed middle lane.
Really? Really?

Oh noes! People might get to their West Van houses a full minute later than they otherwise would have! Oh the humanity!

This post thanked by:
Old 12-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #236
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
It works well on the Patullo. Only had one impatient asshole cross into the center at night to get home faster on me so far.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #237
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Imagine being stuck behind some bozo doing the speed limit or less through the entire section of the bridge. Unintended consequences would be passing unsafely in the closed middle lane.
I'll requote my response to your original post

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
speed limit is what it implies...A LIMIT...especially if the weather conditions are poor then yes I'll drive at a speed that I feel I can have good control of the car. Traffic is a part of life and if it means everyone getting to their destination in one piece...too bad you should've left for work 5 minutes earlier if you knew the weather sucks/gonna be travelling on a one lane street.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #238
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

puh-lease.....the entire length of the lion's gate bridge takes, what 5 min or so to complete with traffic flowing freely, esp at that time of night?

would be interested to see someone time the actual crossing at speed limit late, late at night, to even verify such speculation...hell probably is even less than 5 min when you think about it under those free flowing conditions...probably takes a mere like 3-5 minutes....wow, big deal...such an excruciatingly long time, eh? NOT!

Quote:

Last edited by canali; 12-02-2012 at 08:56 PM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Really? Really?

Oh noes! People might get to their West Van houses a full minute later than they otherwise would have! Oh the humanity!

It's not just the bridge, it's the entire causeway section through Stanley Park also. There is a huge amount of frustration being caught behind a slow driver on LGB,
Old 12-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by canali View Post
puh-lease.....the entire length of the lion's gate bridge takes, what 5 min or so to complete with traffic flowing freely, esp at that time of night?

would be interested to see someone time the actual crossing at speed limit late, late at night, to even verify such speculation...hell probably is even less than 5 min when you think about it under those free flowing conditions...probably takes a mere like 3-5 minutes....wow, big deal...such an excruciatingly long time, eh? NOT!
You have moron drivers that think it is better to drive 10 km/h less than the speed limit. We had some of them pipe in here. You ASSUME that traffic will move at the speed limit. Traffic will move at the speed of the SLOWEST vehicle on that entire 5 km stretch. Ridiculous.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #241

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
I'll requote my response to your original post
Quote:
speed limit is what it implies...A LIMIT...Traffic is a part of life and if it means everyone getting to their destination in one piece...too bad you should've left for work 5 minutes earlier if you knew the weather sucks/gonna be travelling on a one lane street.
What world do you live in? Out in the real world, speed limits are ROUTINELY IGNORED. Traffic often moves 20-30 km/h above the speed limit on many roads, including on LGB. If self-righteous idiots want to drive the speed limit, or lower, fine. Stay in the SLOW lane and let others pass. It won't affect anyone else's commute. If the middle lane is closed, we will all be forced to drive at the speed of the slowest vehicle. That is my point.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #242
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
What world do you live in? Out in the real world, speed limits are ROUTINELY IGNORED. Traffic often moves 20-30 km/h above the speed limit on many roads, including on LGB. If self-righteous idiots want to drive the speed limit, or lower, fine. Stay in the SLOW lane and let others pass. It won't affect anyone else's commute. If the middle lane is closed, we will all be forced to drive at the speed of the slowest vehicle. That is my point.
just because it's routinely ignored doesn't mean it's right, or legal.... :|

I think if there's one thing the society is lacking right now, it's patience.

I don't always drive at the speed limit myself though, and it kinda is dangerous. especially in richmond
Old 12-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #243
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
You have moron drivers that think it is better to drive 10 km/h less than the speed limit. We had some of them pipe in here. You ASSUME that traffic will move at the speed limit. Traffic will move at the speed of the SLOWEST vehicle on that entire 5 km stretch. Ridiculous.
honestly, it's 4kms from Georgia St to the loop at Marine Dr.

at 50km/h, it's 4.8mins.

at 75km/h, it's 3.2 mins.

I hate being stuck behind a slow driver just as much as the next guy... but sometimes, you have to just realize that you're only losing 1 1/2 minutes. Not worth losing sleep over.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #244
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,355 Times in 1,044 Posts
Quote:
some taxi drivers already do that both in the causeway and on the bridge.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #245

It is WASTEFUL to have a lane that is available but closed at night because the mayor happens to think that drivers are not competent enough to handle a middle lane. That does not make any sense. This accident was preventable, it was avoidable, and the root cause lies with the driver and the driver alone. He made an error, and now the rest of us have to deal with another typical fucked up Vancouver solution to traffic management.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #246
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Quote:
What if the middle lane is closed in the direction you are travelling? You gotta realize theres only 1 lane open, and its available to go both ways in traffic. In the end you'll still be stuck behind someone even if the middle lane is open but not in your direction.

And i dont think anything i've said above deserve a fail. They are all mere opinions, if you want to go speed down the middle lane then go for it, dont fuckin fail me for what i think would be suitable.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
honestly, it's 4kms from Georgia St to the loop at Marine Dr.

at 50km/h, it's 4.8mins.

at 75km/h, it's 3.2 mins.

I hate being stuck behind a slow driver just as much as the next guy... but sometimes, you have to just realize that you're only losing 1 1/2 minutes. Not worth losing sleep over.
Interesting math. A typical speed on LGB under very light traffic conditions with both lanes open is about 90-100 km/h.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #248
UFO

Knee jerk reaction to an isolated incident.

RIP to those involved, but get some long standing data to back up your motions. The late night closure works well for the Patullo bridge because it is 4 lanes squeezed into probably the same width as Lions Gate's 3 lanes. The Patullo had ongoing safety issues with the onramps, offramps, and the bridge deck itself. The Lion's Gate for all intents and purposes is safe and fine as it is.

Closing the middle lane because it tempts people to speed down it when there is no traffic? Can that even happen with all the left lane hoggers around nowadays? If you want to solve the problem set up a speed trap at the end of the bridge and make some money off of these speeders, like the Surrey end of the Patullo where its painstakingly hard to be driving at 50km/h.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #249
UFO

Quote:
Interesting math. A typical speed on LGB under very light traffic conditions with both lanes open is about 90-100 km/h.
Perfect for setting up speed traps and ticket + tow for excessive speed
Old 12-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post
What if the middle lane is closed in the direction you are travelling? You gotta realize theres only 1 lane open, and its available to go both ways in traffic. In the end you'll still be stuck behind someone even if the middle lane is open but not in your direction.

And i dont think anything i've said above deserve a fail. They are all mere opinions, if you want to go speed down the middle lane then go for it, dont fuckin fail me for what i think would be suitable.
No, you make a reasonable point. It is much easier to accept because you are dealing with the constraints of the infrastructure. At some point, you know it will be in your favour when there will be 2 lanes both directions.

I still see many drivers tailgate the shit out of people driving the speed limit on the causeway.