REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2019, 01:24 AM   #551
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 242
Thanked 420 Times in 66 Posts
^you know what? I just realized Mazda offers a 2 tier AEB system, one is called
the smart city brake support and the other is called smart brake support which is part of the i-Actisense package in higher trim.

Smart brake support will brake automatically at full range from 15km/h or faster.

Smart city brake support will only brake automatically from 4 to 30km/h

I'd caution on the safe side and not get the AEB discount if your car only has the SCBS, ICBC could make a point and argue that your car doesn't have the complete version of AEB.

I thought about asking the broker... but you really gotta use your own judgement. Even if the broker said your car qualifies for the AEB discount, ICBC could still deny your claim when the time comes. By that time, what are you gonna say to ICBC? Go back and argue with that original broker?

I also thought about phoning to ICBC to confirm, but again it's only verbal confirmation. If only we could get a written documentation through email from ICBC, then I'd feel comfortable applying for the discount. The way ICBC lists the AEB braking discount on their website is too ambiguous.
Advertisement
anxiety is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2019, 06:41 AM   #552
Proud to be called a RS Regular!
 
Dbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 115
Thanked 125 Times in 36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark0821 View Post
well just to add to the pool.

I have no reference since I just bought a car.. but for what is worth...

$2042/yr for my 97 Miata

11 years 0 at fault history
0.575
31 yrs old

3mil 3rd party, $300/$300 comprehensive
for work within 15KM

(according to my agent, my "fair" market vaule for my car is $1700) so take it for what is worth, my insurance costs "more" than my car...
Two things to remember.
1- You aren't just insuring your car. It's you, and the cars/people you hit.
2 - Why bother with fully comp on a $2000 car?
Dbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:55 AM   #553
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
yray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: PENIS
Posts: 3,651
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,075 Posts
you can get bmw system and it will still count

__________________
There's a phallic symbol infront of my car

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you

Last edited by yray; 11-12-2019 at 09:05 AM.
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:15 AM   #554
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 2,920
Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,058 Posts
My insurance dropped ~$600 a year before I factor in the AEB discount - IF I don't list my wife.

If I add my wife I save about ~$100 a year with the AEB discount.

My driving record is clean 14 years; wife's driving record is clean but ~5 years.

I'm torn because she hasn't driven the car once in the past 1.5 years...what happens if I don't list her (because she legitimately doesn't drive)?
inv4zn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:15 AM   #555
Performance Moderator
 
68style's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Richmond
Posts: 8,438
Thanked 6,214 Times in 1,768 Posts
^
It's only a problem if she does drive and then she crashes...
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2019, 05:52 PM   #556
Revscene.net has a homepage?!
 
Speed2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: yvr
Posts: 1,274
Thanked 606 Times in 241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
My insurance dropped ~$600 a year before I factor in the AEB discount - IF I don't list my wife.

If I add my wife I save about ~$100 a year with the AEB discount.

My driving record is clean 14 years; wife's driving record is clean but ~5 years.

I'm torn because she hasn't driven the car once in the past 1.5 years...what happens if I don't list her (because she legitimately doesn't drive)?
Simple, make sure she never drives it.
__________________
www.instagram.com/alex.soo/
Speed2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:41 PM   #557
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Acura604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,414
Thanked 2,598 Times in 643 Posts
when i went to renew the RDX, the agent asked if it had 'autonomous braking'... the only thing i could think of was it has collision mitigation as described:

(would this be good enough for the additional discount?)







Autonomous emergency braking (AEB) is a safety feature that uses technology to anticipate when a vehicle is about to have a front-end collision and automatically engages the brakes without the driver’s action. Vehicles equipped with factory-installed autonomous emergency braking (AEB) will be eligible for a 10% discount as AEB has been statistically shown to help prevent crashes.

If you’re not sure whether your vehicle has AEB, check with your dealership or look in your ownership manual.

The advanced safety technology discount will apply to your Basic and some Optional coverages, as well as fleet and commercial non-fleet polices that meet the eligibility requirements.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:02 PM   #558
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35
Thanked 24 Times in 9 Posts
Just a heads up for anyone who's like me and kept their L for years out of laziness: the new discount calculation system will fuck you extremely hard. The old system counted your years of having an L as years of safe driving, the new system only counts from when you get your N. I lost like 6 years of safe driving history and thus lost my entire discount.
Niyeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:20 PM   #559
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 2,920
Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
when i went to renew the RDX, the agent asked if it had 'autonomous braking'... the only thing i could think of was it has collision mitigation as described:

(would this be good enough for the additional discount?)







Autonomous emergency braking (AEB) is a safety feature that uses technology to anticipate when a vehicle is about to have a front-end collision and automatically engages the brakes without the driver’s action. Vehicles equipped with factory-installed autonomous emergency braking (AEB) will be eligible for a 10% discount as AEB has been statistically shown to help prevent crashes.

If you’re not sure whether your vehicle has AEB, check with your dealership or look in your ownership manual.

The advanced safety technology discount will apply to your Basic and some Optional coverages, as well as fleet and commercial non-fleet polices that meet the eligibility requirements.
Your quote isn't showing up, but if it has a radar in the front and is capable of applying brakes on its own, then yes. My previous Civic had Honda Sensing which did that, I assume Acura's version would be the same if not better.
inv4zn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:47 PM   #560
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 2,920
Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
^
It's only a problem if she does drive and then she crashes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed2K View Post
Simple, make sure she never drives it.
That's easy enough to do, but how does the 'unlisted driver protection' fall into this? If I keep her off, and then the one time out of the blue she drives and crashes, do I just pay the $50 unlisted driver or am I in for a world of hurt?
inv4zn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:52 PM   #561
y'all better put some respeck on my name
 
Harvey Specter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 17,929
Thanked 8,825 Times in 2,200 Posts
So my insurance is up on my Lambo in two days and ICBC has yet to get back to my agent for the 3rd party liability insurance for supercars. He called them, they said they're working on it but he doesn't understand the delay because usually they issue the quote 30 days prior to the insurance expiring. Hopefully they get back to my agent later today or tomorrow.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 03:41 PM   #562
private modder
 
Eff-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Shore
Posts: 6,187
Thanked 1,823 Times in 476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niyeaux View Post
Just a heads up for anyone who's like me and kept their L for years out of laziness: the new discount calculation system will fuck you extremely hard. The old system counted your years of having an L as years of safe driving, the new system only counts from when you get your N. I lost like 6 years of safe driving history and thus lost my entire discount.
I don't have a problem with this at all. Having an L for six years shouldn't qualify you for the same discount as someone with six years of experience driving with their N or Class 5.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2019, 03:45 PM   #563
Lomac owned my ass at least once
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Richmond
Posts: 6,489
Thanked 11,204 Times in 2,852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
That's easy enough to do, but how does the 'unlisted driver protection' fall into this? If I keep her off, and then the one time out of the blue she drives and crashes, do I just pay the $50 unlisted driver or am I in for a world of hurt?
Also backpay any savings you might have earned by not listing her, plus some other kind of fine
__________________
https://i.imgur.com/4PRtABe.gif
320icar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 04:33 PM   #564
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35
Thanked 24 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
I don't have a problem with this at all. Having an L for six years shouldn't qualify you for the same discount as someone with six years of experience driving with their N or Class 5.
I mean if you're driving, you're driving. It's not like the class of license you have is determining how much actual driving experience you're getting. Some people with Ls drive all the time, some people have their class 5 and ride the bus every day. It's an arbitrary distinction.
Niyeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 04:54 PM   #565
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
Jmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Duncan, BC
Posts: 9,387
Thanked 4,859 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niyeaux View Post
I mean if you're driving, you're driving. It's not like the class of license you have is determining how much actual driving experience you're getting. Some people with Ls drive all the time, some people have their class 5 and ride the bus every day. It's an arbitrary distinction.
The person with the L who drives all the time is a substantially greater liability than the person who has a class 5 and rides the bus every day, all else being equal.
Jmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 04:56 PM   #566
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
Jmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Duncan, BC
Posts: 9,387
Thanked 4,859 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
That's easy enough to do, but how does the 'unlisted driver protection' fall into this? If I keep her off, and then the one time out of the blue she drives and crashes, do I just pay the $50 unlisted driver or am I in for a world of hurt?
It doesn't. Unlisted driver protection doesn't cover members of your household.

https://www.icbc.com/insurance/produ...rotection.aspx

Quote:
Exclusions to Unlisted Driver Protection
Even if you have opted for Unlisted Driver Protection, it will not protect you from the financial consequence if any of these people cause a crash in your car, as they should be listed on your policy:

Household members or employees (of the principal driver, registered owner, or lessee if the vehicle is leased)
Anyone who has driven any of your vehicles more than 12 days in the last year.
Unlicensed drivers, and those who have already caused a crash in one of your vehicles in the last five years (from September 1, 2019), are also excluded.

Find out more about listing drivers.
Jmac is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2019, 08:56 PM   #567
RS controls my life!
 
The Producer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 712
Thanked 2,250 Times in 432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niyeaux View Post
Just a heads up for anyone who's like me and kept their L for years out of laziness: the new discount calculation system will fuck you extremely hard. The old system counted your years of having an L as years of safe driving, the new system only counts from when you get your N. I lost like 6 years of safe driving history and thus lost my entire discount.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
replace that wood for who gets producer the wood.
The Producer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2019, 10:03 PM   #568
Need to Shave n Shower, but I CANT STOP POSTING ON RS
 
twitchyzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 19,430
Thanked 7,484 Times in 3,132 Posts
6 years on Learners?

did you renew your license at some point?

it's like never taking off your training wheels (25yo+ supervision)
__________________
My BST Feedback
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2019, 10:17 PM   #569
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS
 
underscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kel-pwn-a
Posts: 13,466
Thanked 6,264 Times in 2,688 Posts
6 years with all the restrictions of an L? That sounds horrible unless you barely drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Household members or employees (of the principal driver, registered owner, or lessee if the vehicle is leased)
How do you go about adding someone? Do they need to come in with you or do you just need their license # and DOB or something?
__________________
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S // 1991 Toyota Celica GTFour RC // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD
1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 01:35 AM   #570
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
Jmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Duncan, BC
Posts: 9,387
Thanked 4,859 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
6 years with all the restrictions of an L? That sounds horrible unless you barely drive.



How do you go about adding someone? Do they need to come in with you or do you just need their license # and DOB or something?
Driver’s license # I think was the only thing I needed from my fiancé when I renewed in September. It tells you on the renewal form.
Jmac is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-27-2019, 07:24 AM   #571
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY
 
hud 91gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,351
Thanked 2,835 Times in 1,123 Posts
When I went in to BCAA to investigate pricing they said legally if the person lives in your house you “have” to list them. Secondly, you can choose to list them as a driver or not. I do believe the price increase comes with the second part.
__________________
Crush - 1971 Datsun 240z - Build Thread
The Daily - Rav4 V6 - “Goldilocks”
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:17 AM   #572
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
yray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: PENIS
Posts: 3,651
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,075 Posts
25% on the driver with the shittiest discount

or pay $5k penalty if the person that crashes your car isn't listed
__________________
There's a phallic symbol infront of my car

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:25 AM   #573
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 2,920
Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
25% on the driver with the shittiest discount

or pay $5k penalty if the person that crashes your car isn't listed
Misleading, it's UP TO $5k.
inv4zn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:36 AM   #574
I'm invisible
 
Edison_Chen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 604 Vancouver
Posts: 4,417
Thanked 160 Times in 91 Posts
^ thats just the basic component. 15x the difference if they were added or up to a maximum of 5k on the basic. It turns into a debt if unpaid. The optional coverages has something similar.
__________________
REVscene.net
Edison_Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 02:30 PM   #575
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!
 
mikemhg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 900
Thanked 934 Times in 334 Posts
I'm still confused here on the unlisted driver change.

My girlfriend does not live with me. Occasionally she'll use my car (maybe once a month, if that).

If she drives my car next week and gets into an accident, what would happen? I don't renew until January, by the way.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net