REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-20-2020, 06:44 PM   #7126
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,075 Times in 1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
What was the reason given that you must wear masks in all indoor places but schools are exempt? Not understanding the logic ... I think most kids do but why not mandatory? I think teachers want mandatory masks for students.
Their reasoning is that random people have no reason to congregate at schools.

Edit: ok congregate isn’t the right word. Although schools are “public” places, they’re also “private” in the sense that only the teachers, students, and parents have any business of being there. I agree, they should make masks mandatory in schools too, but it can be hard convincing young kids to do it cause they lack the understanding (or maybe they don’t see their parents set a good example). My 12 year old doesn’t complain, but my 6 year old does... and my wife and I have been pro-mask since day 1!
Advertisement
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi

Last edited by Gumby; 11-20-2020 at 09:53 PM.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:17 PM   #7127
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
That doesn't make sense either cuz obviously the children are going to see their parents, etc.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2020, 08:22 PM   #7128
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,279 Times in 1,634 Posts
I was talking to my coworker about it today at work. We both agreed it makes no sense. Children aren't immune and can easily be vectors of this virus.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:23 PM   #7129
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,353 Times in 5,655 Posts
After watching the entirety of the 4pm early global news, 5pm global national, and then the 6pm updated global news local, their reporting is absolutely abysmal and frankly a prime example of how you really can’t trust the media to provide the whole story as an informed individual.

They skew stories into fear mongering without providing the references or whole story.

Global national leads with this story

She builds the entire thing up without providing context then they cut to a badly chopped up clip where the doctor starts the conference by saying “there were obviously several underlying issues besides covid” resulting in the death.

I really think there is a conversation to be had regarding those numbers I posted directly from the CDC, people 45 and under -do not get seriously effected-

The issue is clearly the overrun health care system (Uhg again???) but that reasoning is obviously why masks are not mandated in schools, news flash, literally no one school aged has died from covid in BC and the ICU and hospitalization numbers are nothing.

You don’t have to mandate people who are not effected if those people are not carrying it into the vulnerable population via social interaction

Given those statistics if I was able to limit my contact to people my age or younger I would not have a problem at all within regular social groups. But yes, again, me carrying it to them who is careless and then carries it to their parent is the issue.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:35 PM   #7130
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
The reason schools aren't shut down can be explained in this twitter thread (click through to read the whole thing). There's also a WSJ article on it, but it's paywalled. He also spoke about it on the Joe Rogan podcast that I posted the other day (sorry I don't have a timestamp for that)

TLDR: Outside China, it's not possible to completely lock down millions of people until they die or survive, stopping the current wave in its tracks. Instead, they have to use several solutions which may have "holes" in them. Each solution covers the "holes" of the rest, so overall we can effectively slow or stop the wave.

Shutting schools down completely is seen as a 'last resort' sort of thing, because it causes a ton of other problems.

As for why they don't make students wear masks, honestly I don't know. Some schools make kids wear stupid looking uniforms, and they've been doing that for centuries, so I can't really explain why they couldn't do the same for masks.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:22 AM   #7131
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Interesting ruling out of Portugal on PCR tests.
https://www.portugalresident.com/jud...f-covid-tests/
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:10 AM   #7132

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Based on the statistic they give of a possibility of only 3% of cases being true positives, that means there are potentially more covid deaths than cases lol. Seems like that doesn’t align with the death rate of the world spiking.
How common is that specific test? I’d imagine it can’t be the standard.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:39 AM   #7133

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
I imagine the same tests are used when determining deaths. Though I'm not certain.
I did a little digging back when the New York Times article was published on PCR accuracy and the only province I could find cycling threshold for was Ontario, which was set at 35.
The thresholds are set by the manufacturers.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:45 AM   #7134

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
The thing is the worlds death rate has gone up by X. It makes sense that covid = X as other reasons for death would not have gone up by that total amount. Of course there will be some variance from year to year, but not to that extreme, and all up.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2020, 05:34 PM   #7135

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Ive been hearing first haand people have been getting fined $2000 for having people over at their house and $100 for each person they have over. I guess they are finally laying down the law. I guess its a start
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:18 PM   #7136
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
Ive been hearing first haand people have been getting fined $2000 for having people over at their house and $100 for each person they have over. I guess they are finally laying down the law. I guess its a start
Good.

And firsthand means... you're friends with these people?
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2020, 06:21 PM   #7137

First hand of a friend who heard it first hand from a friend saw it on a Whatsapp thread....
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2020, 07:34 PM   #7138
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ister-promises

$5000 if you tested positive and low-income
trd2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:23 PM   #7139

Quote:
Originally Posted by trd2343 View Post
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ister-promises

$5000 if you tested positive and low-income
Never wearing a mask again
Old 11-21-2020, 08:29 PM   #7140

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriyaki View Post
Good.

And firsthand means... you're friends with these people?
i guess its more second hand. 1 of my buddies parents had a family member come over and the other had 2 of their siblings come over
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 11:37 PM   #7141

Thanked 3,075 Times in 1,185 Posts
This was from a week ago:

Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2020, 12:09 AM   #7142
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,279 Times in 1,634 Posts
So, I don't know who remembers it but 3-6 months ago, Skinny and others shared predictions that this would be the worst winter ever due to covid. Some here had responded to that as just being alarmist and wouldn't come true. There was debate about whether the warm weather would slow the spread etc. Well..... we've obviously seen the spikes across the board in both Canada and the US.

US 200,000+ cases per day now, nearing 12.5mil infections with 261k dead. CDC has issued a plea with the public to not travel for thanksgiving but of course they aren't listening. Hospitalizations are through the roof now. I don't know what it will take for people to do the right thing down south.

Things in Sweden have also gone terribly. Watching the news, my understanding is that they had zero restrictions and figured herd immunity could be achieved during spring and that that would carry them through winter. The government there is now changing course and finally bringing in restrictions. They currently have 4x more deaths than their surrounding neighbours combined.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2020, 06:31 AM   #7143
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,457 Times in 5,116 Posts
So does the genius medical professional there who pushed the herd immunity thing actually face any kind of blowback or firing because of this? I mean he decided to try an unproven and somewhat unfounded theory and thousands of people got killed because of it........ that’s at least manslaughter isn’t it?
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2020, 08:22 AM   #7144
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
So does the genius medical professional there who pushed the herd immunity thing actually face any kind of blowback or firing because of this? I mean he decided to try an unproven and somewhat unfounded theory and thousands of people got killed because of it........ that’s at least manslaughter isn’t it?
Did they find any weapons of mass destruction in Iraq yet?
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2020, 08:33 AM   #7145

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
I could have sworn he admitted it was the wrong approach back in the spring at some point.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2020, 09:22 AM   #7146
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,353 Times in 5,655 Posts
6000 elderly dead to keep life normal? Seems aight
Old 11-22-2020, 09:34 AM   #7147
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Did they find any weapons of mass destruction in Iraq yet?
I agree with you from a justice perspective, but I don’t think it’s really part of this discussion or very applicable/comparable beyond the simplistic “One person made a decision that killed many other people” part.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:35 AM   #7148
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
I could have sworn he admitted it was the wrong approach back in the spring at some point.
I saw articles as recent as September of him saying he’s very proud of their approach / results.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:59 AM   #7149

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
I saw articles as recent as September of him saying he’s very proud of their approach / results.
https://nationalpost.com/news/world/...strategy-wrong
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:05 AM   #7150
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,911 Posts
Sweden should stick to making furniture, cars, and producing good hockey players ... don't try to be experts in other things.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote