REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

View Poll Results: It's Election Day!
Liberal 226 57.65%
NDP 57 14.54%
Green 7 1.79%
Conservative 66 16.84%
Other to support fringe beliefs 2 0.51%
Spoiled/Throwaway ballot 3 0.77%
Didn't Vote (BOO) 18 4.59%
Couldn't Vote for a Legit Reason 13 3.32%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2015, 01:06 PM   #351
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
I think the general issue is that people want foreigners to assimilate, they don't want to have to assimilate to the foreigners cultures.
I have yet to see a single news item claiming Muslim immigrants want to force all Canadian women to cover their faces.

Then again, I don't watch WorldTruth.tv
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2015, 01:13 PM   #352
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Unfortunately, many people are single-issue voters, especially in America where you see Republicans pandering to their base on issues like abortion, gay marriage, guns, Iran nukes, etc. Canada, especially under Harper, has begun using similar tactics so we see the focus shifting from broad, important issues like the economy and the environment to little issues like niqabs and terrorism. It's not some hidden agenda. It's pandering to simpletons because they aren't apathetic over single issues and will run to the polls.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:16 PM   #353
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,381 Times in 3,463 Posts
Quote:
Perhaps because people associate the niqab with a culture that severely oppresses women and is outright hateful to a number of other groups. (IE: Homosexuals)

I think the general issue is that people want foreigners to assimilate, they don't want to have to assimilate to the foreigners cultures.

Does that represent a racist/facist perspective? Perhaps, but I'm not sure it's really hurting anyone to establish a position of expectations that when you immigrate to Canada, you don't just immigrate here for the safety, jobs, health care, and education.. you immigrate here for the culture and way of life.

Again, the conservative hidden agenda is lost on me, if someone could spell it out, I would appreciate it.

I almost look forward to a scenario where the cons get punted and another party gets majority, then I can hear 80% of the current anti-cons bitching and complaining about the corrupt and ineffective NDP/LIBS etc.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but there is a reason why nobody ever speaks of previous governments with any nostalgia.
I am sorry i don't want everyone to be the same like the Borg.

Vatican acts after Polish priest reveals homosexuality - BBC News

Big fan of this guy:

and this guy:

Old 10-03-2015, 01:37 PM   #354
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Manic! I'm not really sure I know what you are getting at lol.

Just for the record I 100% support secularism, I am in no way shape fashion or form a religious individual and I do not think christians are better people than muslims etc. Personally I think the idea of an invisible man in the sky ridiculous, but I respect peoples rights to decide for themselves if they want to believe it or not... unfortunately people who do believe seem to really feel the need to associate their beliefs with politics.

Everyone on here has probably seen some of my posts on economics/finance. My vote has nothing to do with cultural issues, it has everything to do with lower taxes and less government spending.

You can throw out the "but look at how much debt the cons have blah blah blah" but that's totally disregarding the global economic situation over the course of Mr. Harpers reign. Meanwhile people will happily vote for Trudeau knowing he has committed to overspending (which I'm fine with actually, at least he's realistic) and the NDP who plan to spend way more and run a balanced budget (which is never ever going to happen)

My belief is that it's far more likely for government to increase taxes than it is for them to decrease taxes. This is ultimately my main concern when it comes to voting.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2015, 01:49 PM   #355

Quote:
Manic! I'm not really sure I know what you are getting at lol.

Just for the record I 100% support secularism, I am in no way shape fashion or form a religious individual and I do not think christians are better people than muslims etc. Personally I think the idea of an invisible man in the sky ridiculous, but I respect peoples rights to decide for themselves if they want to believe it or not... unfortunately people who do believe seem to really feel the need to associate their beliefs with politics.

Everyone on here has probably seen some of my posts on economics/finance. My vote has nothing to do with cultural issues, it has everything to do with lower taxes and less government spending.

You can throw out the "but look at how much debt the cons have blah blah blah" but that's totally disregarding the global economic situation over the course of Mr. Harpers reign. Meanwhile people will happily vote for Trudeau knowing he has committed to overspending (which I'm fine with actually, at least he's realistic) and the NDP who plan to spend way more and run a balanced budget (which is never ever going to happen)

My belief is that it's far more likely for government to increase taxes than it is for them to decrease taxes. This is ultimately my main concern when it comes to voting.

It does not matter how low the taxes are if you are not making any money. And honestly do you think the government should spend 12 million on some hot line when we already have 911 and the police?
Old 10-03-2015, 01:52 PM   #356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
It does not matter how low the taxes are if you are not making any money.
If who isn't making any money? People or the gov?
Old 10-03-2015, 01:53 PM   #357

Which tax base are we discussing? The middle classs, the wealthy, corporate, etc? There have been and will be increasea and decreases depending on which base we look at.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:56 PM   #358
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,288 Times in 2,506 Posts
Quote:
I almost look forward to a scenario where the cons get punted and another party gets majority, then I can hear 80% of the current anti-cons bitching and complaining about the corrupt and ineffective NDP/LIBS etc.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but there is a reason why nobody ever speaks of previous governments with any nostalgia.
I don't really see this as being odd at all -- that is just the nature of how people behave. As a matter of fact, that is how much of the civilized world acts. We are always trying to find that elusive balance point, but given our limited capabilities -- including memory, attention span, resources, time, etc. -- we can never find or stay at that perfectly balanced point. Issues of the day comes up, and then we tip our scale one way. Only to find out later that the scale has been tipped too far down one direction, so we try to correct, and almost always end over-correcting. And then we repeat the same balancing act again.

There is a reason history repeats itself. Suffice to say, it is almost never a good thing to have someone stay in power for too long, and right now, Steve Harpy is that someone who has stayed in power for too long.

In this regard, I actually like the 2 term limit of the US presidential system a lot more. 8 years tops, and then you're out.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2015, 02:06 PM   #359

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
Quote:
Edit: Just to be clear, terrorism or not, the gov should be able to revoke the citizenship of child molesters etc. If there were people trying to immigrate to Canada that were convicted child molesters would you let them in? No fucking way I would, and if I could kick those people out, I sure as fuck would.
On the flip side though, if we actually gave terrorists and child molesters have fucking decent sentences (ie life) in some ways I'd prefer to keep them in Canada and in a Canadian prison only because then we know the asswipe is locked up. Sure it'll cost money but just write it off as doing the rest of the world a favour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
This is exactly what Harper wants, for the idiots to be blinded by the larger issue and just see "oh terrorist gets sent out of canada...rock on!" even when you beat the facts in front of them all they see is "terrorist" the issue is larger than that

if you want to play it like that, then every fucking criminal, or person Harper doesn't like?, can be sent to some foreign country (europe, asia, africa, america, first nation reserves) and since Harpers looking to expand it to lesser crimes, not just terrorism, everyone should be concerned...stepping stones
CiC is that you?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2015, 02:17 PM   #360

My mom is so close to getting her American citizenship, my ass will be dual soon so I won't care who is in power... I'll just slide south and join the NRA, start advocating that less gun control increases gun safety and protest abortion etc like the rest of my incompetent right wing buddies.

Though I do worry Harper might deport me over a speeding ticket or revoke my citizenship for failing to file my taxes on time.

Seriously though, I don't know why I keep clicking this thread hahaha

I came here because I like cars, fuck all the goons in Ottawa.

To quote Timpo, "GTR for president".
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2015, 03:48 PM   #361
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
My mom is so close to getting her American citizenship, my ass will be dual soon so I won't care who is in power... I'll just slide south and join the NRA, start advocating that less gun control increases gun safety and protest abortion etc like the rest of my incompetent right wing buddies.

Though I do worry Harper might deport me over a speeding ticket or revoke my citizenship for failing to file my taxes on time.

Seriously though, I don't know why I keep clicking this thread hahaha

I came here because I like cars, fuck all the goons in Ottawa.

To quote Timpo, "GTR for president".
Was one or both of your grandparents a US citizen? My Grandma was and my mom got her duel about 10 years ago but it ends at her, myself or my sister cannot get citizenship. Your mother may have a difference situation where you can get it to but if it's your grandparents that are allowing her to get it you probably cannot.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:56 PM   #362

I only get the added benefit of sponsorship by a parent who is a US Citizen, I can't remember if this allows me to cut the line for green card by 1 year or 5 years, it's been a while since I chatted with an immigration lawyer.

My mom married a 'murican, she can get her citizenship anytime now, has had the green card for a long time.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:11 PM   #363
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
The longer this campaign goes, the more I see how Harper and the Conservatives are about old politics...playing on people's emotions and fears rather than trying to win on actual policy. I can't stand this way of thinking...talking about relatively irrelevant issues like niqabs and fear of marijuana instead of things that matter.

Really who cares what some lady wears on her driver's license? In reality it's an overblown issue that stems from a false association of the niqab with terrorism and religious fanatics. Calling marijuana "infinitely worse" than tobacco just shows how out of touch he is with science. While we don't know what the effects of marijuana are long term, it damn well hasn't killed nearly the number of people tobacco has. Legalization would bring in tax revenue lost to organized crime. The war on drugs is an expensive one based in some ridiculous idea that drugs are immoral. These aren't the fights that I want my government fighting. I want my government to be economically responsible and that's about it.

But this shit works. Especially on older people. We might see the Cons win a minority the way things are going.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:15 PM   #364
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
Everything about Harper and the Conservatives is old politics... It's in their damn name!

They know young people just don't bother voting. Old people and stupid people will easily put them in power.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-04-2015, 12:04 AM   #365

Another example of Harper's play to emulate American political dysfunction (yes I know it's old and Timpo'd but still relevant): Tories blasted for handbook on paralyzing Parliament | CTV News

Tories blasted for handbook on paralyzing Parliament
Spoiler!

Last edited by Bouncing Bettys; 10-04-2015 at 12:25 AM.
Bouncing Bettys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:07 AM   #366

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Really who cares what some lady wears on her driver's license?
I'll admit I haven't looked into this issue much, but if you're allowed to cover your face for a photo ID does that not completely defeat the purpose of photo ID?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2015, 10:47 AM   #367
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
I want to wear one when I go through the border and airport security, it's my right!

Or grocery shopping or the liquor store for that matter, how dare they descriminate against my beliefs!

Although anyone wearing one probably isn't buying liquor lol
Old 10-04-2015, 12:02 PM   #368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I want to wear one when I go through the border and airport security, it's my right!

Or grocery shopping or the liquor store for that matter, how dare they descriminate against my beliefs!

Although anyone wearing one probably isn't buying liquor lol
Just move somewhere a lot colder.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:08 PM   #369
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
Unfortunately, many people are single-issue voters, especially in America where you see Republicans pandering to their base on issues like abortion, gay marriage, guns, Iran nukes, etc. Canada, especially under Harper, has begun using similar tactics so we see the focus shifting from broad, important issues like the economy and the environment to little issues like niqabs and terrorism. It's not some hidden agenda. It's pandering to simpletons because they aren't apathetic over single issues and will run to the polls.
Very well said Sir. They are basically the Tea Party of the North. Using Fear Mongering, and Racially Dividing the Country.... Old Stock Canadians.

This is why it is so important to Vote this time around.
booge_man is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2015, 08:23 PM   #370
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
NO you can't. A country can NOT deport someone unless they hold another citizenship.
Yes you can

https://www.cba.org/CBA/submissions/pdf/14-22-eng.pdf

See page 20 and onwards
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:32 PM   #371
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
But this shit works. Especially on older people. We might see the Cons win a minority the way things are going.
This is why it's important that everyone goes out to vote this time, especially the younger population.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:41 PM   #372
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts

Regardless of the winner, I just want this to be our new National Anthem
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:20 PM   #373
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
This is why it's important that everyone goes out to vote this time, especially the younger population.
In total agreement with that. Well said.
booge_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:33 PM   #374

Just checked the votetogether.ca site for my ridding and hoilly crap!!! The con is in second by a lot in 2 different polls

Leadnow Sept 18 - 21 Dogwood Initiative Oct 1 - 5

Mark MacDonald
Conservative 24% 26%
Sheila Malcolmson
NDP 34% 34%
Paul Manly
Green Party 24% 21%
Tim Tessier
Liberal 17% 18%

Things are looking up.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:33 AM   #375
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Im voting Trudeau...because he'll decriminalize marijuana.

It strikes a nerve in me that a simple issue can go on for this long.
It's inevitable that marijuana will be legalize with millennials growing up and these old farts dying.

We need to stop with old school fear mongering and start thinking progressively.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by: