REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   coronavirus discussion (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716747-coronavirus-discussion.html)

SSM_DC5 03-22-2020 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 (Post 8979291)
Perhaps now is a good time to tell you all that I'm one of your healthcare workers. Been in the hospital system since 2008 working in areas including emergency, cancer care and pharmacy. I can tell you with absolute certainty that all PPE are crucial at this point.

[...]
To end, I can also share the fact that I am now in Day 6 of my isolation period. I came in contact with a patient who eventually tested positive. Here's the kicker: they came in for something COMPLETELY unrelated. It was only much later that they presented with respiratory symptoms and were immediately tested. I literally haven't left my building this entire time because I am taking this seriously even though I have been completely asymptomatic this entire time. I can tell you for a fact I'd much rather be helping out at work than sitting here typing this long ass post but I have no choice in the matter. Perhaps my personal insight can be helpful to those reading. Thankfully, many friends and coworkers have been checking up on me and offering to pick up groceries/supplies for me. It's been very humbling to see all the support and I hope that we as human beings can do so for others around us as well.

You get paid LOA during isolation?

westopher 03-22-2020 04:32 PM

I thought LOA was unpaid?

spoon.ek9 03-22-2020 04:45 PM

There is a fund setup for mandatory quarantines.

I had a bit of an idea regarding masks for the general population. I agree that everyone should wear a mask right now so perhaps we can all get on board (those of us able to) with making some for personal use.

I think this would be a great way to ensure the surgical grade ones are left for hospital as well as have stock for you and your family/friends. Heck, this could be a great way to show kids that they can contribute positively to society and give them something constructive to do while stuck at home. The only thing I would note is that you can substitute the plastic part with some safety goggles. Re-usable and easy to disinfect.

Just a thought.

GS8 03-22-2020 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsmb (Post 8979258)
Update:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

USA COVID-19 projections / actual

March 5: 201 / 221
March 6: 271 / 319
March 7: 366 / 435
March 8: 494 / 541
March 9: 667 / 704
March 10: 900 / 994
March 11: 1,215 / 1,301
March 12: 1,640 / 1,697
March 13: 2,214 / 2,247
March 14: 2,989 / 2,943
March 15: 4,035 / 3,680
March 16: 5,447 / 4,663
March 17: 7,353 / 6,411
March 18: 9,926 / 9,259
March 19: 13,400 / 13,789
March 20: 18,090 / 19,393
March 21: 24,421 / 24,207
March 22: 32,968
March 23: 44,496
March 24: 60,070
March 25: 81,094
March 26: 109,477
March 27: 147,794
March 28: 199,522
March 29: 269,355
March 30: 363,629
March 31: 490,899
April 1: 662,714

:heckno:

Man, the USA wants to be number 1 in EVERYTHING :facepalm:

SSM_DC5 03-22-2020 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 (Post 8979298)
There is a fund setup for mandatory quarantines.

That's good. Is your hospital swabbing with n95's on? Asking because of this article.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/mobile/n...mask-1.4863081

spoon.ek9 03-22-2020 04:57 PM

that's a good question. I can ask my coworkers who got swabbed.

hud 91gt 03-22-2020 05:06 PM

It seemed On today’s Public Address there may be some fairly aggressive changes coming Tuesday.

Manic! 03-22-2020 05:51 PM

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/l...aDx1URPgkVHaoE

7-11 gas station in Parksville shut down because an employee tested positive. Do not go to a store unless you absolutely have to.

Special K 03-22-2020 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 8979282)
Well if there's one silver lining to being forced to stay home is that it's really fast tracked my kid's potty training. Finally done with diapers!

Us too

welfare 03-22-2020 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 (Post 8979291)
Perhaps now is a good time to tell you all that I'm one of your healthcare workers. Been in the hospital system since 2008 working in areas including emergency, cancer care and pharmacy. I can tell you with absolute certainty that all PPE are crucial at this point.

We are especially short (and have run out on certain days) of surgical masks with the plastic face shield. This is exactly what is used for droplet precautions by anyone who needs to be in close contact with the patients. When they run out, there is no other option other than to wear what is available which in this specific case is surgical masks. For the time being, you are correct. We do have available surgical mask supply that is being rationed to each department as necessary and in order of importance. N95 as mentioned many times in this thread is intended for airborne precautions which for covid patients would mean when any aerosol generating procedure is necessary...

Thank you for your service and all that you may endure in our uncertain future, being on the frontline.

I wonder if Ontario will share some of these, seeing as how we have about the same number of cases...

https://globalnews.ca/news/6715814/c...masks-ontario/

Quote:

The Government of Ontario has confirmed to Global News they are looking at using expired medical supplies to deal with the growing coronavirus outbreak in the province.

Approximately 55 million N95 respirator masks were stockpiled in Ontario after the SARS epidemic in 2002.

Officials would only confirm the expiration of those masks but did not reveal how many are left in the stockpile that could potentially be deployed.

Okami 03-22-2020 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 (Post 8979300)
That's good. Is your hospital swabbing with n95's on? Asking because of this article.

This is the issue we are having in our workplace. Although currently the recommendations state N95 should only be used during aerosol producing procedures. Many nurses ignore this and use N95 mask for all cases of positive/pending COVID cases.

Seeing as our supplies are likely going to be low soon I don’t want to be working when we run out of N95 masks due to misuse and need to perform an aerosol producing procedure.

Skinny posted a 3 links and one of them states that even when patients cough there have been studies which showed aerosols remained in the air for minutes to hours.

Sort of hard when there’s no clear cut answer.

On an unrelated note. You can also make masks from puppy pee liners. There’s even a waterproof side which could block any liquids from passing through the mask.

https://www.facebook.com/25667255366...30605535/?vh=e

SkinnyPupp 03-22-2020 07:14 PM

In case the greedy fuckers at IOC actually go through with the insane idea of not postponing:

I saw an athlete post a poll on twitter to other athletes, and most of them said they would go if the Olympics happened. "Because it's the Olympics!"

This guy was the only good response I saw when I looked through the answers:

spoon.ek9 03-22-2020 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 (Post 8979300)

so the answer to this question appears to be no. that is very concerning for our testing staff.

westopher 03-22-2020 07:27 PM

Fuck the IOC. They have been fucking any athlete or community they can in the name of money and notoriety.

welfare 03-22-2020 07:50 PM

So what's the deal with Japan?

-next door to China
-extremely high population density
-oldest population in the world
-high number of smokers
-first case reported over 2 months ago
-imposed very few restrictive measures

I mean, you could say that the numbers are due to low testing, but with their aged population and density, you would see a rapid increase in hospitalization if it were attempted to be covered up.
AFAIK the government also doesn't censor social media like China, so i think if their numbers weren't genuinely low you would hear about this from the public.

https://www.ft.com/__origami/service...next&width=700

Ludepower 03-22-2020 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acura604 (Post 8979283)
what are the chances of full city lockdown this week?

i know they've finally addressed the idiots hanging around the parks/beaches...

i've got a new rental April 1st at one of my properties and the would-be tenants want to move in early so not to be affected by the potential lock down.. although i would think the city would give some advance notice.

Hoping it was tomorrow the start of a new work week. They need to give advance notice to the tradesman who are in the middle of construction and tools to pack up.

Were gonna have desperate homeless people wandering around scoping closed businesses. Cops are not in the mood to go around touching people either.

fliptuner 03-22-2020 07:59 PM

A couple of the independent, senior buildings I work at, are no longer allowing contractors into the buildings, unless it's an emergency.

SSM_DC5 03-22-2020 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okami (Post 8979316)
This is the issue we are having in our workplace. Although currently the recommendations state N95 should only be used during aerosol producing procedures. Many nurses ignore this and use N95 mask for all cases of positive/pending COVID cases.

Seeing as our supplies are likely going to be low soon I don’t want to be working when we run out of N95 masks due to misuse and need to perform an aerosol producing procedure.

Skinny posted a 3 links and one of them states that even when patients cough there have been studies which showed aerosols remained in the air for minutes to hours.

Sort of hard when there’s no clear cut answer.

On an unrelated note. You can also make masks from puppy pee liners. There’s even a waterproof side which could block any liquids from passing through the mask.

https://www.facebook.com/25667255366...30605535/?vh=e

Current recommendations is that N95 isn't necessary for swabbing. Thoughts going through my head after reviewing the list of aerosol producing procedure, specifically sputum induction and open airway suctioning. With the former, the goal is to cough, for the latter, the patient might cough. You might get coughed in the face while swabbing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 (Post 8979322)
so the answer to this question appears to be no. that is very concerning for our testing staff.

Is it a specific team that is collecting samples? If so, has anyone in the team tested positive?
If not a specific team, for the people you've asked, are they just using surgical mask and don't think too much about it? Or are they pushing for n95's?

SkinnyPupp 03-22-2020 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welfare (Post 8979328)
So what's the deal with Japan?

-next door to China
-extremely high population density
-oldest population in the world
-high number of smokers
-first case reported over 2 months ago
-imposed very few restrictive measures

I mean, you could say that the numbers are due to low testing, but with their aged population and density, you would see a rapid increase in hospitalization if it were attempted to be covered up.
AFAIK the government also doesn't censor social media like China, so i think if their numbers weren't genuinely low you would hear about this from the public.

https://www.ft.com/__origami/service...next&width=700

This is an editorial, not a science report, but an interesting insight on what might be going on in Japan

6793026 03-22-2020 08:26 PM

https://i.redd.it/9w573ghhywn41.png

HOLY FUCK.

it took Italy 17 days to get to 10k cases... GIVE or take fake or not, even if they lied 90% of the number... every country are lying also...
USA took 14 days... let's see how Canada will do its part in slowing this.. #socialdistancing #flattenthecurve
Yes Italy has 60 million people... USA has 323 M... still...
we all had the same "warning" from China and did nothing...

Mikoyan 03-22-2020 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ludepower (Post 8979329)
Hoping it was tomorrow the start of a new work week. They need to give advance notice to the tradesman who are in the middle of construction and tools to pack up.

Were gonna have desperate homeless people wandering around scoping closed businesses. Cops are not in the mood to go around touching people either.

Yup because they have to deal with this: https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/03...ough-covid-19/

Two Metro Vancouver transit officers are in self-isolation after a man intentionally coughed on one of them during an arrest Saturday afternoon.

Sgt. Clint Hampton says the suspect is alleged to have grabbed a man near the New Westminster SkyTrain station, before threatening transit staff while holding a knife.

“Officers attended, they placed the man under arrest. And while they were dealing with the man, the man leaned in toward one of our officers and allegedly deliberately coughed in one of our officers’ faces,” Hampton says.

Manic! 03-22-2020 08:35 PM

FUCK #socialdistancing it's time just to say way from any places people may be. Stay at home unless you absolutely have to go out. Don't go on a cruise/walk or a bike ride just stay at home. What the government is telling you is the bare minimum you should do.

Amuse 03-22-2020 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8979338)
FUCK #socialdistancing it's time just to say way from any places people may be. Stay at home unless you absolutely have to go out. Don't go on a cruise/walk or a bike ride just stay at home. What the government is telling you is the bare minimum you should do.

Not everyone can stay home. I predict a B.C. lockdown by the end of this week. By then more people will stay home. But the government still needs essential businesses and workers to work. That’s why not everyone can have the option to stay home.

When Wuhan was in lockdown, were all essential businesses and workers still working? I remember YouTube clips of the city had absolutely no people in them, as it seemed EVERYBODY was home.

Manic! 03-22-2020 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amuse (Post 8979340)
Not everyone can stay home. I predict a B.C. lockdown by the end of this week. By then more people will stay home. But the government still needs essential businesses and workers to work. That’s why not everyone can have the option to stay home.

When Wuhan was in lockdown, were all essential businesses and workers still working? I remember YouTube clips of the city had absolutely no people in them, as it seemed EVERYBODY was home.

I know some people can't stay at home but if you can do it.

a 40-year-old dentist from ladner my cousins new just passed away he was at the conference

Mr.HappySilp 03-22-2020 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amuse (Post 8979340)

Some of us still have to go to work…… luckily laptops are being setup so hopefully I can work from home. I feel sorry for the techs coz even with a lock down they still need to work……