REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Sign up for PrivateInternetAccess VPN (https://www.revscene.net/forums/700635-sign-up-privateinternetaccess-vpn.html)

SkinnyPupp 06-21-2015 08:46 PM

If you do an all in one post, I'll put it in the OP. You know more about this than I do! Thanks! :thumbs:

godwin 06-22-2015 10:04 PM

For those who are traveling (eg China) or really worried.. use L2TP instead of OpenVPN. You get better security and less chance of a fight over censors because L2TP is far more more primitive in the TCPIP stack. It is harder to filter.

K.Dubz 07-05-2015 03:05 PM

Can someone explain what Bill C-11 and why I would need PIA VPN?!

Mr.Money 07-05-2015 03:16 PM

^^^...basically the movie industry is tracking down movie downloaders who are stealing their films on torrent so they can earn more profit to buy that 20 million yacht sooner,also they need movie budgets more then 100 million dollars to produce....the heat is even more on you if your borrowing you're friends DVD 1 month in advance while he works in Bestbuy & you Convert it to a 700mb Divx to share on torrent sites :troll:

So you all better stop downloading together :fuckthatshit: or get VPN and have no complaints from your ISP contacting you for downloading JAWS reboot with justin bieber or some shit in the future with the rest of these Crappy Remakes Hollywood enjoys to make...

Tim Budong 08-30-2015 08:39 AM

so anyone try this in China?

6o4__boi 09-08-2015 08:45 AM

looks like its on sale
$60 for 2 years

has netflix ever started banning people for using this? or was that just an empty threat?

m3thods 09-08-2015 11:28 AM

^^ if you're already a customer, can you purchase at the above price and have it apply when your current service is expired? Or does it start when you purchase it and wipe out the remaining months of service already paid for?

EDIT: looks like multiple accounts on RFD say that you have to cancel current to reup with promo. That stinks.

willystyle 09-08-2015 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Budong (Post 8675771)
so anyone try this in China?

Latest news out of China is that they are blocking ALL VPN PROTOCOLS now. VPN's that work at the moment are only ones with "stealth" technology. PIA does not have "stealth" technology, so it's safe to assume that it will not work.

I'm using TorGuard now (former PIA user) with "stealth" tech, but I'm not in China, so I can't verify whether it works or not. TorGuard offers a 7 day free trial, maybe you can give them a try during your time there.

The Best VPN For China (Updated August 2015) - GreyCoder
https://torguard.net/stealth-vpn.php

kkthind 09-08-2015 01:28 PM

Hey skinny, I'm having issues for my vpn, it says authentication failed

Presto 09-08-2015 01:49 PM

^^^
First time signing in on that device, or was it working before?

willystyle 09-08-2015 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkthind (Post 8678533)
Hey skinny, I'm having issues for my vpn, it says authentication failed

Double-check that your username/password are correct. Also, try logging into another server. If all else fails, contact PIA support.

6o4__boi 09-14-2015 09:50 PM

Couple of questions.

Is the price in USD?

My Shaw internet drops connection every so often. (I have a WiFi router). Say I've got vpn going and I'm downloading a torrent and the net drops and connection is lost momentarily but reconnected after 30 secs. Am I compromised?

xjc11 09-14-2015 10:11 PM

^ I would think not. There's a setting for kill-switch in the PIA application. When your internet gets cut-off it automatically disables your network connections.

CRS 09-14-2015 10:24 PM

Price is in USD.

Vansterdam 09-15-2015 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6o4__boi (Post 8680489)
Couple of questions.

My Shaw internet drops connection every so often. (I have a WiFi router). Say I've got vpn going and I'm downloading a torrent and the net drops and connection is lost momentarily but reconnected after 30 secs. Am I compromised?

yup. happened to me a few times and I got a warning email from my ISP for downloading

if you do the killswitch function thing though it will prevent this but meh lol

6o4__boi 09-15-2015 07:18 AM

ahh shit, i figured.

i've heard nothing but bad things about PIA's kill switch and alternatives seem pretty complicated to set up...i guess i'm SOL when it comes to that part

kinda defeats the purpose of having vpn for me

SkinnyPupp 09-15-2015 07:30 AM

Try powerline adapters? I use them instead of wifi (wifi connectivity sucks with concrete wall) and they are way more reliable (and much faster). And cheap

6o4__boi 09-15-2015 07:44 AM

it's not the wifi connectivity/router that's bad though
my router is set up in the living room and pretty much all my devices are in the vicinity

i suspect it's the Internet service itself. I've called them before and they said the connection was flapping. It was pretty bad a few months ago where it would disconnect every few minutes. They sent a technician to look into the cable outlet on the wall and he changed a few things. Since then, it hasn't been as bad. But occasionally it would act up and i'd get pissed off and restart the router and unplug all the cables. That seemed to alleviate the flapping. Every now and then when i'm downloading or playing games the internet will disconnect for a few seconds and go back up again. This has happened on multiple devices so I know its not just a connectivity issue with a certain device.

I'd call Shaw again to tell them but i feel like they wouldn't be able to do anything.

6o4__boi 09-15-2015 07:56 AM

i'm just reading the other thread about Telus internet lol
i do have a dual band router...i've never really used the 5G on extended periods to see if connection drops happen there

i'm in a townhouse complex in PoCo...i wonder if the flapping is wire related

willystyle 09-15-2015 10:45 AM

It's difficult to diagnose your connection unless you connect your modem directly to a computer (hard-wire) and use it for a few days. If it still drops, then you are certain that it's an issue with your ISP. Otherwise, it can practically be anything right now. It can be a faulty modem, weak signal (coming from the shaw box outside), finicky wifi router reception, etc. The list goes on. You need to do a trial and error.

6o4__boi 09-15-2015 10:51 AM

i might test hard wire if that's possible with my modem

what is the cable called and where can I pick one up?

sonick 09-15-2015 10:59 AM

Just go to NCIX or MemoryExpress and ask for a network cable.

More specifically, Cat5e or Cat6.

Dollar store probably would also have it as well, but quality may be iffy.

willystyle 09-15-2015 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6o4__boi (Post 8680610)
i might test hard wire if that's possible with my modem

what is the cable called and where can I pick one up?

Your modem SHOULD have ethernet ports in the back for you to wire to a computer, unless you're still using one of the old school Motorola SB series modem from 2000. You should be fine.

6o4__boi 09-15-2015 12:28 PM

bought that. (yay for amazon prime for students lol):
http://www.amazon.ca/Startech-Com-N6...keywords=cat+6

pretty sure this is my modem:
https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-2563

willystyle 09-15-2015 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6o4__boi (Post 8680635)
bought that. (yay for amazon prime for students lol):
http://www.amazon.ca/Startech-Com-N6...keywords=cat+6

pretty sure this is my modem:
https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-2563

You're fine, there's 4 ethernet ports in the back.