REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-12-2020, 01:39 PM   #626
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,177 Times in 354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Even with southern Ontario's rampant level of insurance fraud, they still pay less than here.
Definitely true for some!
Here's what I've noticed living in Ontario:

Yes - experienced and accident free drivers will pay ~1200 instead of ~1800

No - inexperienced drivers will pay about double (3400 for my first N year in Richmond, 6400 in Markham)

No - ICBC will slap on a surcharge if you have a couple tickets, Ontario insurers will drop you and then you'll have to pay double/triple with Facility

No - ICBC won't drop you and send you to facility after an accident or two

No - Lexus/Toyota SUV drivers are being asked for $5000 deductibles because of the high theft rates

No - you'll likely lose your no accident discount after a not at fault accident.
Advertisement

Past:
- '09 Ducati Monster 696 "Ketchup"
- '20 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7
- '20 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '19 Toyota Camry LE
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2020, 01:39 PM   #627
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,374 Times in 1,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed2K View Post
This is incorrect, according to ICBC, the 12 days a year or less does not apply to household members. https://www.icbc.com/insurance/produ...rotection.aspx

"It's important to list household members, employees or others who will drive your car, as they are excluded from Unlisted Driver Protection. That means if they aren't listed on your policy and cause a crash in your car, the financial consequence could apply."
So it also excludes situations like a medical emergency. But what about when you go out drinking with your buddies and you get your sober friend to drive you home. Do you have to list every possible designated driver you could use?

Seems to me this policy is encouraging more impaired driving.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:40 PM   #628
I'm invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
So it also excludes situations like a medical emergency. But what about when you go out drinking with your buddies and you get your sober friend to drive you home. Do you have to list every possible designated driver you could use?

Seems to me this policy is encouraging more impaired driving.
How I interpret is if your drinking buddy drives you home and he’s not a member of the household and he hasn’t driven up to 12 times within the last 12 months And you have the Unlisted Driver Protection on your policy (free, if there are no unlisted driver claims), then he can drive your car.

If you go drinking every weekend (assuming more than 12 days) and it’s the same buddy driving your car, then you need to list him on there.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:19 PM   #629
I don't get it

• Your buddy/random guy is protected under the Unlisted Driver Protection if they drive up to 12×/year.

• Your household family member is not protected under the Unlisted Driver Protection if they drive up to 12×/year.

Is this because ICBC has zero ability to enforce the 12× per year count and people would just abuse it? e.g. teenage son driving with mom's insurance.
ssjGoku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:55 AM   #630
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
got a quote for hagerty usa ~1,100 USD/yr total for three vehicles maxed liability/medical/personal injury/underinsured....that amount might barely cover one beater on basic through icbc
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2020, 12:40 PM   #631

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
got a quote for hagerty usa ~1,100 USD/yr total for three vehicles maxed liability/medical/personal injury/underinsured....that amount might barely cover one beater on basic through icbc
What's maxed liability via Hagerty?

Maxed 3rd Party Property Damage liability via GEICO in WA is 100k

Past:
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '19 Toyota Camry LE
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6
Old 02-13-2020, 01:05 PM   #632
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
500k bi/500k pd
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2020, 01:49 PM   #633

Quote:
500k bi/500k pd
Just a little confused here... is Hagerty USA insuring your vehicles in BC?

Past:
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '19 Toyota Camry LE
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6
Old 02-14-2020, 12:07 AM   #634
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
Question in case anyone knows. If you want to park a car for a while, can you transfer your insurance to storage insurance and keep the plate? Or do you have to hand them in
Old 02-14-2020, 12:42 AM   #635
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,182 Times in 478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Question in case anyone knows. If you want to park a car for a while, can you transfer your insurance to storage insurance and keep the plate? Or do you have to hand them in
Plate is surrendered unless you let the insurance expire, then buy storage insurance.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2020, 05:30 AM   #636
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,263 Times in 300 Posts
You only have to hand in the one with the stickers, you can keep the other if you want, but they cannot be used again
Old 02-14-2020, 05:54 AM   #637
I'm invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77civic1200 View Post
You only have to hand in the one with the stickers, you can keep the other if you want, but they cannot be used again
I think it only works when you have a special plate. Some special plates let you keep one as souvenir. Normally there is an $18 charge when you don’t surrender all the plates
Old 02-14-2020, 07:58 AM   #638
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,393 Times in 5,088 Posts
^
There's no charge, but you have to fill out a lost/stolen plate declaration form.

The $18 charge is for new plates.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:43 AM   #639
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,733 Times in 954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison_Chen View Post
I think it only works when you have a special plate. Some special plates let you keep one as souvenir. Normally there is an $18 charge when you don’t surrender all the plates
"I lost one"
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:29 PM   #640
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,707 Times in 1,051 Posts
can't keep em when you switch to storage which is insane. You can get them for 6 months, then let them expire, then buy storage then reinsure with them.

so dumb - i gave up my park plates this fall. I was juggling them around, trying to keep them active by moving them to winter beaters, or the wife mobile. Bottom line is it was costing hundreds of extra dollars a year to keep them. agent couldn't understand why I was turning them in after I bought them, but I've had enough.

as usual, ICBC completely ignoring the car enthusiast/collector segment of the market. the new system would absolutely allow for a mechanism to keep the plates but they won't do it.
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:39 PM   #641
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
Yeah that’s a real shame. My wife and I have parks plates that are super easy to remember (pw550e and PK055E). Was thinking about getting a daily and go harder on the RS but If have to juggle the parks plate. No way I’m giving that up
Old 02-14-2020, 01:50 PM   #642
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,707 Times in 1,051 Posts
i mean - you can move em. i did that the past 2 years. move the plate to a new beater, then put storage on the RS. in the spring, sell the beater and move em back. there's a fee of course. my first park plate has been on 4 different cars, and was back on it's original when I gave it up. it was just too much work though.

broken record mode: charge me a reasonable amount to insure multiple cars (umbrella), and I'll just leave them that way year around. I'd never have to putz with a plate, or swap to storage, or buy a day ticket to get work done in the off season.

I've looked at fleet, but drivers discount doesn't apply the same way, and you can never dip below the fleet minimum (5) without abandoning the policy.
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2020, 08:04 PM   #643
I don't get it

It seems like they could easily offer a sub 5,000km plan for a cheap price, especially if you have a second full time car. I know they give you 10% off, but who gives a shit about 10% when you're thinking about a 2nd fun car you drive sometimes on a sunny day.

It's stupid that we have to pay again and again for the same coverage. I can only drive one at a time!

Also, Producer one day you'll happen upon a 996 plate, and then you'll really be in trouble when it comes time to cancel.
Dbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:27 PM   #644
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
+1 who's underwriting sussex that's only running 1/2 of what icbc is charging?
Stratford Underwriting Agency Inc.

Pretty good reviews, though only a few.Similar to mine. Saved about 50% off icbc optional insurance.
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:34 PM   #645
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

tangentially related to the thread, I didn't thin this was different enough to warrant it's own thread.

Goddamn NDP keeps doing things that make sense. I may actually vote for them in the future if they carry on this way. My died-in the-wool capitalist family will disown me.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...fits-1.5482579
snowfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:11 PM   #646
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,290 Times in 2,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowfarmer View Post
tangentially related to the thread, I didn't thin this was different enough to warrant it's own thread.

Goddamn NDP keeps doing things that make sense. I may actually vote for them in the future if they carry on this way. My died-in the-wool capitalist family will disown me.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...fits-1.5482579
I agree this seems like the right direction to move towards. At the same time, it also doesn't make sense that a future government wouldn't be able to change the legislation and dip their hands back into the ICBC's pockets one way or another.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 12:06 AM   #647
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I agree this seems like the right direction to move towards. At the same time, it also doesn't make sense that a future government wouldn't be able to change the legislation and dip their hands back into the ICBC's pockets one way or another.
don't need legislation for that. just add a fee to basic ala msp
ncrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:12 PM   #648
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Apologies for possibly being obtuse but I’m not sure what you mean by add a fee to basic a la MSP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrx View Post
don't need legislation for that. just add a fee to basic ala msp
snowfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:28 PM   #649
I don't get it

Just went and renewed for the first time since the changes in the fall. i have 10+ years of safe driving and no accidents, class 5 license, drive a 2005 acura tsx with 2 mill liability / collision / comprehensive / roadside and 300 deductible. My rate went up from $131 per month to $138, so a very minimal increase. That is going through icbc for my optional. I shopped around through a couple different private insurers for my optional and icbc was actually cheapest by about $300 per year.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:12 PM   #650
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,290 Times in 2,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowfarmer View Post
Apologies for possibly being obtuse but I’m not sure what you mean by add a fee to basic a la MSP?
I think NCRX means the provincial gov can just make up or add to some sort of fee, or impose the money siphoning from another source if they need money again. (Waiving MSP payments only meant the burden of funding went from residents to employers.) He is not wrong in that regard, as that has always been an option available to the provincial gov with or without raiding the ICBC coffers.

The difference, I would say, is raiding the ICBC coffers may not be as noticeable, or more easily forgotten, than say, implementing a new fee. It might only be a small difference in terms of optics, and I have no doubt that at the end of the day, if any level of gov needs more money to cover their expensive spending habits, they will just come rape us or our wallets. But I don't want to look at the issue with such a grime and pessimistic (but probably more realistic) view.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote