REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:38 PM   #751
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
I don't believe in "the lesser evil" when it comes to politics, all parties want changes that I don't believe in, I won't bend for something I don't support if I have the choice.

The notion of "no vote no voice" is a weak attempt at making me pity fuck someone just because they aren't as trash as the next tool to line up and lie to me.
Not voting achieves absolutely nothing. So you are not making yourself seem intelligent by going with that strategy.

You are just going with the "It sucks either way, so I will let someone else choose who I bend over and take it up the ass from".

Spoiler!
Advertisement

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:56 PM   #752
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Not voting achieves absolutely nothing. So you are not making yourself seem intelligent by going with that strategy.

You are just going with the "It sucks either way, so I will let someone else choose who I bend over and take it up the ass from".

Spoiler!
What happens afterwards is irrelevant in terms of morals (to me), at least I know I didn't vote for something I did not agree with in the first place. You can either submit before or after the election depending on whether you vote or not, I choose not to participate in the rat race. If I don't vote, at least I know that I did not make the decision to support whatever it is I'm against.

Of course it would make more sense if I told you that I didn't support how our government is structured in the first place.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:31 PM   #753

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
serious question - how do you feel about your union and how they acted in this?

do you think that inbred hillbilly of a leader of yours is worth a penny of what is likely a material income?

let's not forget, unions are a business, they're not solely there for their members. they're only there for their members insomuch as they can make money from being there for their members.
This settlement was not a win for teachers, but was for the union; Iker and his crew got to be relevant while fighting for a "noble cause". I am disappointed that we were led into a predictably terrible financial situation (many of us predicted in June that we would be legislated back to work in late September or early October as a starvation tactic) by a government that wanted us to strike to save money. In the end we walk away with only slightly better classroom conditions, a big hole in our pockets, and an uphill battle to repair our tattered public image. I was ready to sign the deal in June but it's follow the leader and/or majority rules, so here we are.

Last edited by acrophobia; 09-17-2014 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Sausage fingers + iPad = spelling disaster
acrophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:36 PM   #754

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
Based on that info acrophobia, makes about $86k (9000/5weeks = $1800/week x 4= $7200/mo x 12 = 86k) per year. When did making 86k become "not enough".
If I got paid 86k and got a raise on top of that that was not based on performance, but on seniority each year, I'd be pumped to go back to work too. My next raise is only 3 months away... woot woot!

Disclaimer: Acrophobia - this is not directed towards you personally, but towards the BCTF and how it's not about the money and about the kids.
Just over 65k after eight years. I'm not sure that any teachers would say that we don't get paid enough, but COLA increases are nice (and have nothing to do with seniority or performance) since life isn't getting any cheaper.

Last edited by acrophobia; 09-17-2014 at 08:42 PM.
acrophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2014, 09:03 PM   #755
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
65k for 10 months is equivalent to ~$78k for 12 months, that's pretty good.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #756

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post

Spoiler!
What you're supposed to do it go vote, but "spoil" your ballot. Not voting is being lazy, spoiling your ballot is voting "none of the above"
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 09-17-2014, 09:06 PM   #757
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrophobia View Post
I was ready to sign the deal in June but it's follow the leader and/or majority rules, so here we are.
So how come teachers don't do anything about this?

I worked a long side a semi dysfunctional union for a good length of time, was probably about 3000 odd members. Even with only about 30 or 40 members behind their cause, a band of guys gained real traction and forced a few changes out of the union. They also rallied a lot of other people behind them pretty quick, in that situation had change within the union leaders not come about I'm pretty sure dissolution would've been a very real possibility.

So again, why don't teachers do anything about the union which represents them if they don't have faith in the union, or its leaders?

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2014, 09:43 PM   #758

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
It's not 78k, it's 65k. I can't work for an extra 2 months for the same daily/weekly/monthly rate. I'm a teacher with no transferable skills, so my summer job isn't going to pay me like my teaching job (as my $14/hour job this summer proves ).
Old 09-17-2014, 09:58 PM   #759
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
That's $65k in 2022 ... Roughly equivalent to $55k in today's money (using Bank of Canada's inflation calculator).
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:04 PM   #760
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
Quote:
It's not 78k, it's 65k. I can't work for an extra 2 months for the same daily/weekly/monthly rate. I'm a teacher with no transferable skills, so my summer job isn't going to pay me like my teaching job (as my $14/hour job this summer proves ).
is it easy to get a position to teach summer school? what's the process and is it the same pay rate?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:10 PM   #761

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
B.C. teachers' strike: Vote No says teacher Tara Ehrcke

B.C. teachers' strike: Vote No says teacher Tara Ehrcke - British Columbia - CBC News
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:29 PM   #762

Quote:
Yes I know that, I did that to show what the equivalent is if you did work 12 months since the rest of us don't get 2 months off. Sure if you choose to work during that time off you may not make the same per hour as you do as a teacher but you knew that going into the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
That's $65k in 2022 ... Roughly equivalent to $55k in today's money (using Bank of Canada's inflation calculator).
I'm going off of what acrophobia posted as his salary, not wherever you got it from.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-17-2014, 11:23 PM   #763
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
This settlement was not a win for teachers, but was for the union; Iker and his crew got to be relevant while fighting for a "noble cause". I am disappointed that we were led into a predictably terrible financial situation (many of us predicted in June that we would be legislated back to work in late September or early October as a starvation tactic) by a government that wanted us to strike to save money. In the end we walk away with only slightly better classroom conditions, a big hole in our pockets, and an uphill battle to repair our tattered public image. I was ready to sign the deal in June but it's follow the leader and/or majority rules, so here we are.
you didn't answer my question.

do you support or detest the BCTF leadership?

i agree with everything you say, it was about the union, not the teachers. i hope the teacher revolt from their union and make their own
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:26 PM   #764

one thing that really bothers me as a (past) BC taxpayer.

politicians, police, firemen, teachers, are all civil servants. NONE of them should get anything more or less than an inflation pay raise for each level.

if i were a teacher, i don't think i'd be happy at 7.x% over 6 years, that's not going to keep up with inflation, yet crusty and her cronies are getting pretty much that per year.

you don't go into civil service to make $$$$$$, you do it for a number of reasons.

as a taxpayer, i'm livid about how much civil servants (read: politicians) take for themselves, disgusting
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2014, 02:58 PM   #765
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

you should be even more upset at how much $$ the governing political party dole out to their party supporters.
tonyzoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2014, 07:53 PM   #766

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by van_city23 View Post
doesn't it kind of seem like the deal the gov offered before the strike started? I think it's far from what the teachers wanted. Poor leadership does result in a poor deal for the teachers from their perspective. From my perspective, the teachers were asking too much but that's merely a personal opinion. That being said, it's about time kids get back in school.
"The teachers" weren't asking too much - their union was. No doubt, they were convinced when they voted to go to full job action, that they would receive all the lofty demands their executive were asking for. No doubt, they expected this would make up for the funds lost when their union led them down this path *with no war chest*.

If I were a teacher, I'd be pissed as fuck with my union.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2014, 08:48 PM   #767
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Kids back in school on Monday.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:05 PM   #768
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
Kids back in school on Monday.
Yep. 86% voted yes
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:14 PM   #769
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
i cant believe how many articles im reading with teachers quoted as saying "the government screwed us. we missed 5 weeks of wages and the deal doesn't even come close to paying that back"
Old 09-18-2014, 09:17 PM   #770
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,785 Times in 2,492 Posts
they should strike for it

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2014, 10:08 PM   #771

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjoint View Post
Yep. 86% voted yes
oh fuck they made a huge mistake.

12 years of battle and accomplished absolutely nothing, in terms of class composition.

They'll be stuck with this BS contract for next 6 years.
Special needs kids will be left out, kids will be stuck with low attention from teachers, teachers will be stressed out because of high number of kids.
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-18-2014, 10:13 PM   #772

look at the news,

many teachers who voted yes are actually very unhappy with this deal.

it was due to public pressure and financial struggles.
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-18-2014, 11:27 PM   #773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
look at the news,

many teachers who voted yes are actually very unhappy with this deal.

it was due to public pressure and financial struggles.
teachers (for the most part) want to teach.

the union was the big fucktard here.

teachers need a new union. the BCTF is over as far as i'm concerned. but then again, my concern is irrelevant as i'm not a unionist or a teacher... or live in BC
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2014, 07:20 AM   #774

^ I agree, IMO BCTF has shown itself to be full of people who don't give a shit about the people they're supposed to represent. The teachers need to make them more accountable or get rid of them and build a new union with teachers in it.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2014, 07:35 AM   #775

What are the credentials of the bctf leader? An ex teacher? I think it should be an ex teacher with 25-30 yrs teaching experience... Someone that truly understands the demands of teaching
This post thanked by: