REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics (https://www.revscene.net/forums/computer-tech-gaming-electronics_32/)
-   -   Forget about the Nintendo mini, say hello to Super Nintendo mini (https://www.revscene.net/forums/712745-forget-about-nintendo-mini-say-hello-super-nintendo-mini.html)

ae101 06-26-2017 10:19 AM

Forget about the Nintendo mini, say hello to Super Nintendo mini

Quote:

Nintendo Announces SNES Classic, Which Comes With 21 Stellar Games [UPDATE]
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...qyifmmzwji.jpg
Forget the NES Classic—this is the vintage system we’ve been waiting for. Nintendo today announced the Super Nintendo Classic, which will be out on September 29 for $80 and come with 21 games including the previously unreleased Star Fox 2.

The lineup, which is excellent, also includes Earthbound, Final Fantasy III, Link to the Past, and Secret of Mana. And Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country and holy crap this thing is going to be impossible to get at a store without gouging someone’s eyes out, isn’t it?

Unlike the NES Classic, the SNES Classic’s lineup is full of genuine masterpieces that have all aged well. There isn’t a single bad game on this thing (assuming Star Fox 2 is as solid as the first one). Here’s the full list:
Contra III: The Alien Wars
Donkey Kong Country
EarthBound
Final Fantasy III
F-ZERO
Kirby Super Star
Kirby’s Dream Course
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Mega Man X
Secret of Mana
Star Fox
Star Fox 2
Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Super Castlevania IV
Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Punch-Out!!
Yoshi’s Island
Oddly, Nintendo says you’ll have to beat the first level of Star Fox to unlock Star Fox 2. From the press release: “Even for super fans who have played all of these games multiple times, the inclusion of the never-before-released Star Fox 2 game will offer them something entirely new to enjoy – if they can unlock it by proving their skills in the original Star Fox game. (Well, they only have to complete the first level – we didn’t want to make it too hard!)”

The system also comes with an HDMI cable, a charging cable, and two SNES controllers so you can beat up your friends in Street Fighter. We’ve reached out to Nintendo to ask if the company plans to produce more of these things than the last time around.

UPDATE (1:53pm): And here’s Nintendo, confirming that the company does plan to ship more SNES Classics, but only this year.

We aren’t providing specific numbers, but we will produce significantly more units of Super NES Classic Edition than we did of NES Classic Edition.

Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition is currently planned to ship from Sept. 29 until the end of calendar year 2017. At this time, we have nothing to announce regarding any possible shipments beyond this year.

Our long-term efforts are focused on delivering great games for the Nintendo Switch system and continuing to build momentum for that platform, as well as serving the more than 63 million owners of Nintendo 3DS family systems. We are offering Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition in special recognition of the fans who show tremendous interest our classic content

[IMG]gawker-media/image/upload/s--I3CZzkHj--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/itfljod4g7uu0uxagkki.jpg[/IMG]
deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2

This is closer too heart compare to the old mini

Jmac 06-26-2017 10:32 AM

The games are much better than the NES Classic

Hopefully the controller cables won't be a foot long like the NES Classic.

Razor Ramon HG 06-26-2017 10:41 AM

Definitely buying one

68style 06-26-2017 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmac (Post 8848647)
The games are much better than the NES Classic

Hopefully the controller cables won't be a foot long like the NES Classic.

Apparently a full 2 feet longer... not much but something!

Spoon 06-26-2017 01:54 PM

99% would flip it if I could even get my hands on one.

Only reason to buy this is SF2. But I'd rather use the profits on a stack of quarters so I could blow it at the arcades. :cool:

Jmac 06-26-2017 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 8848702)
99% would flip it if I could even get my hands on one.

Only reason to buy this is SF2. But I'd rather use the profits on a stack of quarters so I could blow it at the arcades. :cool:

Ummm, there are like half a dozen highly-rated (as in arguably best of all time in their respective series) RPGs on that list.

Not to mention Star Fox 2, a game that was never released.

320icar 06-26-2017 03:23 PM

One issue with the included games is, any collector around 30 years old (or who grew up with NES/SNES) is that I have most those games. But I guess the same thing could have been said about the NES Classic, it's a collector piece to get newer generations playing it

Hondaracer 06-26-2017 04:37 PM

Happy earthbound was included.

Would have been nice to see illusions of Gaia but that's about all I can think of

Hopefully they make enough so it's not some stupid bullshit like the NES mini. Also limit 1 per person for sales ffs..

Spoon 06-26-2017 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmac (Post 8848717)
Ummm, there are like half a dozen highly-rated (as in arguably best of all time in their respective series) RPGs on that list.

Not to mention Star Fox 2, a game that was never released.

As a collector's item or investment, there's value. From a person who's actually using it for gaming? :heckno:

Doom was great. But I'm playing CS:GO. So is everyone else on this planet who doesn't have a time machine.

Mr.Money 06-26-2017 05:30 PM

hopefully you can load more games in,that'll be cool if nintendo doesnt get rid of its usb port.
the real question is if they learned from nes or dont give a shit its making us money.

Manic! 06-26-2017 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 8848746)
As a collector's item or investment, there's value. From a person who's actually using it for gaming? :heckno:

Doom was great. But I'm playing CS:GO. So is everyone else on this planet who doesn't have a time machine.

Retro gaming is huge and CSGO was released in 2012. You should be playing over watch.

ae101 06-26-2017 10:28 PM

First year the machines will be double from the old Nintendo mini but after that good luck

Traum 06-27-2017 02:41 PM

Much like the USDM vs JDM NES mini, I'd once again have to say that I'd far prefer the aesthetics of the JDM Super Famicom over the SNES:

https://www.thairath.co.th/media/mSQ...G4jDRMD2ym.jpg

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chor...00703_02.0.jpg

6o4__boi 06-27-2017 02:47 PM

with the shit show in the supply and demand that was the NES

i'm considering pre-ordering 2, 1 to keep, the other to pay for itself and the one i keep haha

ZN6 06-27-2017 03:13 PM

I had fond memories of starfox and did 100% on all three levels of difficulty. Never did get to the slot machine, though.

But the game play was quite repetitive so I don't think I'd care too much for Starfox 2. Chrono Trigger should have been included but if they wanted a truly gorgeous game that was never released in north america they should have got Square to do Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2).

Super metroid was THE speed run game and still is. I spent so many hours on possibly a thousand or so playthroughs on my SNES. 14% runs, 100% runs, suitless run, no boss runs, plasma/spazer glitch reset runs with highest % run.

Super Metroid is the greatest display of game design of all time, and the fact that designers meant for the game to be sequence broken was just genius at the time. The morphing ball is the very first item you get and is the precursor to breaking sequence in the game using mock ball. That game still brings back goosebumps especially with the item-get jingle.

I'm gonna get this just for super metroid

Manic! 06-27-2017 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6o4__boi (Post 8848918)
with the shit show in the supply and demand that was the NES

i'm considering pre-ordering 2, 1 to keep, the other to pay for itself and the one i keep haha

Are they going to have pre orders this time?

ae101 06-27-2017 04:29 PM

No per orders this time around

Just for nostalgic kicks, Nintendo says that the mini will fade color in 6 months time and this means u will get to see the yellow Stain lol

6793026 06-27-2017 09:44 PM

seriously this is great and all but when the old "red and white" nintendo came out with 500 games, I bought it but it was meh.

Yes, Duck hunt, Mappy, Tetris, Kung Fu, Cobra, Wrestling etc were all super nostalgic but after an hr in, it just feel too single dimensional. Esp the older games like duck hunt, it's just repeat of level of exactly the same thing.

The fad left me meh and I turned it off (maybe not Tetris or Cobra) but you get what I'm saying.

Hondaracer 06-27-2017 09:53 PM

Earthbound, Mario RPG, link to the past, etc are amazing games that still hold up today imo

Vansterdam 06-28-2017 04:17 AM

If I could hack this would def sell my old snes + games and buy this lol

MarkyMark 06-28-2017 05:43 AM

Yeah these old games are cool and all, but I'd be way more stoked for a true sequel to games like Earthbound and Super Mario RPG.

I don't think any one makes more money than Nintendo by getting people to buy shit they already bought over and over again.

rsx10 06-28-2017 07:51 AM

More importantly, can we still use the cheats....lol
A,B,A,B, up, down, up, down, left, right, left, right hahaha

twitchyzero 06-28-2017 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ae101 (Post 8848952)
No per orders this time around

:heckno: i never line-up to buy new products :okay:

Hondaracer 06-28-2017 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark (Post 8849025)
Yeah these old games are cool and all, but I'd be way more stoked for a true sequel to games like Earthbound and Super Mario RPG.

I don't think any one makes more money than Nintendo by getting people to buy shit they already bought over and over again.

One can dream about an N64 mini that includes a completed earthbound 64 lol

JesseBlue 06-28-2017 06:41 PM

You're better of just going to the retropie route.