REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:01 PM   #126
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Do they have plans to have the infrastructure needed to support that? I have a feeling their electrical grids will end up pushed to the limit and they'll end up having to abandon this plan.
When it is ze Germans, I wouldn't be too concerned. They may or may not hit the mark, but they'll always come close. The have both the smarts and the discipline to execute. In fact, I remember reading that over this past Christmas, they've had an overabundance of electricity available because of their extensive solar and wind energy farms.

France has also announced similar measures to wean themselves off ICEs -- stopping all ICE sales by 2040 -- but I wouldn't trust them to be able to pull it off like their northeastern neighbour can. They do have an extra 10 years compared to Germany, so we'll see how they do. But when it comes to political will and capabilities, I'd always trust Germany over France any day of the week.

And then there is Kalifornia... What am I even going to say? Are they still having running brown outs in the summer now? Are their current power plants even kept up with good maintenance? Undoubtedly, California can be very forwarding thinking and progressive in a lot of things, but I am really not sure how they can pull this no ICE car thing off...
Advertisement
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #127
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
When it is ze Germans, I wouldn't be too concerned. They may or may not hit the mark, but they'll always come close. The have both the smarts and the discipline to execute. In fact, I remember reading that over this past Christmas, they've had an overabundance of electricity available because of their extensive solar and wind energy farms.
Germany only has an abundance of power thanks to traditional coal burning, renewable only account for 1/3 of the energy... and this was made possible by incredible subsidies, hence the high cost of electricity passed on to the consumer.

Price by kWh in USD:

Germany 0.35
United Kingdom 0.22
United States 0.08 - 0.17 (.16 California)
Canada 0.06 - 0.15 (.15 Ontario)

Germany?s High-Priced Renewable Energy Revolution | Fortune

jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2018, 01:34 PM   #128
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Germany only has an abundance of power thanks to traditional coal burning, renewable only account for 1/3 of the energy... and this was made possible by incredible subsidies, hence the high cost of electricity passed on to the consumer.

Price by kWh in USD:

Germany 0.35
United Kingdom 0.22
United States 0.08 - 0.17 (.16 California)
Canada 0.06 - 0.15 (.15 Ontario)

Germany?s High-Priced Renewable Energy Revolution | Fortune
IMO, having 1/3 of its electrical power needs coming from renewable sources at this point in time is nothing short of amazing. Yes, the (financial) costs are high, but in terms of being able to meet and deliver on the usage needs, it is absolutely amazing. Especially when you look at how the proportion of nuclear energy just plunges down since the mid-2000's.

Merkel didn't announced the phasing out of nuclear power plants until after the Fukushima disaster (2011), but the Germans already had enough foresight to start weaning themselves off nuclear before that. They had a vision; they acted on it, and they are making sure it will happen. That's how I view the Germans.

Last edited by Traum; 06-13-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:23 PM   #129
HELP ME PLS!!!

A high principle cost for renewables, and there is maintenance costs as well. I am hopeful that the prices will have a nice return in 10 years. Much like bchydro costs in the 90s and early 2000s.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:06 AM   #130
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
Quote:
When it is ze Germans, I wouldn't be too concerned. They may or may not hit the mark, but they'll always come close. The have both the smarts and the discipline to execute.
Looking at that chart they have fearmongering idiots in charge. They may hit the mark, but they're aiming at the wrong one.

Quote:
Merkel didn't announced the phasing out of nuclear power plants until after the Fukushima disaster (2011), but the Germans already had enough foresight to start weaning themselves off nuclear before that. They had a vision; they acted on it, and they are making sure it will happen. That's how I view the Germans.
Why the hell are they decreasing nuclear? It's the best out of all of their options. They should be ramping that up to decrease their coal usage. What kind of plan is reducing a potent, safe option while remaining almost entirely dependent on fucking coal?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:25 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Why the hell are they decreasing nuclear? It's the best out of all of their options. They should be ramping that up to decrease their coal usage. What kind of plan is reducing a potent, safe option while remaining almost entirely dependent on fucking coal?
Fukushima.

After the melt down a number of countries decided the consequence of failure associated with nuclear power generation was too high... regardless of the probability of failure.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:29 PM   #132

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Quote:
IMO, having 1/3 of its electrical power needs coming from renewable sources at this point in time is nothing short of amazing. Yes, the (financial) costs are high, but in terms of being able to meet and deliver on the usage needs, it is absolutely amazing. Especially when you look at how the proportion of nuclear energy just plunges down since the mid-2000's.

whats so amazing about it? i mean theyre decreasing their carbon but at what cost? is it really the best use of the countries limited resources to piss away that much money for feel good? is it going to make any real impact on global c02 emmisions?
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:42 PM   #133
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
i heard a quote one time on the subject, i wish i could remember it.

in effect it basically said "we could dump a trillio dollar into undeveloped technology now and make a very small change. or we could not spend/waste that money now, and wait until the technology is completely there and make an enormous change for much less cost in 20 years"

the idea being that spending fuck tons of money on completely inefficient and enormously subsidized 'green' energy now isn't getting us anywhere, and we could instead be benefiting on the high usage of the current energy (oil and gas are a huge contributor to canada's economy, and therefor, canadians benefit greatly from it). instead, wait the 20 or so years for the technology to get there, and then invest some of the money earned between now and then into it and make a real impact. the idea being in 50 years, we will be in the same place either way, why not take advantage of the economical benefits of oil now.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:38 PM   #134
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post

in effect it basically said "we could dump a trillio dollar into undeveloped technology now and make a very small change. or we could not spend/waste that money now, and wait until the technology is completely there and make an enormous change for much less cost in 20 years"

the idea being that spending fuck tons of money on completely inefficient and enormously subsidized 'green' energy now isn't getting us anywhere, and we could instead be benefiting on the high usage of the current energy (oil and gas are a huge contributor to canada's economy, and therefor, canadians benefit greatly from it). instead, wait the 20 or so years for the technology to get there, and then invest some of the money earned between now and then into it and make a real impact. the idea being in 50 years, we will be in the same place either way, why not take advantage of the economical benefits of oil now.
Maybe we won't need to reduce greenhouse gases if we recycle them.
This just seems genius

Two new ways to turn ?garbage? carbon dioxide into fuel | Science | AAAS
Quote:
“Those are very good results,” and considered good enough for a commercial product, says Fan Shi, a chemist at the National Energy Technology Laboratory in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Dioxide Materials is not alone in trying to commercialize the process: Already, chemical giant BASF has announced plans to produce liquid methanol fuel using a similar method. And a German company called Sunfire announced in May that it’s producing “blue crude,” a synthetic diesel fuel from CO2 and water using a high-temperature process.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:48 PM   #135
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
what magic technology will we have in 20 years that we don't have now?
and usually those estimations are rather optimistic...whatever we aim to have in 20 years may not come until 35 years

by then we'll be crowded with 3 billion more people, and god knows how many more will get a taste of first world living with a vehicle, fly to places for vacation, etc....the existing damage are already classified irreversibly (in the scale of human existence) and at an exponential rate...we simply can't wait around another generation or two hoping for more Einsteins

prices will not drastically come down if we don't start working towards it
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:40 PM   #136
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post

You can make tremendous impacts for little capital costs by making existing equipment more efficient. Look at the impact BC Hydro’s Demand Side Management program has had, for example, which is a very low cost relative to capital projects for green tech. Stricter legislation on emissions (vehicle, industrial), improved fuel efficiency standards legislation, incentivize selecting green tech when replacing equipment and for new builds, etc.

Also, 20 years by current estimates is way too fucking late.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:24 PM   #137
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
We need more pipelines!
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:04 AM   #138
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
As long as we love our cars, we will need more pipelines.

The funny thing about this spill is that it's probably about the same amount spilled by Lem's Auto over the last 20 years. Btw, they're the largest land owner in the shitty 10 block by 9 block town that is Doon, Iowa.

originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:21 AM   #139

Journalism...

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/0...rt_a_23468557/

Quote:
The project has an estimated $7.4 billion price tag, of which Kinder Morgan says it has already spent about $1 billion. But the IEEFA report estimates that the company has only put about $600 million into the project so far. It estimates the company will make a 637-per-cent gain on the $4.5-billion sale.
In this case the author is seemingly unaware that the 4.5B sale of the Trans Mountain "project" included 1.1B for the expansion project and 3.4B for the existing pipeline/stations/terminals.

Additionally, I can absolutely confirm that KMC has spent over 1B on the project as of March 2018, this was communicated internally back in April of 2018.

Consider that when Energy East was abandoned by Transcanada it was nowhere near as far along as TMEP (Approved by NEB, 8 months into construction) and yet Transcanada had already spent 1B.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/201...peline-project

Quote:
Girling said the decision would cost his company $1 billion due to the investments it has already made in the project. The company said it wasn't expecting to recover any of its losses from any third parties since it failed to get a regulatory decision on the project.
When you factor in the opportunity costs KMC absolutely lost money selling the TMEP to the feds.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2018, 05:45 PM   #140
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Most journalist are dumb as fuck. Can't get their info right let alone discounting potential cash flows of the project.

Trudeau made a great decision buying the pipeline but drew heat because most people turn blue when they read "taxpayers' dollars" and their brain turned into mush.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:21 PM   #141
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
Most journalist are dumb as fuck. Can't get their info right let alone discounting potential cash flows of the project.

Trudeau made a great decision buying the pipeline but drew heat because most people turn blue when they read "taxpayers' dollars" and their brain turned into mush.
It is quite a risky investment from any stand point, especially if you consider the factors of a spill. It should also be considered that Kinder morgan isn't making much money in canada right now because of the price of oil being too low for the oil sands to be a major money generator like it was when oil was 100$ a barrel. This is the main reason why they're shipping dilbit through it instead of refined product, the only profits that could possibly be generated from it is if we shipped the lowest grade product possible. So at this point, we can't go any further down in price for our product or downgrade it to a lesser product to make some cash. so if something signifigant were to happen like a major spill or a major fall in oil price this entire pipeline will be a huge money pit for the taxpayers. Kinder morgan seen that and over sold the benefits of this project so we would go all in on it. now that we have, kinder morgan doesn't stand to lose anything from it... Genius plan from the makers of enron.

And in an interesting twist, the price of oil has jumped yet the oil sands are shutting down even though we will buy the pipeline. How long until we realize this economic strategy has more flaws than benefits? especially in the long run considering the state of the environment and our so called goals to protect it.

And as far as your immature blanket statement about journalists being dumb as fuck, maybe I can ask you something simple. What have you done to impact your community in the way of exposing essential information? Sure, there's some dumb fuck journalists out there, but there's a helluva lot of good ones that get way too much flack for exposing FACTS in this day and age.
Everymans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:47 PM   #142
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
I have 0 interest in fighting you. Exposing info isn't my job so I don't know why you are riding me. That's journalism's job. They saw a "headline" opportunity that the hoi polloi will go up in arms and they went for it.

Instead of sitting here blah blah NIMBY, take out a pen and paper or whip out Excel, make a bunch of assumptions and do a primitive DCF. It's not hard. Assume the pipeline don't go up in flame in the next 10-20 years, it's a great investment. Real asset generating CFs.

Trudeau made a very brave (knowing it is going to be controversial) decision but will very likely benefits Canada as a whole in the long term. This pipeline has been a head-scratcher in the investment community for years, now it is finally happening. We have oil. Oil is valuable. Let's get it out.

I really don't care for your political leaning. It's an economic decision, not a political one. Instead of get triggered for no reason, educate yourself.

Yeah, most journalists are dumb as fuck. Have you read the papers or watch the news lately?
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2018, 09:34 AM   #143
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
^
While I don't agree that most journalists are dumb as fuck. I do agree that the pipeline was a brave decision (albeit made by a pussy), and that it was an economic decision.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:47 AM   #144
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,337 Times in 5,647 Posts
Somewhat unrelated but I’ve mentioned this to a few people lately

I live approx 10 minute walk from Wall Street in East Van, for those unfamiliar Wall Street has numerous parks that look out over the north shore.

In the last 2 years of living here I’ve probably looked up at grouse mountain, I dunno, 200 times? I’ve only ever seen the wind turbine up there spinning ONCE..
Old 06-28-2018, 10:22 AM   #145
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I thought that wind turbine was a tourist attraction instead of a real generator
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:29 AM   #146
I don't get it

Costs more money to maintain the fuckers than any energy actually generated by them. Could say the same thing about anything Leed for that matter. Costs more and does very little.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Somewhat unrelated but I’ve mentioned this to a few people lately

I live approx 10 minute walk from Wall Street in East Van, for those unfamiliar Wall Street has numerous parks that look out over the north shore.

In the last 2 years of living here I’ve probably looked up at grouse mountain, I dunno, 200 times? I’ve only ever seen the wind turbine up there spinning ONCE..
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2018, 10:32 AM   #147
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,337 Times in 5,647 Posts
it has a viewing platform which looks cool btw, but yea.. i remember the original plans being like "it's going to power grouse!" and its probably now along the lines of what Digitalis said

Quote:
From BIV.com

The “grossest distortion of green data” award still goes to Grouse Mountain's Eye of the Wind turbine. It was narrowly approved in 2008 by District of North Vancouver council on the promise that it had partnered with BC Hydro to be a “beacon of sustainability” and to produce enough electricity to power 400 homes. When it was turned on in 2010, B.C.'s minister of energy, Bill Bennett, called it “Vancouver's first commercially viable wind turbine.” He's right. Its viewing station brings in around $750,000 a year. But it actually produces power for about 12 homes because the wind rarely blows hard enough to turn the giant turbines. Grouse Mountain refuses to release actual data. According to Petrie, it will be lucky to produce enough electricity in 25 years to make up for the energy embodied in its manufacture and installation.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:57 AM   #148

I have a LOT of experience w/ wind turbine power generation, normally we gather/analyze 5-10 years of wind data for a specific location before making the determination that the location in question is suitable for a profit-generating wind turbine power generation project.

The installation of a single wind turbine at the edge of Grouse Mountain was not intended to generate power, it was to generate an image.

RE: Everymans

You're post is polluted with misinformation, maybe you don't understand what a "fact" is?

A) Oil sands remain very profitable, take a good look @ Suncor's stock price and YoY earnings per share. (They are the single biggest oilsands producer) Yes a number of proposed "mega projects" have been postponed, this is because cash flow @ most major oil producers was greatly reduced during the oil glut, you don't start a 10B project while losing billions of dollars each quarter/year. As the price of oil stabilizes more and more projects will once again move ahead, it's a long term/stable supply of oil, there is a demand for it.

B) The price of oil has nothing to do with the price to transport oil, it doesn't matter if oil is $1/BBL or $100/BBL, the price to move it down the pipeline is fixed by long term service agreements typically 10-25 years in length.

C) Kinder Morgan Canada earnings are not impacted by low prices, they are impacted by low shipping volumes, and they have been operating at maximum capacity for decades.

D) The Trans Mountain pipeline ships both crude and refined fuel products, if there was foreign demand for finished/refined products we would export those products, the demand simply isn't there. You refer to dilbit as though there is no upgrading that takes place before the crude is shipped, this is simply not correct.

E) Refineries are generally built in locations to service immediate areas, consider the image below that shows the typical breakdown of a barrel of oil:

Understand that by shipping the product as crude you only need ONE pipeline, that means crude can get from Fort Mac to Vancouver in ONE pipeline, it then arrives here and can be refined into a MANY products that are then shipped out short distances to the immediate area using transport trucks. (IE: Gasoline from Chevron in Burnaby to a Chevron store in White Rock)

If you break that barrel down at the location it is initially produced (IE: Fort Mac) you can no longer move the collection of products that make up a barrel down a single pipeline as the operating conditions and equipment for say gasoline can't be used to move asphalt, coke, liquified gasses etc.

If you were to refine products in Canada before exporting you would need a dozen unique tankers heading to a dozen unique customers on the other side of the planet. Logistically it simply doesn't work.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2018, 03:54 PM   #149
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

It's always good when someone with industry expertise comes in and owns the misinformed.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:14 PM   #150
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
more wasteful shit have been built numerous times around here but I find it hard to believe they would install a wind turbine without doing some fairly basic research...?
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote