REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-21-2024, 03:52 PM   #6226
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,609 Times in 5,173 Posts
Yah I have zero sympathy for people who thought "I'm gonna sell now and rent and wait for other people to go bankrupt so I can buy back into the market even cheaper"

So much for caring about your neighbours... boy did that ever backfire
Advertisement
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2024, 03:56 PM   #6227
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,403 Times in 5,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Sounds like they gambled and lost? Sounds like they only have themselves to blame for that one?
Absolutely, and I chuckle every time I think about it

But there are also some people who sold in anticipation of renting/downsizing and given age/scenario it was the right move for them

Now their budget for simply having a roof over their heads has likely more than doubled by no fault of their own, and as a result quality of life, like a lot of people, suffers greatly
Old 03-21-2024, 03:59 PM   #6228
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,764 Times in 705 Posts
I don't think that many people actually sold their house thinking they could buy back cheaper. That seems pretty invasive.

Though, I guess people in every asset class think they can time the market, when we know that isn't possible.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 04:11 PM   #6229
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,855 Times in 1,785 Posts
If they went from ownership to renting, I imagine they would have been doing so for some of the specific benefits to renting: IE: Not locked down, no maintenance fees etc.

But surely they would have understood the risks of going that route as well? There was no guarantee that rental fees would ever stay so low.

We've had unprecedented levels of rent escalation yes, but not completely inconceivable either.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2024, 05:11 PM   #6230
Performance Moderator

No, he talked about this family before and if I recall correctly they’re just massively stupid lol
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2024, 05:24 PM   #6231

Sold a family home 6 people lived in for under asking at 630k in 2012 which is now worth 1.7+ anticipating a market crash and buying multiple homes afterwards.

Literally the poster child for trying to time the market/gambling with your primary residence

I probably get more joy than I should out of it
Old 03-21-2024, 07:43 PM   #6232
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I've heard of too many stories of creepy old white dudes getting seduced by a local thai girl and get fleeced, the best one is when they convince them to buy a house then promptly get kicked out and they have no recourse cause farangs cant own land in thailand.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 08:12 PM   #6233
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 8,815 Times in 3,176 Posts
farang!? youre a farang! whats a farang!?
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 08:06 AM   #6234
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
But we are the whites so it's cute when we do it.
*cue racist rant against rich mainlanders
The hypocrisy over the last couple of pages is unbelievable.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 08:29 AM   #6235

To no one’s surprise, Canada ranks last among wealthy nations when it comes to primary care and access to doctors, yes, even behind the states.

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/lifestyl...port-1.6817488
Old 03-22-2024, 08:34 AM   #6236
Performance Moderator

It's a serious problem with no short-term solution, I'm one of those people who no longer has a primary care doctor... I've been on a waiting list through the government for well over a year now with no contact regarding one.

I don't believe any particular political party can fix this either, we can't compete with the USA for salary or taxation or currency and our public system isn't attractive to work in. What doctor is going to want to live here instead of down there?

I've been told by friends already living in Alberta that it's not great there either, marginally better than whatever the hell happened to BC since the pandemic, but not by much.
Old 03-22-2024, 08:45 AM   #6237
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,584 Times in 4,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
To no one’s surprise, Canada ranks last among wealthy nations when it comes to primary care and access to doctors, yes, even behind the states.

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/lifestyl...port-1.6817488
Some of the best medical care I have ever had has been in the US. Yes if you are not covered you could go broke but when you are covered it doesn't come close to what we have in Canada.
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 08:46 AM   #6238

14 billion Ukrainian dollars would have solved this problem and more even in the most remote communities.

Not to say the money wouldn’t have gone to Ukraine regardless, but it just proves that there’s no appetite for govt. to solve issues when you can cut a blank cheque for a war, but Prince George and the like has to close their ER due to lack of staff.

Money solves all issues and the govt. has no appetite to fix these issues.
Old 03-22-2024, 08:50 AM   #6239
Performance Moderator

I disagree that money fixes this issue. I would not be surprised if someone has the time to deep dive into enrolment statistics that the number of people even applying to become doctors or nurses is on a severe decline, I very must suspect that is the case.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2024, 08:56 AM   #6240

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
It's a serious problem with no short-term solution, I'm one of those people who no longer has a primary care doctor... I've been on a waiting list through the government for well over a year now with no contact regarding one.

I don't believe any particular political party can fix this either, we can't compete with the USA for salary or taxation or currency and our public system isn't attractive to work in. What doctor is going to want to live here instead of down there?

I've been told by friends already living in Alberta that it's not great there either, marginally better than whatever the hell happened to BC since the pandemic, but not by much.
So anecdotally, there are so many holes in the system anyone with older parents who doesn’t have big $$$ should be terrified imo.

My wife’s grandma is 98 years old, she’s feeble AF and it’s basically been a miracle she’s survived to this point, lives with my wife’s uncle who is also like a shut in etc. however, he’s the only reason why she hasn’t died yet

In the last 2-3 years she’s been in and out of the hospital 7-8 times. TWICE she was in palliative care and she managed to get out and come home lol.. TBH everyone is just hoping she will die for her own good and everyone else’s.

However, there’s literally nothing to be done with her.. she falls or gets an infection, goes to the hospital, then it’s on my wife to try and deal with social
Workers etc. who essentially say, there’s nowhere for her to go.

In the last 4-5 times she’s been in the hospital my wife has told 3-4 different social workers look, she’s 98.. she can’t do anything on her own, the home support isn’t there, she CANT GO HOME

Then doctors or social workers come in, speak with her privately, she says yes I’m fine I’m fine, she can’t even get out of the hospital bed unassisted, they basically push her out of the hospital, she can’t even get back up the stairs into her home without multiple people carrying her, she might be ok for a few weeks or a few months, back to the hospital, rinse and repeat.

There is nowhere for a person like her to go, even paid care homes at $5000 a month won’t take someone like her. So you’re stuck in this limbo till you die, or you’re so incapacitated that you eventually get a bed in one of the disgusting govt. care facilities just waiting to die.

We’ve exhausted every single option for her, my wife has spent hundreds of hours trying to make arrangements or find solutions, and there simply are none.

With an aging population of boomers who are all heading down this trajectory, good luck. Especially if you don’t have money or family that can spend SUBSTANTIAL time caring for you.
Old 03-22-2024, 08:57 AM   #6241

Quote:
I disagree that money fixes this issue. I would not be surprised if someone has the time to deep dive into enrolment statistics that the number of people even applying to become doctors or nurses is on a severe decline, I very must suspect that is the case.
You accept foreign credentials and create financial incentives to work in remote communities.

As I’ve said before, have two very good friends in Australia, one an X-ray tech, one works in hospitals doing rehab with degrees in Kinesiology and nursing

Both of them worked in the UK on what amounts to a hand shake. For either of them to work in Canada, they need to do 2 years of additional training and take a 35% pay cut. Good luck attracting anyone.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:07 AM   #6242
Performance Moderator

Would you honestly not be right back here complaining about Doctor Buddy Guy who got his degree from Mumbai Upstairs Medical Clinic prescribing you the wrong medicine in the future / why do we allow these people to come here and practice though?
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2024, 09:09 AM   #6243

There are overlapping checks in stuff like that. Give more power to pharmacists to review prescribed medications, have a general database running anyone can access, etc. etc.

It isn’t my job to solve this shit, but it surely seems like we spit out more ideas here than the govt. has ever tried.

I think if most people could simply access a doctor, they wouldn’t really care where they are from. For the vast majority of minor issues, incompetent care is better than none.
Old 03-22-2024, 10:55 AM   #6244
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,631 Times in 1,745 Posts
Quote:
What's the difference though?

You're saying a Canadian takes a suitcase of money to Thailand and it's good for them because they're spending money.

But someone comes to Canada with a suitcase of money and it's bad? Why? They're also spending money and having a positive economic impact and paying taxes.

The only difference is we have a social welfare system here, so there's potential to scam that? The converse is true in Thailand, foreigners go there with boatloads of money and develop huge hotels that nobody wanted, they ravage coastal cities turning them into party towns for them to drink themselves stupid and watch girls shoot ping pong balls across the room and engage in generally boorish behaviours and even if they take up residence there and pay for private medicare, create as social divide with all the rich foreigners having access to a medical system that nobody local can afford.

You think the people in Thailand love all these foreigners and their money? Have you asked one?
I somewhat disagree with you there, that's a bit of a myopic viewpoint.

Do foreigners affect prices in Thailand? For sure, however at the same time places like Thailand have laws that benefit the locals based on outside money.

For example, the little townhouse my uncle purchased is not even entirely owned by him. In Thailand only Thai nationals are allowed to own land or have a confirmed right of possession of land, so his partner, who is Thai, actually owns his place. When he passes, his partner will inherit his property. Paiwan (his partner) would never dream to own a place without my uncle, he brought him out of poverty, even helped him buy a bar in Pattaya.

In a global economy it's near impossible to block outside money from affecting affordability for the local population, a government can however impose boundaries and barriers to allow the locals to have a chance.

We do nothing of such in Canada. Our governments have done nothing to support the local population against external factors of incoming money from foreign nationals grossly affecting affordability of housing and real estate in this country.

Based on that, what do you expect?
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2024, 11:05 AM   #6245
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,631 Times in 1,745 Posts
Furthermore 68style, didn't you just buy a place in Calgary because Vancouver is so unaffordable? Aren't you thus affecting the cost of housing for local Calgarians?

I think there's levels to this stuff -- A guy making a $2Kish pension moving to a 3rd world country to have a more comfortable life is a hell of a lot different then some guy moving millions of dollars into Canada to buy cheap real estate, hiding funds from their native government, shipping family to said country to utilize free government services and programs, meanwhile underpaying their tax burden by under declaring assets and funds.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2024, 12:15 PM   #6246
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 8,815 Times in 3,176 Posts
more rich mainlanders PREASE. Good for economy, good for everyone?

excuse me while I flee to a 3rd world country, like japan, where my dollar goes far and my soaplands are endless.

KIMOCHI DES KA?!?
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 12:19 PM   #6247

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
I somewhat disagree with you there, that's a bit of a myopic viewpoint.

Do foreigners affect prices in Thailand? For sure, however at the same time places like Thailand have laws that benefit the locals based on outside money.

For example, the little townhouse my uncle purchased is not even entirely owned by him. In Thailand only Thai nationals are allowed to own land or have a confirmed right of possession of land, so his partner, who is Thai, actually owns his place. When he passes, his partner will inherit his property. Paiwan (his partner) would never dream to own a place without my uncle, he brought him out of poverty, even helped him buy a bar in Pattaya.

In a global economy it's near impossible to block outside money from affecting affordability for the local population, a government can however impose boundaries and barriers to allow the locals to have a chance.

We do nothing of such in Canada. Our governments have done nothing to support the local population against external factors of incoming money from foreign nationals grossly affecting affordability of housing and real estate in this country.

Based on that, what do you expect?
Also, in Thailand you are paying for all social services people come to Canada and abuse for free. So you are stimulating the economy etc. as opposed to just adding additional strain on the public systems not designed to handle additional burdens.

As we’ve seen so frequently with uncontrolled immigration and TFW permits.

In Thailand, if you don’t have money, you’re fucked. In Canada, if you don’t have money, you can live a pretty normal life.
Old 03-22-2024, 12:45 PM   #6248
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,825 Times in 3,905 Posts
no clue on current housing costs in thailand but aren't there less homelessness and more safety nets?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 12:50 PM   #6249
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
In Canada, if you don’t have money, you can live a pretty normal life.
So, on one hand you're saying our social programs are all fucked and nobody has access to anything and everything is totally unaffordable even if you make a lot of money here... on the other hand you're saying you can live a pretty normal life with no money here.

This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2024, 12:52 PM   #6250
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Furthermore 68style, didn't you just buy a place in Calgary because Vancouver is so unaffordable? Aren't you thus affecting the cost of housing for local Calgarians?

I think there's levels to this stuff -- A guy making a $2Kish pension moving to a 3rd world country to have a more comfortable life is a hell of a lot different then some guy moving millions of dollars into Canada to buy cheap real estate, hiding funds from their native government, shipping family to said country to utilize free government services and programs, meanwhile underpaying their tax burden by under declaring assets and funds.
I ain't a boomer man, I said boomers generally speaking fucked up if they're in that state -- but koodos to them for making lemonade with their lemons, it's not easy to decide to change your home especially when it's not necessarily by choice (at least initially so)... everyone else I can totally understand, no other generation had a windfall opportunity like that one did. I'm Canadian too, I'm selling my place here putting it on the market so someone else can have it not hoarding it to rent it out and whatever miniscule effect that has on the market, it adds to the availability pool and doesn't drive up prices here... the lady I'm buying my place from lives alone in a 3000 sq ft house and doesn't want to do it anymore, downsizing to a condo, so I'm not forcing anyone out of a home. Your beef lies with the investors and speculators that almost prevented ME from buying anything there. All the finance guys telling their wealthy clients to go to Calgary for more opportunities and less issues with renters.

Also the number of people who come here that are that wealthy are far outnumbered by the number of people making minimal/menial/middle incomes that can suddenly go abroad and can mess things up in a third world country. It's called 1%'ers for a reason.
This post thanked by: