REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-25-2018, 11:29 AM   #776
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I went through it recently for modified collector plates, it's a full provincial inspection including a road test. They're extremely picky... and to be honest, it's hard to find a shop that will do it, they all want to know the reason and if you say it's because it's modified they'll basically tell you to fuck off... that was my experience anyway. None of the shops want to take a risk in any grey areas because licensing is so monitored now.

I eventually found a place, but even when it came to the day of the inspection when I went there they really didn't want to do it.

ICBC also wants to see receipts for the work performed on the car and/or a list of the modifications... after obtaining that inspection pass, I continued with a collectors plate application as normal submitting photos and everything to ICBC along with the inspection pass and some receipts from engine mods I had done like 15 years ago.

I do not believe it has any effect on your insurance rates (mine will because of the collector part)...

Somehow I have a feeling even if you did all this, potentially at great personal cost, the officer will not know what you're talking about because it's so obscure and think you're talking back to him/being a cheeky monkey and send you for an inspection (or worse) anyway.

Thanks for sharing, when you say provincial inspection, is that different from VI inspection? ICBC says to just get a passed inspection report so it seems the same. So you did succesfully get a modified title?

The reciepts thing is fine, you dont have to have reciepts for everything. there is a box for mods youve done, and mods it had when you purchased the vehicle.
Advertisement
coupelove is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2018, 12:38 PM   #777
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,354 Times in 5,070 Posts
Yes I did, and yah you don’t have to have receipts they just want details that’s why I put the and/or part in...

I got the CVSE13 provincial inspection that was required and I believe this is the same thing you need to pass a VI. I haven’t had a VI (yet) so I could be wrong about that.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2018, 01:08 PM   #778
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,900 Times in 3,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
As covered in this thread, the scenario could even be:
1. Cop VI's stock car
2. Bring said stock car in for inspection, pass with no changes (BECAUSE STOCK)
3. Cop VI's you as you leave inspection facility in your stock car
Has anyone here actually received a second VI?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2018, 01:19 PM   #779
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
i was thinking.. since they specify taking it to the dealer, and the majority of the dealers are not provincial inspection centres, could you not just have (provided you are stock) the dealership check the vehicle over and confirm that it meets stock specs. have them write up a diagnostic sheet saying as much, and take it to the officer and have them cancel the N&O? if they question why you did it that way, "you told me to go to the dealer, so i did. they can't do PI, so this is the best i can get"

wonder how that would go over..

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2018, 01:24 PM   #780
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,515 Posts
Ricecookerboi got a 2nd VI iirc. But he kinda deserves it, pay to play.
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2018, 01:27 PM   #781

I dont actually think they can legally tell you where to take your car for mechanical/safety inspection. the law says use a DIF. the law says they can order your to send your car to a place to be inspected by a peace officer for scrutiny at any time. it doesnt mean they can order you to send it to a specific place for the VI inspection, as cops arent the experts to say your car is safe, they just get to question its safety. I assume vpd are mixing this up and use it as intimidation. If they could tell you where to have it inspected, they could just send it to there friends shop and write 10 tickets a day.

do the police even have the power to pull back an n/o? arent you just supposed to submit the inspection to icbc? a judge would be the one to talk too after you get an order, even if your cars stock you will still have to do it.... sucks but its the way it is.

Last edited by coupelove; 10-25-2018 at 01:41 PM. Reason: clearing things up
Old 10-25-2018, 01:33 PM   #782
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,413 Times in 915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Ricecookerboi got a 2nd VI iirc. But he kinda deserves it, pay to play.
VI his mask

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2018, 01:37 PM   #783

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupelove View Post
even if your cars stock you will still have to do it.... sucks but its the way it is.
so you paid to get on the bus but the cop gives you a ticket for not paying

sucks but its the way it is

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:05 PM   #784

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
so you paid to get on the bus but the cop gives you a ticket for not paying

sucks but its the way it is
I actually had this exact thing happen to me on the train. Had a monthly pass, but it took me a good 5 mins digging in my wallet to find it which pissed the cop off. I finally found it and he wrote me up anyways because I didnt scratch what zone.

Cops have the right to write any ticket, but that doesnt mean it will hold up in court. I lost in "court" because my thing wasnt valid due to not scratching a zone. Tried to explain my address and the stop was only 1 stop away, morning rush hour, obviously I only ride it one zone, but the cop was a dick anyways.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:20 PM   #785

Quote:
I actually had this exact thing happen to me on the train. Had a monthly pass, but it took me a good 5 mins digging in my wallet to find it which pissed the cop off. I finally found it and he wrote me up anyways because I didnt scratch what zone.

Cops have the right to write any ticket, but that doesnt mean it will hold up in court. I lost in "court" because my thing wasnt valid due to not scratching a zone. Tried to explain my address and the stop was only 1 stop away, morning rush hour, obviously I only ride it one zone, but the cop was a dick anyways.
You didn't scratch so thats your fault and the ticket is valid. So what would you do if you scratched your zone and the cop still gave you a ticket.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."

dapperfied yraisis

FastAnna i really cant
Old 10-25-2018, 02:23 PM   #786
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I would've expected the officer to just give a warning, but it took you 5 minutes to produce an invalid fare...fully within his right to ticket you and the court agreed with that

not sure what morning rush hour as anything to do with it...then again RS logic is that Canada Line is free when our men's Olympic hockey team beats Solvakia

and people wonder why millennials get a bad rep
R1CED` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:46 PM   #787

If my zone was scratched(simply forgot) and I got a ticket anyways I woulda got my ticket thrown out in court. I also would have expected a warning, the morning rush hour means most likely im travelling for work, and its close to my home address, put 2 and 2 together and its obvious I havent travelled more then 1 zone.

Point being, I didnt do my due diligence as a citizen. I never hurt anyone, or stole anything. I actually had a pass that I paid for, but I got a ticket I "deserved" .. in a modified car, you need to make sure its legal and inspected before you drive, so that when you do get your VI you can fight it and have the order pulled. I think a modified title would help in court, while on the street just driving a sportscar will get you hassled. You cant win a fight with cops ever if they want to do something to you, but you can defintiley win in court.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:59 PM   #788
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,283 Times in 2,503 Posts
Quote:
in a modified car, you need to make sure its legal and inspected before you drive, so that when you do get your VI you can fight it and have the order pulled. I think a modified title would help in court, while on the street just driving a sportscar will get you hassled.
A friend has suggested that with a "modified" status on the car, there is a chance that ICBC will not allow it to be insured for work/school purposes, much like how a collector plated vehicle cannot be used for driving to work.

With 68style's car, since his is a "modified collector", the "collector" status already renders it non-insurable for work/school purposes. Would have to find out about this for "modified".
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:07 PM   #789

Worth asking another rep, but the one I spoke to said there is no restriction. He also said there was no legal requirement to apply for a title change if your car is modified(cause mods are legal duh).

Defintiley worth fact checking that though.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2018, 03:15 PM   #790
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,354 Times in 5,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
A friend has suggested that with a "modified" status on the car, there is a chance that ICBC will not allow it to be insured for work/school purposes, much like how a collector plated vehicle cannot be used for driving to work.

With 68style's car, since his is a "modified collector", the "collector" status already renders it non-insurable for work/school purposes. Would have to find out about this for "modified".
This is likely not true, because you actually can get a collector plate on your car and drive it for work or school and have it be your only car............. you just don't get the discounted rate.

From ICBC:

Reduced collector vehicle insurance premiums
Your collector vehicle may qualify for reduced collector insurance premium if you:

Own or lease another non-collector vehicle registered and licensed in your name, or

Have a company-assigned vehicle used for general transportation and insured under one of the applicable rate classes (see For Insurance Purposes in the Application for Collector Vehicle Status).

​If the only vehicle you have is your collector vehicle, it may still qualify for collector plates. However, it won't qualify for reduced collector vehicle insurance premium.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2018, 03:44 PM   #791
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Alright, thoughts, action plans... instead of scapegoating some kid as responsible for an entire "group", can we talk about actual solutions and steps to take regarding the legality of vehicles/mods and ensuring my ability to travel.

I am not interested in any media, lawsuits, or harassment claims. I am only interested in avoiding a tow box 1 order, while still holding onto a shred of my right to property and free travel. We all know the system allows peace officers to issue ANYONE a VI, and that will not change. What can I do? I read a ton on the MVA and so far my plan is

1) make sure my car is legal according to the MVA.

From what I read that is ticketable offence in the MVA, the major things modified cars do that is illegal is
- above 86db sound limit(aftermarket exhaust is LEGAL, don't have 3 inch exhaust and a 4 inch tip though)
- pieces of the car lower then the rim (splitters, slammed cars with scraping bumpers)
- wheel alignment that is visually out of alignment (yup VISIBLE CAMBER is a crime, fucking sucks but it is, keep it gentlemanly with your stance I guess). This sucks because there is no number, its only visual
- windshields, lights, tint, rubbing, obstructions to windows, obvious shit just make sure your car is good. There isn't tickets for a lot of things, but a lot of random little things are actual valid reasons your vehicle is unsafe.

2) get an alignment and get an inspection before cain gets me, keep the paperwork it in the car at all times and present it with your insurance/DL. Don't give them time to use the "I already started writing it" excuse. Show them your car is legal, and alignment is within spec (you have proof your camber is within spec, they lie when they say it looks like camber)

3) change my cars title to "modified" with ICBC. By modified I do not mean "collector" "modified collector" or "vintage" as these are all different distinctions. See: https://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registr...-vehicles.aspx I have yet to read anything about someone who has done this, someone here must have though. Basically you give a passed inspection, easy paperwork and some photos to ICBC and they review your car on a case by case basis. If you have any modifications that improve the performance of your vehicle beyond factory specs in any way, you most likely will qualify.

4) Drive like a mench, have a dashcam for evidence when you get tickets for having done all your due diligence in regards to the legality of your modified vehicle. Breathe easy knowing your car is actually as legal as it can get.

5) Dispute the notice and order when it comes (it will come either way). This is where i'm a little murky on the process, I know that it is possible to have the notice pulled back, or a 15 day extension to the inspection in special circumstances. I just don't know exactly how to do it, and would love to hear from someone who has. I assume its as simple as pleading your rational case to a judge that your car is legal, with all your paperwork and insurance and they will pull the order. Judges know the rules, cops don't, this is why I am doing this process because in court is where the law matters. File a formal complaint each time.

If it happens enough, its likely our rights are being violated. We have a charter right to property and to do with it what I wish(within the law), and I have rights that protect my privilege to drive. If an officer says I must "go to dealership" for the inspection, that is for sure a rights violation. You have a right to follow the law, the law is to use a DIF, any DIF, just needs to be a DIF. cops don't get to tell you what to do with your property... after all your just trying to follow the laws.

facts: modified cars are legal, modifying your car is your right, aftermarket exhaust can be legal, lowered cars certainly aren't illegal, cops are dicks to people with cool cars.

This shit stresses me out, after I take car of my own car I will gladly engage in some group thought to change the system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
Thanks for posting your video cho. Like the other front plate video that was posted, it's always good to hear how the officer is speaking and what triggers him/her. You could hear the cop almost get his hackles up when you starting to ask a question but then kind of backed down when he realized you weren't being confrontational and only wanted further information on how to be more compliant. With today's climate it's almost like they are on the offensive right away and your demeanor, being super nice and "hat in hand", will talk them off the ledge. Even an inkling of confrontation and it seems like they will flip a switch and be complete cunts. Either way, you're getting a VI regardless and that's just shitty.

In terms of that officers reasoning, being too low is obvious from the above pic but factory performance exhaust and camber? What a moron. Camber looks near stock and there is plenty of contact patch so for him to focus on that more than actually being too low makes him look retarded. They are reaching to the moon on these infractions and there's nothing that you can do at the time other than just take it up the tailpipe, so to speak.
Been a long time since I had to deal with police constantly hounding me, as my cars have gotten more and more "legal", yet you do not need to just take it up the butt.

You need to inform yourself with the MVA rules and what is in, and out of compliance. "Coupelove" has tried to inform you abit on what to watch out for, but there are numerous other things.

Bullet points:
-DB limit
-Height of vehicle (bottom of rim must be lowest part of car, yet there are also headlight height restrictions that say from the center of the headlight, it must fall between X and Y. Furthermore you will get hassled for "finger gap" yet there is no MVA law that dictates a specific gap is required, as long as you can make full lock both ways without rubbing the fender lip)
-Unsafe wheel alignment (they never hit me over camber specifically so I cannot speak on this behalf, yet my vehicle was always "in alignment" and I had a copy of said alignment in the vehicle to show any cop who questioned it)
-Tire tread (tire tread, must be fully enclosed underneath the fender to reduce debris damage to other vehicles. Yet this does not mean you cannot stretch the tire and leave the stretch past the fender, this is not an MVA violation)
-Tint (ofcourse)

One thing to also remember, is all the parts on your vehicle must be "approved" parts. If the part you buy says "offroad use only" then it is illegal to be used on the roads, technically.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2018, 04:01 PM   #792
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,128 Times in 7,143 Posts
Hi guys. I’m trying to keep quiet in here since my temper is getting the best of me on this matter and it’s going to get me in trouble, but here is some important info.
I have the CVSE manual in my hands and can tell you there are certain aspects of it that conflict with the MVA rules.
Ride height: cars under 4500kg must have 25mm fender clearance from wheel/tire.
This is not in the MVA. Also, there are many cars that have rear tires on factory suspension that won’t adhere to that rule. Because of rear suspension design/travel the tire travels along a set path into the fender well and wouldn’t deflect from that path. The inspector is able to pass a vehicle they deem safe with less than that clearance, so how is an officer allowed to enforce it as law?
This is the one that will effect most people in this thread so I thought it was worth mentioning.
The main thing is that wheels must not contact the body from lock to lock. No fender liner rubbing included.
My question is, is the CVSE law? Or is it a guideline for inspections. If it is law, why isn’t the information easily available to the public? If it isn’t law, why are the police allowed to enforce it? If anyone has specific questions about if their mods would pass, PM me and I’ll look it up for you.
As I said, this information shouldn’t be hidden from the public that are trying to do their part to make their hobby safe and adhere to the rules. My car complied with everything in the MVA, but becomes admittedly more out of line (still only based on ride height) according to the CVSE.
We don’t deserve to be targeted for a hobby, especially when we do our part to play by the rules.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:40 PM   #793
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
the morning rush hour means most likely im travelling for work, and its close to my home address, put 2 and 2 together and its obvious I havent travelled more then 1 zone.
how does the officer know where you work or if you're going straight home?
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2018, 06:42 PM   #794
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Just curious where people are getting the impression that most dealers don't have anyone licensed to perform cvi's.
We have two techs at our dealership capable of inspecting. And I'd actually be surprised to hear that a dealer would shut themselves out of the potential for work by not having at least one person with a license.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2018, 06:55 PM   #795
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
It's a good thing Vancouver isn't delaing with an opioid crisis, has tons of property theft, nor has issues with gang violence.

Great job, great use of resources.

Edit: I feel a lot safer driving around in my rusty Dodge Caravan with no brakes now that I know that the VPD is keeping dangerous, illegal hooligans like cho compliant with safety regulations!

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:29 PM   #796

everyone print the mva and tell the cop to tell us whats wrong with the vehicle on the spot

Quote:

dapperfied yraisis

FastAnna i really cant

Last edited by yray; 10-25-2018 at 07:39 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2018, 08:23 PM   #797
Need my Daily Fix of RS

pretty sure even going back to 2005, quite a few RS members have laminated copies of the MVA in their vehicles

really not gonna do shit though, as heard in cho's video "if it's not a problem, i'm sure the inspection will come back clean"
Old 10-25-2018, 08:32 PM   #798

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1CED` View Post
pretty sure even going back to 2005, quite a few RS members have laminated copies of the MVA in their vehicles

really not gonna do shit though, as heard in cho's video "if it's not a problem, i'm sure the inspection will come back clean"
"Sure officer, what's your supervisor's email so that I can send the copy of the inspection report and request a refund of the $300?"

This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2018, 08:33 PM   #799
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
It's a good thing Vancouver isn't delaing with an opioid crisis, has tons of property theft, nor has issues with gang violence.

Great job, great use of resources.
can you define clearly what you expect traffic enforcement to do to help with opioids, theft and gangs?
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-25-2018, 08:39 PM   #800

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1CED` View Post
can you define clearly what you expect traffic enforcement to do to help with opioids, theft and gangs?
Clearly they're not busy and could be used elsewhere where they are needed.