REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-01-2020, 09:42 PM   #351
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts

Advertisement
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-01-2020, 10:02 PM   #352
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
Personally, I think Singapore and Taiwan should be ok by April, but my in laws are freaking out.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:30 AM   #353
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
Supermarkets seem 100% back to normal as of today. Still no masks or hand sanitizers though.

I live kind of out in the boonies, but near a hiking trail entrance. I noticed a lot more people than usual on the trails, especially families with kids (usually it's just old people on Sundays). Seems a lot of people are doing outdoor activities out of the crowds these days, rather than going shopping which is by far the most popular weekend activity. Hope they stick to it even after this!

"Mall" areas of Kowloon like Kowloon Tong and Megabox, almost 100% people wear masks, maybe 95-98%. I am usually the only one without one, but I'll put one on when it gets really crowded. In MK, there are practically no tourists which is crazy to see, but still lots of locals out and about. With these people, mask wearing is about 70% I'd say, whether it's old or young people. Either they don't care, or just can't find any for regular price. Also lots of smokers who obviously don't give a fuck.

Saw some pharmacies in the area selling them for $400 HKD per box of 50, which is roughly 10X normal price (also who knows how legit these masks are). Nobody was buying those, but lining up at other pharmacies (not sure what they were selling or how much)

HK may have its first case of person to person transmission outside Wuhan travelers. That of course is freaking everyone out. The union backed out of talks with the government, since Carrie Lam refused to show up to the meeting. Strike is still planned for tomorrow.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2020, 12:51 AM   #354
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
Reporting from Tokyo. Managed to find a pack of facemasks today at a non-descript konbini of all places. All the drugstores, supermarkets, department stores have been 100% sold out for some time now.

Not related to this recent outbreak, but most malls and supermarkets always have pump hand sanitizers here so its not too bad.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:26 AM   #355
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
When I was leaving HK today (yay I'm out) I noticed police patrolling everywhere, I hadn't seen one officer my entire time back in HK, just saw a police van once, today, there were teams of 3 patrolling every block up to the MTR
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:24 AM   #356
Need my Daily Fix of RS

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/be...02-p53wyb.html
buhdeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 03:34 PM   #357
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
When I was leaving HK today (yay I'm out) I noticed police patrolling everywhere, I hadn't seen one officer my entire time back in HK, just saw a police van once, today, there were teams of 3 patrolling every block up to the MTR

It's not a surprise. I asked my cousin + his wife as they are both cops. I asked them it's common to walk "beat" but they say they generally don't walk "the beat" anymore. Po po are worried about their safety + protest, they just normally sit around in the van.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:47 PM   #358

^^^ just found it so odd, I thought maybe something was going to go down, there were sooo many of em!

Thailand thinks it has a cure, using HIV treatment drugs

https://www.dailysabah.com/health/20...il-in-48-hours
Old 02-02-2020, 08:56 PM   #359

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
^^^ just found it so odd, I thought maybe something was going to go down, there were sooo many of em!

Thailand thinks it has a cure, using HIV treatment drugs

https://www.dailysabah.com/health/20...il-in-48-hours
Where was it? There have been scattered protests and the government tries to find a place to quarantine 'all these sick tourists that keep coming in' that are always in residential areas. SSP was one, as well as Richland Gardens in Kowloon Bay area.

I don't know why they don't just use the Disneyland resort. Disneyland will be closed the entire time, is partially owned by the government, and is far away from any residential area. And it would be comfortable for those who were quarantined, so they don't go nuts in tiny shitty rooms with no amenities. It would be the perfect place to quarantine, and any government with people who have functioning brains would at least consider it.

But nope, let's force the issue and just pepper spray people who say no.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:09 PM   #360

Hospital built in 10 days... Definitely not for show!

1000 beds, almost enough to cover the amount of new infections in Wuhan the day it was opened

This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2020, 12:06 AM   #361

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I don't know why they don't just use the Disneyland resort. Disneyland will be closed the entire time, is partially owned by the government, and is far away from any residential area. And it would be comfortable for those who were quarantined, so they don't go nuts in tiny shitty rooms with no amenities.
You are right on the partially owned, but because it's also private, gov't doesn't have a right to jeopardize & dedicate the private sector.

No one ever wants it in their backyard so there will always be riots wherever they pick. The only place I can think of is the old airport but now its actual docking ports. During SARS, someone thought of using cruise ships. But because there is a risk of quarantine and corpses there are special regulations on sharing same ventilation systems.

I don't fucking get it; they feel disrespected because Carrie didn't meet. Nurses protest for shutdown & strike Monday. Tuesday, firefighters, Wednesday, janitor union strike, Thursday doctors strike, Friday pharmacist .... Oh, do you see a cop saying FUCK this, dude has a ak-47, MP5, I have a revolver, I'm leaving. Firefighters seeing stage 4 fire, they feel threaten and leave? when will this ever stop.

Last edited by 6793026; 02-03-2020 at 12:12 AM.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 12:16 AM   #362

Border is being closed tonight, except for two points (I assume so logistics can still happen)

Old 02-03-2020, 12:23 AM   #363

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
You are right on the partially owned, but because it's also private, gov't doesn't have a right to jeopardize & dedicate the private sector.

No one ever wants it in their backyard so there will always be riots wherever they pick. The only place I can think of is the old airport but now its actual docking ports. During SARS, someone thought of using cruise ships. But because there is a risk of quarantine and corpses there are special regulations on sharing same ventilation systems.

I don't fucking get it; they feel disrespected because Carrie didn't meet. Nurses protest for shutdown & strike Monday. Tuesday, firefighters, Wednesday, janitor union strike, Thursday doctors strike, Friday pharmacist .... Oh, do you see a cop saying FUCK this, dude has a ak-47, MP5, I have a revolver, I'm leaving. Firefighters seeing stage 4 fire, they feel threaten and leave? when will this ever stop.
Govt would of course pay for the use of the resort, just like they would for all the other places they're trying to rent. Including those in the private sector. That is not a valid argument.

As for "when will this ever stop" the answer is pretty clear.

Not sure what your point is about firefighters and police.. Nothing to be said there unless you want to clarify what you were trying to say...
Old 02-03-2020, 01:48 AM   #364

The police presence? That was at north point, by the harbour north malls
Old 02-03-2020, 03:21 AM   #365
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post

I think the better comparison is sending a beat cop with a rubber baton against armed robbers, then finding out only 1 in 3 of them will have a rubber baton.
twdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:25 AM   #366

Thanked 4,014 Times in 1,911 Posts
Damn, Greta might be right!

Coronavirus outbreak shows the risk in ignoring human activity’s impact on nature (Toronto Star article)

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/202...on-nature.html
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-03-2020, 07:17 AM   #367
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post

Coronavirus outbreak shows the risk in ignoring human activity’s impact on nature (Toronto Star article)

This is just natures way of trying to remove the human virus off the planet. We need a good culling of people, naturally, as this planet is horrifically overpopulated.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:30 AM   #368
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Border is being closed tonight, except for two points (I assume so logistics can still happen)
Well whats gonna happen to those that commute, live in SZ work in HK?

are hongers immune to the bloody virus? all the bloody focus is on mainlanders

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-03-2020, 08:43 AM   #369
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
are hongers immune to the bloody virus? all the bloody focus is on mainlanders
well considering >90% of the total 17,000 cases are from mainlanders, of course there is a focus on them. Based on the current stats, I think it's foolish to say HKers are being racist for not letting mainlanders in. This is a health issue we are talking about that is hard to track and even harder to contain once it starts spreading.

If this started in HK, i'm sure China would have closed off all the borders to restrict HKers to leave.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

The government is currently doing half ass measures rather than having a set of balls like other countries (Italy, Vietnam, etc..). Take a hardline approach and close all the borders. If it doesn't work, the government can at least have the excuse of saying they listened to the people and they were wrong.

Last edited by bcedhk; 02-03-2020 at 10:36 AM.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2020, 09:11 AM   #370
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post

Bubonic Plague checking in from before human caused climate change was invented.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:15 AM   #371
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcedhk View Post
well considering >90% of the total 17,000 cases are from mainlanders, of course there is a focus on them. Based on the current stats, I think it's idiot to say HKers are being racist for not letting mainlanders in. This is a health issue we are talking about that is hard to track and even harder to contain once it starts spreading.

If this started in HK, i'm sure China would have closed off all the borders to restrict HKers to leave.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

The government is currently doing half ass measures rather than having a set of balls like other countries (Italy, Vietnam, etc..). Take a hardline approach and close all the borders. If it doesn't work, the government can at least have the excuse of saying they listened to the people and they were wrong.
you also have 40k hongers coming back from SZ for god knows what on feb 2nd, also do we tell the 3* id card hongers that live in sz to GLHF?

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-03-2020, 10:41 AM   #372
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Well yes. HKers in China should remain in China until the virus subsides. If China/HK are really under the 1 country 2 system, then build or find a building that can offer support to HKers in the Mainland until there is more control of the spread of this virus.

It will probably be safer for them to stay where they are rather than be in a crowded border line ups with potential virus carriers.

Stay home, eat, sleep and repeat.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:20 AM   #373
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
Lol went to Superstore and walked by the hand sannies just to see, cleared, even the travel size ones. Was at Whole Foods after and they had some. Guess people don't want it bad enough if they have to pay whole food prices for them.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:53 AM   #374
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Lol went to Superstore and walked by the hand sannies just to see, cleared, even the travel size ones. Was at Whole Foods after and they had some. Guess people don't want it bad enough if they have to pay whole food prices for them.
Wouldn’t surprise me the least bit if they bought them all to resell via WeChat
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 12:05 PM   #375
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,308 Times in 2,515 Posts
The latest border closing measures are practically useless as far as getting on top of the coronavirus spreading situation is concerned. All it will do is reduce the volume of Hong Kong - China traveller volume by a bit, but all remaining travellers will simply be consolidated to those 3 remaining ports of entry.

Furthemore, the airport and Shenzhen Bay entry points are the highest volume ports of entry for Mainland Chinese visitors anyway, so little is changed.

The way Carrie Lam is handling this is exactly like how she absolutely fxxked up the China extradition law fiasco. At first it was steadfast refusal, then she gave in a little, calling it postponement instead of outright withdrawl, then she gave in a little more, saying the bill is dead, and then she uttered some more nonsense while still refusing to formally withdraw it. Just like the CCP hasn't learned shxt from 2003 SARS, Carrie hasn't fxxking learned shxt from the extradition bill either.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote