REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Sign up for PrivateInternetAccess VPN (https://www.revscene.net/forums/700635-sign-up-privateinternetaccess-vpn.html)

beansbaxter 02-16-2015 04:58 PM

Signed up for this. Total noob, but was wondering if the protection would be higher by using their SOCKS5 Proxy within a torrent client and also have the PIA VPN Manager running? Or is it better to use one or the other?

SkinnyPupp 02-16-2015 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beansbaxter (Post 8597384)
Signed up for this. Total noob, but was wondering if the protection would be higher by using their SOCKS5 Proxy within a torrent client and also have the PIA VPN Manager running? Or is it better to use one or the other?

I would just run it through the manager.. That way you know your entire internet is running through them, and this can be confirmed

lilaznviper 02-17-2015 01:11 PM

anyone have issues running other vpn software installed along side with this? it says it would cause issues.

i use mainly sonicwall and cisco vpn client on my computer for work related things.

willystyle 02-17-2015 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilaznviper (Post 8597801)
anyone have issues running other vpn software installed along side with this? it says it would cause issues.

i use mainly sonicwall and cisco vpn client on my computer for work related things.

Yeah, you're on your own bud. I tried using the OpenVPN client for Windows, and ran into so many connection problems. Didn't want to deal with it, so I used the native app.

EuterVanWasser 02-20-2015 07:32 PM

Signed up! Can't wait to start fapping in private!

vitaminG 02-21-2015 09:37 AM

Anybody concerned about this?

Huge Security Flaw Leaks VPN Users' Real IP-Addresses | TorrentFreak

willystyle 02-21-2015 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitaminG (Post 8599675)

http://www.revscene.net/forums/70140...p-address.html

If you can, I would ditch Chrome and any Google products installed on your computer altogether. They are out there to intrude on our privacy and collect personal and sensitive data. Till this moment, there's no plans for Google to solve the WebRTC issue, and it extends beyond Windows. If you are using the Chrome browser on your desktop computer, your only "safe" bet is to install SafeScript.

SkinnyPupp 02-21-2015 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitaminG (Post 8599675)

It depends, which websites do you visit that you are concerned about them having your real IP?

If you're going to a site where that is a concern (and frankly I don't want to know what kind of site that is) then Tor is a better option. Maybe even more than that, I dunno...

SoNaRWaVe 02-22-2015 10:44 PM

i did the test and it did reveal my local ip and my public IP.

however when i changed the setting in firefox according to that guide, and did the test again, the public IP and local IP fields were blank.

does that verify that by changing the setting, its actually working?

604778 02-24-2015 05:17 PM

Signed up. my interent speed dropped to 30-40mbps from 100mbps.

falcon 02-25-2015 01:21 PM

I've been using PIA for a long time. Very happy over the years with the service. Quite literally have never seen downtime. Fast speeds and lots of locations to choose from.

chouchou 02-26-2015 11:06 AM

Is there a way to route a specific program/game to not use the VPN while the rest of the network is connected to it? Been getting shitty pings on CS:GO ever since using PIA.

willystyle 02-26-2015 12:45 PM

Use a proxy for the applications do need a secured tunnel.

chouchou 02-26-2015 02:10 PM

Would you set the proxy from within the application or use a VPN manager to route traffic?

willystyle 02-26-2015 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chouchou (Post 8602015)
Would you set the proxy from within the application or use a VPN manager to route traffic?

I would set the proxy within the application.

chouchou 02-26-2015 06:09 PM

Is there a way to confirm that the application is running through the proxy and ipleak free? thanks in advance btw

willystyle 02-26-2015 08:18 PM

Depends which application you're trying to create a proxy for. If it's for torrent, you can use a torrent checker to ensure that you're secured.

http://torguard.net/checkmytorrentipaddress.php

chouchou 02-28-2015 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willystyle (Post 8602191)
Depends which application you're trying to create a proxy for. If it's for torrent, you can use a torrent checker to ensure that you're secured.

Check My Torrent IP | Proxy & VPN Verification | TorGuard

basically, if the IP that shows up in your tracker list is different than your local IP, you have it set up properly?

anyone have this set up to work properly exclusively with chrome?

willystyle 02-28-2015 10:09 PM

Yes!

For Chrome -> Settings -> Type 'proxy' -> Change 'proxy' settings -> Connections -> LAN Settings -> Proxy Server then fill in the blanks with your generated username and password from the client support page.

Sunfighter 03-01-2015 06:08 PM

I followed the link and just bought the one year subscription. I needed a VPN and if I could support Revscene in the process then all the better.

It took about 5 seconds to register, 15 seconds to install the App... I was literally up and running in like two minutes.

DL speeds are a little throttled but I don't download much so I'm not worried. Everything else seems to be running at full speed.

m3thods 03-10-2015 08:47 PM

Just signed up after putting it off for months. According to speedtest I have a bit of a drop in download speed but I have a bump up on upload?

Oh well- yay security!

Edit:

It looks like I'm getting 1/4-1/2 of my non-PIA internet speed (download). Am I missing some sort of crucial setting? Everything is currently default (running through PIA's program/manager). Oddly enough, my upload speeds have doubled/quadrupled.

willystyle 03-11-2015 08:58 AM

Assuming you're in Vancouver, connect to Seattle and do a speed test.

m3thods 03-11-2015 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willystyle (Post 8607999)
Assuming you're in Vancouver, connect to Seattle and do a speed test.

Did that. Usually get 20 (Internet 25 from Telus) without PIA. Turn PIA on, and it's 5-8.

It's not noticeable (and I don't game anymore or download much). But it is weird seeing that everyone else is getting on par (or sometimes better) when turning on the PIA switch.

SoNaRWaVe 03-11-2015 03:14 PM

i think its just solely depending on how many people are connected through the same VPN you connect to. sometimes my speed are up to par, sometimes its cut down by half. if there's more people on, its just gonna slow down. when there's less people on, it will speed up.

flagella 03-13-2015 04:23 PM

Do you guys usually connect to Seattle? Is it the fastest?