REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:02 PM   #626
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
^

Problem with that you can have teachers that get along with the students great, are fun as hell to have as a student but can't teach worth shit. It becomes a popularity contest, catering to the students and having them like you would be more important then teaching them.

Thats why it's at the mid point of the following year. The teacher can be really fun and let you off 20mins early every day, but if doing so leaves you at a disadvantage, what are the chances the student will give the previous teacher a good grade?

The current teacher is expecting you to know the topics from last year, but too bad you were let out early 20 mins early and were not able to cover that..

This is probably applies more to classes like math or chem where each year you build on the prior year.
Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #627
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

I feel bad for the students in grade 12...
Purely is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2014, 07:42 AM   #628
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
B.C. teachers overwhelmingly vote to return to the classroom if government agrees to arbitration (with video)

Welp binding arbitration passed ofcourse with a 99.4% pass..

Now all I'm going to hear on the news is... "The government isn't fair. we had a vote and the government should respect that!"

If the government goes into this, that just means either a $0.05/L raise in the gas tax, or an extra $200/year for property owners of BC. Either way were getting screwed. And the aftermath of that will be, the people of this province crying that we are paying more money on either gas or property tax..

This whole thing is just a huge fucking now.. BCTF needs to drop some of their bullshit demands for more money in their pockets.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-11-2014, 07:59 AM   #629
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
If the government goes into this, that just means either a $0.05/L raise in the gas tax, or an extra $200/year for property owners of BC. Either way were getting screwed. And the aftermath of that will be, the people of this province crying that we are paying more money on either gas or property tax..
don't worry bro, if they get a raise they can afford the tax

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #630
I am grateful grapefruit

I wonder if they raise the property tax - are people who are renting out properties able to increase their rent right away? Right now they're limited to x% raise a year, but this $200 extra tax can't be factored in.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:58 AM   #631
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
Now all I'm going to hear on the news is... "The government isn't fair. we had a vote and the government should respect that!"

This whole thing is just a huge fucking now.. BCTF needs to drop some of their bullshit demands for more money in their pockets.
Dude, you're falling into the trap that Crusty Cunt is setting up. The problem isn't whether the province has the money to afford the class size and composition ruling from the Supreme Court. The problem is Crusty doesn't want to dedicated more money to public education.

de Jong already said that the province is running a larger revenue surplus than they had forecasted. And yet Crusty is telling you the public education funding needs cannot be done without raising taxes?

I call that lying cunt utter BS.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-11-2014, 12:19 PM   #632
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
lol i'm pretty sure those tax increase numbers that De Jong was throwing out are worst-case numbers, you know those type of numbers they isolate from stats and throw out to the public in hopes of a reaction

i kinda lol'd when I saw those numbers...it was more of a scare tactic than anything
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2014, 05:24 PM   #633
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I don't understand the logic of the BCTF voting for binding arbitration when the government has already said they have no intentions of agreeing to it. Seems like nothing more than a waste of time and a cheap jab at the government.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2014, 05:34 PM   #634
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Dude, you're falling into the trap that Crusty Cunt is setting up. The problem isn't whether the province has the money to afford the class size and composition ruling from the Supreme Court. The problem is Crusty doesn't want to dedicated more money to public education.

de Jong already said that the province is running a larger revenue surplus than they had forecasted. And yet Crusty is telling you the public education funding needs cannot be done without raising taxes?

I call that lying cunt utter BS.
well at least she raised the speed limit
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-11-2014, 08:57 PM   #635
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
I don't understand the logic of the BCTF voting for binding arbitration when the government has already said they have no intentions of agreeing to it. Seems like nothing more than a waste of time and a cheap jab at the government.
This is exactly what it is. A few weeks ago, Fassbender was calling for the union to take a vote with the members to return to work. His plan was obviously to force the members of the union to vote to show the public that they're not as united as they're made to believe. Teachers want to get back to work, some more than others obviously, but there is no way the teachers should trust the government to go back to work while they work on negotiating a settlement. The teachers would lose any pressure they had on the government.

The BCTF went back to the drawing board and came up with the binding arbitration idea, knowing that the government would never accept, but by getting the members to vote (99.4%!), it's showing the public that the teachers do want to get back to work ASAP...as long as the government goes through binding arbitration. And since they won't accept BA, the public pressure is back on the government.

Still pretty obvious to me that the government is stone walling the teachers, trying to not get schools open until at least October to save whatever money they can on wages and waiting until the court appeal to take place. Anything from now until October is just a show.
Frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2014, 09:13 PM   #636
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
This is exactly what it is. A few weeks ago, Fassbender was calling for the union to take a vote with the members to return to work. His plan was obviously to force the members of the union to vote to show the public that they're not as united as they're made to believe. Teachers want to get back to work, some more than others obviously, but there is no way the teachers should trust the government to go back to work while they work on negotiating a settlement. The teachers would lose any pressure they had on the government.

The BCTF went back to the drawing board and came up with the binding arbitration idea, knowing that the government would never accept, but by getting the members to vote (99.4%!), it's showing the public that the teachers do want to get back to work ASAP...as long as the government goes through binding arbitration. And since they won't accept BA, the public pressure is back on the government.

Still pretty obvious to me that the government is stone walling the teachers, trying to not get schools open until at least October to save whatever money they can on wages and waiting until the court appeal to take place. Anything from now until October is just a show.
What a dumb idea. Wouldn't the union get more "public support" by agreeing to go back to school while negotiating? They can still do rotational strikes until the deal is reached, but at least people will start hating the gov't instead of the teachers. Also, the teachers will show they are really doing it for the kids, by going back to school, but still looking out for their welfare by holding rotational strikes. Not agreeing to do so is just using the kids as pawns..

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-11-2014, 09:48 PM   #637
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
What a dumb idea. Wouldn't the union get more "public support" by agreeing to go back to school while negotiating? They can still do rotational strikes until the deal is reached, but at least people will start hating the gov't instead of the teachers. Also, the teachers will show they are really doing it for the kids, by going back to school, but still looking out for their welfare by holding rotational strikes. Not agreeing to do so is just using the kids as pawns..
The government has screwed the teachers so many times that there's no way the BCTF could ever trust them by going back to work without a contract. Let's say your employer continues to dock your pay, ignores court orders TWICE regarding working conditions that were made in exchange for 0% wage increases. Would you go back to work if they said something along the lines of "don't worry...go back to work and we'll work something out...eventually...maybe...if we feel like it."

Rotational strikes don't accomplish anything in June. No point in going back to them especially if they're on full strike. The government wouldn't be pressured to do anything.

What the public needs to understand is that the teachers ARE doing it for the kids, but it's all in the realm of short term pain for long term gain. The teachers need to hold strong here for future generations of students.
Frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2014, 09:53 PM   #638
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:

It's pretty obvious the government is trying to break the BCTF. Even if the public is pissed, the Liberals know that the public will largely forget about the strike when the next election rolls around.

This is the strike that broke the camel's back: the public school system is done in this province. Parents who can afford it (or are willing to make sacrifices to), will put their kids in private schools. The public system will be for the poor.
Tapioca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #639
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Saw this published in the Strait. They may lean left, but...

Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2014, 11:27 PM   #640
HELP ME PLS!!!

hum, haven't you guys learned that stats are COMPLETELY useless in politics?

$180,000 * 7.6% x 26 deputy ministers = ~$350,000
$60,000 * 1.1% * 41000 teachers = ~$27,000,000

ZOMG TEACHERS ARE GETTING 76x THE MONEY DEPUTY MINISTERS ARE!!!

yeah, I'm pretty good at useless stats too :P

When it's union vs non-union, no one will ever have their opinion changed by the other side. Each side will see what they want to see, and believe what they want to believe.

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-12-2014, 09:22 AM   #641

B.C. teachers' strike: Stalled talks point to new solution - British Columbia - CBC News
Old 09-14-2014, 06:21 AM   #642

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
What the public needs to understand is that the teachers ARE doing it for the kids, but it's all in the realm of short term pain for long term gain. The teachers need to hold strong here for future generations of students.
What the teachers need to understand is that if they get all their demands, they'll be fucking over the kids in the future with the extra debt it creates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2014, 06:27 AM   #643

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
It's pretty obvious the government is trying to break the BCTF. Even if the public is pissed, the Liberals know that the public will largely forget about the strike when the next election rolls around.

This is the strike that broke the camel's back: the public school system is done in this province. Parents who can afford it (or are willing to make sacrifices to), will put their kids in private schools. The public system will be for the poor.
I don't get the math that trying to break the union = trying to destroy the public system.

How about the idea that the union has a stranglehold on the public system, and breaking the union is an attempt to save that system from it?

People make the assertion that CC's kid being in private school = "the government" doesn't care about public schools, but there are tons of other parents that make up "the government", most of whom I'd be willing to bet have their kids in the public system.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2014, 01:37 PM   #644

B.C. teachers' strike: tensions flare at Vancouver rally - British Columbia - CBC News

B.C. teachers' strike: tensions flare at Vancouver rally
Group of parents from Richmond crash pro-teachers rally with anti-B.C. Teachers' Federation slogans

CBC News Posted: Sep 14, 2014 11:08 AM PT Last Updated: Sep 14, 2014 2:03 PM PT

A brief melee broke out at a parent, teacher, student pro-union rally at the Vancouver Art Gallery Sunday when it was crashed by a group of parents from Richmond wielding anti-union signs.

The rally, one of three planned today, was organized on Facebook and described as a grassroots, parent-driven rally although it easily attracted as many teachers and labour leaders as it did parents.

Part way through it, a group of parents from Richmond calling themselves the BC Parents Federation crashed the party to deliver an opposing point of view.

"We love teachers," but not the BCTF said one of the signs. "Don't use kids as pawns," said another. "Respect taxpayers. End the strike," said a third.

As the group tried to push its way forward it was met with resistance from the pro-union crowd already there.

"I'm a taxpayer. I'm a teacher. And you want me to give up on your kids? Unbelievable!" said one teacher. "We need help. We don't need someone to fight with."

The conversation degenerated for a few minutes into a pushing, shoving and swearing match, but Vancouver police officers on bicycles managed to keep things calm.

B.C. teachers' strike - anti-union signs
A group calling itself the BC Parents' Federation wielding anti-union signs crashed a rally at the Vancouver Art Gallery that included parents, teachers' and union supporters. (CBC)

BC Parents Federation spokesman Tom Tang said his group has just registered as a legal organization."

"We're here to support our children and our teachers but we are against the BCTF which doesn't show any faith in the negotiations," he said."So far our children cannot go back to school two weeks after the regular school days."

Tang said his group held their own rally last week, but wanted to come to the Vancouver rally to show people who they were.

More rallies planned today

Rallies are also planned at Canada Place and at Surrey's Holland Park.

The District Parent Advisory Committee in Surrey is advising parents to contact the parties in the dispute directly including MLAs, the premier, relevant ministers and the B.C. Teachers' Federation.

Bargaining quietly resumed in Richmond this weekend under veteran mediator Vince Ready. A media blackout has been imposed and neither side is commenting on the state of the talks.

Teachers have already voted to end their strike if the government will agree to binding arbitration — a proposal the province initially rejected out-of-hand.

There have also been veiled threats of a legislated end to the strike. Premier Christy Clark said earlier this week she is determined to get a conclusion to the strike before she leaves Oct. 9 on a trade mission to India.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #645

I wonder if government will back up and let BCTF win?
https://www.bctf.ca/

Old 09-14-2014, 01:44 PM   #646
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
B.C. teachers' strike: tensions flare at Vancouver rally - British Columbia - CBC News

........."We're here to support our children and our teachers but we are against the BCTF which doesn't show any faith in the negotiations," he said."So far our children cannot go back to school two weeks after the regular school days."

It's starting...
called it ..post #636

Public opinion is the greatest pressure of all, no matter what type of government.

This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #647

meanwhile at private schools..

looks like they already had their Welcome Back to School Assembly 2 weeks ago, classes have started, living regular school life...

https://www.facebook.com/yoursmus
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brent...ol/34438070228
https://www.facebook.com/saintmargarets
https://www.facebook.com/shawnigan
Old 09-14-2014, 04:16 PM   #648
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
meanwhile at private schools..

looks like they already had their Welcome Back to School Assembly 2 weeks ago, classes have started, living regular school life...

https://www.facebook.com/yoursmus
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brent...ol/34438070228
https://www.facebook.com/saintmargarets
https://www.facebook.com/shawnigan
Why on earth do you keep bring up private schools? It's illogical and inefficient! Of course private schools are up and running, business as usual. Why wouldn't they be? It's a premium service that costs a lot money; one of the many benefits is that it will still be up and running even if the public system is down.

Excellent Facebook stalking skills though...
Old 09-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #649
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:

I sincerely hope not.
capt_slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:26 PM   #650

Quote:

Anyone still not clear that this vote was nothing more than a ploy by the TF to put pressure on the gov't?

TF calls for arbitration.
Gov't declines in no uncertain terms.
TF goes ahead anyway with "no duh" vote on whether members want arbitration.

Wouldn't it have made sense to at least do this vote before even suggesting arbitration?

Oh yeah... we can't have anything making sense here...
Quote: