REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Sign up for PrivateInternetAccess VPN (https://www.revscene.net/forums/700635-sign-up-privateinternetaccess-vpn.html)

Ulic Qel-Droma 01-09-2015 03:45 PM

yeah its called vpn kill switch.

if vpn disconnects, internet disconnects. enabling it gives u this warning that it could fuck your system up though. duno the risk on that. not technical enough to understand the risks on that option.

Presto 01-09-2015 04:09 PM

VPN kill switch doesn't seem to like it when the computer goes to sleep. No big deal since that's not my torrent machine, and a reboot corrects the issue.

PHATFLIP_14 01-13-2015 05:13 PM

Just signed up. Had a bit of trouble with connecting in the beginning. But, with the help of their tech support I am now able to connect.

So far it is working well, getting decent speeds and their tech support is pretty good. :fuckyea:

willystyle 01-13-2015 07:23 PM

I wouldn't rely on PIA's VPN Kill Switch and DNS Leak Protection. It's very unreliable. I recommend VPNCheck Pro. It has the same features with VPN Kill Switch and DNS Leak Protection plus more, but far more reliable than PIA's windows client.

dasani604 01-14-2015 02:24 AM

I'm fairly new to the whole VPN usage so pardon my ignorance. If I purchase and setup PIA VPN on my current router and then use a new router some time after, will that be an issue (the router would be the one provided by my ISP)? I am presuming that it should not be an issue as it should be able to be set on any router at any time.

If someone could clarify this for me, that would be great.

bananana 01-14-2015 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasani604 (Post 8580979)
I'm fairly new to the whole VPN usage so pardon my ignorance. If I purchase and setup PIA VPN on my current router and then use a new router some time after, will that be an issue (the router would be the one provided by my ISP)? I am presuming that it should not be an issue as it should be able to be set on any router at any time.

Yep you have that correct. Its extremely easy to set up and there are detailed instructions on their website.

Habboy 01-14-2015 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8579178)
Quoting Presto from the bill c-11 thread:

Scammers!!! Sad thing is that people will pay...

willystyle 01-14-2015 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasani604 (Post 8580979)

I wouldn't set it up on a router. See below:

http://www.revscene.net/forums/70063...ml#post8578163

Alby 01-14-2015 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willystyle (Post 8580828)
I wouldn't rely on PIA's VPN Kill Switch and DNS Leak Protection. It's very unreliable. I recommend VPNCheck Pro. It has the same features with VPN Kill Switch and DNS Leak Protection plus more, but far more reliable than PIA's windows client.

would you be able to provide a link for VPNCheck Pro? also, would using VPNCheck Pro mean you won't have to use PIA's windows client or do they work side by side?

i mainly torrent from sites where it requires you to sign up and register and log in before you have access to their torrents. would i still need a VPN or are am i safe?

bananana 01-14-2015 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willystyle (Post 8581155)
I wouldn't set it up on a router. See below:

http://www.revscene.net/forums/70063...ml#post8578163

I definitely wouldn't want to run all my traffic through the VPN installed on the router. However I don't know if this is even possible.. would you be able to funnel all your torrent traffic through a bypassed port and have the VPN only on this specific port?

willystyle 01-14-2015 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alby (Post 8581194)
would you be able to provide a link for VPNCheck Pro? also, would using VPNCheck Pro mean you won't have to use PIA's windows client or do they work side by side?

i mainly torrent from sites where it requires you to sign up and register and log in before you have access to their torrents. would i still need a VPN or are am i safe?

VPNCheck Pro is a paid software; however, if you know where to look, it can be had for "free".

I am using it side-by-side with the PIA client; however, it can be setup to connect through VPNCheck Pro only (bypassing the PIA client). Though you will need to do a little research on how that can be accomplished as I've never done that before.

If you're not using VPN/proxy, you're not safe regardless of public or private tracker. There's no excuse to not be using VPN/proxy because they are very affordable, and if you're caught, you only have yourself to blame.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bananana (Post 8581230)
I definitely wouldn't want to run all my traffic through the VPN installed on the router. However I don't know if this is even possible.. would you be able to funnel all your torrent traffic through a bypassed port and have the VPN only on this specific port?

It's possible to run all your traffic through your router, but be prepared to shell out $200-$300 for a powerful router that can encrypt more than 8Mbps.

On PIA, you can port forward to have your traffic diverted through a specific port (encrypted). I know this can be done, but I've never done this. Port forwarding is not safe, is unreliable, so I don't recommend this as a solution.

However, you may consider the following solutions, but you will need either an expensive router, or have an older desktop computer (within 5 years) kicking around, so you can build and setup your own router as part of your network (for ex. DD-WRT x86, RouterOS).

SOLUTION 1:
Assuming you have a powerful router, you can create two bridges within a single router, have one bridge designated for non-encrypted traffic, and the other bridge for VPN.

SOLUTION 2:
Run two separate routers, one for regular traffic, the other router for VPN. This will be the easiest solution.

Nightwalker 01-17-2015 01:32 PM

Purchased and just starting to use. The client they provide doesn't seem the greatest, but this will kick ass and save me some $ over another VPN I've been running.

dasani604 01-20-2015 10:52 AM

Purchased and set up. Thanks for sharing this SkinnyPupp.

jackmeister 01-22-2015 10:42 PM

Got it setup.......

except my torrent speed is half of what it used to be..

badboy 01-22-2015 11:27 PM

Does everyone use auto connect or do you guys like a certain location to be in?

Alby 01-23-2015 07:30 PM

i use auto connect. torrent speeds don't seem to be affected in any way.

Ulic Qel-Droma 01-24-2015 12:19 AM

tested with 50 down and 10 up today. auto connected. and watched a bandwidth program. i saw 49 hit a lot and 9 up hit a lot.

CRS 01-25-2015 12:27 AM

Once the app is started (or the VPN is connected) there is nothing else you need to do to torrent, or am I mistaken?

Alby 01-25-2015 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 8586096)
Once the app is started (or the VPN is connected) there is nothing else you need to do to torrent, or am I mistaken?

correct, nothing else needs to be done. torrent away after VPN is connected

Preemo 01-25-2015 12:48 PM

Before VPN

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4089031681.png

After VPN

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4089020963.png

Thanks for the link Skinny!

SkinnyPupp 01-25-2015 05:48 PM

BTW can someone try using the UK server and see if BBC iPlayer works?

You should also be able to use the US server and stream the network channels, including the Super Bowl next week...

TOS'd 01-25-2015 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8586363)
BTW can someone try using the UK server and see if BBC iPlayer works?

You should also be able to use the US server and stream the network channels, including the Super Bowl next week...

From TG thread:
Quote:

Originally Posted by TOS'd (Post 8586371)
Was able to watch via PIA's UK London server. I barely let it buffer, no lag. Also I turned off PIA after a minute or two and I was able to skip ahead and it would load up and continue playing while off PIA. Unless within that minute or two literally, it had buffered the whole episode.

SkinnyPupp 01-25-2015 06:39 PM

Yup usually with these players, you only have to initiate the connection through the VPN. After that, you can disable it if it's too slow, and get a more direct connection thereafter. I used to do that with NFL gamepass when it was free in some regions. It would have been impossible to watch through a slow VPN in Argentina, but it was fine to open the window then disconnect the vpn.

willystyle 01-25-2015 06:53 PM

How can I catch the Superbowl next week on my computer? Which site?

SkinnyPupp 01-25-2015 08:25 PM

NBC is streaming it, as long as they aren't blocking any specific US based servers, it should work too