REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-17-2020, 08:55 PM   #7001
Need to Seek Professional Help

Seems like most deaths are coming from assisted-living, long-term care homes, seniors’ rental buildings, as they are the highest risk.

Here's a list scraped from Reddit:

Vancouver Coastal Health – nine facilities
Arbutus Care Centre (second occurrence)
Banfield Pavilion
Capilano Care Centre
Columbus Residence
Fraserview Intermediate Care Lodge
Holy Family Hospital (fourth occurrence)
Louis Brier Home & Hospital
Royal Arch Masonic Home (second occurrence)
Three Links Care Centre

Fraser Health – 28 facilities
Agassiz Seniors Community
Al Hogg Pavilion (second occurrence)
Amenida Seniors Community
Belvedere Care Centre
Chartwell Langley Gardens (second occurrence)
Dania Home (second occurrence)
Evergreen Baptist Care Society
Fellburn Care Centre
Finnish Manor
Fort Langley Seniors Community
George Derby Centre (second occurrence)
Good Samaritan Delta View Care Centre
Harrison Pointe
Hawthorne Senior Care Community – assisted living
Hawthorne Seniors Care Community – long-term care
Holyrood Manor
Jackman Manor
Kiwanis Care Centre
Laurel Place
Normanna (second occurrence)
Northcrest Care Centre
Peace Portal Seniors Village (second occurrence)
PICS Assisted Living (third occurrence)
Suncreek Village
Tabor Home (second occurrence)
The Harrison at Elim Village (second occurrence)
The Residence in Mission
White Rock Senior Village (second occurrence)

Northern Health – one facility
Rotary Manor Dawson Creek

Interior Health – three facilities
Hamlets at Westsyde
Sun Pointe Village
Village by the Station

Island Health – one facility
Tsawaayuss-Rainbow Gardens

Many of these facilities have had 2-3 occurrences of an outbreak. One facility even has 4 occurrences... not sure what is going on with that one...
Advertisement
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:16 PM   #7002
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,351 Times in 5,654 Posts
I’ve been in 4-5 of the centre’s on the list through work, have seen more of them then most ppl that have family etc there would

Frankly these places are terrible, borderline cruel places where people are just propped up before death. It’s a miracle the entire place doesn’t die off when covid gets in. I don’t envy the people that work in these places.

The George derby Center is especially sad, as most there seem like a breeze blowing down the halls would be enough to kill off more than a few. In some ways it’s probably the end of a cruel fate that got them there in the first place

Last edited by Hondaracer; 11-17-2020 at 09:22 PM.
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2020, 09:59 PM   #7003
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I’ve been in 4-5 of the centre’s on the list through work, have seen more of them then most ppl that have family etc there would

Frankly these places are terrible, borderline cruel places where people are just propped up before death. It’s a miracle the entire place doesn’t die off when covid gets in. I don’t envy the people that work in these places.

The George derby Center is especially sad, as most there seem like a breeze blowing down the halls would be enough to kill off more than a few. In some ways it’s probably the end of a cruel fate that got them there in the first place
damn that's sad
can you give examples / describe the condition
m4k4v4li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:04 PM   #7004
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post
and that's your choice, which is how a free country operates. now, I hope you will take the time to at least read the study and understand the process as to why it would be safe (assuming no hiccups from now until roll out). when it comes to vaccines, the data either supports it or it doesn't. there's no in between. if they are indeed 90-95% effective than i cannot see a legitimate reason to abstain but again, that's your choice.
I certainly will. I know I've mentioned this before, but my wife is immunocompromised. She's also basically the sole caregiver to her father who is a hairs width from being on dialysis because of his many ailments. If i brought this home to her and, god forbid, her or her father became fatally ill, i would be devastated.
Needless to say, this isn't a decision I'll make lightly.
Thank you for being respectful of my personal freedom, as i also try to be of others. Regardless of whether i agree.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2020, 10:15 PM   #7005
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
If we put aside the “long term health effects” which are mostly unknown at this point, it could be very serious, it could be very minimal long term
I'm not an expert, but I doubt scar tissue in your lungs or damage to your heart are the kind of things that will be short term or minimal. Hopefully once solid vaccines are sorted out some attention will shift to helping correct these things but it's hard to say.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 06:32 AM   #7006
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
Like was said before. It's funny the people who will be the first in line for a vaccine disregarding any long term risks but are also the ones full of fear about the unknown possible long term effects of being one of the few people who actually get covid symptoms
The difference here is most of us are scared of neither. We just want things to go back to normal ASAP.
The people shouting for shit to go back to normal and not participate in any possible solution are going to prolong it.
FIX MY PROBLEMS! NO I DONT LIKE THAT SOLUTION DO ANOTHER FIX.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2020, 06:47 AM   #7007
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Speaking of which, what ever happened to the OP?
Last Activity: 09-23-2020 04:20 PM

Likely his wife's censorship puts China's to shame.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:10 AM   #7008

Too bad she didn’t mandate a lockdown for him when he had it.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2020, 08:22 AM   #7009
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Wait did he recover?
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:27 AM   #7010
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
Only his wife will ever know.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2020, 08:32 AM   #7011

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4k4v4li View Post
damn that's sad
can you give examples / describe the condition
They are essentially shitty hospitals run by care aids rather than nurses, the majority of which are seemingly overworked, underpaid philipeno women. I give them credit as most (as with almost all philipeno people I know) are extremely kind and patient with the residents here

The worst ones are seemingly the govt. run ones where people are just stuck there to die. You walk in and there’s keypads etc. With little stickers that say “input the current year” on the keypad to enter and exit as most od the residents aren’t capable of figuring the system out.

You walk in and the smell of piss, shit, and industrial cleaner is overwhelming. Most residents in these places barely have a will to live anymore just sitting at their table they are wheeled out to a couple times a day to have food shoved into their gaping mouths.

I’m not exactly sure what leads one to end up in these type of places, obviously most are in a state where they need the constant care of “professionals” and family members etc. Are not capable of providing it to them. However I would expect there are much nicer places you can pay to be in, but unless you’re of great means that’s a big burden to bear.

The really sad part is that there are some residents amongst the worst cases who are seemingly just old, normal people who are still “with it” but have no where else they can be stuck, so they deal with the other residents who are screaming throughout the day and night, the constant alarms alerting the nurses of Somone dieing etc. It’s really ducked to be honest.

Imo you’re better off being pushed off the back of a boat then spending any extended time in these places, it’s really heartbreaking
Old 11-18-2020, 08:38 AM   #7012

iirc even the expensive places to stay in Canada are crap, not sure about elsewhere
Old 11-18-2020, 09:21 AM   #7013
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
However I would expect there are much nicer places you can pay to be in, but unless you’re of great means that’s a big burden to bear.
My wife’s grandfather passed a few years ago, he stayed at a care home in Kerrisdale IIRC. It was quite nice, private room but it was $8,000 a month. I think the only reason he was there was the family was fighting over money/assets and the son who had PoA just said “fuck you all, you don’t deserve his money. HE does” and spent it all on a great care home
Old 11-18-2020, 10:04 AM   #7014

Horgan is giving a speech atm, and he's just reiterating the same line, blah blah blah
Old 11-18-2020, 10:13 AM   #7015

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
My wife’s grandfather passed a few years ago, he stayed at a care home in Kerrisdale IIRC. It was quite nice, private room but it was $8,000 a month. I think the only reason he was there was the family was fighting over money/assets and the son who had PoA just said “fuck you all, you don’t deserve his money. HE does” and spent it all on a great care home
I know the engineer I work with has his mom in a ridiculously expensive one back east he told me over 100K a year. If they have the funds why not I guess, he also said from selling their family farm his mom has enough money to stay there for 30 years and she's already in her 80s hah.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:18 AM   #7016
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,045 Times in 2,078 Posts
It’s sickening how these old age homes suck the inheritances right out of granny and grandad’s pockets though.

The world sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2020, 10:36 AM   #7017
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
They are essentially shitty hospitals run by care aids rather than nurses, the majority of which are seemingly overworked, underpaid philipeno women. I give them credit as most (as with almost all philipeno people I know) are extremely kind and patient with the residents here

The worst ones are seemingly the govt. run ones where people are just stuck there to die. You walk in and there’s keypads etc. With little stickers that say “input the current year” on the keypad to enter and exit as most od the residents aren’t capable of figuring the system out.

You walk in and the smell of piss, shit, and industrial cleaner is overwhelming. Most residents in these places barely have a will to live anymore just sitting at their table they are wheeled out to a couple times a day to have food shoved into their gaping mouths.

I’m not exactly sure what leads one to end up in these type of places, obviously most are in a state where they need the constant care of “professionals” and family members etc. Are not capable of providing it to them. However I would expect there are much nicer places you can pay to be in, but unless you’re of great means that’s a big burden to bear.

The really sad part is that there are some residents amongst the worst cases who are seemingly just old, normal people who are still “with it” but have no where else they can be stuck, so they deal with the other residents who are screaming throughout the day and night, the constant alarms alerting the nurses of Somone dieing etc. It’s really ducked to be honest.

Imo you’re better off being pushed off the back of a boat then spending any extended time in these places, it’s really heartbreaking
This is effectively what happened with us. My grandma on her 2nd stroke wasn't doing the greatest, with some early signs of alzheimer's, her unwillingness to do physio treatments, and overall lack of will to live, she just wasn't recovering. My parents were still working, brother is working, and I've moved out.

The thing that bursted the dam was when she tried to commit suicide while no one was home. She was in the hospital for 3 months because we just couldn't provide adequate care at home and there's no way we could prevent a suicide from happening again.

They fast tracked her to a care home. She ended up at Fraserview. It's a horrible place to be at these care homes. It's like being in a low security prison with unlimited visitation rights. The only bright spot for my grandma was when we visited. Her condition deteriorated very quickly in the last 3 years and she passed away in September this year.
When she first moved there, the place indeed smelled like piss all the time, people screaming, hot in the summer cold in the winter, dreary beige walls, depressing aura, all in one. Two years in the new building was built and it became a lot nicer, but still doesn't change the fact that it's like a low security prison.

To be clear, it wasn't covid that took her. I'm sad she's no longer here, but in some ways glad that she's no longer suffering. Covid meant we can no longer visit her and her only bright spot in the world was taken away. Her sphere of attention just wasn't big enough to be able to acknowledge us when we went to see her through the glass windows.

We got to see her before she passed away because they had to send her to the hospital for a medical condition. I saw her smile for the first time in a long while when I visited and talked to her for an hour at the hospital. She passed away 3 days after they sent her back to the care home. I believe that maybe she got to see us again and she was happy to go.

Yeah covid sucks. Care homes are bad places to be. Covid just makes it that much worse. I understand they need to protect these high risk residents from the big bad disease, but at the same time it's gray because you are almost taking everything worth living for away from these people who are stuck there.

Sorry for the long winded post. I'm just going through a rough patch in life right now, but I'm sure everyone is in someway or another.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:36 AM   #7018

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Horgan is giving a speech atm, and he's just reiterating the same line, blah blah blah
It was confusing and worthless, he did a lot of talking but didn’t say anything at all
Old 11-18-2020, 10:38 AM   #7019

Thanked 3,496 Times in 1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post

Horgan said some things about "pan-Canadian" travel. -telling Canadians to not travel between provinces for Christmas holiday family dinners etc.

He said "If you live in Quebec, Manitoba stay in Quebec, Manitoba" for the holidays.

He said that he is gonna talk to PM Trudeau about asking for federal government input on restricting inter provincial travel.

When a reporter asked him about the $1000 cheques for families, or $500 cheque per person, Horgan mentioned that work is already being done to send that money to families or individuals through direct deposit.

-no confirmed time frames given about the cheques. He mentioned it could be in our bank accounts by December 24th or January 5th.

Another reporter asked him if he is asking Transport Canada to allow passengers to stay inside vehicles while they are on a ferry to Vancouver Island. Horgan said that it is something to consider.

Horgan also mentioned that Dr. Bonnie is going to discuss new provincial orders tomorrow. Something in the works?

Last edited by pastarocket; 11-18-2020 at 10:50 AM.
pastarocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:01 AM   #7020
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
Horgan said some things about "pan-Canadian" travel. -telling Canadians to not travel between provinces for Christmas holiday family dinners etc.

He said "If you live in Quebec, Manitoba stay in Quebec, Manitoba" for the holidays.

He said that he is gonna talk to PM Trudeau about asking for federal government input on restricting inter provincial travel.

When a reporter asked him about the $1000 cheques for families, or $500 cheque per person, Horgan mentioned that work is already being done to send that money to families or individuals through direct deposit.

-no confirmed time frames given about the cheques. He mentioned it could be in our bank accounts by December 24th or January 5th.

Another reporter asked him if he is asking Transport Canada to allow passengers to stay inside vehicles while they are on a ferry to Vancouver Island. Horgan said that it is something to consider.

Horgan also mentioned that Dr. Bonnie is going to discuss new provincial orders tomorrow. Something in the works?
The whole $1000 cheque thing pisses me off to no end.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2020, 11:07 AM   #7021

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
The whole $1000 cheque thing pisses me off to no end.
Agreed. Good policies would be a much better selling point for me.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2020, 11:13 AM   #7022

That money was federally mandated if I’m not mistaken though. Better than going to Kennedy Stuart to buy himself some new pens.
Evofire, not quoting you to keep the message shorter, but sorry to hear about your loss and difficult times. It brings me to a conversation I had yesterday about people who are stuck in care homes and how this is dragging out. I can’t imagine the stress of being someone who’s confined to those homes having their only bright spot of family visits taken away from them in their final years.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-18-2020, 11:23 AM   #7023
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

And that $1000 will be blown on Christmas gifts and most of them probably non essential.
BlackV62K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:24 AM   #7024

Damn Evofire that sucks bro.

My grandma passed away around this time last year. She was 80 and her health had been up and down to say the least since by grandpa had died 8 years prior

She lived in an assisted living place in Langley which was actually very very nice now that I’ve seen other places, she lived independently and they just make your meals etc. The food was actually pretty good I went and had lunch with her once a week

Im sad she’s gone but at the same time if she was in the state she was in then during covid it would have been wayyyyy worse. She got out at the right time
Old 11-18-2020, 11:26 AM   #7025
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,699 Times in 1,626 Posts
The carehome thing is something most people will not understand until they're directly impacted.

My wife's grandma was in a carehome for about a year with dementia and alzheimers, and must like evofire, her only times of lucidity were when her grandparents visited. Her husband visited daily to be with her throughout most of the day. Now granted whenever we visited we didn't smell piss or hear any screaming, and I was actually impressed by at least what we could see (this was one in Richmond, not sure of the name) - but when Covid hit and they banned all visitors she died in a little over a month.

It sucked for everyone because funerals were also limited, but now everyone is very worried about the wife's grandpa, because he's literally stuck at home by himself, reminded of someone he lived with for 50+ years, and can't really have visitors.

This is another reason why people who are impartial to the situation and go so far as to protest lockdowns and policies (again, dystopia...smh) piss me off. These are human lives at stake. If it takes putting on a fucking mask to potentially save someone's life and their entire families grievance, why wouldn't you just fucking do it.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: