REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   REVscene Motorsports (https://www.revscene.net/forums/revscene-motorsports_26/)
-   -   Official "my latest HPDE experience" thread. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/695361-official-my-latest-hpde-experience-thread.html)

SumAznGuy 03-05-2015 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by white rocket (Post 8603822)
I never understood it as well. Most tracks you can use that section which will dramatically change the driving line.

It depends on the track and what the corner/exit is like. For example, at Portland International, T9 (I believe it is turn 9 since it's been 9 years since I last ran there) is banked so driving on that curb increases camber and you can get more g's = more speed in corner exit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kchan (Post 8605347)
April 26th:

Hmmmm. Ridge or Mission.

Quote:

Originally Posted by white rocket (Post 8605466)
Do most guys drive down the day before, stay the night, hit the track then travel back some day?

I prefer getting there a day early and getting a good night's sleep to get full enjoyment of the trackday. Sucks to run the day on auto pilot because of lack of sleep.
I've done both on the way back and it depends on the person. For me, it sucked being in the sun the whole day when it is 30C or higher and then trying to drive home when I am tired, stinky, and sweaty.

After a full day of hpde, it's not hard to be mentally fatigued without even knowing it.
One thing's for sure though, I need an auto tranny and AC if I am driving up the same day.

kchan 03-05-2015 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy (Post 8605528)

Hmmmm. Ridge or Mission.

for sure ridge over mission :hotbaby:

duy- 03-05-2015 06:01 PM

why not both?

Traum 03-05-2015 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kchan (Post 8605542)
for sure ridge over mission :hotbaby:

LOL~ ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by duy- (Post 8605544)
why not both?

Cuz they're unfortunately on the same day. :o

But with the nature of both the tracks and the target audience, I think the driver overlap should be sufficiently small.

duy- 03-05-2015 06:14 PM

ahh damn
there's 4 ridge days up
I'm intending to do 2 and 2 missions this year
variety is the spice of life
there's also a lot of drift practices if anyone's interested

dared3vil0 03-05-2015 06:53 PM

Quote:

then trying to drive home when I am tired, stinky, and sweaty.

After a full day of hpde, it's not hard to be mentally fatigued without even knowing it.
One thing's for sure though, I need an auto tranny and AC if I am driving up the same day.

Well i've got the auto tranny and AC thing covered and I still wouldn't want to drive home after a track day. :troll:

Last year we were planning on driving home after ORP (which is only like an hour and a half further than the ridge) but by the time we got to portland i realized i was almost falling asleep and it was too dangerous to drive home that night- some people can do it, and I probably could, i just think for the $~180 a mediocre holiday inn express costs it makes more sense to stay the night.

kchan 03-05-2015 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dared3vil0 (Post 8605571)
Well i've got the auto tranny and AC thing covered and I still wouldn't want to drive home after a track day. :troll:

Last year we were planning on driving home after ORP (which is only like an hour and a half further than the ridge) but by the time we got to portland i realized i was almost falling asleep and it was too dangerous to drive home that night- some people can do it, and I probably could, i just think for the $~180 a mediocre holiday inn express costs it makes more sense to stay the night.

it also helps that im so used to the drive from ridge to vancouver in my lotus ive become immune to it...

in the month of august every weekend i was at the ridge.. for bike and car track days :heckno:

Traum 03-05-2015 07:05 PM

Kchan is offering a great track programme, and I most certainly don't want to steal his thunder in this thread. So I will just keep this informational here, and leave you with the following:

2015 VCMC Track Day Programme

Sun, April 26 -- @Mission Raceway Park
Mon, June 29 -- @The Ridge Motorsports Park
Fri, Sept 4 -- @Pacific Raceways

kchan 03-05-2015 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8605579)
Kchan is offering a great track programme, and I most certainly don't want to steal his thunder in this thread. So I will just keep this informational here, and leave you with the following:

2015 VCMC Track Day Programme

Sun, April 26 -- @Mission Raceway Park
Mon, June 29 -- @The Ridge Motorsports Park
Fri, Sept 4 -- @Pacific Raceways

oh you - dont say that :gay:

VCMC and myself included are just trying to provide a safe environment for people to push their cars in safe and fun environment while promoting the sport

westopher 03-05-2015 07:17 PM

More of these is always a good thing in the community! It's the same price or cheaper than a speeding ticket and a hell of a lot less stupid.

kchan 03-05-2015 07:25 PM

i just wish i can attend local autox/mission track days.. but i wont pass the sound limit :failed:

dared3vil0 03-05-2015 07:53 PM

I would so love to try mission but those cement walls scare the hell out of me...

white rocket 03-05-2015 09:08 PM

Quote:

It depends on the track and what the corner/exit is like. For example, at Portland International, T9 (I believe it is turn 9 since it's been 9 years since I last ran there) is banked so driving on that curb increases camber and you can get more g's = more speed in corner exit.

Ah nice. Never thought about that. The surface area and its angles would play a big factor.

Quote:

I prefer getting there a day early and getting a good night's sleep to get full enjoyment of the trackday.

Agreed. PR days were always like that. It pays to be refreshed and alert before a track day.

Mission is boring now for me. I like the technical nature of it(since my car isn't that powerful) but it's so hard on brakes. I did a bunch of PR days back in '06-'08 and I loved the higher speeds and fast corners. Dying the try the Ridge or even ORP.

Traum 03-05-2015 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dared3vil0 (Post 8605645)
I would so love to try mission but those cement walls scare the hell out of me...

As long as you remember that a track day is not a race, you will probably do fine. And the thought applies not just to Mission, but also at practically every other track as well -- as long as you respect the track, you are going to be fine. Just because you leave a tiny bit of time on the table doesn't mean you cannot have fun. On the contrary, there is still a very big zone where you can be completely safe and still enjoy yourself out there on the track even when you are not driving at 10/10th.

If you are new to Mission Raceway, just ask for an instructor. Most organizations that do track days at Mission have that kind of arrangement, and they would be more than happy to show you the ropes around the track.

dared3vil0 03-05-2015 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8605687)
As long as you remember that a track day is not a race, you will probably do fine. And the thought applies not just to Mission, but also at practically every other track as well -- as long as you respect the track, you are going to be fine. Just because you leave a tiny bit of time on the table doesn't mean you cannot have fun. On the contrary, there is still a very big zone where you can be completely safe and still enjoy yourself out there on the track even when you are not driving at 10/10th.

If you are new to Mission Raceway, just ask for an instructor. Most organizations that do track days at Mission have that kind of arrangement, and they would be more than happy to show you the ropes around the track.

Yeah I could care less about time for now- that will come later. The issue with mission for me is the fact that one error = cement wall.

When I picked ORP for my first ever track outing is was because other than the last turn before the front straight, if you fuck up you slide into desert. Nothing to hit.

duy- 03-05-2015 10:15 PM

its really hard to hit anything at mission, youd have to really aim at a wall to actually hit it. it doesnt happen often, i think ive seen more people hit walls on the streets than at mission, give it a try and you'll realize its all a misconception

dared3vil0 03-05-2015 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duy- (Post 8605695)
its really hard to hit anything at mission, youd have to really aim at a wall to actually hit it. it doesnt happen often, i think ive seen more people hit walls on the streets than at mission, give it a try and you'll realize its all a misconception

Yes that's the thing, hit wall on the street? ICBC pays to fix the damage/buy a new car...

With that said I will try Mission at some point. Watching in car videos that little shunt to the right with the wall on the front straight looks gnarly!

Noran 03-05-2015 11:05 PM

I guess you need your own car to go to these :spin:

I don't like being poor.

kchan 03-05-2015 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noran (Post 8605720)

I don't like being poor.

at the last event i hosted, there was a 1992 pure stock corolla that attended and ran all day

didnt have proper tires or brakes (i think) but the driver looked like he had a lot of fun

you can have fun in any car - you just to take that first step and committing to it

325isMSPORT 03-05-2015 11:19 PM

there's a track day @ mission with R&P
on april 6th (easter monday)

duy- 03-05-2015 11:24 PM

Quote:

I don't like being poor.

you can't rent my spare car ;)

Noran 03-05-2015 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duy- (Post 8605730)
you can't rent my spare car ;)

Down.

Noran 03-05-2015 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kchan (Post 8605725)
at the last event i hosted, there was a 1992 pure stock corolla that attended and ran all day

didnt have proper tires or brakes (i think) but the driver looked like he had a lot of fun

you can have fun in any car - you just to take that first step and committing to it

Maybe I'll have to borrow my brother '91 Diesel Jetta for a day :lol

Traum 03-05-2015 11:57 PM

Quote:

I don't like being poor.

For what it is worth, I have been tracking my totally bone stock 7th gen beater Civic 4 door sedan at Mission in the past 2 years. The car is as slow as a slug -- I think I managed to barely break the 120 km/h barrier at the end of the front straight before I got onto the brakes. The car rolls like a yacht that is about to flip over, and I was riding on stock size all season rubber mounted on stock rims. I was pointing everyone by to pass me as soon as a straightaway comes up (though I'd like to think that I was holding my own in the T4-5-6 transitions, the T7a/b chicane, and the T8-T9 turns). Still, it was a boatload of fun, with the body roll to match, and it just goes to show that anyone can have a tremendous amount of fun in the plainest, simplest little car at a race track.

As long as it is mechanically sound, you can probably take it out to the track.

duy- 03-06-2015 09:37 AM

i was there for that, ubscc blue civic? looked amazing out there

the altezzas ready to rock again if you wanna do the ridge, just needs pads... but you have to drive my corolla there and back while i relax in the sedan, tofu should drive a corolla anyways