REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-17-2020, 07:54 AM   #6951
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Businesses can do their part once vaccine rolls out to incentivize getting it . Want to get on a plane? Show your vaccine card. Want to watch a movie in the theatre? Show your vaccine card. Eat at a crowded chain restaurant like Earls/Cactus/Joeys? Card!
Like that Matt Damon movie, those who weren't vaccinated yet had to stay inside, and those who were had a scannable tag... or like China with their phone app

Japan should do that with the Olympics next year, want to come to the olympics/enter Japan? Show us it vaccination papers, or get vaccinated at customs
Advertisement
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:30 AM   #6952
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,699 Times in 1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Love dis dystopian timeline
You keep saying things like this as if somehow it means anything.

It's not really dystopian if you consider the alternatives, no? You want to live on a farm secluded from everyone else? No? How about in the jungle? No? Arctic circle?

Like is 2020 dystopian compared to 1950 because we all have to wear seatbelts and not drink when we drive?

What about 1950 compared to 1800? You're not allowed to shit in the street anymore! Dystopia!!

What about 1800 compared to 1300? What? I can't pillage my neighbour and rape his wife!? Government tyranny!

Like seriously man.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-17-2020, 08:42 AM   #6953
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,355 Times in 5,656 Posts
Having a chip on your person to prove you were injected with some RNA vaccine aint equivalent to wearing a seatbelt lol..

I dont really care as i will get the vaccine asap if that means international travel is opened up.

I bring up the dystopian part because this is the type of thing that countless fiction novels have been written on. and to stir covid cucks like yourself up
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-17-2020, 08:47 AM   #6954
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Thank god they don’t put chips in face masks or you’d have a complete toddler tantrum
Old 11-17-2020, 08:49 AM   #6955
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,389 Times in 1,233 Posts
who is talking about implanting chips onto your person? Sounds like Bill Gates 5G conspiracy fuckery to me. I'm talking about the yellow booklet that you get filled in when you get your Hep A/MMR/Tetanus shots.

Many countries already do this with the Yellow Fever vaccine. Don't have one? Get denied entry or get jabbed on the spot by some sketchy border guard.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:50 AM   #6956

when i say chip i just mean RFID built into your phone etc. which would have the health data or an app
Old 11-17-2020, 09:23 AM   #6957
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
who is talking about implanting chips onto your person? Sounds like Bill Gates 5G conspiracy fuckery to me. I'm talking about the yellow booklet that you get filled in when you get your Hep A/MMR/Tetanus shots.

Many countries already do this with the Yellow Fever vaccine. Don't have one? Get denied entry or get jabbed on the spot by some sketchy border guard.
Those vaccines weren't developed within a year though. And not on a scale of what's projected for a covid vaccine.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:54 AM   #6958
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,457 Times in 5,116 Posts
Guilty of yellow fever here
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:58 AM   #6959
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Private companies are already logging all kinds of info about you, if they care to I imagine it'd be easy for them to determine (or guess) whether you get a COVID vaccine. I'm not exactly a fan of such things but if they're happening anyways may as well be useful and provide accurate vaccination information.

Spoiler!
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2020, 12:23 PM   #6960
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,515 Times in 4,906 Posts
Just got news that two seniors from the care home my mother-in-law is in got taken to hospital last night. They were in the same ward/wing. For the longest time, they were in lock down. Then in recent months, they’ve been allowing visitors. Not sure what their rules were, but nobody visited her from our family. My mother in law was very understanding and we definitely didn’t want to be the ones to bring Covid to the place. How can people place others at risk? I don’t get it. I drop off goodies to the place. Items are sanitized and put together with gloves. The newsletters I print out as quarantined for a few weeks.

Someone was careless at the place. I listen to Bonnie Henry’s reports with fingers crossed that the care home would not be mentioned.

Now all I can do is hope they totally clean the place and isolate everybody.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:33 PM   #6961

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
How can people place others at risk? I don’t get it.
My family friend, her father had a bad stroke a few years ago and hasn’t been able to be home since, has been in a long term care facility. Not old either, late 60’s. He had another stroke and has been non-verbal since. His mind is there, but has no easy way of communicating since he can no longer talk and has poor dexterity.

They haven’t been able to see him since February. He is wasting away in a care home and it’s hurting the family deeply. His wife is home with the grandchildren, but hasn’t been able to see her husband of 45 years for months when he needs her the most.

Covid sucks. It’s unfortunate on all sides. Do I think it’s selfish to risk bringin in covid to a care facility? Yes. But I also see the other side of that coin.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:00 PM   #6962
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,822 Times in 2,506 Posts
dystopian?
there's no talk of Daybreakers, I am Legend, or 28 days later...we're not there yet

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:19 PM   #6963
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
Lessons from Australia: Victoria shows the world what a real lockdown looks like

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ysis-1.5804343

but i thought only puppet states can control covid well doe
our culture not following rules/recommendation is a poor excuse

Quote:
Businesses can do their part once vaccine rolls out to incentivize getting it . Want to get on a plane? Show your vaccine card. Want to watch a movie in the theatre? Show your vaccine card. Eat at a crowded chain restaurant like Earls/Cactus/Joeys? Card!
might as well wear a star on your arm
i'm for vaccination but a health card is a slippery slope
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:39 PM   #6964
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
It is absolutely dystopian to do what's being discussed here. I think a lot of people will accept it though, as it may be the only way to "move on" from where we are now.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2020, 01:48 PM   #6965
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,389 Times in 1,233 Posts
What kind of dystopian fiction are you guys reading? Getting a vaccine and then telling people about it so you can patronize their business for a year, maybe 2 tops, so we can get back to normal is hardly the stuff of nightmares.

The reality we live in now (lockdown/half-measures, anti-mask protests, politicizing a disease, businesses shuttering) is much more dystopian IMO.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2020, 02:01 PM   #6966

Well in any fiction novel it would seem those two would go hand in hand no? Lol
Old 11-17-2020, 02:07 PM   #6967
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
Quote:
What kind of dystopian fiction are you guys reading? Getting a vaccine and then telling people about it so you can patronize their business for a year, maybe 2 tops, so we can get back to normal is hardly the stuff of nightmares.

The reality we live in now (lockdown/half-measures, anti-mask protests, politicizing a disease, businesses shuttering) is much more dystopian IMO.
IMO it's dystopian in that it will create a huge divide in society - vaccinated vs unvaccinated. Add to that the fact that this division will be traceable via something like an ID card, or more likely a phone app, makes it also look like something you'd see in dystopian sci-fi.

Picture the scenario someone pointed out above, the idea being totally reasonable to have to scan your phone or show a card to be allowed to go to into a restaurant or to see a movie.

It's a logical solution, and like I said a lot of people are going to accept it. And it's not something like a social credit score or anything like that. But it's still eerily similar to what you think of when you consider a dystopian future. Also what if some people can't get access to a vaccine for whatever reason? Maybe there will be issues where some vaccines are better than others, or some make certain people sick? We don't know anything yet. And Canadians will be covered, but what about countries where people would have to pay for the vaccine themselves? In that case, there will be many who can't afford it.

Also, once the tracing and splitting up and tracing society starts, do you think it will stop there? Or will society move towards tracing more things? Things like this usually only go in one direction.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2020, 02:17 PM   #6968
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
I'm probably gonna get fails but if given the choice I for one would vote to bring the hammer down hard and get it over with.
What's 1 month of complete total lockdown (EVERYTHING shutdown), need permit to leave the house, etc) compared to this current situation of dragging this on for 10 months and counting? ...
I had a discussion with a friend (over the phone of course lolz) and the best example is... would you rather take 1 hard swift kick in the nuts and be done with it or would you prefer to take a punch to the gut every month for the rest of the year?
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2020, 02:18 PM   #6969
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
717 new cases with 11 deaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 02:23 PM   #6970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
I'm probably gonna get fails but if given the choice I for one would vote to bring the hammer down hard and get it over with.
What's 1 month of complete total lockdown (EVERYTHING shutdown), need permit to leave the house, etc) compared to this current situation of dragging this on for 10 months and counting? ...
I had a discussion with a friend (over the phone of course lolz) and the best example is... would you rather take 1 hard swift kick in the nuts and be done with it or would you prefer to take a punch to the gut every month for the rest of the year?
But it's not going to be done with after a month. There's no reason why it wouldn't just come back once things open up again
-Norm Franz
Old 11-17-2020, 02:25 PM   #6971
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
https://archive.news.gov.bc.ca/relea...061-001943.htm

Quote:
VICTORIA – Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer, and Adrian Dix, Minister of Health, have issued the following joint statement regarding updates on the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) response in British Columbia:

“Today, we are reporting 717 new cases of COVID-19, including one epi-linked case, for a total of 23,661 cases in British Columbia.

“There are 6,589 active cases of COVID-19 in the province. There are 198 individuals currently hospitalized with COVID-19, 63 of whom are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

“Currently, 10,960 people are under active public health monitoring as a result of identified exposure to known cases and 16,469 people who tested positive have recovered.

“We have had 177 new cases of COVID-19 in the Vancouver Coastal Health region, 484 in the Fraser Health region, 16 in the Island Health region, 18 in the Interior Health region, 21 in the Northern Health region and one new case of a person who resides outside of Canada.

“There have been 11 new COVID-19 related deaths, for a total of 310 deaths in British Columbia. We offer our condolences to everyone who has lost their loved ones during the COVID-19 pandemic.

“We have one new health-care facility outbreak at Tsawaayuss-Rainbow Gardens in the Island Health region. There have been no new community outbreaks.

“We need everyone working together to stay small, stay local and help us slow the spread of COVID-19 in our province.

“The biggest impact you can make is through the small actions you take every day.

“Just as we put on our jackets to keep us warm in the rain and snow, so too are our COVID-19 safety layers there to protect all of us. Washing your hands, keeping a safe distance and always wearing a mask in places where you are around people you don’t know – these things make a difference.

“We have seen an increase in new cases on Vancouver Island, in the Interior and in the North, many of which are connected to travel to and from the Lower Mainland. That is why is it important that we stay local and travel less right now.

“When we spend time inside with people from outside of our household, our work group or school cohort, the risks increase for everyone. Instead, let’s stay connected virtually and make it a safer winter for all of us.”
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 02:29 PM   #6972

Thanked 3,496 Times in 1,693 Posts
C'mon Dr. Bonnie, and Horgan, take decisive action! Our daily Covid cases are going up at a scary rate!

We need curfews at night for at least a week to flatten the curve.

From what my American cousins in Arizona state tell me, their two curfews this year from 8pm to 5am for two periods of one week each helped flatten their curve.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:31 PM   #6973

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
IMO it's dystopian in that it will create a huge divide in society - vaccinated vs unvaccinated. Add to that the fact that this division will be traceable via something like an ID card, or more likely a phone app, makes it also look like something you'd see in dystopian sci-fi.

Picture the scenario someone pointed out above, the idea being totally reasonable to have to scan your phone or show a card to be allowed to go to into a restaurant or to see a movie.

It's a logical solution, and like I said a lot of people are going to accept it. And it's not something like a social credit score or anything like that. But it's still eerily similar to what you think of when you consider a dystopian future. Also what if some people can't get access to a vaccine for whatever reason? Maybe there will be issues where some vaccines are better than others, or some make certain people sick? We don't know anything yet.

Also, once the tracing and splitting up and tracing society starts, do you think it will stop there? Or will society move towards tracing more things? Things like this usually only go in one direction.
It's going to create serious social issues, IMO.
Look how split people have become just over masks. And that's only a piece of cloth. Vaccines will be the same only amplified
-Norm Franz
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2020, 02:32 PM   #6974
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,515 Times in 4,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Last time I was at Walmart, back in June, their machines didn't accept tap.
You had to touch the key pad to enter your code. Ewww
Well, I’ll be a Gorilla’s nephew.................. I just came out of the Walmart on Grandview Hwy. Cancel the call for all Karen’s. The self serve checkouts now have tap. I even used my Amex card and it worked. Like I said, “I’ll be a monkey’s uncle.”

I did have my gloves in my pocket. Didn’t need to whip it out.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2020, 02:32 PM   #6975
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,699 Times in 1,626 Posts
Social aspects aside, the word dystopia actually means an unjust society or one with great suffering. The stuff from Orwell and Bradbury (or Hunger Games) could be called one, but that's heavily leaning on the fact that everyone's life is controlled by the state, and essentially your freedom is given up.

With vaccines, many countries require kids to get shots before being allowed into school, with a few exemptions (medical, religious, whatever) - is that dystopian?

My 7 month old has a little handheld booklet the doctor fills out. She doesn't have any chips in her body (seriously, what a stupid thing to even bring up at this point), nor is she in some government database with credits added to her name so she can travel out of the city.

Watching a movie, or even international travel for leisure isn't really a right either. Private business can do what they want as long as it doesn't violate the Canadian charter of rights and freedoms.

You want to look at a real life dystopia, just look at China. That's what a near-dystopian future looks like and it's scary af that we all live on the same planet. But to say what we face here in Canada as dystopian is pretty entitled, and pretty stupid.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: