REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:31 PM   #5851
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,950 Times in 585 Posts
Oilers win! What a hard fought game. Kesler shut mcd down pretty hard.
Advertisement
RCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2017, 10:37 PM   #5852
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
What's the point of hiring then firing willie when they were just half assing it for the last two years? Poor guy. The guy literally had no chance to succeed.
He is a garbage coach.

Year 1: Pretty much kept all the lines and d pairings the same for most of the year, rolled four lines with next to zero attempts to get matchups or change in-game strategies, team finished top 10 in the league and lost in the first round. Willie widely criticized for lack of adjustments in the playoffs.

Year 2: Lindenning cleaned house in the summer, left Willie with a substantially shallower roster and forced his hand on playing the kids who had no business in the NHL. Willie shook up the roster from the previous year to try to maintain depth on the 4 lines, but it didn't work very well. Ended up benching the kids in most 3rd periods and tried to get them better matchups. Sutter injured most of the year meant Horvat's and Henrik's line had to do most of the heavy lifting defensively. Offense suffered tremendously. 3rd worst record in the league.

Year 3: Willie implies lineup decisions were forces by management in year 2, but he'll have more autonomy in year 3. Year starts okay with a bunch of flukey wins, injuries start to hit most notably to Tanev and Edler. As more injuries pile up, AHLers are recalled. Willie opts to saddle the Sedins with an AHLer for most of the season; performance drops through the floor, people blame the Sedins for some idiotic reason. Willie just seems out to completely fuck with people's heads, making the most nonsensical decisions anyone can ponder. Team routinely gives up 30+ shots/game, many nights over 40. Vets Burrows and Hansen traded away, team completely implodes in their absence. 2nd worst record in the league.

It's not all Willie's fault as Lindenning certainly should take a large chunk of the blame for the team's awful performance in years 2 and 3, but Willie is still not a good NHL coach. Just far too stubborn. Spending to the cap and finishing bottom 3 two years in a row should've gotten all of them fired, not just Willie.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2017, 11:15 PM   #5853
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
dont forget to add worst GoalsFor in canucks history i think ?

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:19 AM   #5854
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Lol, well done NBC

fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2017, 09:49 AM   #5855
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Toronto won a draft lottery with 2 elite prospects at the top of the draft, which saved them at least 2 years on their rebuild.

I don't count 13-14 as a "rebuild" year, I count it as a decent team that fell off the rails halfway through the season because of an insane coach that the GM and the players didn't want. A lesser roster with a shittier coach made the playoffs the next season (because he had roster depth to work with which Lindenning have pissed away with garbage trades and signings).
Basically 14 / 15 / 16 draft years, Toronto got Nylander, Marner, and Matthews.

We got Virtanen, Boeser, and Juolevi.

Matthews was basically drafting a top line player and putting him in the line up. Nylander and Marner were surprising as they were able to make the big jump into the NHL with their lack of size to a lot of people.

Not saying Canucks did poorly but I think we are on the right track and need more time for them to develop whereas Toronto lucked out with Nylander and Marner scoring in their 3rd and 2nd year from draft plus injecting Matthews into your line up.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:55 AM   #5856
My homepage has been set to RS

I sincerely hope we trade the Twins sine we're finally going full rebuild. It's been so long since I've been excited about this team. Also ship off Ericsson for a bag of pucks please.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:04 AM   #5857
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
The difference between JV and Nylander is JV is big and physical and Nylander is skiller with high hockey IQ
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:28 AM   #5858
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
I sincerely hope we trade the Twins sine we're finally going full rebuild. It's been so long since I've been excited about this team. Also ship off Ericsson for a bag of pucks please.
Pipedream.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:43 AM   #5859
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oxbig View Post
The difference between JV and Nylander is JV is big and physical and Nylander is skiller with high hockey IQ
hell...kassian is big and have lots of skills.

cody was with skill and high hockey iq.

Work ethic is bigger than anything imo.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:47 PM   #5860
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
I sincerely hope we trade the Twins sine we're finally going full rebuild. It's been so long since I've been excited about this team.
Do you even hockey, bro?
The Sedin's are like Jumbo Joe Thornton in San Jose, or MAF in Pittsburgh. They are franchise players. Their personas go far beyond what they do on the ice. Their philanthropy, the power they wield in the locker room, and the community support that they show goes far beyond what we're ever going to get for them.

The NHL trade market has proven to be worse than the used car market. Guys like Burrows are going for nothing out there. Yet they're still great players (as shown by his playoff performance). The idea of trading the Sedins is indicative of the Vancouver fan base. Let's blow it up for drama sake! Let's hire Torts! Why not hire Bertuzzi as player development coach!

ugh.....

So instead of pushing your stupid agenda, I recommend that you follow the crowd of other bandwagon jumpers and go see the Whitecaps play. We don't need your kind wearing the blue and green.

#idiot
#ibfailedpost
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2017, 01:03 PM   #5861

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
trading the Sedins at the deadline next year might actually be doable

i'm not a cap expert and correct me if i'm wrong but here are the facts:
(using this as my source and example)
https://www.nhl.com/news/trade-deadline-q-a/c-409700

assuming 186 days in a season and 42 days remaining at the time of the trade
H. Sedin would have $1.6M cap hit remaining

Canucks can only retain salary on one more player so retaining 50% of Danny's contract is $800K

So Sedins can really be had for a total cap hit of $2.4M for the remainder of the 2018 season, more or less if Canucks are willing to eat up more salary

~$2.4M or less is a drop in the bucket for contenders especially if they can sweeten the deal and throw more in by giving us a shitty contract on top of high picks and possible blue chip prospect(s)

If a contender was willing to pay the price and the Sedins are willing to go for a Cup I don't see why not. They're not gonna win a cup in Vancouver and they honestly deserve at least 1 more crack at it. That said, if they wanna stay, no one has the right to say they should go. They deserve that much, at least.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:43 PM   #5862
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Fuck that!
Put a real team together and give the twins some hope. If you think that we as fans are pissed about the Canucks, then you've never been in a dressing room before. The players are twice as pissed as we are because their livelihoods depend on genos, apples, and wins.

Put a real team together, and the twins would make the most dynamic third line in the NHL. Plus I guarantee that they would sign for peanuts the next time around just so they can finish their careers in the city that drafted them.

I'm a realist. Don't get me wrong, I know the Sedins aren't the same players they were 5 years ago. But this goes beyond what happens in the rink. Linden was traded near the end of his career, so he knows what it's like to be crumpled up and thrown away. I would like to think that he won't make the same mistakes that Tambellini and mister douchnozzle, Mike Keenan did.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:55 PM   #5863

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Do you even hockey, bro?
The Sedin's are like Jumbo Joe Thornton in San Jose, or MAF in Pittsburgh. They are franchise players. Their personas go far beyond what they do on the ice. Their philanthropy, the power they wield in the locker room, and the community support that they show goes far beyond what we're ever going to get for them.

The NHL trade market has proven to be worse than the used car market. Guys like Burrows are going for nothing out there. Yet they're still great players (as shown by his playoff performance). The idea of trading the Sedins is indicative of the Vancouver fan base. Let's blow it up for drama sake! Let's hire Torts! Why not hire Bertuzzi as player development coach!

ugh.....

So instead of pushing your stupid agenda, I recommend that you follow the crowd of other bandwagon jumpers and go see the Whitecaps play. We don't need your kind wearing the blue and green.

#idiot
#ibfailedpost
Stupid agenda? You're actually an idiot. Keeping them around in a full rebuild is actually disrespectful. They deserve a chance to win a championship (if they want to) that's what any competitive athlete wants to do before they hang them up.

Their legacy in Vancouver is cemented, playing for another team at the tail end of their careers is not going to tarnish anything.

What do you mean Burrows went for nothing? We got Jonathan Dahlen a blue chip prospect for a guy with a couple years left of high level play. Do you even follow the Canucks?

#idiot

This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2017, 02:01 PM   #5864
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,582 Times in 4,298 Posts
how's it disrespectful when they said they don't want to leave and also want to be part of the rebuild? They love life in Vancouver and the Canucks are the only team they want to play for cup or no cup.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2017, 02:04 PM   #5865

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
how's it disrespectful when they said they don't want to leave and also want to be part of the rebuild? They love life in Vancouver and the Canucks are the only team they want to play for cup or no cup.
Do you honestly think they would publicly say "yes we want out here asap to win a cup"?

That was also before Linden just recently stated they're going full rebuild, who knows what they're thinking now. However I also believe if they want to stay through the rebuild they completely deserve to finish their contracts here.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:22 PM   #5866
In RS I Trust

They said the word rebuild before Linden did and yes I really believe they want to stay here since they are more than just hockey players, the type of people and the things they do for our community is just as important to them. You have to take a look at the bigger picture, it's not only about hockey or the trophy is about their family and the life they enjoy in Vancouver.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:23 PM   #5867

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Quote:
Put a real team together and give the twins some hope.
Ok. Easier said than done.

Quote:
If you think that we as fans are pissed about the Canucks, then you've never been in a dressing room before.
Who's pissed? I don't see anyone pissed. John Horgan? You could hear the city sigh when Linden finally manned up and said rebuild.

Quote:
Linden was traded near the end of his career, so he knows what it's like to be crumpled up and thrown away.
What are you talking about? Linden was 28 having a down season because of the Messier Mess when he was traded by Keenan. By no means was he at the end of his career. He was railroaded sure but getting Bertuzzi, McCabe and a pick back was by no means "being crumpled up and thrown away."
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2017, 02:32 PM   #5868

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
They said the word rebuild before Linden did and yes I really believe they want to stay here since they are more than just hockey players, the type of people and the things they do for our community is just as important to them. You have to take a look at the bigger picture, it's not only about hockey or the trophy is about their family and the life they enjoy in Vancouver.
Find me a quote. I am quite sure everyone in the Canucks org has been using the "retool" term until Linden said "rebuild" yesterday.

Also they only have one year left on their current deal. If they get traded at the deadline they'd be away from Vancouver for a few months...their families wouldn't have to move anywhere. It's probably their last deal anyways and they're going back to Sweden to finish their careers like they've stated in the past.
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-27-2017, 02:47 PM   #5869
In RS I Trust

Quote:
Find me a quote. I am quite sure everyone in the Canucks org has been using the "retool" term until Linden said "rebuild" yesterday.
Happy now?

Sedin twins committed to Canucks' rebuild after another disappointing season

Quote:
VANCOUVER — Aware things could get a lot worse before they get better, the aging faces of the Vancouver Canucks remain on board with the franchise's plan to rebuild.Henrik and Daniel Sedin met the media along with their teammates on Tuesday to pick over the carcass of a dismal 2016-17 campaign that saw the club finish 29th overall in the NHL standings.The talented twins, who will be 37 when the puck drops next season, said despite the long path back to respectability, they're committed to the program of bringing more youngsters into the lineup as they enter the final year of their contracts."We've always been," said Henrik Sedin. "We understand that it's going to be a rebuild, a retooling or whatever you want to call it. It was going to take a couple years."That's where we are."
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2017, 03:01 PM   #5870

Well, retooling is also said in that quote so...anyways it's just a very PR statement.

Martin St Louis also said he wanted to remain a lifetime Lightning before demanding to be traded to NY. Point is it is beneficial to both parties if the twins get traded (if the twins want to of course).
Old 04-27-2017, 03:12 PM   #5871
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Sedins aren't going anywhere. And, I would also suggest that the twins re-signing is not our of the realm of possibility either.
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:23 PM   #5872
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,438 Times in 5,110 Posts
I can't remember where it was said, but didn't the Sedins already say publicly about a month or so back that they would just retire if they got traded anywhere else or couldn't re-sign in Vancouver?
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:25 PM   #5873
x_x

Quote:
Well, retooling is also said in that quote so...anyways it's just a very PR statement.

Martin St Louis also said he wanted to remain a lifetime Lightning before demanding to be traded to NY. Point is it is beneficial to both parties if the twins get traded (if the twins want to of course).
The Sedin's are not going anywhere.

The Martin St Louis thing was a lot more complicated with him being snubbed from that Olympic 2010 roster by Steve Yzerman.
jdmhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2017, 05:34 PM   #5874

fully expect the sedins to finish the season with the canucks and then possibly sign 1 or 2 1yr deals at a cheap price
if they don't lose too much speed, that's a better 4th line than anything weve had in a long time

Last edited by dbaz; 04-27-2017 at 06:19 PM.
dbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:32 PM   #5875
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I can't remember where it was said, but didn't the Sedins already say publicly about a month or so back that they would just retire if they got traded anywhere else or couldn't re-sign in Vancouver?
I just remember them saying that they want to remain in Vancouver until they retire. They also said that they're really considering just living here full time, which makes sense since they've lived in Vancouver for over half their life.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote