REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-02-2022, 09:26 AM   #14751
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
I'm being silly, but I'm really tired of wearing these fucking masks. This better be over by summer.
Why wear them now? I go to superstore or save on foods every day to grab ingredients for dinner and it seems like a growing trend where each time I see someone not wearing a mask at all or just walking around with it under their chin with no repercussion from security or anyone else enforcing them to put it on.

on a side note - was listening to the radio this morning on the way to work and a clip popped up saying few Canadians know that we can travel to Point Roberts and back without providing proof of a covid test. Anyone try going there? There's a package I want to get but having it sent to Canada sends it's international shipping costs sky high while it's free shipping to the US. Quite tempted to go and spend 15 minutes there.

had to look it up - https://www.delta-optimist.com/local...mption-5001470
Advertisement
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2022, 09:36 AM   #14752
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
At this point we all don’t want to be wearing masks and so many of us being triple vaxxed and maybe even had covid, we know it’s not necessary, but who are you sticking it to at the grocery store by not wearing it?
It’s not Bonnie. It’s some low wage employee or some old lady made to feel uncomfortable. Just be polite, even if you think it’s stupid.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:47 AM   #14753
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,459 Times in 5,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
on a side note - was listening to the radio this morning on the way to work and a clip popped up saying few Canadians know that we can travel to Point Roberts and back without providing proof of a covid test. Anyone try going there? There's a package I want to get but having it sent to Canada sends it's international shipping costs sky high while it's free shipping to the US. Quite tempted to go and spend 15 minutes there.

It's in the order crossing thread, I've been up and down to PR a couple times the last 2 weeks. They asked nothing in both directions... not even proof of vaccination (although I did bring it). You still have to fill out ArriveCAN though and the crossing is obtusely named "Boundary Bay (YDT)" just so you know.

I did see the car ahead of me get a take home test-kit handed to them coming back the second time.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2022, 09:49 AM   #14754
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
The people who refuse to wear masks now are the absolute asshole scum of society. You expect a grocery store worker making minimum wage to be called a piece of shit and threatened just for asking someone [politely] to please wear their mask?
Old 02-02-2022, 10:35 AM   #14755
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,363 Times in 5,657 Posts
Should pull their boot straps up then!
Old 02-02-2022, 10:40 AM   #14756
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,699 Times in 1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
The people who refuse to wear masks now are the absolute asshole scum of society. You expect a grocery store worker making minimum wage to be called a piece of shit and threatened just for asking someone [politely] to please wear their mask?
You can tell these assholes are just begging someone to call them out on it so they can cause a scene.

That anti-masker moron at our building I talked about a few pages ago? Recently he assaulted an old man (literally beat him bloody) because the old guy asked him to wear a mask in the elevator. Police were called, everything.

It's funny someone keeps putting up a note in the community board essentially doxxing the idiot, and someone keeps tearing it down.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2022, 11:31 AM   #14757
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
I have tossed a few anti-makers out. Guy even tried to fight me. I could just let them in and not say anything but fuckem.

https://twitter.com/PnPCBC/status/12...SPmvBrg6JbioCA
Old 02-02-2022, 11:49 AM   #14758
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,699 Times in 1,626 Posts
Truckers: Fuck Trudeau! Remove him!
Trudeau: No, fuck you.
O'Toole: Truckers, I am here for you.
CPC: We have removed O'Toole.

???
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2022, 11:51 AM   #14759
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
Why wear them now? I go to superstore or save on foods every day to grab ingredients for dinner and it seems like a growing trend where each time I see someone not wearing a mask at all or just walking around with it under their chin with no repercussion from security or anyone else enforcing them to put it on.

I know people who that do that crap, go into stores/malls walk around without a mask. That's just not for me.

I'm covered in tattoos, I workout a lot, and I'm colored. I give enough reason to old white folks to look at me with trepidation, and false stereotypes.

I prefer to not feed into those stereotypes -- thus I continue to begrudgingly wear my stupid mask around
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2022, 12:07 PM   #14760
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
..... WTF did we do in the last 2yrs with our health system?
How long do you think it takes to train someone not currently in the health care system to become a health care worker?

I recall the government trying to entice people to study as a care aid and for aid cares to become lpn's. Well adding care aids to the health care system doesn't get you very far. Changing care aids into lpn's doesn't help hospitals when hospitals delete lpn positions and replace them with RNs.

You have many health care workers leaving the health care system too due to the pandemic.

Saw a recent article with people saying they are willing and ready to work as a nurse but some external factor is slow to act. Well I bet you that many of them are working as a care aid, waiting for their credentials from another country to be transferred to Canada. This doesn't add people to the health care system as a whole. How does a system that relies a lot in physical labour increase capacity as to not be overwhelmed the system when no one wants to join it?

Certainly ain't no RS baller 250k income for those working in health care. *except for the less than a handful of physicians on here.

Edit:spoon may be an exception to the 250k because his OT hours are ridiculous

Last edited by SSM_DC5; 02-02-2022 at 12:13 PM.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 12:09 PM   #14761

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Thoughts on Denmark leading Europe in removing all COVID restrictions? Sweden, Norway to follow in a week, then the UK even. For Denmark, they were stating high vax rates and high levels of government trust amongst its population combined with good infrastructure and low corruption rates. With cases and even deaths increasing in some areas this seems like a bold move. Unvaxxed/vaxxed holdings hands unmasked in a movie theatre while other parts of the world have lockdowns still.

I wonder what the media message has been like over the past two years in terms of people's fear level. If Canada lifted everything today I feel that a large majority would still mask up and look down at the unvaxxed for the sake of feeling secure. Curious how the public there will react to such a sudden change.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 12:11 PM   #14762

^ we already discussed this and there are dozens of articles bringing up the same issues 15-20 years ago.

The govt. never enacted any real change to the system and then a pandemic landed in their lap and they were caught completely unprepared.

The coquihalla/HWY 1 project is the perfect example as to how money solves any issue. If you need more nurses and you need to attract people to the progression, you pay them more, period. I think in the vast majority of non-management roles, if people got paid more they would be happy to overlook the shortcomings of their position.
Old 02-02-2022, 12:13 PM   #14763

Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
Thoughts on Denmark leading Europe in removing all COVID restrictions? Sweden, Norway to follow in a week, then the UK even. For Denmark, they were stating high vax rates and high levels of government trust amongst its population combined with good infrastructure and low corruption rates. With cases and even deaths increasing in some areas this seems like a bold move. Unvaxxed/vaxxed holdings hands unmasked in a movie theatre while other parts of the world have lockdowns still.

I wonder what the media message has been like over the past two years in terms of people's fear level. If Canada lifted everything today I feel that a large majority would still mask up and look down at the unvaxxed for the sake of feeling secure. Curious how the public there will react to such a sudden change.
BeCaUsE BOrIS WaNTs PoWER!!

All the while Ireland also followed suit while not answering to Boris at all.

Western societies will -never- adopt mask usage like Asian cultures, regardless of how hard some people in this thread would love that to continue.
Old 02-02-2022, 12:56 PM   #14764

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
BeKus WhIte ppl?
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 01:08 PM   #14765
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,390 Times in 1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
^ we already discussed this and there are dozens of articles bringing up the same issues 15-20 years ago.

The govt. never enacted any real change to the system and then a pandemic landed in their lap and they were caught completely unprepared.

The coquihalla/HWY 1 project is the perfect example as to how money solves any issue. If you need more nurses and you need to attract people to the progression, you pay them more, period. I think in the vast majority of non-management roles, if people got paid more they would be happy to overlook the shortcomings of their position.
Hmm let's see:

Get paid 6-figures to sit your ass at home and post on RS half the time take 2 hour lunch breaks, watch Netflix,etc.

OR

Get paid a little under 6-figures (with OT) and risk getting a nasty virus/assaulted/cleaning up people's excrement/watch people break down/watch people die.

I don't you know about you but how much are you willing to pay for #2 for it to sound attractive? How much are you willing to see your taxes go up? God bless the nurses in the profession and the ones coming up but a big nuh-uh for me or anyone in the same household as me.

You could pay me 300K/year and give me a free house in Shaughnessy and I'd still have to think about it.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2022, 02:20 PM   #14766

Thanked 4,811 Times in 1,770 Posts
Well, to be fair in the pre-pandemic times nursing was a field people got into because it was basically a guaranteed stable, decent paying job.

The risk of a massive health event that caused things to blow up was always present.

It's kind of like people joining the armed forces in peaceful times, and then being shocked that when a war breaks out and they have to be sent to fight it.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 02:29 PM   #14767
linguistic ninja

Exactly, and the largest generation in the world is getting old and sicker every passing year.

This crisis in healthcare isn't going away anytime soon.

Old 02-02-2022, 02:36 PM   #14768

I think you underestimate the value people put in stable employment with a pension, benefits, vacation etc.

If some of the barriers were removed for entry I think a lot more people would get into it. All the nurses I’ve known/know love the profession. But maybe they got into it for the “right” reasons instead of monetary gain.

Either way, We can’t go on as a society with 75+ year olds clogging up the hospitals to the point of delaying surgeries etc. pandemic or not
Old 02-02-2022, 02:47 PM   #14769

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
It was at this moment that he knew....... He fucked up

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Truckers: Fuck Trudeau! Remove him!
Trudeau: No, fuck you.
O'Toole: Truckers, I am here for you.
CPC: We have removed O'Toole.

???
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 03:36 PM   #14770

A smart move would be to remove barriers preventing people from getting into the healthcare system.
I’m sure there’s plenty of people that are not in a financial position for post secondary education whether it be nursing school or med school that would excel in either position.
But providing post secondary to the poors is communism so many of the same people wondering why we haven’t addressed the shortcomings in the health care system would shit a brick at the prospect.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2022, 03:49 PM   #14771
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
How long do you think it takes to train someone not currently in the health care system to become a health care worker?

I recall the government trying to entice people to study as a care aid and for aid cares to become lpn's. Well adding care aids to the health care system doesn't get you very far. Changing care aids into lpn's doesn't help hospitals when hospitals delete lpn positions and replace them with RNs.

You have many health care workers leaving the health care system too due to the pandemic.

Saw a recent article with people saying they are willing and ready to work as a nurse but some external factor is slow to act. Well I bet you that many of them are working as a care aid, waiting for their credentials from another country to be transferred to Canada. This doesn't add people to the health care system as a whole. How does a system that relies a lot in physical labour increase capacity as to not be overwhelmed the system when no one wants to join it?

Certainly ain't no RS baller 250k income for those working in health care. *except for the less than a handful of physicians on here.

Edit:spoon may be an exception to the 250k because his OT hours are ridiculous
I'm not suggesting to remove every restriction. But if you are going to introduce restrictions, it better have some purpose.

At this point, where we have thousands of cases (only taking account those who qualified to be tested) on a daily basis. Clearly, our travel restriction is too little too late. Then, what is the point by insisting it?

Instead, take initiative. Yes, I know new nurses and doctors and hospital (beds) don't come overnight. But our clown gov't ain't doing shit to promote the idea of increasing capacity. The idea is not to increase it for now... it's to increase to a level that we can say that we are ready... whatever new variant or pandemic going to hit us in the foreseeable future. Not to mention we already had shortages from time to time BEFORE the pandemic. Why not take this as an opportunity to finally fix it?

Closing borders, gyms and limiting restaurants are not doing shit to limit the spread. It just breaks havoc in our economy. For many, they don't have the luxury to sit at home and wait it out. They don't work, their very livelihood is on the line. How much longer can you send CERB checks as a society? And how is a family going to live with CERB checks alone? The vast portion of the whole inflation is caused by workforce shortage. With CERB payment, people need to choose between work vs. CERB. And if my wage is less than or close to CERB, why would I work?

Thus, promote people to go back to work. Set policy in place to help businesses with their employees so that they hire more than they actually need to account for any employee calling in sick. This way, the economy can move forward. And more importantly, pay more (in a form of subsidy) or promote people to get into the healthcare field. So we have more supply of healthcare professionals and infrastructure.

It's better late than never. But we are doing exactly the latter... never.
Old 02-02-2022, 03:54 PM   #14772
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,015 Times in 1,911 Posts
Actually, the easiest and fastest way to get more nurses is to fast track certification of nurses who were trained and licensed already in other countries! Just create online modules that they have to complete (whatever difference there may be from the training in their country) and make them pass those. Bam ...more nurses quickly.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2022, 04:03 PM   #14773
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
I'm not suggesting to remove every restriction. But if you are going to introduce restrictions, it better have some purpose.

At this point, where we have thousands of cases (only taking account those who qualified to be tested) on a daily basis. Clearly, our travel restriction is too little too late. Then, what is the point by insisting it?

Instead, take initiative. Yes, I know new nurses and doctors and hospital (beds) don't come overnight. But our clown gov't ain't doing shit to promote the idea of increasing capacity. The idea is not to increase it for now... it's to increase to a level that we can say that we are ready... whatever new variant or pandemic going to hit us in the foreseeable future. Not to mention we already had shortages from time to time BEFORE the pandemic. Why not take this as an opportunity to finally fix it?

Closing borders, gyms and limiting restaurants are not doing shit to limit the spread. It just breaks havoc in our economy. For many, they don't have the luxury to sit at home and wait it out. They don't work, their very livelihood is on the line. How much longer can you send CERB checks as a society? And how is a family going to live with CERB checks alone? The vast portion of the whole inflation is caused by workforce shortage. With CERB payment, people need to choose between work vs. CERB. And if my wage is less than or close to CERB, why would I work?

Thus, promote people to go back to work. Set policy in place to help businesses with their employees so that they hire more than they actually need to account for any employee calling in sick. This way, the economy can move forward. And more importantly, pay more (in a form of subsidy) or promote people to get into the healthcare field. So we have more supply of healthcare professionals and infrastructure.

It's better late than never. But we are doing exactly the latter... never.
CERB hasn't been a thing for over a year now. And all the support programs that replaced it will run out, just like regular EI. People haven't stopped working because they're on the dole. They don't want to work shitty jobs in shitty conditions for shitty pay. People are realizing they only have one life to live and if they can manage it why would they waste it dealing with sick, deranged or otherwise unpleasant people day in and day out?

All of what you are asking for - a wholesale overhaul of the healthcare system will take a huge amount of government spending. And where do you think that'll come from? Your pocket. My pocket. Massive redistribution of wealth is needed. It's almost like umm..what you call it...SOCIALISM! Yes that dreaded S world you are so adamant against from your previous posts. Tell me have you changed your views? Because I can't seem to see these views being reconciled in your head.

I'm not saying this isn't a problem worth fixing, but it's a massive problem that's affecting countries all over the world even ones without Socialized Healthcare *ahem* US *ahem*. Throwing money at it is not the only thing that's going to work.

This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2022, 04:48 PM   #14774
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Idiots planning protests across Canada on the 5th.

Old 02-02-2022, 05:05 PM   #14775

That’s a shitload of rules for a freedom convoy.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by: