REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-05-2020, 07:51 PM   #676
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
To reduce your premiums by listing another driver, they have to be part of your household, or an employee.
Not just an acquaintance.
That's not true.

Quote:
Under the new model, at-fault crashes will follow the driver, not the vehicle owner. For example, if your friend causes a crash using your vehicle, the claim will count on their driving record, not yours. Listing those who drive your car helps to make sure they're accountable for the crash, and the risk involved in insuring your car is accurately assessed.

The majority (75%) of your Basic insurance premium will be based on the principal driver (the person who will drive the vehicle the most). Of the other listed drivers, the one with the highest level of risk will make up the remaining 25%.

For detailed information on listing drivers visit drivers, experience, and crash history.

Who drives your car
For policies effective September 1, 2019, one of the biggest changes you’ll notice when you buy or renew your insurance is that we will ask you to list who drives your car.

Under the old model, if a friend borrowed your car and caused a crash, the claim would go on your crash history, rather than theirs. As of September 1, crashes follow the driver – so the claim will go on your friend’s crash history, not yours. This helps to make sure the right person is held accountable for the crash.

Listing drivers won’t necessarily mean you pay more. It will depend on each listed driver’s experience and crash history.

Who should I list?

You should list those who drive your vehicle, such as:

Household members and employees (of the principal driver, registered owner, or lessee if the vehicle is leased)
Learners
Others, such as friends and family, who will use your car
Drivers can be added or removed from your policy at any time.

Why do I need to list drivers?

Knowing who will drive your car helps us to accurately assess the risk and ensure the right person is held accountable in the event of an at-fault crash.

If an unlisted driver causes a crash in your car, you could face a financial consequence unless you have opted for Unlisted Driver Protection. However, this does not protect you from the financial consequence if a household member, employee, or other regular driver causes a crash, as they should be listed on your policy.
Advertisement
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2020, 07:52 PM   #677
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Class action suit against ICBC and the government.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...suit-1.5483879

So if the government is guilty, they will pay the plaintiff using the plaintiff's own money collected via taxes. Nice.
ssjGoku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:52 PM   #678
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,221 Times in 1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
To reduce your premiums by listing another driver, they have to be part of your household, or an employee.
Not just an acquaintance.
Where does it say that about the discount only applying to them? I can't find anything on it. All I see on their website is

It's important to list household members, employees or others who will drive your car, as they are excluded from Unlisted Driver Protection. That means if they aren't listed on your policy and cause a crash in your car, the financial consequence could apply.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:55 PM   #679
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
That's not true.
Oh crap. My bad.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:58 PM   #680
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,221 Times in 1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
The part where you admitted you would be the only person driving the car but you're going to add a driver anyways for the discount?

For someone like me who will be the only person driving my truck, it makes sense to put the most experienced driver I know as a driver on my insurance and pay less with no repercussions.

I don't give a rats ass if you want to add Bernie Sanders and and Louis Hamilton as your 2nd driver, I'm just explaining how it works and the logic behind it.
The logic behind it is stupid and so is ICBC if they think people won't catch on to this and save some money. Anyways make sure you drive to the police station and demand a ticket the next time you drive over the speed limit.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:01 PM   #681

It does seem like quite the oversight.

Feels like it should be 75% on the primary driver and 25% on the owner/lessee (or whatever split you want to make it). 100% if the primary driver is also the owner/lessee.

It's pretty easy for ICBC to find out who the primary driver is in an investigation. Almost impossible to verify whether a person drove your vehicle once that year and wasn't involved in a claim.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:40 PM   #682
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Quote:
Well no one, but no one can regulate anything really just like how you can lie on the sale price of the craigslist car you bought
They do regulate that, there's a few threads about it on here.

Quote:
That's not how it works. The logic is if the driver you added has more diving experience than you, and will from time to time use you car, that means you (the less experienced) will not drive it as much, therefore the risk of claim is lower.
While it is lower, not many people will actually have the other person driving their car 25% of the time.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:26 AM   #683
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I added my mom as secondary driver to all my cars and got a bit of savings. Don't see why you wouldn't do it just to have some savings and they can drive your car in emergencies.
bomberR17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:26 AM   #684
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,725 Times in 950 Posts
Double post

Last edited by trollface; 03-06-2020 at 08:38 AM.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:37 AM   #685

Thanked 3,725 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
They do regulate that, there's a few threads about it on here.

While it is lower, not many people will actually have the other person driving their car 25% of the time.
When you catch a tiny tiny % of these, there is no regulation. The people that get caught are always going to be the vocal bunch asking for advice on here, you'll never see threads about people bragging about tax evasion.

Adding drivers makes perfect sense for a household where no everyone has a car.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:50 AM   #686
Need to Seek Professional Help

Its great David Eby is trying to put legislation or something in place so the gov't can't take the profits from ICBC. All that profits should be going back into ICBC and the drivers.
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2020, 09:48 AM   #687
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,644 Times in 1,043 Posts
^^ why? ICBC should operate net zero financially. no profit, no loss

run the company leaner, lose half the executives and make ICBC what it should be, a service that we're lucky to have in this province.

that's what this government should be focused on.
The Producer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:06 AM   #688
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

so my optional insurance company mailed me , asking for 20 years of claim history. and driving records. after i got the insurance in jan, wtf.

20 years. isn't that overkill?
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:34 PM   #689

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
^bcaa only wanted 10. Stupid part is I'm lowest possible discount with bcaa, yet I'm somehow not the lowest premium with icbc because of an accident I had in 2007
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:13 AM   #690

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Producer View Post
^^ why? ICBC should operate net zero financially. no profit, no loss

run the company leaner, lose half the executives and make ICBC what it should be, a service that we're lucky to have in this province.

that's what this government should be focused on.
That’s all well and good to say ICBC should be non-profit, but any company should have a buffer, especially in an industry where costs can vary substantially year-to-year.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2020, 08:57 AM   #691
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Cuz if you hit my ass and I get fucked up, I’m pretty sure my expenses (and thus you’ll be liable) will be wayyy more than a million bucks.

You’re just playing the odds here man. If you hit a van full of people or even two moderately high income individuals and say they can’t work for a few years, you’ll be screwed.

Pain and suffering is capped now. But future loss of income as far as I know isn’t.

What’s the extra few million anyways ? 100-200 bucks a year ? Pennies for piece of mind. I always get 5 million.
Unless you get hit by some succesfull business owner, good luck trying to sue anyone who works a regular job for millions, hundreds or even thousands.

Ambulance chasers always go after more money because money is readily available (ICBC). Or the 250-500k earners you talked about. But I wish them good luck trying to privately sue someone who underinsured himself and only had the basic 200k.

Also, doesn't ICBC has an underinsured protection if you get hit by exactly someone like this, who is underinsured?

Quote:

It's pretty easy for ICBC to find out who the primary driver is in an investigation. Almost impossible to verify whether a person drove your vehicle once that year and wasn't involved in a claim.
How will they find out who the primary driver is? I find it just as impossible, unless maybe they introduce some sort of app tracking and entice people with extra discounts (Where they can see the frequently used route).
Messerschmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:09 AM   #692

In an investigation, they talk to people.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2020, 01:46 PM   #693
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
just had my insurance renewed... and went up 2k in price... called in to find out ICBC's system dinged me for an accident that wasn't my fault. waiting for them to make the adjustment and return some of my money.
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:48 PM   #694
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,506 Times in 3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messerschmitt View Post
Unless you get hit by some succesfull business owner, good luck trying to sue anyone who works a regular job for millions, hundreds or even thousands.

Ambulance chasers always go after more money because money is readily available (ICBC). Or the 250-500k earners you talked about. But I wish them good luck trying to privately sue someone who underinsured himself and only had the basic 200k.

Also, doesn't ICBC has an underinsured protection if you get hit by exactly someone like this, who is underinsured?
correct, thats why i also load up on the underinsured protection too. Its not that much more (i think 50 bucks a year) and it tops up to 3 million in my case.

https://www.icbc.com/insurance/produ...rotection.aspx
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:08 PM   #695
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,644 Times in 1,043 Posts
Quote:
correct, thats why i also load up on the underinsured protection too. Its not that much more (i think 50 bucks a year) and it tops up to 3 million in my case.

don't forget you have to buy this for each insurance policy now, not just one like it used to be until 2 years ago

more cash grab
The Producer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:05 PM   #696
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
2013 Honda CRV, over 15km to work based in Victoria, 3 drivers max discount $1600 annual premium. Last year was $1450.

1992 Chevrolet Cavalier (beater) cheapest insurance possible other than storage, no collision/comprehensive, one driver max discount, $700 annual premium.

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:13 PM   #697
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
why not get something made this millennium...80s domestic to daily around isn't safe

looks like on the mazda my rate is the same or even $100 cheaper

didn't keep the original paper only the cancellation one...i assume i'm comparing annual net premium from 2019 vs annual insurance total of 2020?

also noticed it works out cheaper to insure only 9 months and let it lapse than to cancel/plate again
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:03 PM   #698
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I am looking at the point of getting lots of extra 3rd party liability if they capped the payouts. Have a look at this link, https://www.icbc.com/partners/health...artners-qa.pdf

So minor injury payout is $5500. Death benefit it $30,000. The new overall recovery cost is $300,000 but this has to be a major injury. You can't trust what the autoplan agent is saying, they just want to sell everything. According to this, in order to need $5mil 3rd party liability you will have to hurt lots of people. If they all die you can hit 166, if they live you can only seriously injure 16. The definition of minor injury pretty much covers everything short of permanent brain damage or losing limbs.

So many changes. I'm thinking about lowering my 3rd party for others not a bad idea of putting it into another policy for myself.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:50 AM   #699
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaznviper View Post
just had my insurance renewed... and went up 2k in price... called in to find out ICBC's system dinged me for an accident that wasn't my fault. waiting for them to make the adjustment and return some of my money.
went up BY 2k or went up TO 2k?

from how much?
MRSky88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:19 PM   #700
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
That's not true.
No, it is true. I am a licensed ICBC salesperson as I just tested out the situation and you indeed do not get a cheaper premium if they are not listed as a household member. The CDF on your policy is solely the IDF of the PO (if PO's IDF is the highest) if no other household member is listed. I can send proof to a DM as I would rather not show a screenshot of the broker's site to the public.

Example 1, my own IDF is 0.829 and my friend's IDF is 0.515. My friend is listed on the policy, but not as a household member. CDF = 0.829
Example 2, my own IDF is 0.829 and my friend's IDF is 0.515. My friend is listed on the policy as a household member. CDF = 0.750
Example 3, my own IDF is 0.829 and my friend's IDF is 0.943. My friend is listed on the policy, but not as a household member. CDF = 0.857

EDIT: added wording and examples

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messerschmitt View Post

Yes, basic comes with $1,000,000 of UMP. Flat rate $25 for 2M, $30 for 3M, $35 for 4M, $40 for 5M.

Last edited by jasonc97; 03-10-2020 at 05:47 PM.
jasonc97 is offline   Reply With Quote