REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-29-2019, 08:12 AM   #626
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
That's exactly it! All this so called fuel savings is bullshit when you consider the model 3 is 50k vs a base model corolla is like 20k. You'll never make back the gas money.
But we can't really compare a corolla to a model 3 in terms of features, creature comfort, feel and finish.
Advertisement
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-29-2019, 08:14 AM   #627
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,420 Times in 5,101 Posts
Quote:
That's exactly it! All this so called fuel savings is bullshit when you consider the model 3 is 50k vs a base model corolla is like 20k. You'll never make back the gas money.
Exactly... I have a friend who just took delivery of a Model3... the husband drives 5km to/from work every day and the rationale is to save money through government rebates, gas and he can charge for free at work in the daytime.

They're selling their current vehicle, a super low mileage Toyota Matrix to make room for it.

I asked her to explain how spending $50k+ on a new Tesla saves money on driving an already paid for Matrix that will never have problems... especially given he drives 10km a day tops. Silence... and then some mumbling about gas prices.

It's a lifestyle choice. Pure and simple. I want something new... I want something shiny... I want to play with tech. And that's totally fine, their choice, I just wish people would be honest about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
But we can't really compare a corolla to a model 3 in terms of features
Why not? What does a base Model3 have that a base Corolla doesn't nowadays besides some of the phone control tech Tesla puts in their cars? We're not in an era where base cars have manual windows and locks anymore. Air conditioning? Okay, go up to the Corolla LE at $21,700 then...
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2019, 08:50 AM   #628
Media Officer / MOD

While the 3 doesn't have the best fit and finish, the materials used is still better than that of the corolla but I do hear where you're coming from. Just saying maybe something bit more upscale like the Mazda 3 maybe more comparable
Old 05-29-2019, 09:07 AM   #629
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,667 Times in 3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
But we can't really compare a corolla to a model 3 in terms of features
Yah bro, the Tesla would loose out due to Toyota safety sense 2.0 being standard on even the base models
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2019, 09:39 AM   #630
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
You drive a Corolla?
Old 05-29-2019, 09:55 AM   #631
Performance Moderator

^
Dude badhobz LOVES Corollas... it's his 2nd favourite car after the SC430
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2019, 12:28 PM   #632

Thanked 8,910 Times in 3,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Adding mechanical complexity, cost, and weight isn't going to increase reliability. Electric motors running at top speed typically isn't an issue. We have some 50 HP fans at my work that have been running 24/7/365 (except a few hours a year for maintenance) for 25 years without any problems.
Isn't the heat from inrush current usually what's harder on motors than runtime? I know the ones I deal with from time to time have each startup equal to X number of running hours (maintenance wise) and if you start it up too many times in an hour it locks out until it's been given enough time to cool. I assume they must do something to keep the magnetic field from collapsing otherwise city driving would nuke these things pretty fast.

Quote:
Electric motors are also typically most efficient near their top speed.
Which they aren't at most of the time. I would think if you could gear it down it could run closer to top speed all the time and gain efficiency, but maybe not enough to offset the added weight and driveline losses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I asked her to explain how spending $50k+ on a new Tesla saves money on driving an already paid for Matrix that will never have problems... especially given he drives 10km a day tops. Silence... and then some mumbling about gas prices.
10km/day, say 10L/100km, even at $2/L that'll take 96 years to pay off with fuel savings
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:43 PM   #633

Thanked 8,667 Times in 3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
^
Dude badhobz LOVES Corollas... it's his 2nd favourite car after the SC430
Will you marry me ?!
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2019, 03:58 PM   #634
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Quote:
Adding mechanical complexity, cost, and weight isn't going to increase reliability. Electric motors running at top speed typically isn't an issue. We have some 50 HP fans at my work that have been running 24/7/365 (except a few hours a year for maintenance) for 25 years without any problems.
I'm not talking about wear and tear from the spinning. I'm talking about wear and tear from spinning at high RPM while taking jolts from the road. I don't think these fans you're talking about would last 25 years if they were constantly shaken hard while in operation.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:54 PM   #635

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
I'm not talking about wear and tear from the spinning. I'm talking about wear and tear from spinning at high RPM while taking jolts from the road. I don't think these fans you're talking about would last 25 years if they were constantly shaken hard while in operation.
BC ferries uses electric motors to drive the ferries. Also cars use electric fans and those seem to last.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:07 PM   #636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
BC ferries uses electric motors to drive the ferries. Also cars use electric fans and those seem to last.
Do they go 18k RPM? Things go out of balanced in the car all the time like drive shafts. They start to wobble and vibrate. The faster they spin, the more it vibrates eventually destroying itself. Think of your washing machine on the spin cycle when the balance is off. If the motor becomes unbalanced after hitting a pothole, you may not notice it at first but it'll eventually wreck itself. It'll get there faster at higher RPMs. If the motor runs at a lower RPM through the use of a transmission, it may last a lot longer.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:05 PM   #637
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
sounded like 3 hours of driving around in anxiety finding a charger

and 8 hour drive vs 5 daily is a big deal whether you're only away for a long weekend/2 week trip

what's a tank of gas daily when you're on a vacation? i dont mind spending a bit more on essentials when you're supposed to be relaxed

again, i'm for EVs on many aspects, but road trip is not one of them, not until there are chargers everywhere and portable cells you can carry as extras
You have never done one in a Tesla I assume?

The Tesla nav is so good that it can plan everything for you... including the supercharger point you should stop. No range anxiety... I mean, in the city maybe... but not in a roadtrip.

Quote:
Do they go 18k RPM? Things go out of balanced in the car all the time like drive shafts. They start to wobble and vibrate. The faster they spin, the more it vibrates eventually destroying itself. Think of your washing machine on the spin cycle when the balance is off. If the motor becomes unbalanced after hitting a pothole, you may not notice it at first but it'll eventually wreck itself. It'll get there faster at higher RPMs. If the motor runs at a lower RPM through the use of a transmission, it may last a lot longer.
My Dyson spins at 120,000RPM and it had been going strong for the last 3yrs I've owned it... used daily too.

Things get wonky in ICE because of the combustion... everytime it ignites, you are degrading the engine. Electrical motors work on a very different principle. They are not perfect, but they cannot be compared apple to apple.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:08 PM   #638
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
but the model 3 isn't competing with a base model corrola, a better comparison would be the accord.
Koflach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:14 PM   #639

Quote:
Good thing the Tesla does not have a traditional drive shaft.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:22 PM   #640

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Good thing the Tesla does not have a traditional drive shaft.

Neither does a washing machine.... Things that spin that fast need to be perfectly balanced. You may not notice an out of balanced tire when it's rotating slowly like while driving in the city and it'll probably last forever but you sure notice it on the highway. Spin that tire to 18k rpm and your wheel bearing is gone.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:47 PM   #641

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
My Dyson spins at 120,000RPM and it had been going strong for the last 3yrs I've owned it... used daily too.
Again, it's not experiencing any violent lateral shocks to the motor while in operation so not an apples to apples comparison.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:11 PM   #642

Quote:
Again, it's not experiencing any violent lateral shocks to the motor while in operation so not an apples to apples comparison.
Lateral shocks are relative. I don't think the amount of G I'm putting on my Dyson why suddenly moving it up and down or side to side or even rotational movement while vacuuming at full speed is any less than what a Tesla would experience (again, relatively speaking) while going on the road. If anything, I'd say that my Dyson experience significantly higher degree of shocks, and yet, it works just fine.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:18 PM   #643

Looks like it actually is a problem. I'd be interested to find out if these cars with motor failures were mainly city or highway miles.

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors...n_tesla_motor/
Old 05-30-2019, 09:45 AM   #644

Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,902 Posts
Model 3 Slayer!

whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2019, 12:39 PM   #645
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Why did they use the AWD and not the performance version of the model 3 in the video?
Koflach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:11 PM   #646
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koflach View Post
Why did they use the AWD and not the performance version of the model 3 in the video?
It's likely a friend's, and not a press car. So it's whoever's car they can scare up.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:28 AM   #647
Media Officer / MOD

This, no press Tesla in Canada
Old 05-31-2019, 08:19 AM   #648
Performance Moderator

The performance version comes in AWD too that’s what my friend has...
Old 06-01-2019, 12:13 AM   #649

Helping in-laws to gather infos.

Any recommended electrician to install a charger? (either Nema or Tesla Wall charger)

TIA!
Old 06-01-2019, 07:48 PM   #650
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Don't know if its mentioned but BC government offers free chargers.Just pay for electrician

https://zapbc.ca/

Edit: sorry nvm it just ended
aznfreak is offline   Reply With Quote