REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:23 PM   #1
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Trudeau cabinet approves Trans Mountain, Line 3 pipelines, rejects Northern Gateway

Surprised no thread on this yet?

Trudeau cabinet approves Trans Mountain, Line 3 pipelines, rejects Northern Gateway - Politics - CBC News
Advertisement
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2016, 05:02 PM   #2
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,239 Times in 5,600 Posts
Lulz at all the anti Harper tree huggers who thought he was actually gonna change anything.

At least Harper didn't sound like he was in the pockets of big corp.

Now let's go buy some 30 year old jets and give money to some ducking African country!
Old 11-29-2016, 05:23 PM   #3
HELP ME PLS!!!

With Harper, Northern Gateway would have been approved. I have no doubt.

Kinder Morgan makes more sense, since it doesn't go through extremely sensitive habitat. I believe that the line is a twinning of existing infrastructure. The only impact I see that project having is the increased tanker traffic in Vancouver.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:35 PM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

so are we going to see "Trudeau" stickers on our stop signs now?

Funny how quickly SJW's switch teams when they feel they are losing. JT is Harper with the good hair.
adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2016, 06:53 PM   #5
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Lulz at all the anti Harper tree huggers who thought he was actually gonna change anything.

At least Harper didn't sound like he was in the pockets of big corp.

Now let's go buy some 30 year old jets and give money to some ducking African country!
I still don't quite understand what the big deal is with buying the newest, latest jet is?

imagine going to war with 1983 jimmy ... most of us wouldn't even trust it to go get groceries ... anyways ...

I think trudeau made a good compromise with this announcement. This is probably his first bit of real policy he's had to do since becoming pm, and I approve.

If he didn't allow anything, what's happening in the US would be coming to Canada -- the rural/urban divide is already huge ... that would've just made it bigger.

As long as everyone is mad, it's a good decision :P

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-29-2016, 06:54 PM   #6
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,927 Times in 1,873 Posts
Kinder Morgan Trans Mountain Pipeline

Line 3, seems like nobody really cares, there is already an existing pipeline there.

Northern Gateway REJECTED

Liberals won't lose any political votes on this decision ... because Conservatives would have approved all three proposed pipelines. Well ... maybe Liberals will lose some to NDP but it's not like they will form gov't.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2016, 06:56 PM   #7
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,020 Times in 7,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambomb View Post
so are we going to see "Trudeau" stickers on our stop signs now?

Funny how quickly SJW's switch teams when they feel they are losing. JT is Harper with the good hair.
People need to quit with labelling anyone who isn't conservative an "SJW."
Its such a wannabe tough guy act.
Personally, I can see people switching their opinions of Trudeau considering he ran on a campaign of electoral reform, and no pipelines or increased tanker traffic.

I'm fairly "for" certain pipelines as they actually increase the safety of transport, but they need to come with very strong consequences for spills. Ones that I'm sure won't be put in place. I hope I'm proven wrong if such a thing ever happens.

Very happy to see the northern gateway denied. I think these were the right decisions, and a compromise that should make most people on each side of the environment/economy happy, however Trudeau went full retard with his campaign promises so people on both sides will go so extreme and be angry either way because everyone invested so much into their Facebook statuses that they can't bear to give any ground to what is actually smart.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2016, 06:58 PM   #8
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Why not build a line from Bruderheim to Edmonton and pay royalties to KM to use existing infrastructure?

edit: not familiar with the contents flowing through KM and NG lines.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:02 PM   #9
HELP ME PLS!!!

My guess of why they aren't using existing infrastructure is because it's already being used.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:07 PM   #10
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,927 Times in 1,873 Posts
I know it sux for BC but objectively speaking, AB really needed this.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:42 PM   #11

I agree completely with the decision. I just think most liberal supporters (at least the ones that thought they knew what they were doing when they voted) would have leaned towards clean energy and native lands.

Also he IS buying old jets, and the smallest squadron you can possibly buy lol..
Old 11-29-2016, 07:47 PM   #12
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
The oil is going to be extracted anyway, so it's far better to increase pipeline capacity than to have that oil shipped by rail or truck.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2016, 08:07 PM   #13
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Liberal voter here. Great decision by Trudeau. The KM expansion is much better, environmentally speaking anyway.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:15 PM   #14
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
Why not build a line from Bruderheim to Edmonton and pay royalties to KM to use existing infrastructure?

edit: not familiar with the contents flowing through KM and NG lines.
The current lines are at, or very close to their capacities. Not only that but some of these pipelines currently in use are aging infrastructure.

That's the part that kills me about the "no" campaigns, they neglect to realize the benefit from replacing older lines with newer lines utilizing the newest construction and QC standards.

But no by all means feel free to block these new lines, meanwhile they will keep pushing more product through the old infrastructure which is held together with chewing gum and duct tape. That sounds like a way better idea...

Believe me if Enbridge didn't have to spend 40 billion dollars, they wouldn't want to, the fact that they recognize the need to twin a line and upgrade it, is proof enough that it's probably a safer option than whatever other methods they would come up with if it gets rejected.

I said it before, and someone else mimicked it above, that fucking bitumen is coming out one way or another, truck, rail, or pipeline, you take your pick.

EDIT: while were at it, those natives in Standing rock will eventually extort enough money out of the Bakken people, and then after that you won't hear another peep about "their sacred land" or the "ancient burial sites". These natives have taken you all for a ride, they don't give a fuck about anything except making sure they get their cut off the top. And these stupid protesters rush to their defense as if they are standing behind someone who truly gives a fuck, hah. If you give them enough money, fuck a pipeline, most of them would be happy to let you just free flow a river of oil through their "ancestors land".

In the wise words of Wu Tang:

"Cash Rules Everything Around Me"

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread

Last edited by meme405; 11-29-2016 at 08:23 PM.
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:18 PM   #15
HELP ME PLS!!!

I have not fact checked but:
Vivian Krause?s poignant article ?The cash pipeline opposing Canadian oil pipelines? is a must read | BOE Report

Because relevant.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:40 PM   #16

Thanked 4,768 Times in 1,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carisear View Post

I think trudeau made a good compromise with this announcement. This is probably his first bit of real policy he's had to do since becoming pm, and I approve.
Agreed. I align with Liberals because they're the "Center" party. This decision was a good compromise in my opinion as well.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:41 PM   #17

Thanked 31,020 Times in 7,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
Sounds a bit tinfoil hatty, but its certainly possible, and brilliant if true. Thats some Cobra command type evil shit.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:13 PM   #18
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
With Harper, Northern Gateway would have been approved. I have no doubt.

Kinder Morgan makes more sense, since it doesn't go through extremely sensitive habitat. I believe that the line is a twinning of existing infrastructure. The only impact I see that project having is the increased tanker traffic in Vancouver.
Wrong, gateway is a sacrificial lamb of sorts, approve two and reject one, the one that doesn't matter.

Enbridge doesn't care about the approval of Gateway anymore, the company disbanded the entire project team almost a year ago - the main shipper (and fianancier) was suncor and they couldn't find a customer for the oil.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:44 PM   #19
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
<snip>
I said it before, and someone else mimicked it above, that fucking bitumen is coming out one way or another, truck, rail, or pipeline, you take your pick.
<snip>
I absolutely agree with your entire post, and this part especially. It's gonna move, so people can either try to say "no" and have zero input, or try to negotiate and at least have some input into ensuring things are done to a higher standard. Their choice.

Quote:
Activists have been lining up to oppose the project, with one B.C. First Nation near the project's route warning its construction could threaten the community's very "survival," and it has not ruled out protests and court action.
I'm sorry but how exactly? The existing pipeline is being twinned, so unless they all live immediately beside the current line I'm not sure how this will really impact them.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:24 PM   #20
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Why do we have so many people trying to protest against this pipeline?

I think pipeline is far better than transporting oil by trailer on highway or cargo train.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:42 AM   #21

Unless you live in a fucking yurt and get your news via carrier pigeon what right do you have to protest the pipeline?

Everyone at the stupid protests filming with their iPhones and a backup DSLR wearing fucking arterryx jackets and eating McDonald's

Good think none of those products are petroleum based though
Old 11-30-2016, 06:44 AM   #22
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
I don't think anyone expected any government to reject the pipelines? That would just be unrealistic! Hell I'm surprised the northern gateway was rejected, that's probably due to low energy prices, or a stepping stone movement, it'll likely get approved under a 'revised' proposal in several years

As for jets, the old ones are still better than that crappy raptor
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:57 AM   #23
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Wrong, gateway is a sacrificial lamb of sorts, approve two and reject one, the one that doesn't matter.

Enbridge doesn't care about the approval of Gateway anymore, the company disbanded the entire project team almost a year ago - the main shipper (and fianancier) was suncor and they couldn't find a customer for the oil.
Gateway is a sacrificial lamb now that it's seen all this opposition. I think they would have still built it if they were given the choice.

When oil prices rise again, they will not have a hard time finding a customer in Asia, which was the original reason why they wanted to build it.

Last edited by DragonChi; 11-30-2016 at 07:06 AM.
DragonChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:00 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post

As for jets, the old ones are still better than that crappy raptor
i'll assume you're speaking of the F35 and not the F22, perhaps the greatest plane ever built? lol
Old 11-30-2016, 07:41 AM   #25
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
i'll assume you're speaking of the F35 and not the F22, perhaps the greatest plane ever built? lol
expensive, short supply, not equipped with the "latest" (kinda old now) air to air missiles, unable to counter electronic attack

waste o $
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote