REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-03-2019, 09:39 AM   #476
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,738 Times in 956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjGoku69 View Post

How much influence does the BC insurance industry have on ICBC/decision makers?
Must be massive.

I didn't ask about what happens when policies get cancled etc, but I can find out. The numbers came straight from someone that's worked it for 10+ years. Ever wonder why some brokers are willing to drive the paperwork to your house? Makes perfect sense now for $140 bucks.
Advertisement

Last edited by trollface; 10-03-2019 at 09:45 AM.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:41 AM   #477
I STILL don't get it

$2,300 last year. 43% discount.
$2,209 this year estimated via icbc/getanestimate website.

2007 Corolla
29 Yr old Male
Pho Bich Nga neighbourhood.
ssjGoku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2019, 01:06 PM   #478
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
They should not be treated equally.

DUI is objective.
Distracted driving is subjective.

Get a ticket for a phone in your cup holder and then have to lawyer up to get it reversed?

https://globalnews.ca/news/5977523/b...ne-cup-holder/
And this is why I agree with you. I'm not saying I want it, i'm just saying I see where insurance in coming from. Police often go overboard and the repercussions are high. The last line of my post, I get it, i don't want it, but I get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I'm definitely not defending distracted driving, more just pointing out the general fact that private insurance means that if the insurance companies don't like you for any reason they can refuse to insure you. Reading the comments on FB was interesting because it seemed like everyone hated having private insurance. Maybe that just boils down to most people wanting something that doesn't exist and they haven't figured that out yet.
I had private insurance back in AB under td meloche monnex. Insurance for 3 vehicles, full coverage, 1 600cc sport bike and 2 million liability was less than i'm paying now for 1 vehicle through ICBC. Private insurance is harsh for people with bad records, it's amazing for people who have clean records. When I was paying td I always felt like public insurance was better and i'd be paying less. I'd be so happy to be back paying private insurance.

Last edited by prudz; 10-03-2019 at 01:21 PM.
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:26 PM   #479
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
Fun facts:

So, insurance brokers we visit to renew our insurance are paid a commission on the basic and then additional commission on additional coverage. The avg policy will pay the agent around 100-140 dollars in commission.
i suspected something like this was the case

the fucker at dealership said i can't drive off the lot with only basic insurance if financing after i declined everything he offered... canceled a few days later but didn't get around to reporting his ass

Quote:
private insurance means that if the insurance companies don't like you for any reason they can refuse to insure you.
driving is a privilege

much like buying a place, if your credit is shit no one will approve you a mortgage

i welcome all the big players down south (allstate, safeco, geico etc) to rip icbc a new asshole
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:41 PM   #480
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
i suspected something like this was the case

the fucker at dealership said i can't drive off the lot with only basic insurance if financing after i declined everything he offered... canceled a few days later but didn't get around to reporting his ass
It is actually written in your bank finance agreement "You shall keep the Goods insured for the full insurable value."

You may cancel any insurance all you want but when something happens the bank will reserve the right to sue you.

Of course I am talking about ICBC insurance, you are not required to enter a contract with life/disability insurance or warranty.
Funnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:47 PM   #481
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
You're right, it is. But according to the gov't these people are still permitted the privilege to drive. They can borrow a car or rent one but they can't properly insure their own. I'm curious what happens if you lose the required coverage partway through financing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudz View Post
Private insurance is harsh for people with bad records, it's amazing for people who have clean records. When I was paying td I always felt like public insurance was better and i'd be paying less. I'd be so happy to be back paying private insurance.
Since you have firsthand experience with it do you know why the quotes I got online from TD were so high? It was all with spotless records and way higher than what I pay here. From my (limited) understanding Alberta was good when there was legislation limiting rate increases but now that it's gone rates have been cranking up a lot.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:38 PM   #482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnel View Post
It is actually written in your bank finance agreement "You shall keep the Goods insured for the full insurable value."

You may cancel any insurance all you want but when something happens the bank will reserve the right to sue you.
i told the insurance agent i already have 3rd party through the same company he was trying to sell me (intact/belair)

unless i missed it when i had glance nowhere on the contract does it say i cant drive without additional icbc coverage

anyways car's been paid off

Quote:
You're right, it is. But according to the gov't these people are still permitted the privilege to drive. They can borrow a car or rent one but they can't properly insure their own.
again on the home ownership analogy, even if you have poor credit you can still airbnb/crash a friend's

any insurance public or private should have the right to deny a policy if your risk is too high

even if my record is average at least there's still options
Old 10-04-2019, 09:00 AM   #483
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Since you have firsthand experience with it do you know why the quotes I got online from TD were so high? It was all with spotless records and way higher than what I pay here. From my (limited) understanding Alberta was good when there was legislation limiting rate increases but now that it's gone rates have been cranking up a lot.
My rates were before the NDP changed some rules recently (5 years back). You actually have it backwards. The NDP put forward the legislation that limited rate increases and that is what caused insurance companies to start reacting in the current manner. They are now trying to find ways to limit their exposure to bad drivers so they can continue to be profitable. There was no rate limiting when I was insured in AB. TD Meloche Monnex is not the same as regular TD insurance btw they are actually two different types of insurances. Honest answer, no idea. All I know is my rates were drastically less than now and I had 4 vehicles compared to the 1 now.

Last edited by prudz; 10-04-2019 at 09:07 AM.
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:02 AM   #484
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,453 Times in 5,114 Posts
My best friend lives in Calgary and his wife runs an insurance agency... he's got at least 4 cars including a Mercedes, Porsche and Tesla and as a whole he pays less than I do here for 2 super old cars. We're both the same age.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2019, 04:34 PM   #485
I'm invisible

Based on experience, if the vehicles are financed through the manufacturer and or a third party bank they use, there should be a statement on the contract that says the chicle must be insured with full coverages. Different banks have different limits. Usually there is a lien which is attached to the vehicle. When there is an accident, I believe icbc also does a lien check and pays out to them first ?

Lease vehicles are similar from a insurance perspective and the vehicle requires full coverage. Some small in house leasing companies may also required the lesser to purchase replacement cost if the vehicle is eligible for it.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:33 AM   #486
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

So we renewed the 05 Pathfinder in Aug, drove for a month and cancelled it. Renewed again yesterday with a combined drive factor of .540

old with 43% discount
$2011 base discounted to $1146
$2mil liab $292
$2mil underinsidered motorist protection $25
$500 comp deductible $140
$300 collision deductible $67
totals $1670
annual lic fee $84
plate fee $18
total amount due $1772

new with drive factor .540
$1105 base
$2mil liab $269
$2mil underinsidered motorist protection $25
$500 comp deductible $137
$300 collision deductible $80
totals $1616
annual lic fee $84
plate fee $18
$1718 total

So it's now $54 cheaper, the rates all changed. The collision went up the most. For what I pay for collision and Comp it's not really worth dropping them.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2019, 02:57 PM   #487
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,044 Times in 2,077 Posts
Petition to fight ICBC’s monopoly.

http://chng.it/6wrLCXjY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:36 PM   #488
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Spelling, grammar, and a coherent argument are all sorely lacking in that petition.

Rates aren’t high because ICBC has a monopoly on basic insurance. We had the 3rd lowest rates in the country less than 10 years ago with the same system (note: the other two ahead of us at the time had similar systems) and the two highest at the time were 100% private.

We’re in this mess because our government sold us out.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:25 AM   #489
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,453 Times in 5,114 Posts
^
“Balanced budgets” fuck when was the last time a government balanced a budget anywhere... without selling off crown assets or dipping into slush funds like ICBC to pad the bottom line...
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2019, 07:38 AM   #490
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,738 Times in 956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Petition to fight ICBC’s monopoly.

http://chng.it/6wrLCXjY
That is the stupidest petition I've ever seen in my life. It literally offers no solutions, just "End it".

Then what?
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2019, 12:02 PM   #491
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Ugh. My wife just renewed. She will be paying $800 more per year. What bullshit. Mine will probably go up too since she will be listed under mine (both no accidents but she is younger then I). 17 years, zero claims not even a bloody windshield.

Edit: god damn. I forgot when she got her new CRV she swiped a poll and scratched the door. Totally forgot about this. We put it on her ICBC as it wouldn’t affect her rates at the time due to previous history. Our combined factor is .686. Mine is .56. God damn! That was not worth the $1000 savings putting that through insurance. Jesus.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 10-07-2019 at 12:39 PM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:19 PM   #492
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,437 Times in 376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
Edit: god damn. I forgot when she got her new CRV she swiped a poll and scratched the door. Totally forgot about this. We put it on her ICBC as it wouldn’t affect her rates at the time due to previous history. Our combined factor is .686. Mine is .56. God damn! That was not worth the $1000 savings putting that through insurance. Jesus.
You can still pay that off. See how it works out with that. It could go both ways.
'06 BMW 330i [RIP]

'02 BMW M3
'99 Honda Civic SIR [sold]
'19 Civic Type R[sold]
'22 MINI Cooper SE
My Photojournal: simplexcars
Simplex123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:33 PM   #493

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplex123 View Post
You can still pay that off. See how it works out with that. It could go both ways.
IIRC you have to pay within 12 months of the claim
Old 10-07-2019, 02:12 PM   #494

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplex123 View Post
Really? This was about 2 years ago. We will definitely investigate. If my insurance will see a similar increase due to it, it certainly may be worthwhile.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:32 PM   #495
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
Old 10-07-2019, 04:36 PM   #496
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
That's the one you should have disputed, you can't get a MVA violation in a parking lot, it's private property.
City Property, unfortunately I did my research before I went and paid.
E90M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:37 PM   #497
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
Just renewed. Same policy as last year, no claims, no tix.

Went up 200 bucks.

Yo, how TF do you afford 5k to insure a m3? lol
Save money from the previous year, however, I havent insured the car again. Im not down to pay $5k essentially again.
E90M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:25 PM   #498
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
Went and renewed three vehicles today, without changing any of the coverages on them. I'mclaims free and accidents free. I went from a 43% discount in the system, to a 0.54 factor under the new system.

2005 Subaru Impreza - increased by $111.00 a year.
2018 Flat Deck Auto Trailer - increased by $1.00 a year.
1958 VW Beetle - decreased by $67.00 a year.

Personally, I don't believe that ICBC's claimed 56% of users are saving an average of $206/yr under the new system. I'm now 40 years old, zero claims, and my 14 year old car beater is going up?

Having also lived under the private insurance system in Ontario, however, I know the private also doesn't work. It's definitely better for the average consumer who is claims free, and drives an appliance vehicle. But for any of us who are vehicle enthusiasts, it aims to penalize you at every opportunity. When I left Ontario, it was actually impossible to insure a car with modifications. Swapped wheels? No one would take you. All of the modified cars out there were like collector plate cars here that modify after they get the plates - They're paying for insurance, but the fine print gives every right for the company to deny coverage.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:10 PM   #499
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,236 Times in 1,222 Posts
Ugh I don't know, the older I get the less I care. Coming from someone who currently drives a vehicle that probably wouldn't pass 'private insurance specifications', if I could pay less than the bullshit price hikes ICBC has given me year after year when I'm 17+ years deep of claims free driving, I'll gladly trade my vehicle in for a stock vehicle and leave it at that.

If not having aftermarket wheels saves me money then fuck it, I'm at a time in my life where I'll buy a vehicle that looks great stock and be done with it. What I'm not cool with is being penalized every year for other people being shitty drivers.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-08-2019, 07:51 PM   #500

sounds like basic risk mgmt?

you swap suspension/footwork/go even lower profile/meatier rubber and have at best a finger or two width of clearance to be used on shitty pothole roads = more likely gonna make claims

we've just had it way too easy when it comes to insuring modified vehicles, if i were a insurance company why would i wanna cover someone who had to do fab/custom work on a motor swap that doesn't directly bolt on? probably a fire hazard waiting to happen...certain italian exotics should be included under that umbrella

if it brings the rate down for the motorist with good records/demonstrated minimal risk, i'm all for it

Last edited by twitchyzero; 10-08-2019 at 07:58 PM.