REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-21-2020, 07:48 PM   #1326
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Well what convenient timing..

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ind...ades-1.5470670

Quote:
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's government is asking Parliament to spend an additional $2.1 billion on Indigenous programs and initiatives, above and beyond what MPs already have approved.

While $2 billion of the proposed spending for Indigenous services would be new money, supplementary estimates tabled in Parliament show that more than $53 million in net transfers from various departments would go to a wide range of Indigenous programs and projects.

Among other things, the government is proposing an additional $52.9 million for the RCMP for First Nations Community Policing Services and $1.2 million for Library and Archives Canada to help it preserve Indigenous culture and language recordings.

Overall, roughly 53 per cent of $3.8 billion in new money the government is asking MPs to approve would go to initiatives involving Indigenous communities.

The tabling of the supplementary estimates comes as tensions are running high over Indigenous-led rail blockades that have crippled Canada's freight network.
Advertisement
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:08 PM   #1327
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,003 Times in 1,908 Posts
The alternative pipeline route, approved by the Wet’suwet’en Hereditary Chiefs (rejected by Coastal Gaslink) would cost an additional $800 million ... so $2.1bn vs. $800m

whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:35 PM   #1328

Would parliament approve of spending more money on yet another pipeline?
-Norm Franz
Old 02-21-2020, 08:38 PM   #1329
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
Well the thing is, I would rather spend 2.1 billion on social programs than give a gas company 800 million to build their pipeline. One is an investment in fixing a system that has been largely broken for a group of people, while the other Would basically be a corporate gift.
If that’s the angle you mean by your comment. I’m not entirely sure.
That said, I’m not on the side of the protesters or the hereditary chiefs on this one. I believe there should be a lot more attention paid to all of the members of the wet’sueten and their thoughts on the pipeline good and bad, and they should be able to democratically make a decision on it.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:54 PM   #1330
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
this is beyond getting out of hand.
wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:29 PM   #1331

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Old 02-21-2020, 10:57 PM   #1332

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Well the thing is, I would rather spend 2.1 billion on social programs than give a gas company 800 million to build their pipeline. One is an investment in fixing a system that has been largely broken for a group of people, while the other Would basically be a corporate gift.
Once Trudeau tables UNDRIP, you'll see the can of worms 'diversity' opens up. You think this has been a mess? You ain't seen nothing yet.
If nations want sovereignty, i can respect that. Up until the point they're receiving huge portions of Canadian taxpayers money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
If that’s the angle you mean by your comment. I’m not entirely sure.
That said, I’m not on the side of the protesters or the hereditary chiefs on this one. I believe there should be a lot more attention paid to all of the members of the wet’sueten and their thoughts on the pipeline good and bad, and they should be able to democratically make a decision on it.
It is the angle, yes. Optics are important. Especially when it comes to spending your way out of a problem you created.
I agree with everything else you said here
-Norm Franz
Old 02-23-2020, 07:36 PM   #1333

Yet another massive project leaves Canada

https://calgarysun.com/news/politics...a-34bce84f9e3b
Quote:
Teck Resources has officially withdrawn its application to build the $20-billion Frontier oilsands mine, just days before Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was expected to issue a ruling on the contentious project.

In a letter to Trudeau published late Sunday, Teck chief executive Don Lindsay said the company made the decision as protests against a separate pipeline project stretch into their second week, blocking rail lines across the country and occupying public spaces. Lindsay said the Frontier project put his company “squarely at the nexus” of much deeper-lying tensions in Canada between natural resource extraction and First Nation land claims.
-Norm Franz
Old 02-23-2020, 07:45 PM   #1334
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Anyone have a tally on the value of projects that have been cancelled in the last 5 years?
Old 02-23-2020, 08:08 PM   #1335

That figure might be difficult to assess, as you'd probably want to include companies who've avoided investing in Canada altogether.
-Norm Franz
Old 02-23-2020, 08:13 PM   #1336
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,338 Times in 5,648 Posts
RIP Alberta
Old 02-23-2020, 09:02 PM   #1337
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Does anyone actually think he was going to approve it? You have cons and con supporters that bitch, moan, and cry about him 24/7 and still would have after he approved it. On top of that, he would have lost a bunch of votes

If he had picked up a few seats in Alberta and had a provincial government willing to work with him after buying them a pipeline he probably would have approved it.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:59 PM   #1338

It's not just cons who will be bitching and moaning.
Thousands of natives who would have received well paying jobs and skills development, in regions with almost no opportunity for employment, will be too.
Under Alberta's bill 14 there would have been a great opportunity for advancement there.
https://gowlingwlg.com/en/insights-r...ties-corp-act/
Maybe Trudeau can just send that aid package instead. Who needs the tens of billions in tax revenue when you don't plan on paying down the deficit that you're rapidly growing.
-Norm Franz
Old 02-23-2020, 11:28 PM   #1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
It's not just cons who will be bitching and moaning.
Thousands of natives who would have received well paying jobs and skills development, in regions with almost no opportunity for employment, will be too.
Under Alberta's bill 14 there would have been a great opportunity for advancement there.
https://gowlingwlg.com/en/insights-r...ties-corp-act/
Maybe Trudeau can just send that aid package instead. Who needs the tens of billions in tax revenue when you don't plan on paying down the deficit that you're rapidly growing.
All living in Alberta a province that hates the liberals and JT. Also, because they are native they can't be cons?
Old 02-24-2020, 06:53 AM   #1340
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Best number i could find is 120billion worth of canceled actual projects. That's damn near 10% of Canada's GDP. And not including any other projects that companies have not pursued.

Wonder how many sunshines and rainbows that investment could habe helped support.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:34 AM   #1341
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,338 Times in 5,648 Posts
The people that will get hurt by all this are the native people and the bottom feeding protestors who rely on social programs etc.

I care because all it means it my taxes are going to go up to support these lost opportunities but at the end of the day I’ll be fine, my day to day life isn’t going to change. But I wish the worst upon the people who have caused these situations
Old 02-24-2020, 06:14 PM   #1342

https://www.thegrowthop.com/cannabis...s-legalization

Quote:
Conservative Party Leader contender Peter MacKay does not agree with cannabis legalization
“It was forced. The entire issue was rushed. I believe it wasn’t the highest priority for an incoming government.”
Cons still stuck in the stone age. 10's of thousands of jobs have been created in the cannabis industry. But I guess they don't care because it's not the oil industry.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:28 PM   #1343
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,393 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Cons still stuck in the stone age. 10's of thousands of jobs have been created in the cannabis industry. But I guess they don't care because it's not the oil industry.
Just another day in the mind of the mentally ill. This is yet another completely false statement. StatsCan shows the entire cannabis industry in the country employs approximately 10,000 people. I'd say source your numbers but I know you can't, so you won't.

By comparison the energy industry, in the middle of the downturn in 2017, still employed more than half a million Canadians in high salary occupations: https://context.capp.ca/infographics...ic_533000-jobs

So yeah, Peter MacKay was bang on with his statement that the legalization of cannabis was rushed, it was botched, and it was not a high priority at the time. I'm not against the legalization, but only the completely incompetent Trudeau government could kill the industry and lose money selling drugs. In fact the roll-out was so poor it cost cannabis companies in this country billions of dollars: https://business.financialpost.com/c...-for-investors

Canada is an energy/resource backed economy and will be for the remainder of our lifetimes. Stay 'woke'.
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-24-2020, 10:45 PM   #1344

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDął View Post
Just another day in the mind of the mentally ill. This is yet another completely false statement. StatsCan shows the entire cannabis industry in the country employs approximately 10,000 people. I'd say source your numbers but I know you can't, so you won't.

By comparison the energy industry, in the middle of the downturn in 2017, still employed more than half a million Canadians in high salary occupations: https://context.capp.ca/infographics...ic_533000-jobs

So yeah, Peter MacKay was bang on with his statement that the legalization of cannabis was rushed, it was botched, and it was not a high priority at the time. I'm not against the legalization, but only the completely incompetent Trudeau government could kill the industry and lose money selling drugs. In fact the roll-out was so poor it cost cannabis companies in this country billions of dollars: https://business.financialpost.com/c...-for-investors

Canada is an energy/resource backed economy and will be for the remainder of our lifetimes. Stay 'woke'.
That's 10000 direct jobs. It has also created plenty of indirect jobs. One guy I know programmed the HVAC system for Tilray and another did all the engineering. A family member is on the board of a waste management company that invented a tech that reduces the smell of waste. The tech is now being used by some cannabis growing companies.

harper would have never legalized cannabis neither would have scheer. 15 years after gay marriage has been legalized some cons still think it should be banned scheer included.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:02 PM   #1345
I Wanna Go Fast!

Quote:
That's 10000 direct jobs. It has also created plenty of indirect jobs. One guy I know programmed the HVAC system for Tilray and another did all the engineering. A family member is on the board of a waste management company that invented a tech that reduces the smell of waste. The tech is now being used by some cannabis growing companies.

The medicinal cannabis industry already existed, so recreational industry might have created half of those jobs. Regardless, the industry has lost billions. Your friends sisters cousin and a "family member" who already had skilled occupations got a customer? Neato. I'm gonna pull a Manic and say the indirect economic impacts of the energy industry are 38 thousand million times larger than cannabis in this country.

harper would have never legalized cannabis neither would have scheer. 15 years after gay marriage has been legalized some cons still think it should be banned scheer included.
Nobody cares. Both were able to separate their personal beliefs from their jobs as politicians and understood the will of the people was to have same-sex marriage be legal. Both openly stated they would never re-open the debate or table legislation to have that law reversed. Seek professional help.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-24-2020, 11:27 PM   #1346

Quote:
Nobody cares. Both were able to separate their personal beliefs from their jobs as politicians and understood the will of the people was to have same-sex marriage be legal. Both openly stated they would never re-open the debate or table legislation to have that law reversed. Seek professional help.
Laws legalizing same-sex marriage and cannabis would not exist if the cons were in power. It only took the cons 11 years after same-sex marriage was legalized to end official opposition to gay marriage.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle30197721/
Old 02-25-2020, 08:24 AM   #1347
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,345 Times in 973 Posts
^ i always vote for a fine balance between the views of parties.

Cannabis industry I have reservation even though being in the industry sector, their video survillance retention is 364 days. We had to help companies store 1 PB of data. Mind blown issues / technology growth. How many people from the sectors beneftied.... maybe a mere single digit percentage.

As for Same Sex marriage... I would bash the conservatives for not doing this sooner. I'm Christian but I would still support the same sex marriage regardless of what scripture says. Heck, even the Pope is having a softer response.

It's all about balance. There is no justification in not letting same sex marrirage being legal.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:48 AM   #1348
I Wanna Go Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
As for Same Sex marriage... I would bash the conservatives for not doing this sooner. I'm Christian but I would still support the same sex marriage regardless of what scripture says. Heck, even the Pope is having a softer response.
Don't let his deflecting and changing the subject distract you from the fact that he routinely posts completely garbage opinion as fact. Every time he gets destroyed by facts he proves he can't stand behind a single argument he makes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic!
Laws legalizing same-sex marriage and cannabis would not exist if the cons were in power. It only took the cons 11 years after same-sex marriage was legalized to end official opposition to gay marriage.
Complete hypothetical - that's making a point on something that never happened. The Conservative party was in power from 06-15 with a majority government from 08-15, if they wanted to change/rescind the same sex marriage laws they would have. Who cares what some policy handbook says, their actions proved their stance a decade earlier. Same-sex marriage was made legal in 2005, how dare all those previous Liberal governments in the prior 138 years of Confederation not make it legal sooner. What a bunch of bigots This is a completely dead argument and has been for 15 years.

Back on topic, the cannabis industry in Canada is a total failure and isn't even a relevant contributor to employment or the economy.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2020, 03:01 PM   #1349

Quote:
Don't let his deflecting and changing the subject distract you from the fact that he routinely posts completely garbage opinion as fact. Every time he gets destroyed by facts he proves he can't stand behind a single argument he makes.

Complete hypothetical - that's making a point on something that never happened. The Conservative party was in power from 06-15 with a majority government from 08-15, if they wanted to change/rescind the same sex marriage laws they would have. Who cares what some policy handbook says, their actions proved their stance a decade earlier. Same-sex marriage was made legal in 2005, how dare all those previous Liberal governments in the prior 138 years of Confederation not make it legal sooner. What a bunch of bigots This is a completely dead argument and has been for 15 years.

Back on topic, the cannabis industry in Canada is a total failure and isn't even a relevant contributor to employment or the economy.
Who cares what the official handbooks says? That was the parties official stance. Harper did not challenge it because he would have lost.

This is pure comedy gold. Have you signed it?
https://www.conservative.ca/cpc/just...a-legislation/

Also, Tilray is one of the biggest employers in Nanaimo.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:14 PM   #1350
I Wanna Go Fast!

Quote:
Also, Tilray is one of the biggest employers in Nanaimo.
Tilray lists 750 employees for its entire operation worldwide. The population of Nanaimo is 90,000+. Have any more piles of complete bullshit for us today?
This post thanked by: