REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-24-2020, 03:36 PM   #101
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
This virus isn't airborne, so the only thing the mask needs to do is block droplets from going into your nose and mouth. You don't need a respirator or even N95.

BTW China has now locked down 16 cities, putting 46 million people essentially in quarantine.

They are taking extremely drastic measures to control this. That's good, but it makes me wonder if the actual numbers are much much higher than they are saying.

HK protesters are going to try to shut down the high speed rail. 4 out of the 5 cases here have come in from Wuhan on that train.
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2020, 04:13 PM   #102
Banned By Establishment

Guaranteed that Vancouver and Toronto will be first on the list to receive cases, best thing to do is restrict travel from Asia, not self-declare a fucking headache. When people start to die in Richmond it’ll be too late.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2020, 04:15 PM   #103
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2020, 04:27 PM   #104
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
More like, "She's a Dirty Girl."

Like a former girlfriend said to me once............ "You turned me into a dirty girl."
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:34 PM   #105
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
Bring the sick to the birth tourism ward
Old 01-24-2020, 05:38 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Old 01-24-2020, 07:55 PM   #107
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
I think I'm going to stay away from Richmond for a while
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:31 PM   #108
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
I think I'm going to stay away from Richmond for a while
I actively avoid that cesspool whenever I’m in the GVA.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:40 PM   #109

Local governments are sealing themselves off from the epicenter

This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2020, 09:49 PM   #110
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Why not be a real man and go there and kill them yourself?
Old 01-25-2020, 12:32 AM   #111
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
Quote:
What a piece of shit thing to say. The child did no harm. Plus you don’t wish anyone to get sick.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2020, 12:57 AM   #112

It's part of the racist element of this whole thing, and the fact that the virus originated in China is not helping, with other cultural shit going on, and with their government basically turning their backs on the world.

I tried focusing for a minute what it would be like to just be a normal citizen of Wuhan, seeing thousands of people getting sick right before your eyes, seeing on social media videos of people flooding familiar hospitals, medical staff having mental breakdowns (one doctor died of a heart attack due to the stress). It's like a horror movie.

Nobody really knows the true extent of this - the people know because of SARS that their government will lie. Western researchers are estimating that China's official numbers represent about 5% of the actual numbers.

Then they shut down the train and airport, taking away your easiest (or for some, only) options to get out of there. Roads around you are being blocked with piles of dirt, or if you do get out, people from neighboring cities won't take kindly to you, and will treat you like a direct threat to their lives. (not blaming anyone for this - it's very contagious, and people can carry it without showing any symptoms)

If escape isn't an option, you just have to sit and wait it out, and simply hope the virus isn't deadly enough to kill you once you inevitably get infected. Maybe you and your wife survive, but your children and parents don't. For these people, it's hardly a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

During this time, you probably don't want to go near other people. Food will be scarce. There will be looting and possibly vandalism and who knows what else?

Just put yourself in that mindset for a second before thinking how funny it is that they are ground zero for possibly the worst pandemic we've seen since the Spanish Flu. You're rightfully upset about birth tourism, but come on.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:59 AM   #113
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,289 Times in 2,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
Plus you don’t wish anyone to get sick.
Oh on this point alone, I beg to differ. I wish every leading gov representative in Carrie Lam's cacuss (including Carrie Lam herself, of course) will get sick and die the most miserable, prolonged, and painful death possible. For everything that they have done (or not done) to sell Hong Kong out, they deserve nothing less than that.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-25-2020, 01:01 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Oh on this point alone, I beg to differ. I wish every leading gov representative in Carrie Lam's cacuss (including Carrie Lam herself, of course) will get sick and die the most miserable, prolonged, and painful death possible. For everything that they have done (or not done) to sell Hong Kong out, they deserve nothing less than that.
BTW

Old 01-25-2020, 10:37 AM   #115
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
Few post on FB got me mad.
1) HKongers says the gov't should have shut down and bar flights from Wuhan from beginning. There's not one country doing so, what makes you think HK as a city has the right to go beyond Center of Disease to pull that kind of rank and power.

2) Go on strike at hospitals cause these Mainlanders are getting people sick in HK.
My mom is ER in HK for 15 years, and OR for another 10, my dad is doing chemo right now so I have the utmost respect to health care. No OT and at times risking their lives.

They can't pick and choose based on color and race to rescue / heal. What makes you think we can do so in China.

Who is to say my department is more at risk so I'm going to strike, whereas if your mom and dad got into a car accident, can't go on strike.

As to Skinny's comment, being at ground zero or even close to it is hard to imagine.

11 million people in Wuhan (that's entire BC + Alberta population together), 1300 confirmed cases globally. Let's assume its 130,000 are current affected, that's the entire population of maple ridge, or Coquitlam. Maybe if Richmond was ground zero, I can see Richmond being a gong show, how will it really affected Abbotsford, Hope, Whistler, kamloops would be interesting if that ever happened.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:58 AM   #116
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Welp... you know the shit is getting serious when US is evacuating consulate staff and citizens out of Wuhan.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN1ZO0FM
Old 01-25-2020, 12:13 PM   #117
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,289 Times in 2,507 Posts
I understand your frustrations, and I agree that medical staff are essential service providers that should not go on strike under normal circumstances.

On the other hand, what tools would front line medical staff have when the totally undemocratic bastard gov is selling you out stright to your death? Cuz the other option for these medical staff is mass resignation.

If you don't already know, Hong Kong medical services have already been long overstretched. Every flu season, hospital usage dramatically exceeds capacity -- I seem to remember reading usage stats in the under 120% range. They are chronically short staffed, and the HK gov has long proven to not give a damn about the medical sector's call for help. And now in the face of this massive epidemic, the HK gov's refusal to do anything at the border means floods of sick Chinese patients will swmap the HK hospital systems. The (HK hospital) system is practically ready to burst any minute now. Isolation ward usage is already near capacity at many places. HK01, a Mainlander-funded Hong Kong newspaper that pretends to be politically neutral, published a news article yesterday saying that the ER at Prince of Wales Hospital have already been flooded with patients showing flu-like symptoms, with scores of them claiming to have come from Wuhan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
1) HKongers says the gov't should have shut down and bar flights from Wuhan from beginning. There's not one country doing so, what makes you think HK as a city has the right to go beyond Center of Disease to pull that kind of rank and power.

2) Go on strike at hospitals cause these Mainlanders are getting people sick in HK.
My mom is ER in HK for 15 years, and OR for another 10, my dad is doing chemo right now so I have the utmost respect to health care. No OT and at times risking their lives.

They can't pick and choose based on color and race to rescue / heal. What makes you think we can do so in China.

Who is to say my department is more at risk so I'm going to strike, whereas if your mom and dad got into a car accident, can't go on strike.

As to Skinny's comment, being at ground zero or even close to it is hard to imagine.

11 million people in Wuhan (that's entire BC + Alberta population together), 1300 confirmed cases globally. Let's assume its 130,000 are current affected, that's the entire population of maple ridge, or Coquitlam. Maybe if Richmond was ground zero, I can see Richmond being a gong show, how will it really affected Abbotsford, Hope, Whistler, kamloops would be interesting if that ever happened.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2020, 01:42 PM   #118
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Looks like mainlanders have brought into Canada. First case being confirmed in Ontario.
buhdeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 01:51 PM   #119
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:

IN china if you don't have the $$$ hospital won't even admit you.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 02:37 PM   #120
I don't get it

funny... haven't seen a single "pray for wuhan" photo on social media. But when it's a "tourist" destination, I always see this(ie. pray for paris)

Last edited by xjc11; 01-25-2020 at 02:47 PM.
xjc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 02:53 PM   #121
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
Koalas > Mainlanders?

i joke, i joke
Old 01-25-2020, 03:19 PM   #122
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
So this may be the Year of the Rat, but if it gets any worse, we might have to call this, the year of the Bat!

I don't buy it, but it makes for good story.............. bat soup, lol.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:22 PM   #123
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,186 Times in 239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
This virus isn't airborne, so the only thing the mask needs to do is block droplets from going into your nose and mouth. You don't need a respirator or even N95.

BTW China has now locked down 16 cities, putting 46 million people essentially in quarantine.

They are taking extremely drastic measures to control this. That's good, but it makes me wonder if the actual numbers are much much higher than they are saying.

HK protesters are going to try to shut down the high speed rail. 4 out of the 5 cases here have come in from Wuhan on that train.
I'm curious, what sources have you read and claimed that Coronavirus isn't airborne?

So far we know that it can be spread if someone coughs or sneezes close to another person, so airborne really isn't out of the question.

At this point, we don't even know the incubation period or the period of infection where the virus can be spread to another person. There are still a lot more information that's not confirmed at this point.
is350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:59 PM   #124

Quote:

Other countries have blocked travelers from Wuhan (before their airport was blocked) Taiwan did it immediately, and Philippines sent a flight back to China. HK has now blocked Wuhan but a lot of people want all of China to be blocked.

Considering the proximity and that fact that there is still effectively a border, I think it would be prudent to close the border completely to Mainland visitors for the time being.

It's possibly too late anyway. There could be hundreds of people with the virus right now, and won't know it for another 2 weeks.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2020, 04:01 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by is350 View Post
I'm curious, what sources have you read and claimed that Coronavirus isn't airborne?

So far we know that it can be spread if someone coughs or sneezes close to another person, so airborne really isn't out of the question.

At this point, we don't even know the incubation period or the period of infection where the virus can be spread to another person. There are still a lot more information that's not confirmed at this point.
The virus itself isn't floating around in the air - It needs to ride on a droplet of saliva or mucous. So it can be sent on an airborne particle (a cough or a sneeze), but the virus itself dies when it gets dry.

This is why you don't really need an N95 mask - it's not a tiny particle that will go through a normal mask. You just need to prevent infected mucous or saliva from entering your mouth, nose, and eyes (a HK medical official advised yesterday that people should consider wearing glasses in public places)
This post thanked by: