REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #176
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
name calling - mature

and you have just proven my point - given that there are no intersections on the bridge, and with everyone going at approx 80km/h, you're just hunky dory - if you're on a road with pedestrians, intersections, etc. you would need to stop quickly (hence a lower speed limit), on a completely straight road with no possibility of interaction with anything other than the traffic in front of you would warrant a higher speed limit
I am pretty sure they put a 50km/h speed limit on the lions gate bridge for many reasons.

To name a couple:
-3 lanes with a centre lane that swaps directions, pretty sure going 80km/h with the centre lane changing directions wouldn't be safe.
so with everyone on the far right lane going at 80km/h and you wanted to change lanes. hmmmm you would have to either slow down or increase your speed to pass and change lanes. I don't know about you I feel more safer changing lanes at 50km/h on that bridge with the narrow lanes.

-the south mouth of the bridge has a curved slight turn, so upcoming bridge road in front of you here would be coming at you blind. With the amount of reaction and brake time it needs to stop a car. If something was to suddenly happen on the bridge, going 80km/h won't give you enough time to stop.

But by all means 4444 drive 80km/h on the bridge!! Please make sure there are no cars or buses on the bridge when you do so.

Personally I don't want to loose control at 80km/h on that bridge.
Advertisement
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #177
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,823 Times in 2,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin_115 View Post
T bought a new car. Who the fuk would not wanna rip it on a new car?
THAT'S your first post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by One&OnlypOst View Post
I've read through this thread and have two things to say...

1. RIP and condolences

2. Everybody who has been replying these two got what they deserved for speeding are complete idiots. Especially you, Phil@Rise. You're a fu@#ing moron and I hope you lose a lot of business. The passenger was just that, a passenger. They were solely a victim of the driver's error in judgement, re-read what you wrote and think about it a$$hole.

Just a thought, Phil@Rise and the rest of you, try thinking before you post sh*t like that you stupid fu@#s.
created a new account for this eh...

on a serious note i heard about this on the radio today as i was driving home with my newborn from the hospital. it said 2 guys died and several with injuries. hope their injuries are minor and make out ok.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #178
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
that dumb... speeding is speeding.. just because its a straight road doesnt mean you need to speed... thats call being careless

There are ONCOMING traffic to account for... you need to beable to react if someone else is a bad driver.... 2 cars speeding on the bridge, one losses control... both are in trouble because the time needed to slowed and react...
In the heat of the moment, most normal drivers do not react fast enough..
You have to account for oncoming traffic on a straight line? They may lose control - straight line!!! How stupid does that sound, chances are if someone crosses centre line, at 50 or 80, ur probably fucked
Old 11-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #179
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp_squared View Post
I am pretty sure they put a 50km/h speed limit on the lions gate bridge for many reasons.

To name a couple:
-3 lanes with a centre lane that swaps directions, pretty sure going 80km/h with the centre lane changing directions wouldn't be safe.
so with everyone on the far right lane going at 80km/h and you wanted to change lanes. hmmmm you would have to either slow down or increase your speed to pass and change lanes. I don't know about you I feel more safer changing lanes at 50km/h on that bridge with the narrow lanes.

-the south mouth of the bridge has a curved slight turn, so upcoming bridge road in front of you here would be coming at you blind. With the amount of reaction and brake time it needs to stop a car. If something was to suddenly happen on the bridge, going 80km/h won't give you enough time to stop.

But by all means 4444 drive 80km/h on the bridge!! Please make sure there are no cars or buses on the bridge when you do so.

For the last time, the speed limit on LGB is 70 km/h not 50 km/h. Most people drive LGB at 80-90 km/h and they do so very safely. Millions of driver miles are travelled on this bridge at higher than the posted speed limit with nary an incident.

If you insist on driving LGB at 50 km/h, you are a hazard to everyone because you are the one that is the odd person out and creating a speed differential with the rest of traffic flow. Let's be clear, this speed differential that you have caused is far more dangerous than traffic moving along at a steady 80-90.

If you don't feel safe driving over 50 km/h on LGB, please just stay off our bridge.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #180

Quote:

To name a couple:

Isn't the speed limit 60?

As for curved exits, that's not what I'm talking about, makes sense to slow it down

Also centre lane changing direction causing problems? How, it's not like they change every hr, and they close the centre lane for both directions for a while to ensure no chance for confusion

I just can't believe how simple some of u are on here
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
For the last time, the speed limit on LGB is 70 km/h not 50 km/h. Most people drive LGB at 80-90 km/h and they do so very safely. Millions of driver miles are travelled on this bridge at higher than the posted speed limit with nary an incident.

If you insist on driving LGB at 50 km/h, you are a hazard to everyone because you are the one that is the odd person out and creating a speed differential with the rest of traffic flow. Let's be clear, this speed differential that you have caused is far more dangerous than traffic moving along at a steady 80-90.

If you don't feel safe driving over 50 km/h on LGB, please just stay off our bridge.
Quoted for truth and appreciation for some intelligence in this thread
Old 11-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
Improvements are great, but we should have better, if we truly are a world class city

And traffic flow may be better, but sitting on Georgia or by park royal for 30-40 mins waiting for traffic to crawl along isn't good enough when it's because of a split 3 lane bridge, especially for the number of north shore residents

I'm not sure why I'm the only one who wants better for this shit whole of a city, maybe it's the English in me - mind you, watch what that did to my country, we fucked that one up real good
Speaking as a long time North Shore resident, I can say that many of us feel that the bridge is a gateway that keeps the North Shore exclusive. Most North Shore residents love the cozy feel of our mountainside suburbia while living so close to downtown. We do not want the urban sprawl that will come with improved access to the North Shore.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #183
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
Interesting...

City of Richmond BC - RCMP News Releases

If the article referenced Jowin Lau is the same person. And he is a drug trafficker... Well
Posted via RS Mobile
wut u doing trying to dig up dirt on the deceased at 4 in the morning....
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #184

Quote:
you are an idiot!! It is not how fast you can go on the road. It is the amount of time and distance needed to stop your car going at 80km/h!!

Stopping distances for cars - Road Safety Authority Rules of the Road
OMG! Ride a bicycle if you can't handle driving at the speed of traffic flow, which if you haven't noticed, pretty much ignores the speed limit.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #185
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow View Post
Don't think he was digging up dirt, probably just curious who the deceased was
Old 11-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #186
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

the speed limit for the lion's gate is NOT 70...it used to be 60 but i believe has been now reduced to 50...saw it on a news story
the other day showing a cop recording speeds on the lions gate vs what was posted (50 kph)

the lion's gate bridge, afterall, is not a highway like the 2nd narrows bridge, which does run along an actual highway and post higher speed limits.

furthermore, if i'm correct, the 2nd narrows used to have a posted speed limit of 80, but was also reduced recently to 70 just north of the hastings overpass to the upper cut...(reduced no doubt to the amt of yahoos who drive like shit)

to suggest that people can drive safely at 80 kph on lion's gate bridge, which can be so stop and go, with many bottleneck points, is nuts.

if anything you're the hazardous ''speed differential'' on the lgb by being up someone's ass doing 80, not those dudes doing 50-60.

Quote:

Last edited by canali; 11-30-2012 at 08:17 PM.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #187

Quote:
Speaking as a long time North Shore resident, I can say that many of us feel that the bridge is a gateway that keeps the North Shore exclusive. Most North Shore residents love the cozy feel of our mountainside suburbia while living so close to downtown. We do not want the urban sprawl that will come with improved access to the North Shore.
sounds like tsawwassen! residents don't want any newcomers!
Old 11-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #188
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
speed limit is 60

its 50 when you're off the bridge into nv
Old 11-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #189
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Why is this thread full of immature people that can't understand that T made a mistake .
1st of all , He was a great guy and according to my sister he saved my A$$ at an arcade
2nd of all , He just bought the car and it could've easily had bald tires causing him to hydroplane on wet conditions .
3rd and MOST IMPORTANTLY : This was 1 mistake , 20 seconds of his 20 year life. You shouldn't judge him when you DON'T KNOW HIM !
Old 11-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #190
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

^ why do great guys get convicted of hustling drugs? or was that the passenger

In before "Don't hate the player, hate the game"
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #191
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoodbar View Post
Lions gate bridge has the most fucking stupid concept of a design I've ever seen. I'm not surprised that an accident of this magnitude happened; the two men drew the short stick and got fucked. No dividers? really? Two lanes with a shared middle lane? that's just fucking stupid. With the growing number of people in the city, the bridge is way over capacity at peak hours.
The LGB was a privately built bridge funded by the Guiness family (yes, the family that makes the beer) at the persuasion of a man called Alfred Taylor in the early 1930s to connect Vancouver to West Vancouver. It was meant to be a two lane tolled bridge but due to the population boom, the lanes were adjusted to three. In 1963, the tolls were removed and the provincial government purchased it from the family for the same price they built it for.

http://www.insidevancouver.ca/2012/0...s-gate-bridge/

So it wasn't exactly conceived of and built by the government. Bridges are expensive to build and today probably require lengthy public consultation to even happen. Besides, how many people actually die/crash on that bridge?

edit: Found my answer. According to ICBC (2006), LGB is a high crash location. However, that goes for many of the other bridges as well: Knight St, Alex Fraser, and the Patullo - two of which have dividers and one does not. Also, many highway locations appeared on that list. It just suggests to me that these high traffic locations/arteries mean that people need to pay more attention and drive more carefully. http://www.myseniorsite.ca/driving-crashloc.htm

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

Last edited by bing; 12-01-2012 at 11:55 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #192
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
I have no idea about this guy's background. Or the passenger's background. Or anything else for that matter. And to be perfectly honest, I really don't care.

Two people died that night. Many more were injured. And while we regret the passing of those who are now lost to us, this does not change the manner in which they died. We do not know the details of the accident yet. It may be that he swerved because of something that fell off another car. It may be that he was "taking his new car for a rip" and lost control. It may be something else.

But they are dead.

Defending their lives will not change that they are dead. Other people are injured, and they are dead. Their parents are mourning and they are dead.

Getting angry at the people who say things you don't like will not bring them back from the dead. It will also not stop others from dying. If you feel upset and angry and depressed because your friends are dead, don't get angry at the people who are saying things you don't want to hear. Get angry at the people who put others in your family at risk.

Just the other day, I was driving with my mom on a small side street. Two-way, with parking. I was driving at just under 50, and each block has stop signs at the beginning and end. Some fucking retarded yahoo whose plate I couldn't make out quickly enough (with an N!) decided to pass me on the left, across a solid yellow line (luckily not into incoming traffic) going at least 80 clicks.

When I was that age, and if my buddy were driving like that in his brand new BMW, I would've said "Dude, that was fucking awesome!". And now, if I heard someone telling that story that I knew, I would have to work very hard not to slug him across the face. Because my mother's reactions are slow. Because my mother would not guess that someone would be going half again the speed limit in the oncoming lane. Because my mother has osteoporosis and would be at a greater risk for a fatal injury from a sudden head-on impact with that kind of speed differential.

Because I love my mother more than I love others' adrenaline rushes.

If you are sad, I sympathize. If you knew the victim, I offer condolences. If you are angry, good.

Go out there and do something to help solve the problem.
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #193
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
If you feel upset and angry and depressed because your friends are dead, don't get angry at the people who are saying things you don't want to hear.
What? So other people can post their angry comments but not the people who actually have a personal connection to the topic, where's the logic in that?

You said yourself that we don't know the cause of the accident, there isn't even any proof that they were speeding. So if the cause is unknown and people are calling their friends 'idiots' then I would say they have a right to be angry and post about it.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:55 PM   #194
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlines_Daily View Post
What? So other people can post their angry comments but not the people who actually have a personal connection to the topic, where's the logic in that?

You said yourself that we don't know the cause of the accident, there isn't even any proof that they were speeding. So if the cause is unknown and people are calling their friends 'idiots' then I would say they have a right to be angry and post about it.
That was not at all what I meant. I definitely did not mean that those who knew the deceased should not comment. But I did mean that this is not a thread about their lives--it is about the incident which caused their deaths.

This is neither the appropriate place to deify them, nor demonize them. They were in the car. The car crashed. They died.

Whether not not they were doing anything dangerous; whether or not they were good people, nothing is changed. But that doesn't mean that nothing should change. The next time some guy brags about cutting someone off, the next time someone tells you that their tires are too badly worn, the next time you hear someone has just bought a new car, then think of how you felt today. Yesterday. When you heard the news.

The intent of my point was to try and burn away the disaffection many people have around them. Lo those ages ago, when I was a member at BCDSM, one of the members got himself killed in a single car accident. I feel incredibly shitty right now because I can't remember his name. He was a kid in highschool and he took a corner too fast and went straight off the road into a tree. I met his dad once. He bought the car from ICBC and towed it to car meets and events doing his best to remind people how wonderful his son was in life, and how one fucking stupid moment had killed him.

His son killed himself. Not by choice. Not because he was sad. Not because he wanted to die. But because he made one decision. And then his life was gone. Because all it takes is one moment. One instant. One action. And then 20 years of life isn't life anymore.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2012, 12:42 AM   #195
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Just saying: Dont click the spoiler if you're going to get offended and start failing my post.
"This is 1 click , 20 seconds of your 20 year life will be wasted. Don't judge me when you DONT KNOW ME!"
haah.
Spoiler!
Old 12-01-2012, 01:08 AM   #196
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:

lol I haven't been on LGB for the longest time. So I cannot remember the speed limit is on LGB is, but I always keep up with traffic, however I leave a lot of room in front of me. I like my reaction and braking time, thank you very much.

Quote:
OMG! Ride a bicycle if you can't handle driving at the speed of traffic flow, which if you haven't noticed, pretty much ignores the speed limit.
"I always keep up with traffic, however I leave a lot of room in front of me. I like my reaction and braking time, thank you very much."

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
Just saying: Dont click the spoiler if you're going to get offended and start failing my post.
"This is 1 click , 20 seconds of your 20 year life will be wasted. Don't judge me when you DONT KNOW ME!"
haah.
Spoiler!
I'm pretty sure the bus weight and speed factors into the accident. I wish I know enough physics to show you the math, but I don't.

So... bus weight, bus speed, car weight, car speed, angle of impact, friction on the road, etc... etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
^ why do great guys get convicted of hustling drugs? or was that the passenger

In before "Don't hate the player, hate the game"
He was the passenger.

Police identify man killed in fatal Lions Gate Bridge car-bus crash
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2012, 01:34 AM   #197
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow View Post
I don't know the guys so I googled their names. This was on the first page/hit on Google.

Got home at late from studying and surfed RS before bed.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-01-2012, 01:51 AM   #198
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
I don't know the guys so I googled their names. This was on the first page/hit on Google.

Got home at late from studying and surfed RS before bed.
Posted via RS Mobile
props to you for putting it out there that the guy was a dope dealer. maybe that will correct some misplaced sympathies. good riddance.

points were given for this post

Last edited by Graeme S; 12-01-2012 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Should be fairly clear.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-01-2012, 01:59 AM   #199
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
I don't even wan start another arguement about dope dealing.... But come on, don't judge a man from his past, I admit I aint a dam saint but I turned my life around and am now a full time student, I am hearing nothing but positive things about these guys on my fb feed and some are truly devestated, it was uncessary to put that link up anyways, such a pointless thing to do, if u guys wan prove to everyone ur a saint, go give us the link to ur cso/gov files before u go judge others
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2012, 02:05 AM   #200
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
It did NOT pancake like that Mazda 6. How fast were these idiots going?
getting T-boned cannot be compared to head-on collisions...especially if there's a bus/semi involved
Closed Thread