REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-29-2019, 07:12 AM   #451
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,438 Times in 5,110 Posts
^ it’s comparing it to an existing policy within 45 days of the renewal date... not possible
Advertisement
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:53 AM   #452
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Maybe I'm not following this thread properly but weren't ppl being turned away from autobrokers when trying to get a quote for insurance? Including an example where someone was trying to shop for a car and wanted to know what the insurance will cost?
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:24 AM   #453
Performance Moderator

Someone did say that, but it was mentioned after that the broker was just being a lazy fuck
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2019, 11:32 AM   #454
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
tell us how and where

i'd like to see how anyone is spending way more on insurance than vehicle value

if this is their way to reduce carbon footprint by discouraging more vehicles on the road, it's brilliant though
Years back a kid moved from Alberta to BC to go to college because the lowest insurance quote her could get was something like $20k/yr. He had a pretty bad driving record though.

The 2010 Altima I made up on the last page would be worth less than that insurance quote as well.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:55 AM   #455
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
tell us how and where

i'd like to see how anyone is spending way more on insurance than vehicle value

if this is their way to reduce carbon footprint by discouraging more vehicles on the road, it's brilliant though
It’s easy on old cars, or anything bought for under $1000. I bought my one car at auction for next to nothing, insurance for the year is 4.5x what the car cost me insuring on the old system. $371car - $17xx for a years insurance.

I can’t wait to see what my renewal will be. It might be time to drop the additional coverages.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:21 PM   #456
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
it's insured against its market value, ie when they have to replace it, not what you paid

if I pay $400 for my friends 99 lexus doesn't mean I expect insurance to be less than that
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:55 AM   #457
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Someone did say that, but it was mentioned after that the broker was just being a lazy fuck
Cause they are. Tons of them will say its "ICBC Policy" not to give a quote over the phone, but I've had my luck with a few places. I wanted to know what the quote was for my M3 under this new policy and the first couple of places said they don't do quotes over the phone cause of ICBCs policy. I got my luck with another place who gave me what I wanted.

It really is them being lazy, as they want you to come into the store on the chance you'll purchase insurance from that agent.

If you're a broker that gives quotes over the phone, you're a real one for not spewing bullshit.

Not sure if I've commented about my insurance increase here or not but

My insurance went from $4,269 if I renewed in August to $4,886 since I didn't renew in August lol.

$4,269 would have been my 25% discount

I'll break it down even further.

2009 BMW M3 Sedan
No at fault accidents
Only two tickets
Excessive Noise(disputed and lost) and obstructing traffic (was in a parking lot didn't dispute) lol

First year @ 15% discount was $5,555.65
Second year @ 20% discount was $4,879.xx
Third year @ 25% discount was supposed to be $4,269.xx but is now $4,886.xx

I should have renewed in August but I wasn't driving the car lol.
E90M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:24 AM   #458

Thanked 3,738 Times in 956 Posts
Just renewed. Same policy as last year, no claims, no tix.

Went up 200 bucks.

Yo, how TF do you afford 5k to insure a m3? lol
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:32 AM   #459
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
Just renewed. Same policy as last year, no claims, no tix.

Went up 200 bucks.

Yo, how TF do you afford 5k to insure a m3? lol
5k for a perfomance car... that's ok... a friend of mine who just relocated back bought a SUV and because he didn't have a DL when he moved back, and now, coming from a foreign DL, even with proof that he had never had any accidents or anything, his insurance on the SUV is a tad over 8000 a year...

I was like da faq? that's like his car payment.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:36 AM   #460
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
coming from a foreign DL, even with proof that he had never had any accidents or anything, his insurance on the SUV is a tad over 8000 a year...
Your friend is doing something wrong , did he transfer DL or just went to get a brand new one

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:51 AM   #461
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3 View Post
I'll break it down even further.

2009 BMW M3 Sedan
No at fault accidents
Only two tickets
Excessive Noise(disputed and lost) and obstructing traffic (was in a parking lot didn't dispute) lol
That's the one you should have disputed, you can't get a MVA violation in a parking lot, it's private property.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:19 AM   #462
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
That's the one you should have disputed, you can't get a MVA violation in a parking lot, it's private property.
A parking lot completely open and accessible to the public does not count as private property
Old 10-02-2019, 11:41 AM   #463

Per the MVA Motor Vehicle Act

Quote:
"highway" includes

(a) every highway within the meaning of the Transportation Act,

(b) every road, street, lane or right of way designed or intended for or used by the general public for the passage of vehicles, and

(c) every private place or passageway to which the public, for the purpose of the parking or servicing of vehicles, has access or is invited,
So unless it's gated off, it counts as a highway and you can get tickets.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 10-02-2019, 11:45 AM   #464

Tl;dr: In Alberta, if you have certain tickets (like distracted driving) insurers won't give you collision or comprehensive since they aren't required to by law. On top of that, everyone requires full coverage to be approved for financing so if you get a ticket you can't finance a vehicle.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...UfdGh2vhHgnrIM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2019, 12:14 PM   #465
I STILL don't get it

I read about that days ago and put a lot of thought into it. That's rough but makes sense why insurance companies started doing this. Myself, I don't want this because i'm no angel and could see myself ending up being denied in the future as every now and then I change music on spotify while at lights but I can understand where they are coming from with their policies.

Distracted driving is the cause of more deaths than driving under the influence. Something that is so wide spread causing more deaths should have heavy consequences. Before someone gets into a heated debate, even if you disagree with that statement, it's debatable and does cause a high number of fatalities. Which is worse, who really cares? They both cause high numbers. When we read a story about someone impaired everyone understands their insurance is ruined and they are taking the bus. We often don't feel sympathetic and people band up and hope the driver is never allowed back on the road even if they didn't kill someone. Why isn't it the same with distracted driving? We all understand the risk if we are caught driving under the influence. Many of us choose not to so we don't worry about our insurance rates increasing and being unable to drive. What makes people upset in this situation is the fact most of us all still check our phones while driving whether we want to admit it or not. Suddenly this becomes a real possibility our lives could be disrupted with major consequences. I think as a society many of us still don't fully understand how dangerous it is to be on your phone while driving and what such a small choice can have on someone else's life.

I was hit by a lady texting and vaping at the same time in a hot boxed car. I was dead stop letting a lady with a baby cross the street. She hit me with super late braking at 30-40km/hr. 6 months of physio, some back pain, blah blah blah cry me a river. The point, her small action of looking at her phone fucked my car up, caused a serious accident and I almost ran over a small child and mother (my car got launched about 10 feet towards them). Her actions should have serious consequences. Not just a slap on the wrist. Pissed me off too, not even a ticket from the cops despite 3 witnesses confirming her being distracted.

To summarize, I get it, I don't want it, but I get it.

Last edited by prudz; 10-02-2019 at 12:26 PM.
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2019, 12:30 PM   #466
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
^^ you ride too, right? It’s amazing how many people you see on their phones when you’re on a bike. That extra height and 360° view makes it so obvious. There is no way people aren’t aware it’s illegal. They just don’t care
Old 10-02-2019, 03:22 PM   #467

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
They should not be treated equally.

DUI is objective.
Distracted driving is subjective.

Get a ticket for a phone in your cup holder and then have to lawyer up to get it reversed?

https://globalnews.ca/news/5977523/b...ne-cup-holder/
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:39 PM   #468
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Tl;dr: In Alberta, if you have certain tickets (like distracted driving) insurers won't give you collision or comprehensive since they aren't required to by law. On top of that, everyone requires full coverage to be approved for financing so if you get a ticket you can't finance a vehicle.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...UfdGh2vhHgnrIM
People want private insurance instead of ICBC but forget grass isn't always greener on the other side

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2019, 04:41 PM   #469
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
A parking lot completely open and accessible to the public does not count as private property
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Per the MVA Motor Vehicle Act

So unless it's gated off, it counts as a highway and you can get tickets.
i had a rcmp ticket canceled because it was on a private road (not gated off)
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:58 PM   #470

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudz View Post
I read about that days ago and put a lot of thought into it. That's rough but makes sense why insurance companies started doing this. Myself, I don't want this because i'm no angel and could see myself ending up being denied in the future as every now and then I change music on spotify while at lights but I can understand where they are coming from with their policies.
I'm definitely not defending distracted driving, more just pointing out the general fact that private insurance means that if the insurance companies don't like you for any reason they can refuse to insure you. Reading the comments on FB was interesting because it seemed like everyone hated having private insurance. Maybe that just boils down to most people wanting something that doesn't exist and they haven't figured that out yet.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-03-2019, 07:41 AM   #471

Thanked 3,738 Times in 956 Posts
Fun facts:

So, insurance brokers we visit to renew our insurance are paid a commission on the basic and then additional commission on additional coverage. The avg policy will pay the agent around 100-140 dollars in commission.

Why is online renewal not a thing? The agents literally do nothing but check, checkboxes on ICBC's web portal and hand you a sticker. Why is this worth 140 in commissions when ICBC is running at a loss every single year? There are 3.7 registered cars in BC. Take 3.7m and multiply that by $140. 518m in fees.

It's 2019. Why can't I do this online and have ICBC mail me the $2,000 sticker and we skip the middle man and save everyone 140 bucks in bs fees. Good for the consumer, good for Icbc's bottom line.

I can renew my gun license online with a picture I took of myself taking a shit. RCMP mails me my licenses and I can go online and buy a shotgun and have Canada post deliver it to my door.

I can't get a fucking sticker once a year without having to go through a broker?

Why is this a thing?
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2019, 08:43 AM   #472
I don't get it

Man, you should charge ICBC a fat consulting fee since you can save them $500m annually.

How much influence does the BC insurance industry have on ICBC/decision makers?
ssjGoku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:49 AM   #473
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,437 Times in 376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
Fun facts:

So, insurance brokers we visit to renew our insurance are paid a commission on the basic and then additional commission on additional coverage. The avg policy will pay the agent around 100-140 dollars in commission.
That's interesting. What happens to the original agent's commission when you cancel a policy or change coverage at a different broker?
'06 BMW 330i [RIP]

'02 BMW M3
'99 Honda Civic SIR [sold]
'19 Civic Type R[sold]
'22 MINI Cooper SE
My Photojournal: simplexcars
Simplex123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:10 AM   #474
Performance Moderator

There must be a reason they do it that way, because even in provinces and in the USA where private insurance is everywhere you turn, private companies also just franchise everything and pay their franchisees a commission for every transaction.

I think the infrastructure required within to house and train and manage enough employees to process the volume of renewals and deal with all the inquiries is much larger than you might be thinking it is.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:31 AM   #475
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Quote:
There must be a reason they do it that way, because even in provinces and in the USA where private insurance is everywhere you turn, private companies also just franchise everything and pay their franchisees a commission for every transaction.

I think the infrastructure required within to house and train and manage enough employees to process the volume of renewals and deal with all the inquiries is much larger than you might be thinking it is.
Coming from an IT background, I'd say a good bunch of the processing can be done by the computer -- verification and such. A lot of responsibility also gets off-loaded to the consumer when things go online, and this should be no different.

That is not to say you can completely eliminate human verification / intervention. They are still needed to spot check, handle the difficult cases, take part in part of the process, etc. But I agree that a lot of this should have been automated in an online environment.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote