REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   coronavirus discussion (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716747-coronavirus-discussion.html)

JSALES 02-12-2022 10:29 AM

I paid for a PCR test from Life Labs FlyClear just to see if I was still positive from getting covid last month. I’m going to the US for a few days and don’t want to get stuck there in case I still test positive even though I’m already symptom free. I was hoping I would still test positive but it came back negative. It would’ve been better if it was a positive result and I would be good for 180 days entering Canada

donk. 02-12-2022 12:47 PM

Came back from mehico with two buddies,

One had covid a month prior to leaving so he had the 180 day pass, they didn't even question him at airports

Me and my other buddy both did the pcr in mehico, and one forced test on arrival to Calgary (I think about 50% of people passing gates were required to do so, 10 stations on standby) all tests negative

I kept hearing the PCR test is horrific, and held back from flying for that reason. Theres nothing to it, of maybe they don't insert the chip into the brain any more

SkinnyPupp 02-13-2022 12:51 AM

As expected, they changed the rules here so if you test positive but have no symptoms, you can stay home. They filled up all their quarantines and hospitals with healthy people that have covid, and now that there's an actual outbreak, they need the space for actual sick people.

This was the main policy I wanted to avoid, assuming I'll get it eventually. I don't want to have everything fucked up if it ends up being not serious. And if it is serious, I want to be able to get treatment.

I don't know what the overall numbers are like, but 2 kids got it really bad this week. One 4 year old boy died the other night, and now they have a 3 year old girl on ECMO. Everyone else who is really sick are in their 80's with chronic disease. Most are vaccinated, but most old people get Sinovac.

RiceIntegraRS 02-13-2022 09:52 AM

Covid finally hit my family. My 2 yr old son got sick first, i think he got it from school then he passed it along to my 6 month old daughter then me and my wife ended up getting sick. We both took the rapid test while my wife tested positive, i tested negative. We are both boosted. Im sure im positive though. I guess we are abit lucky since it didnt really hit us hard. I would describe it as being the weakest cold ive gotten. It affected my wife and daughter alil worse than my son. But nothing we couldnt manage. My brothers family(hit mildy) and my sister n brother in law(in law) all caught covid last month aswell and the girls were hit harder than the guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by donk. (Post 9054312)
One had covid a month prior to leaving so he had the 180 day pass, they didn't even question him at airports

can someone explain this 180 day pass thing for travel? Does my wife keep her positive test stick around as comfirmation cause on the canada website u need comirmation for a positive test.

320icar 02-13-2022 10:37 AM

Seems to be one hell of a difference between omicron and delta.

acrophobia 02-13-2022 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS (Post 9054366)
can someone explain this 180 day pass thing for travel? Does my wife keep her positive test stick around as comfirmation cause on the canada website u need comirmation for a positive test.

I believe you need an official PCR test result and maybe even a doctors note; rapid test won’t exempt you from travel testing.

6793026 02-13-2022 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 9054369)
Seems to be one hell of a difference between omicron and delta.

yup so people have to realize it's not covid is nothing, it's just the strain that causes less issues / symptoms.
no one was laughing at all and called it a flu when Delta was hard hitting.

westopher 02-13-2022 06:54 PM

Omicron is still making shitloads of people sick, and killing lots of people. I think a big part of it being “mild” is that vaccinated people get it and think “oh man it’s shitty but it’s not that bad”
I know there is science behind it, but if 70% of people that are getting it are protected against it, it’s going to be a common reaction that it’s not that serious compared to previous incarnations that were infecting 80% people that had no protection.

whitev70r 02-13-2022 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 9054422)
I know there is science behind it, but if 70% of people that are getting it are protected against it, it’s going to be a common reaction that it’s not that serious compared to previous incarnations that were infecting 80% people that had no protection.

Don't try to convince anti-vaxxer, anti-maskers this ... it won't work. They just want their 'freeeeedom'.

SkinnyPupp 02-13-2022 11:21 PM

Last HK spam for a while I promise. This was too funny not to share

mikemhg 02-14-2022 09:50 AM

^Oof, they've been taking a beating financially as well..

The company has shrunk in half over these last 2 years.

HonestTea 02-14-2022 11:16 AM

All you need is proof of a positive PCR test and you're exempt for 180 days?

Edit: Do you need another PCR test of recovery?

inv4zn 02-14-2022 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestTea (Post 9054481)
All you need is proof of a positive PCR test and you're exempt for 180 days?

Edit: Do you need another PCR test of recovery?

No, but the positive PCR test has to be (I think) at least a week before your flight (ie. you can't have a positive test from yesterday to fly today).

Rallydrv 02-14-2022 04:54 PM

i just got back from my trip. i did mark on App that i had covid 10-180 days. I did have proof of pcr. but they didn't check at the airport. (depends who u get).

also remember, some airlines will ask proof of recovery on way back (country's requirement), I knew this, So to bypass that i booked a flight to Seattle via yvr, and had a negative antigen to show at the airport and (US requires only neg antigen done at a clinic). i did wait 15 days after my pcr. 3 days after i felt symptoms.

they even won't short check my luggage, thankfully at ana lounge, I was able to get them to do this during the stopover in japan.

EvoFire 02-14-2022 10:10 PM

It's our turn I guess. Son started having a fever yesterday evening and spiked to 40C at one point. He's a lot better now but we took him to get tested anyways. Came back positive.

inv4zn 02-14-2022 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvoFire (Post 9054558)
It's our turn I guess. Son started having a fever yesterday evening and spiked to 40C at one point. He's a lot better now but we took him to get tested anyways. Came back positive.

Damn, 40 is really high...but good to hear he's doing better.

How old is he? Any idea who got it first?

SkinnyPupp 02-14-2022 10:43 PM

Keep an eye on your kids with this shit... 40 C is really high. We had a 4 year old die here the other day, and 3 year old is on ECMO. That's not good for a wave that is just starting.

They just lowered the vaccination age to 3 with sinovac

Edit: the girl died today

EvoFire 02-15-2022 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inv4zn (Post 9054559)
Damn, 40 is really high...but good to hear he's doing better.

How old is he? Any idea who got it first?

2 years 5 months. It is high so we talked to the doctor yesterday. She recommended we go get tested as it's really the only thing going around right now.

We are 99% sure he got it from daycare. We have friends who have kids that caught it, and the symptoms were similar, really bad for one night and then it trails off quickly and everything is fine.

EvoFire 02-15-2022 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 9054560)
Keep an eye on your kids with this shit... 40 C is really high. We had a 4 year old die here the other day, and 3 year old is on ECMO. That's not good for a wave that is just starting.

They just lowered the vaccination age to 3 with sinovac

Edit: the girl died today

Yeah we were tripping out at 40C, but he was still very cognizant and was laughing with us about things, very unlike when he catches a bad cold/flu where he just derps on the couch and does nothing.

StylinRed 02-15-2022 07:34 AM

My friends grandpa passed over the weekend, didn't know he had covid until he was admitted into hospital friday and then passed away Saturday morning

SSM_DC5 02-15-2022 08:21 AM

^friend thought the grandpa was just tired and sleeping more and more. Then brought into hospital when they noticed he wasn't breathing properly?

Hakkaboy 02-15-2022 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvoFire (Post 9054600)
Yeah we were tripping out at 40C, but he was still very cognizant and was laughing with us about things, very unlike when he catches a bad cold/flu where he just derps on the couch and does nothing.

My 2.5 yr old daughter had 40c fever for 7 days straight. Still unclear to this day what it was. This was pre-covid.

Anyways, we found that advil worked better than tylenol to bring the fever down as we were cycling through both

EvoFire 02-15-2022 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hakkaboy (Post 9054609)
My 2.5 yr old daughter had 40c fever for 7 days straight. Still unclear to this day what it was. This was pre-covid.

Anyways, we found that advil worked better than tylenol to bring the fever down as we were cycling through both

We found advil worked better for all 3 of us whenever we need to bring down a fever or headache. The problem with advil is having to take it with food.

inv4zn 02-15-2022 09:11 AM

Sheesh, we have an (almost) 2 year old and that shit scares me - 40C fever is no joke, regardless of how short/long it lasts.

Hakkaboy 02-15-2022 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inv4zn (Post 9054621)
Sheesh, we have an (almost) 2 year old and that shit scares me - 40C fever is no joke, regardless of how short/long it lasts.

The main thing is to monitor mood and behaviour. If they still behave somewhat 'normal', then don't panic...yet lol