REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-26-2020, 03:22 AM   #151
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
And stories about the virus spreading before the carrier even shows symptoms aren't going to help ease the panic

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51254523
Advertisement
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:10 AM   #152
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Chinese official count of infected is up to 1975 (up 600 from yesterday). Actual number possibly 40K

Number will go up 33% by tomorrow.

We'll never be sure if the real number will come out. (to the idiot who failed me, the source is Lancaster University. The paper hasn't been peer reviewed yet, but it's not a "rumor"). Anyone with a functioning brain will know that the actual number is nothing like the reported number, based on the actions being taken.

HK, with 6 cases, is looking for somewhere to quarantine future patients. In other words, they expect hundreds or thousands of people to be diagnosed in the next couple weeks.

They were going to use a newly built public housing estate, but the people of Fanling didn't take kindly to it, and protested tonight, lighting the lobby of the building on fire. Government then canceled plans to use that building.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 07:25 AM   #153
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Good job containing the city.
buhdeh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2020, 07:51 AM   #154

lmao how tf did thst happen
Old 01-26-2020, 07:54 AM   #155
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
China. Hell, There are people lying to evade checks at airports (France) and flying knowingly with symptoms. Wouldn’t expect less.
buhdeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:00 AM   #156

HK blocking anyone who has been to Hubei province in the last 2 weeks from entering

Yeah there are 5 million Wuhan people floating around China and the world, spreading it all over the place. Chinese govt trying to get them to turn themselves in to be quarantined properly. I'm sure a lot of them started off just doing their normal CNY travel, so most will be within Hubei province.

This literally couldn't have happened at a worse time. (Of course, it really happened a month ago, and even more of this could have been avoided)
Old 01-26-2020, 08:41 AM   #157
I don't get it

John Hopkins University has created a tracking map for the virus:

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6
eclipseman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2020, 09:43 AM   #158
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
We'll never be sure if the real number will come out. (to the idiot who failed me, the source is Lancaster University. The paper hasn't been peer reviewed yet, but it's not a "rumor"). Anyone with a functioning brain will know that the actual number is nothing like the reported number, based on the actions being taken.
that's a transmission model aka forecast, from pundits on the other side of the world using publicly available data

unless some top health official from China blows the whistle we'll probably never know, everything else is basically hearsay at this point

i do feel bad for those on the ground

i think for managing spread/hysteria, China's already doing much better than 2003...it aint easy running 1.4B in times of crisis
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:53 AM   #159
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
With these so called "screenings" at checkpoints of land crossings/airports, it's not really even effective against this virus because symptoms don't show right away. Based on some of the news articles reads and videos I've seen, seems like they just check your body temperature with a thermometer. Shit ain't hitting until like 5-10 days later which is the scary part as you could be fine crossing the checkpoints.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:14 AM   #160
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
With these so called "screenings" at checkpoints of land crossings/airports, it's not really even effective against this virus because symptoms don't show right away. Based on some of the news articles reads and videos I've seen, seems like they just check your body temperature with a thermometer. Shit ain't hitting until like 5-10 days later which is the scary part as you could be fine crossing the checkpoints.
That was based on previous history of illness like Sars. There's so much we don't know about this one yet. But yeah, if its true that it's contagious while someone's asymptomatic, the next step is going to be straight up quarantines of people that have been in affected areas, or direct contact with known patients. They're going to need to figure out the incubation period quickly. When the first name or quarantines start, they're going to use 2weeks as a minimum I think, until there's better data.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:04 PM   #161
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhdeh View Post
Mind as well call him ex-mayor at this point.

The city was hosting a nation wide meeting earlier in the month. He suppress the news thinking it will blow over.

threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:49 PM   #162

Chinese New Year holiday has been extended until Feb 2 for the entire country
Old 01-26-2020, 04:55 PM   #163

Footage of a supermarket, allegedly in Wuhan, showing that plenty of food is available

Old 01-26-2020, 05:06 PM   #164
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Lot's of info on the web. Some are real and some are fake. But from what I gather from the in laws in Beijing. Pretty much all forms of entertainment place are closed IE Movie theaters, K rooms, pools, museum , malls, library, all tourist attractions. All major Chinese new year event are cancel, all tour group that's going to other countries have been cancel. Some of my wife's friend who run a travel agency said they are not allow to open any tour groups atm and they doing refund non stop. Not sure when the ban will be lifted. Some chain restaurant are close. Pretty much the in laws just stay home everyday.

Shits are hitting the fan when even malls are closed. Pretty much you can fly into China but it will be pretty hard to leave now.

EDIT: Oh a funny note other than all face mask in Van is out of stock, Some people are stocking up rubbing alcohol and disinfect wipes. Saw lot's of Chinese at Coq center Wal mart buying up rubbing alcohol, one couple even manage to buy 8 bottles of rubbing alcohol. Then they decided to buy disinfect wipes. However, the antibacterial hand wipes are sold out but they bought some wipes for your ass after you take a shit and use it. LOL not sure if they know what the purchase isn't going to help much since they don't seem to know English....... Also according to wife's parent a lot of people are returning to Beijing early (migrante workers, they work in Beijing). I am sure this will lead to the number of people getting infected in Beijing to raise up very soon.

Last edited by Mr.HappySilp; 01-26-2020 at 05:31 PM.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2020, 09:35 PM   #165
My homepage has been set to RS

danned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:55 PM   #166
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
Guangzhou has pretty shutdown places that are crowded (like malls and nightclub, u know places like that are crowded) due to an outbreak in Guangzhou

Story goes that someone that works for the city administration (the city inspectors that inspected the streets) host his mother in law from wuhan that was trying to protection and shelter in Guangzhou

Little did they know that the mother in law was infected (she didn’t even know cuz some how she didn’t get checked), they all went to the huang pu CNY market annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd infected about around 3000 ppl

Since this guy job also requires him to run around the streets, we don’t even know how many other ppl he has hit, nor do we know if his family has been outside else where

CNY markets in Guangzhou lost money cuz government decided to close the markets at 6pm on the last day, which in tradition it’s where they slash prices and clear out inventory

No going to lie this is the first time I have ever felt scared and had to wear a mask (public places that are still open would ask u to wear a mask) and with Guangzhou being pretty empty but yet still managed to get around 3000 ppl hit, this is quite scary in a way for me

Also there have been pictures and videos that surfaced online where some ppl are reselling used masks, which is a little crazy right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:33 PM   #167

If you're in GZ gtfo of there before other countries ban you from entering!

I am a bit ashamed to admit, I just saw someone wearing one of those ugly BALENCIOGAGA mainlander uniforms, and I held my breath a bit. It's shitty I know, but a gut reaction considering there is a higher chance - however much that may be - that he or someone he knows was in Hubei in the last month
Old 01-26-2020, 11:14 PM   #168
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhdeh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
I don't blame China or the police / army. If this every happened in Canada or US, GOOD FOOKING luck trying to contain Coquitlam, Maple Ridge.. pick any US city... you'll be seeing some hill billy trying to off road, 4X4, ATV their way and driving thru farm lands and back roads trying to escape...

Hell, if this was Richmond I bet you'll have people trying to set sail to Blaine.....
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:08 AM   #169

Yeah but for that many ppl to have been able to leave it sounds like public transportation Wasn't shutdown like they claim
Old 01-27-2020, 12:22 AM   #170

I think most of them were gone for CNY travels before any ban took effect

If you're locking down a city of 11 million, it's not going to happen all at once! What needed to happen was trying to keep it under control while there were 10's not thousands of people infected with this new virus. But nope, got to save face instead. That is literally the only thing that matters. Until it doesn't.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:23 AM   #171
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
Seems like if u don’t wear a mask u can’t on public transit and they call the police if u don’t cooperate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:53 AM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
that's a transmission model aka forecast, from pundits on the other side of the world using publicly available data

unless some top health official from China blows the whistle we'll probably never know, everything else is basically hearsay at this point

i do feel bad for those on the ground

i think for managing spread/hysteria, China's already doing much better than 2003...it aint easy running 1.4B in times of crisis
Right, the goal is to figure out how many people are actually sick. They used that model, saying China reported about 5%. I would believe that number in a second, and in fact it is possible a huge underestimate if anything.

More estimates coming in, HKU head Gabriel Leung (who got egg on his face earlier for dumb comments) spoke about it today

He says 25,000 cases in Wuhan, with a possible up to 43,000

Locking down Wuhan isn't going to work anymore

Each major city in China is going to have hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of very sick people in the next few months.

Blocking people from Wuhan isn't nearly enough. The whole point of "two systems" is so HK can protect itself from this sort of thing. There is literally no argument against it, other than "losing face"

This may push the protests straight into chaotic riot territory
Old 01-27-2020, 01:56 AM   #173
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
I am a bit ashamed to admit, I just saw someone wearing one of those ugly BALENCIOGAGA mainlander uniforms, and I held my breath a bit. It's shitty I know, but a gut reaction considering there is a higher chance - however much that may be - that he or someone he knows was in Hubei in the last month
No idea what balenciaga and had to google it. Is it this?

Spoiler!
Old 01-27-2020, 02:18 AM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
No idea what balenciaga and had to google it. Is it this?

Spoiler!
Yes but it's usually just plain black clothing with a huge ugly logo on it.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:19 AM   #175

I've never seen pacific place mall so empty... I know it's been a minute since I was in HK, but wtf... And since when did starbucks baristas get a snobby attitude