REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-03-2020, 01:12 PM   #376
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
if there's an outbreak in the US would Canada close its border?

doubt it, same deal
Advertisement
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-03-2020, 01:34 PM   #377
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,308 Times in 2,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
if there's an outbreak in the US would Canada close its border?

doubt it, same deal
If this hypothetical outbreak in the US is as big as the coronavirus outbreak is in China, you'd be out of your mind to think that Canadians wouldn't be screaming to have our borders closed. The federal government would probably be reluctant at first to close the borders, but as the epidemic escalates and public cry for border closure escalates, it'd be silly to think the Canadian gov wouldn't cave into the demands of Canadians. If they didn't, the governing party would be punished for years to come at the polls.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2020, 02:08 PM   #378

lmao like how Liberals got punished for SNC scandal?

they might restrict, doubt any govt in Ottawa would have the balls to completely close off crossings (esp. Windsor/Detroit) and cancel all US-bound flights (just think of how many connections are made in the US) for a month or three

our economy would go in a freefall if we cut own our jugular and cease all trade with the US even for weeks
Old 02-03-2020, 03:31 PM   #379
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
The latest border closing measures are practically useless as far as getting on top of the coronavirus spreading situation is concerned. All it will do is reduce the volume of Hong Kong - China traveller volume by a bit, but all remaining travellers will simply be consolidated to those 3 remaining ports of entry.

Furthemore, the airport and Shenzhen Bay entry points are the highest volume ports of entry for Mainland Chinese visitors anyway, so little is changed.

The way Carrie Lam is handling this is exactly like how she absolutely fxxked up the China extradition law fiasco. At first it was steadfast refusal, then she gave in a little, calling it postponement instead of outright withdrawl, then she gave in a little more, saying the bill is dead, and then she uttered some more nonsense while still refusing to formally withdraw it. Just like the CCP hasn't learned shxt from 2003 SARS, Carrie hasn't fxxking learned shxt from the extradition bill either.
The thing that the "100% closed borders" people aren't taking into account is that HK kind of needs a somewhat open border in order to keep logistics flowing. We rely on China for food and quite a few essential goods. Shutting down the border completely means none of this will be able to make it through anymore.

Sure middle class people and above can go to the supermarket and buy food from other countries, but poorer people rely on low cost meat from China, and especially vegetables.

I guess we could look to other countries for produce, like Thailand, but will the cost be as low? Do countries like Vietnam even export many goods?

I am 100% in favour of strict border controls, but I'm against the idea of a 100% closure to China. I think leaving SZ Bay bridge and Macau bridge can allow things to flow through, while at the same time severely limit the amount of potentially infected people from coming in. Be extra strict with temperature checks and scrutinize their travel. There are plenty of people who NEED to come in, to Hong Kong's benefit, and are at relatively low risk of having the virus.

This current closure should bring daily mainlanders crossing via land down to 2000, from like 20-30K before. That's not zero, but it's pretty damn significant and maybe manageable.

If the government wasn't literally evil, then maybe people would be willing to work with them. But it seems to be that only the most extreme solution will do because of their history.

If they would have done THIS closure on DAY ONE, HK may be at like 5 or 10 infections instead of 20, and people wouldn't be as freaked out.

But nope. Carrie Lam just kept admonishing people, calling them "radicals" while stubbornly closing the borders more and more each day
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:42 PM   #380

Hong Kongers are not demanding a 100% closed border from Carrie right now. As I understand it, they just want the border closed to Mainland Chinese people. Goods and stuff are still expected to come in?

At least that's the gist I have always been getting.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:48 PM   #381
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
Quote:
Hong Kongers are not demanding a 100% closed border from Carrie right now. As I understand it, they just want the border closed to Mainland Chinese people. Goods and stuff are still expected to come in?

I always got the gist that they want to fully close the border. If you want the border closure to be effective, than you limit hongers leaving to the mainland too.

Mainlanders can't just freely enter unless they have shenzhen hukou (even thats once a week, max 7 day stay) or an entry permit that was issued before the outbreak( new entry permits have been suspended after the outbreak)

They can try for transit through HK for a flight to an international destination, but HK immigration can refuse if they feel such transit is not valid.

I'd be more worried about hongers going to the mainland and coming back with the virus. For example the cruise passenger that got tested positive when the ship was docking at Yokahoma.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-03-2020, 03:51 PM   #382

Quote:

Who's to bring in these goods? They just drop it off at the border and someone picks it up?
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2020, 05:50 PM   #383

First death in Hong Kong, 39 year old male from Wuhan

First death in Philippines was a 44 year old male from Wuhan

These are the first 2 deaths outside China. No idea if they had underlying conditions, but the age is pretty scary.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:05 PM   #384

chances of YVR rejecting all Taipei flights in March? (Italy did it because of WHO's designation of 'Taipei, China')
Old 02-03-2020, 06:08 PM   #385

Only retard countries will be blocking Taiwan
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2020, 07:23 PM   #386
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Who's to bring in these goods? They just drop it off at the border and someone picks it up?
via rail, Just have a few guys with right hazmat clothing to drive it over and let it isolate for a few days.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:25 PM   #387

the physician who tried to warn about the outbreak then got detained contracted the disease

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/03/asia/...hnk/index.html
Old 02-03-2020, 07:44 PM   #388
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Whats worse is the dad who was quarantined, but his disabled kid was left home alone, and died. The father had plead online for help too, but after a week his son was found dead at home
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:48 PM   #389
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Whats worse is the dad who was quarantined, but his disabled kid was left home alone, and died. The father had plead online for help too, but after a week his son was found dead at home
That's fucked
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:24 PM   #390

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I dunno, but I'm sure that can be arranged.

Also, rarely mentioned in the "border-closing" request is a condition where Hong Kongers returning to Hong Kong (from Mainland China) will be placed under a 14 day quarantine.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:29 AM   #391

My cousins fiancé is from the mainland, and her pass into hk is up, they won't give her an extension, so he's bringing her into sz today, guess he'll get quarantined when he comes back

In taiwan rn masks are hard to find, but if you go into miniso it's filled with the novelty marvel fabric ones, almost couldn't resist
Old 02-04-2020, 01:40 AM   #392
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
The number is really growing... 427 death in china.
Do we really have 4 confirmed cases in Canada? I thought it was 3.
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:54 AM   #393

Quote:
My cousins fiancé is from the mainland, and her pass into hk is up, they won't give her an extension, so he's bringing her into sz today, guess he'll get quarantined when he comes back

In taiwan rn masks are hard to find, but if you go into miniso it's filled with the novelty marvel fabric ones, almost couldn't resist
Borders might be 100% locked down when he tries to come back, possibly no flights allowed either

We've been trying to get my wife's dad to come down here, but nope he refuses.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:19 AM   #394
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
^ My aunt went back to China in November and after I discovered about coronavirus in early January. We told her to come back but refused...
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:24 AM   #395

Have you talked to her about it since? Some places are more at risk than others, even when not locked down. I wouldn't want to be in Guangzhou for instance
Old 02-04-2020, 04:35 AM   #396

Wow things are moving fast now eh, hopefully thing s don't get worse, in terms of ppl contracting the virus

Have some relatives in China, they've got Canadian visas, and foreign passports etc, but they're /shrug about leaving, yet are afraid to leave home too, makes no sense
Old 02-04-2020, 04:44 AM   #397
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts
I have relatives all over the world looking for mask; and here are some complaints.

1) Most shipments of masks from China are locked down; unable to ship out from China to outside. Customs will just take them. There were 10 boxes declared lost.
2) With masks being shipped out, there has been thefts also. When you call the courier company; they will pay you insurance + 15% of declared value. Tons of anger but you can't not declare them as mask and you can't over declare the content's value.
3) My uncle is going to fly to Indonesia to personally pick up mask to bring back to HK.
which I think is f-ed up.... to go thru all this for a mask. Desperate times I guess.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:05 AM   #398

Quote:
Wow things are moving fast now eh, hopefully thing s don't get worse, in terms of ppl contracting the virus

Have some relatives in China, they've got Canadian visas, and foreign passports etc, but they're /shrug about leaving, yet are afraid to leave home too, makes no sense
Dude things are going to get much, much worse before they get better. It's barely even started yet. Incubation alone can be up to two weeks and we're not even at that point since this thread started. Barring a miracle cure, if it really is R0 3.8, the numbers are going to be staggering before they level out and start to go down. Not to freak anyone out, but this could very possibly be a pandemic the likes of which we haven't even considered possible in the last 100 years. Thankfully we also have technology to fight it, such as the spread of information and the ability to react with quarantines, monitoring, and border closures (lul).

The locked down cities in China are going to be so, so fucked when this is over. The "best case scenario" is that only a few million people get infected, and a few thousand die (remember SARS killed around 300 people) and that only wonderful scenario only happens if this is mostly contained within these cities. It's too late to save them. Why do you think countries are bailing people out of there? Anyone left in these cities are pretty much left to get sick and hopefully not die.

I totally understand the notion of not wanting to ditch your home, and just worry about getting by, but at the same time you can't just live your life like nothing is going on if you're in China or even Hong Kong (and possibly elsewhere eventually)
Old 02-04-2020, 06:07 AM   #399
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Why are Canadian-Chinese people not wanting to leave China to come back to Canada? Is it the risk of expose on route?
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:36 AM   #400
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,911 Posts
The same reason as why HK'ers with international passports didn't want to leave when riots were at it's height. Same reason why some don't want to leave when there are forest fires. Home is home. I bet most of us wouldn't leave here if it happened in Vancouver.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: