REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:18 AM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
Gateway is a sacrificial lamb now that it's seen all this opposition. I think they would have still built it if they were given the choice.

When oil prices rise again, they will not have a hard time finding a customer in Asia, which was the original reason why they wanted to build it.
Lots of assumptions in that post, the opposition is easy to overcome, you just pay the Natives their fair share and instead of opposing the pipeline they become vehement supporters - the strongest possible lobby group you can send to Ottawa is the Natives.

Here's an interesting piece of news nobody has yet, TCPL is putting the KXL assets up for sale (Line pipe, valves, pumps, motors, VFD's, camps, Etc), they have effectively cancelled the project, despite the fact that they will soon have a pipeline friendly president in office.

TCPL simply does not have a customer for the volume - same story as Gateway.

Mind you there is one difference, KXL was fully funded by TCPL, ouch, talk about sunk costs.
Advertisement
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2016, 09:29 AM   #27
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Gateway would've fucked us in BC hard if a spill ever happened, thus I agree with the rejection and approval of KM and Line 3.

IIRC reading through the notes on Gateway, in Alberta the liability would've been 100% covered by Suncor, yet when coming through BC, the liability was split and capped thus burdening the BC government. (Ie. fucking us tax payers in the end)

Regardless, oil is slowly picking up, and another pipeline proposal will come, it's just a matter of time.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:48 AM   #28

Any coastal spill would be terrible, I would argue the consequences of a spill near the GVA would be more devastating than a spill near Kitimat.

With regards to spill clean up costs;

According to the NEB's Pipeline Safety Act, companies have unlimited liability when proven to be at fault or negligent, they are ultimately responsible for the safe operation of the asset and the costs associated with spill clean up in the event of a loss of primary containment.

Additionally, the absolute liability provision means that companies operating major oil pipelines will now also be liable for all costs and damages up to $1 billion, regardless of fault.

So hypothetically speaking, even if some lunatic bombs the pipeline and causes a spill, the first 1B in clean up costs are the responsibility of the pipeline company.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2016, 10:14 AM   #29
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
Gateway would've fucked us in BC hard if a spill ever happened, thus I agree with the rejection and approval of KM and Line 3.
What's more likely to have a spill though, a brand new pipeline built to the latest standards and safety regulations, or a bunch of old train cars and tanker trucks?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2016, 10:20 AM   #30
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
That's why there's so much irony in the opposition to twinning the pipeline

The new line is probably 100X safer than the existing old line is
Old 11-30-2016, 10:31 AM   #31

Yeah the obvious failure on the part of the protesters, oppose pipelines on the notion that it's bad for the climate while unintentionally supporting other shipping methods which are much more damaging to the climate.

Never mind the hypocrisy of protesters living a lifestyle that involves a tremendous amount of petroleum based product consumption.

Ultimately it's all about risk, perhaps there is slightly less risk of major spill catastrophe shipping by train simply due to the volume differential... but there is certainly far more long term airborne emissions related risk with shipping by train.

Meh, gotta suck this shit out of the ground now, 30 years from now it may be virtually worthless.. then we will see how great Canada's economy really is.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:59 PM   #32
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Lots of assumptions in that post, the opposition is easy to overcome, you just pay the Natives their fair share and instead of opposing the pipeline they become vehement supporters - the strongest possible lobby group you can send to Ottawa is the Natives.

Here's an interesting piece of news nobody has yet, TCPL is putting the KXL assets up for sale (Line pipe, valves, pumps, motors, VFD's, camps, Etc), they have effectively cancelled the project, despite the fact that they will soon have a pipeline friendly president in office.

Mind you there is one difference, KXL was fully funded by TCPL, ouch, talk about sunk costs.
It wasn't only the natives that were protesting against Gateway. There was a lot of protest in Victoria and Vancouver as well against it. Many were campaigning against the pipeline.

Damn, I was hoping that KXL would go through too. It's kind of sad to hear that it won't be built, then again, it's been stalled for like 5 years now.

Last edited by DragonChi; 11-30-2016 at 05:26 PM.
DragonChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:57 PM   #33
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post

What, TCPL is selling KXL? Is this some nonpublic info?
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:44 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
What, TCPL is selling KXL? Is this some nonpublic info?
The asset sale brochure was circulated to me a couple days ago, so I would have to say the company does not feel that it is "material" in terms of requiring a press release etc.

The brochure does not state anything about cancelling the project... though it would be reasonable to assume that is the case given the nature of the brochure.

If anyone would like to buy insider info feel free to PM me lol

Spoiler!
Old 11-30-2016, 09:21 PM   #35
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
^^...i'll take 1 million worth of shares for each
Old 11-30-2016, 09:23 PM   #36
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I didn't expect to see a BC pipeline approved at all, so having at least 1 go forward under JT is surprising

Last edited by MrPhreak; 08-20-2017 at 02:04 PM.
MrPhreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:30 PM   #37
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,811 Times in 8,187 Posts
And here come the oil spills
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2018, 07:33 PM   #38
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,758 Times in 3,869 Posts
nah, everyone in BC is just a cunt for not accepting it with open arms

edit....

Quote:
after about 100 litres of crude spilled from a pump station in Darfield, B.C.
i believe spills larger than that have happened at quick lube places, no one really hears anything about that. its been many many many years since ive worked somewhere with oil. i believe for gas (state) anything more than 100L must be reported. for most liquid petroleum products, like gasoline or lubricants, you dont actually need to report it until its over 200L. although emergency containment protocols are suppose to be put in place over 100L (if it happened in vancouver at a quick lube place or something, hazmat and fire department are suppose to be called)
Old 05-27-2018, 07:42 PM   #39

Yeah it wasn't a huge spill or anything.. I wonder do trains and trucks spill this much all the time, but it just doesn't get reported?
Old 05-27-2018, 07:45 PM   #40
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,758 Times in 3,869 Posts
aaaaaabsolutely. think of all the construction and industry going all around the province all the time. hell, just one 4x4 rig who punctures an oil pan can dump 15L+ of oil onto the trail, and i can only assume that happens on a daily basis (in a province almost 8x the size of england)
Old 05-27-2018, 07:54 PM   #41

There must be a way to get that information accurately...
Old 05-27-2018, 08:11 PM   #42

Thanked 1,137 Times in 259 Posts
Spill half a drum of oil, gets news attention
Old 05-27-2018, 08:15 PM   #43

On a side note, from my experience / expertise with pipes, they should start using non-intrusive ways to measure flow. They could use instruments that go around the pipe that measure flow, and they are very accurate. These flow meters that I assume they are using can get gummed up and not read that well after a long period of time.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:21 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScizzMoney View Post
Spill half a drum of oil, gets news attention
If you saw someone do an oil change and dump the oil into the street gutter, would you not make note of it at all? Just ignore it since it's such a small amount?
Old 05-28-2018, 04:07 AM   #45
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

so much oil coming through BC and still gas is so expensive in van
Old 05-28-2018, 06:52 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
If you saw someone do an oil change and dump the oil into the street gutter, would you not make note of it at all? Just ignore it since it's such a small amount?
Completely different scenario you ninny. One is a mechanical failure, which actually is somewhat concerning because they should have changed out the meter and associated piping before it failed. And one would be someone deliberately dumping oil where it shouldn't be, and used oil is far worse (contaminants are generally any of the following: Benzene, Toluene, Ethylbenzene, Xylene, Lead) than unused product.

They are required to report any release of oil of any amount from any of their pipelines (which is a good thing). And knowing where and how flow meters are installed it's going to spill on their own section of property which requires the area to be lined underneath where common maintenance may occur (ie. at a terminal or pump station).

So to answer your question, I would make note of someone dumping oil into a street gutter.
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-28-2018, 07:48 AM   #47
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
If one semi trailer full of oil wrecks it's 300x that amount dumped out, and it's not gonna be in a convenient place like the pump station. Not to mention all the smaller leaks that already happen but don't make the news because they're small and so frequent.

A few years back a semi caught a curb with its fuel tank and dumped probably 100L of diesel all over the parking lot. A cleanup team had to come in, and I'm sure it got reported to somebody, but definitely didn't make the news.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:50 AM   #48
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScizzMoney View Post
Completely different scenario you ninny.
Did you seriously call him a ninny?!

originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2018, 09:26 AM   #49
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
If one semi trailer full of oil wrecks it's 300x that amount dumped out, and it's not gonna be in a convenient place like the pump station. Not to mention all the smaller leaks that already happen but don't make the news because they're small and so frequent.

A few years back a semi caught a curb with its fuel tank and dumped probably 100L of diesel all over the parking lot. A cleanup team had to come in, and I'm sure it got reported to somebody, but definitely didn't make the news.

Back in 2011 this was MUCH worse:
https://www.nanaimobulletin.com/news...k-crash-spill/

30,000L of diesel nearly wiped out the entire salmon run in the goldstream river for that year.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2018, 03:52 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Did you seriously call him a ninny?!

It's funny because I don't have an opinion on the pipelines one way or another. The whole reason I posted the story and started posting here is to get more information so I could have one. When I see people saying 100L of spilled oil is no big deal, I want to know why they think that. Is it because they know how much is normally spilled by trucks? Or is it because they support the pipeline no matter what, and will play down anything bad about it (gee where have we seen this kind of thinking before?)

So I ask some questions, and get called a "ninny".. that's where I just stop reading and click the fail button and move on, hopefully getting a smarter answer from someone else (like Underscore's and 68's replies).

So far it is looking like trucks and trains transporting oil is just as, if not more dangerous than a pipeline (especially a newer one). And people just want to support their "team" no matter what the facts are. If you're anti-pipeline, it's because you've been convinced of it politically, and will downplay anything negative about other options, and play up anything negative about pipelines, like a 100L contained spill.
This post thanked by: