REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:43 PM   #101
GG
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Ali arrived in Canada as a Syrian refugee

im surprised nobody on here said anything about this yet.
great, this was the reason i was so against taking on refugee.
Why take on someone else's burden and make our country shit?

We got our own problems, its like you dont provide food on the table for your own family, but your neighbors first?

Anyone drove past by east Hastings lately? its got A LOT WORSE now than the last 25 years. It used to be one block, not its 3 blocks east/west bound, and garbage are spreading on to the street...wat the fuck dude

Keep the fucking refugee to themself for god's sake, US dont want them, europe dont want them. Whoever welcomes them, should start inviting them to your home and feed them out of ur own pocket. Until than, talk is cheap
Advertisement
GG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2018, 12:49 PM   #102
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
Is a different guy, same name and age. Just heard on news
Damn fake news..... and I'm not even kidding either.
That said, it makes me happy that the original Ibrahim Ali could be still in jail.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:56 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Damn fake news..... and I'm not even kidding either.
That said, it makes me happy that the original Ibrahim Ali could be still in jail.
but they just soiled his name
minoru_tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2018, 02:02 PM   #104
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,514 Times in 4,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GG View Post
great, this was the reason i was so against taking on refugee.
Why take on someone else's burden and make our country shit?

We got our own problems, its like you dont provide food on the table for your own family, but your neighbors first?

Anyone drove past by east Hastings lately? its got A LOT WORSE now than the last 25 years. It used to be one block, not its 3 blocks east/west bound, and garbage are spreading on to the street...wat the fuck dude

Keep the fucking refugee to themself for god's sake, US dont want them, europe dont want them. Whoever welcomes them, should start inviting them to your home and feed them out of ur own pocket. Until than, talk is cheap
I tried to ignore this post but it hits home hard. Times have changed, and so have our circumstances, including peoples opinions.

Very few here on RS know that I grew up a few blocks from Main and Hastings. Seeing drug addicts and beggars in and around my neighbourhood was very much a daily occurrence for me growing up. Not to mention the families who went hungry, and parents could not send their kids on field trips, or the problems involving alcohol, drugs, and/or gangs. Oh, let's not forget the needles dumped onto the street after they get their fix, because it was just so normal to make sure we looked for them before playing street hockey or basketball.

I was born in a refugee camp, and my parents lived in a refugee camp for many years before coming to Canada. We came to Vancouver with a bag of clothing, no education, and $50 Canadian that the refugee camp had given my parents. My parents went through adult education, ESL lessons, entered a trade, and raised us to be contributors to society. I worked part time to get myself through school without ever having to ask my parents for money, let alone, get a student loan. I did this to set an example for my siblings not to take anything for granted, and to get what you want by earning it. In fact, I am mentoring Syrian refugee this very day until the end of the year before he finishes his MBA and starts working for us on a full-time basis.

Yes, we have our own problems. Yes, refugees can be a burden, but so can your neighbour next door who holds a Canadian passport. I often do not have a soft spot for refugees because we struggled and worked so hard to earn our spot in the Canadian fabric, but to feel this way towards ALL refugees is disheartening. There are some genuine people out there who really want to improve their lives, not only for themselves, but also for their families, and those around them.

The Canadian government took a huge chance on me and my parents some 30 odd years ago. We are still repaying this debt to this very day. To make a blanket statement like keep refugees out of our country really hurts. I will apologize to you all for being such a burden to Canadian society.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:06 PM   #105
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,470 Times in 5,121 Posts
^ gg GG
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2018, 02:09 PM   #106
RS Veteran

GG

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 09-10-2018, 02:20 PM   #107
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,728 Times in 3,142 Posts
but the government didnt give you a handout Duke. We are giving these Syrians a boatload of monies that no other refugee groups/immigrants got.

Thats whats pissing me off about the whole thing.

This piece of shit is just a rotten apple in maybe a barrel full of contributing future canadians. As long as they dont push their religion on any other canadians or become radicalized, i got no problem with syrians.
My issue is WHY THE FUCK ARE WE GIVING THEM A GOD DAMN HANDOUT!?

"That support is generally available for up to a year. The maximum amount provided is $25,000 per family. That includes a one-time start up payment to help refugees establish a household in Canada, as well as monthly income support, a spokesperson for Citizenship and Immigration Canada said.

The monthly payments depend on the size of the family and social assistance rates in each province.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/fact...ners-1.2670735

Citizenship and Immigration Canada estimates that an individual in Ontario would receive roughly $2,065 in a one-time start-up allowance, to cover things such as basic household needs, furniture, winter clothing and telephone installation if a landline is chosen. The estimated monthly assistance to a refugee in Ontario is $768, but the department notes that individual circumstances vary and so do the monthly payments."

If my family had 780 bucks a month when we got here, my poor ma wouldn't have to have worked in a textile mill ironing fucking shirts for 10 cents a piece. She could have went and got her english upgraded and transferred her medical doctor license from shanghai over. FUCK YOU TRUDEAU
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:26 PM   #108
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,367 Times in 5,658 Posts
There is a difference between a $50 bill and 8 months in the sandman on Davie.

My grandparents came here not only having zero money in their pocket, they actually owed Canadian immigration $250 plus interest. They created a life much like your family did dukes with hardwork and determination and knowing nothing else.

Now we give refugee's 8 months in $300 a night hotels and run news stories on how it's not comfortable enough for them? fuck right off.

The problem, imo is that a lot of these people (and it could very well be true with this guy) is that their values basically run completely contrary to western values. Hell, even a place like Turkey females are acosted for not being with "their man" etc.

I'm just spit balling here but you get a guy like this over here, and who knows, Maybe he killed the girl simply because she was a woman on her own, living life unaccompanied.

It's not everyone, but a lot of these peoples values dont jive with western society.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:31 PM   #109
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
If my family had 780 bucks a month when we got here, my poor ma wouldn't have to have worked in a textile mill ironing fucking shirts for 10 cents a piece. She could have went and got her english upgraded and transferred her medical doctor license from shanghai over. FUCK YOU TRUDEAU
I'm confused? You would have preferred your mother struggled and iron shirts rather than get the help we are offering Syrian refugees? Because at the time your family had more of a struggle we should continue to make it a struggle for other struggling families?

prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2018, 02:33 PM   #110
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,284 Times in 1,971 Posts
Why were people so critical of the police investigation? I don't feel cops owe the general population any explanations until they feel it's adequate to do so like when they gave an update on the 1 year anniversary. For all investigators knew, this dum cumpster could have fled back to the middle east. You'd be surprised how easy it is to get a court case dismissed which would lead to a massive waste of time, money and energy.

I guess I shouldn't expect any less from the armchair population.

It takes time but glad they found the guy. Hopefully no one else was involved with him (potentially another victim).
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2018, 02:36 PM   #111

Yeah, i would Prudz. Unless you're going to give handouts to all the struggling families, why are these syrians so special? I know a lot of people in this city who could use an extra 780 dollars a month. Unless you're going to give it to all, then dont give it to a select group of people. That's discrimination, that's spitting in the faces of all the immigrants/refugees who came before and had to make due with JACK SHIT from the government.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-10-2018, 02:37 PM   #112
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,367 Times in 5,658 Posts
I think they did a great job. I got preoccupied with my refugee rhetoric, i was meaning to say kudos to IHIT in my last post

can only imagine the extent an investigation like this goes to when it takes more than a year to come to a conclusion.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:55 PM   #113
GG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I tried to ignore this post but it hits home hard. Times have changed, and so have our circumstances, including peoples opinions.

Very few here on RS know that I grew up a few blocks from Main and Hastings. Seeing drug addicts and beggars in and around my neighbourhood was very much a daily occurrence for me growing up. Not to mention the families who went hungry, and parents could not send their kids on field trips, or the problems involving alcohol, drugs, and/or gangs. Oh, let's not forget the needles dumped onto the street after they get their fix, because it was just so normal to make sure we looked for them before playing street hockey or basketball.

I was born in a refugee camp, and my parents lived in a refugee camp for many years before coming to Canada. We came to Vancouver with a bag of clothing, no education, and $50 Canadian that the refugee camp had given my parents. My parents went through adult education, ESL lessons, entered a trade, and raised us to be contributors to society. I worked part time to get myself through school without ever having to ask my parents for money, let alone, get a student loan. I did this to set an example for my siblings not to take anything for granted, and to get what you want by earning it. In fact, I am mentoring Syrian refugee this very day until the end of the year before he finishes his MBA and starts working for us on a full-time basis.

Yes, we have our own problems. Yes, refugees can be a burden, but so can your neighbour next door who holds a Canadian passport. I often do not have a soft spot for refugees because we struggled and worked so hard to earn our spot in the Canadian fabric, but to feel this way towards ALL refugees is disheartening. There are some genuine people out there who really want to improve their lives, not only for themselves, but also for their families, and those around them.

The Canadian government took a huge chance on me and my parents some 30 odd years ago. We are still repaying this debt to this very day. To make a blanket statement like keep refugees out of our country really hurts. I will apologize to you all for being such a burden to Canadian society.

Hey, times are different now. With the way real estate is going, no one can afford shit in this city. Back than apartment was $100g, a house would cost $200-300g . Now you need 1 mil just for a 2 bed apartment.
The problem with humanity is, people gets jealous. And jealousy brings hatred.
Not many people are willing to go thru the proper channel, and learn a new dialogue, just so they can work at MacDonald? pizza hut? And still be broke as shit?
So to bring on a refugee in, its only going to cost the government more headache and more overhead expense.
We blame the Chinese for coming here, but guess what? They are the one with money, and Vancouver heavily relies on foreign money as we are nothing more than America's little bitches. Who the hell sells oil/lumber to another country and gets sold right back for a higher price? We do
For Asian immigrant, u either gotta be an investor to qualify, or a real useful tool for the government to accept you.

Why are we not using the money helping the homeless issue that we have thru out the greater Vancouver FIRST? With the amount of homeless thats increasing each year, obviously we aint doing enough.

Let me put it this way, poor ppl commit crimes, rich folks....what they gonna do? Rob a poor lady at the grocery store? Or break into someone's car for some chump change?

What is Trudeau trying to do? Turn Canada into a third world country full of cheap labors?
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-10-2018, 03:11 PM   #114
GG

Quote:
Yeah, i would Prudz. Unless you're going to give handouts to all the struggling families, why are these syrians so special? I know a lot of people in this city who could use an extra 780 dollars a month. Unless you're going to give it to all, then dont give it to a select group of people. That's discrimination, that's spitting in the faces of all the immigrants/refugees who came before and had to make due with JACK SHIT from the government.

according to this article, they get $1186 per month per house hold
https://globalnews.ca/news/3518999/h...an-pensioners/

not sure about other refugees in the past, if they got any hand outs
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-10-2018, 03:25 PM   #115
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,457 Times in 990 Posts
gg no re
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2018, 03:26 PM   #116
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,311 Times in 2,516 Posts
Quote:
Let me put it this way, poor ppl commit crimes, rich folks....what they gonna do? Rob a poor lady at the grocery store? Or break into someone's car for some chump change?
I can answer this question with a bit of cyncism, and there are a few types:

A) They hire professionals to help them legally dodge taxes, and to invest in borderline illegal white collar activities so that the wealth disparity grows at an ever faster pace. And then when the bubble bursts, they cry foul and go back to the government asking for handouts / bailouts (bcos they are too big to fail).

B) They pour massive amounts of $$$ into political parties and lobby groups such that the various levels of governments can be "influenced" into making policities & decisions that are favourable to their own financial interests at the detriment of others, generally the poorer population.

C) They claim to have low income / no income so that they can milk the government's social benefits to the max. In the mean time, they drive their Mercedes and BMW to the food bank to get "free food".

If you think they aren't robbing the poor blokes for all they are worth, you are sorely mistaken.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:30 PM   #117
GG

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle34785953/

i dont understand how is shoving the poors into the top 10 most expensive cities in the universe make any god damn sense?

like...HOW

thats right , the new motivation is to learn english, and hopefully get a job at subway and wendy's just so the person can do back to back shift..

This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-10-2018, 03:32 PM   #118
GG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I can answer this question with a bit of cyncism, and there are a few types:

A) They hire professionals to help them legally dodge taxes, and to invest in borderline illegal white collar activities so that the wealth disparity grows at an ever faster pace. And then when the bubble bursts, they cry foul and go back to the government asking for handouts / bailouts (bcos they are too big to fail).

B) They pour massive amounts of $$$ into political parties and lobby groups such that the various levels of governments can be "influenced" into making policities & decisions that are favourable to their own financial interests at the detriment of others, generally the poorer population.

C) They claim to have low income / no income so that they can milk the government's social benefits to the max. In the mean time, they drive their Mercedes and BMW to the food bank to get "free food".

If you think they aren't robbing the poor blokes for all they are worth, you are sorely mistaken.

yes i was gonna address that issue, but they do it in a different manner. Not hurting anyone DIRECTLY...

well murdering and petty crime....nothing gonna be as direct as that. I dont view them as serious as taking away a life

the rich get richer, the poor get poorer
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2018, 03:41 PM   #119
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,470 Times in 5,121 Posts
Quote:
I normally agree with your posts man but... you think something should never improve cuz you didn’t get the same benefits originally? This is the case in many facets of life... my parents didn’t get to fly as kids cuz no one flew... my grandparents didn’t get good medical help or drive anywhere cuz they were poor from the war and the medical system sucked due to lack of technology even tho they paid into it the same if not more than I have..

You can’t expect things to stay the same just cuz you didn’t get a bit extra and now the country is fortunate enough to help out more... maybe they help tooooo much that’s not up to me to decide and open for anyone to debate I’m sure, but this rationale makes no sense if you think nothing should ever improve cuz you specifically didn’t benefit from it.

Same thing in your own family, your parents suffered to come here to give you a better life... but you shouldn’t have a better life cuz they suffered so you should also suffer??? Huh?
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2018, 03:52 PM   #120
RS Veteran

We did get a handout when we came to Canada. It was called welfare, the food bank, and social housing. To make the situation even worse, we stayed at the Sylvia Hotel at English Bay for two months.

But the difference is, we had to pay it all back over time. We did not get a $25K stipend like they do today. The cherry on top - it was the original Trudeau who opened up immigration to families like ours to come to Canada. I am extremely grateful for being able to live in Canada, however, I do not agree to how the current refugee situation was handled. Like 68style said, it's not for me to decide, but certainly open for debate. I accept that we don't live in a perfect world, but not everyone out there is a freeloader. People who have already been marginalized by circumstances beyond their control should not have to suffer even further.

This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2018, 03:52 PM   #121
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Syria is getting bombed back into the stone age. Atleast we can help some of them out. How many of them we let in I don't know but to turn a blind eye is uncanadian.

Theres bad apples in every culture and you trump supporters had your pitchforks out waiting to pounce on this type of news.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:58 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I normally agree with your posts man but... you think something should never improve cuz you didn’t get the same benefits originally? This is the case in many facets of life... my parents didn’t get to fly as kids cuz no one flew... my grandparents didn’t get good medical help or drive anywhere cuz they were poor from the war and the medical system sucked due to lack of technology even tho they paid into it the same if not more than I have..

You can’t expect things to stay the same just cuz you didn’t get a bit extra and now the country is fortunate enough to help out more... maybe they help tooooo much that’s not up to me to decide and open for anyone to debate I’m sure, but this rationale makes no sense if you think nothing should ever improve cuz you specifically didn’t benefit from it.

Same thing in your own family, your parents suffered to come here to give you a better life... but you shouldn’t have a better life cuz they suffered so you should also suffer??? Huh?
i agree with your statements and i also agree with Prudz's statements but how can we justify giving 1 group of refugees handouts over another? i believe if we are to help, then help NEEDY canadians who are borderline starving first. Lets take care of our own and then if we have left over monies, give the immigrants/refugees.

You guys seriously can't think of somebody in your neighbourhood who's Canadian and could use 780 bucks a month? Why arent they getting the handout instead?
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-10-2018, 04:19 PM   #123
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
A Syrian refugee commits and crime and all of a sudden its representative of all Syrian refugees?
Come the fuck on GG. There are pieces of shit from all cultures, all social groups, all races. The individual is a piece of shit, however the family down the street trying their best to learn English after being FORCED from their country by war, and essentially a guarantee of violence and terror is not at fault because they share a country of birth with this person.
Tell me what your ethnic background is and I'll find you a fucking plethora of criminals, rapists, murderers and thieves from it.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.

Last edited by westopher; 09-10-2018 at 04:26 PM.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:32 PM   #124
RS Veteran

holy shit that's savage

Old 09-10-2018, 04:40 PM   #125
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
$1186/month/household doesn't seem like that much considering the cost of living these days. Either way I don't see how giving people more assistance than they have in the past so they have a better chance of success is a bad thing.

As for helping out existing Canadians, I don't get why homelessness/etc isn't covered at a national level. Right now every city has to try to deal with it on their own, but they know full well that a) there's a limit to what they can do based on city revenue and b) if they make it too good the homeless from the whole country will head there. Remember when Alberta and Sask gave bus tickets to BC to homeless people? That wouldn't be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportPsycho View Post
I say deport his ass back to Syria, he doesn't even deserve to spend his time in jail on tax payer's money.
So he can go free and head someplace else? Screw that, put him in jail here and write it off as international peacekeeping or something.

Quote:
yes i was gonna address that issue, but they do it in a different manner. Not hurting anyone DIRECTLY...

well murdering and petty crime....nothing gonna be as direct as that. I dont view them as serious as taking away a life
They may not do it directly, but they can lead to a loss of life.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote