REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Internet TV Bundle Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/706966-internet-tv-bundle-thread.html)

lilaznviper 07-15-2016 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syee (Post 8772710)
Saw this on RFD today. Seems like a good deal since this is pretty much what I pay for Internet 30 outside of the promo period. I think this is what guurl is referring to?

I may look into this since it'll be a huge jump in speed for not a whole lot of additional cost.

Upgrade To Shaw WideOpen Internet | 150 Mbps Speeds, High Speed Internet + 1TB Data

looks like the plan is good for the first year i save 15 dollars per month then after words i have to pay way more. I guess i'll stick with my old 50mpbs + personal tv for $131/month since the broadband 50 is good enough for me.

VR6GTI 07-16-2016 09:40 AM

After using shaw for 11 years I switched to Telus at my new place
Wish I did this sooner. It's about the same price shaw and Telus but customer experience so far is much better, handling your online account is like night and day difference and how your tv box functions is way smother. The options on your cable box how you can customize everything it's like i have gone into the future with Telus.

Mr.HappySilp 07-16-2016 10:09 AM

Thinking of switching Telus. i live around the BCIT around just wondering if anyone living there can tell me if the their service is good in that area?

Ludepower 07-16-2016 10:10 AM

telus is better. i dont have to worry about lag at 5pm when everyone is home slowing down the internet.

godwin 07-16-2016 01:29 PM

Get both services in your house to overlap so you can compare apples with apples. Go with the one that is quickest (obviously).

These days your own router can be a bottleneck too, especially if you run a VPN. Even an i3 that is 3-4 years old will outrun most routers. I repurpose some old servers retired from work (no fans of course). Laptops with ExpressCard slots can do that same job too. I use PfSense, but Sophos makes a free one that also include their Virus scanning software built in. Which is useful especially if you get guests who bring in devices that are rooted with apps side loaded and god knows what had been done with them.

Numbers don?t lie?it?s time to build your own router | Ars Technica

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8772914)
Thinking of switching Telus. i live around the BCIT around just wondering if anyone living there can tell me if the their service is good in that area?

noTirl 07-17-2016 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilaznviper (Post 8772749)
looks like the plan is good for the first year i save 15 dollars per month then after words i have to pay way more. I guess i'll stick with my old 50mpbs + personal tv for $131/month since the broadband 50 is good enough for me.

Actually anyone on Broadband 50+/Internet 60+ would save money by switching to this new plan. With the rate increase coming this August, you can shave a few bucks off. I work at Shaw, but I'm not a phone rep.

quasi 07-17-2016 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noTirl (Post 8773103)
Actually anyone on Broadband 50+/Internet 60+ would save money by switching to this new plan. With the rate increase coming this August, you can shave a few bucks off. I work at Shaw, but I'm not a phone rep.

Is this available for current shaw clients? I'm currently being charged $60 for popular TV & $88 for Broadband $50 this looks like it would save me money.

noTirl 07-17-2016 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quasi (Post 8773116)
Is this available for current shaw clients? I'm currently being charged $60 for popular TV & $88 for Broadband $50 this looks like it would save me money.

Yep, current customers can get on it too. 79.90 year 1 and 2 for current customers. You can pick internet or internet+tv contract. Be specific when you do cause they might sign you up for both incase you only wanted the internet contract.

JordanLee 07-20-2016 01:51 PM

Just phoned into Telus Retention to try to match it. Rep stated that Shaw offering 150 could be a pipe dream as the fine details do state "up to 150mbps".

Got offered Telus 50 w/ Optik 4K box ($45 a month) for a year.

All in, Optik TV, internet, and home phone for 100+ tax isnt bad. After a year it does go up to regular pricing but its still cheaper than what were paying now for Telus 25 bundle which is around $190 a month.

syee 07-20-2016 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JordanLee (Post 8774148)
Just phoned into Telus Retention to try to match it. Rep stated that Shaw offering 150 could be a pipe dream as the fine details do state "up to 150mbps".

That's a pretty bold statement for them to make. I'm on Internet30 right now and I can consistently get 4MB/s (which is 32Mb/s) on Shaw. Telus likes to throw out the node over saturation as a downside, but I have to admit, they've made huge strides from when I was last with Shaw 5 years ago and my Internet was pretty much unusable in the evenings.

There's other aspects of Shaw that bug me though - which is why I'm waiting for Telus Fibre to make it's appearance in my area in August before I decide to jump on the Internet150 bandwagon and lock myself in to a 2 year contract with Shaw.

guurl 07-20-2016 02:24 PM

You can honestly say the same thing with Telus 50mps too. It'll be "Up to 50mbps" but I'd be getting 20-25mbps lol

JordanLee 07-20-2016 02:36 PM

^ I just noticed that on the website too, states 20-50. Man what a terrible range haha

RickyTan3 07-20-2016 05:55 PM

http://imgur.com/61VebNi

LOl at people listening to telus rep

Ch28 07-20-2016 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8772914)

We were on Telus for a few years like a year or two ago and their speed was always consistent with what was advertised.

Obsideon 07-23-2016 09:06 PM

Moving into the a condo for the first time later this year. Is there usually a "preferred" ISP that each building uses? I emailed the strata agent and he said "Telus should be a good bet" which basically tells me nothing.
I was hoping that the building would be setup with Novus but no dice.
Do I just call any company (Shaw/Telus) and have them come in and hook it up?
I probably won't be getting any TV/Phone package unless there is a super sweet deal.
I only need internet, and not too fussy on cap or speed as I mostly just YouTube and play some games here and there. No hardcore downloading/uploading (maybe 1 movie a month).
I prefer consistency and reliability over high speeds. I don't want to be lagging out mid-game cuz internet craps out.
The building is by Yukon and W. 2nd, what do you guys suggest I do?
TIA

knight604 07-23-2016 09:11 PM

Novus if they have it.

SoNaRWaVe 07-23-2016 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JordanLee (Post 8774148)

Got offered Telus 50 w/ Optik 4K box ($45 a month) for a year.

All in, Optik TV, internet, and home phone for 100+ tax isnt bad. After a year it does go up to regular pricing but its still cheaper than what were paying now for Telus 25 bundle which is around $190 a month.

my internet 150 speedtest:
http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/...psl5no3io5.png

Quote:

Originally Posted by knight604 (Post 8774972)
Novus if they have it.

+1 for novus

Nlkko 07-23-2016 11:22 PM

Shaw 150 is solid. Telus just doesn't hold a candle right now. Their Fiber offering isnt even available to most people.

I upgraded to Shaw 150 from their 60 plan.

Obsideon i would check with Novus. You can look up bbuildings that have service on their website.

Jonydakiller 07-23-2016 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ludepower (Post 8772916)
telus is better. i dont have to worry about lag at 5pm when everyone is home slowing down the internet.

WOW...talk about living in the past..time to move on buddy.
Shaws pipeline is way bigger than you think. Offering 150 to everyone isn't hitting anywhere close to saturation nowdays.
The same pipeline will also be used for the next X1 system from Comcast for retreiving your TV contents off cloud.

noTirl 07-24-2016 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obsideon (Post 8774971)
Moving into the a condo for the first time later this year. Is there usually a "preferred" ISP that each building uses? I emailed the strata agent and he said "Telus should be a good bet" which basically tells me nothing.
I was hoping that the building would be setup with Novus but no dice.
Do I just call any company (Shaw/Telus) and have them come in and hook it up?
I probably won't be getting any TV/Phone package unless there is a super sweet deal.
I only need internet, and not too fussy on cap or speed as I mostly just YouTube and play some games here and there. No hardcore downloading/uploading (maybe 1 movie a month).
I prefer consistency and reliability over high speeds. I don't want to be lagging out mid-game cuz internet craps out.
The building is by Yukon and W. 2nd, what do you guys suggest I do?
TIA

I've used both in the last 2 years and they're pretty much the same from an end users point. This may be cause of the neighborhood I'm in but not much congestion between the two. When I did have problems they were both able to get an appointment within the week. Had my modems swapped a few times just cause I wanted the newest ones.

I do work at Shaw now which is why I've used both. I know ours has a slightly higher ping than Telus sometimes, but its within single digit difference. If you need more info on what Shaw has let me know.

Obsideon 07-26-2016 03:53 PM

Already checked, no Novus in my building :okay:

Tegra_Devil 07-28-2016 05:02 PM

thanks for the info! switched to shaw 150 for 79$ awesome deal!

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5511650908.png

CRS 07-28-2016 09:50 PM

Also switched.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5512016759.png

Are you guys bridging through your own router or directly into the modem?

Tegra_Devil 07-29-2016 09:13 AM

Using shaws hitron modem only

CRS 07-29-2016 03:37 PM

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5514081990.png

Bridged the modem and today's speed is much better.